The Empire Parnell Built

Germany: 1981 putsch
Because the Cultural Revolution infobox really felt like it should belong with yesterday's election infobox and not stand alone, have an extra update for today...

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 08.08.15.png

Screenshot 2022-01-09 at 08.08.37.png

Wow, 10% of the German population was on a list of traitors at one point? Did Thadden have a GDR-esque surveillance state going on?

It looks like Germany went from being TTL's Brazil equivalent to TTL's Colombia equivalent, if not Somalia. Damn. But that's what I like about this TL's use of parallelism. Instead of just taking Country A's history and pasting it into Country B, it puts enough twists to keep things original while still being recognizable.

A thirty-plus year civil war in Germany? That sounds particularly brutal alright. I take it that it's a more low level conflict with numerous sponsors of the different factions?

A thirty-plus year civil war in Germany? That sounds particularly brutal alright. I take it that it's a more low level conflict with numerous sponsors of the different factions?
Yes. For most of the conflict it's really more of a rural insurgency that occasionally bursts into urban areas.

How is Japan doing in this timeline? They where pretty far down on the Asian GDP list
Japan is under what's called "Joint Sino-British Administration" and has been since the end of the Nine Years War. What this looks like in practice is that the British and the Chinese each appoint a Chief Commissioner (commonly known as the "Gaijin Shogun" or "Yami Shogun" by the Japanese, for obvious reasons) who have the power to sit in cabinet, appoint defence ministers and have a generally large influence over government policy. There is an Imperial Diet which elects a Shogun to be the head of government and do prime ministerial things but all candidates have to be vetted by the Chief Commissioners' offices before the election. Given that the British and Chinese Empires haven't always been the best of friends over the past few decades, this basically means that the Japanese government has been dominated by moderate technocrats who try and be as inoffensive as possible. The Broad Pond Society has been the party of power since the 1950s and they pursue a generally economically and socially conservative programme. In terms of economic development, think of something broadly similar to a OTL Eastern Bloc country of the same time.

Will we get any insight as to why France went into this war? Going against some minor bit on the edge of a nation's sphere of influence is understandable, but going for the Channel Islands is borderline suicide.

Once we reach 2022, maybe we can focus on TTL's pop culture and the like as we haven't touched much on it?
I don't have specific plans for that, as there's another TL I already want to embark on when I'm done with this one. However, I'm happy to answer any questions you have as, as usual, I have hordes of notes on this sort of things...
Will we get any insight as to why France went into this war? Going against some minor bit on the edge of a nation's sphere of influence is understandable, but going for the Channel Islands is borderline suicide.
In-universe, the explanation is that they thought they could force Britain's hand by occupying the islands. Out-of-universe, it's a bit of a victim of my little France-Argentina swap and, you're right, is pretty suicidal...