Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

The Spanish claimed Territory of Nootka, from 1789 to 1795:
fvwshr71.png

Did the Spanish call it Nootka or was that a name that was assigned to it later on?
They did, they named the island after the native expression "Itchme nutka" (Turn around), albeit the Spanish never employed the K, writing it either "Nutca" or simply "Nuca", with the name of the settlement being officially "Santa Cruz de Nuca" but "Nuca" coloquially.

Crazy Boris

Banned
, they named the island after the native expression "Itchme nutka" (Turn around),
To add to this, the term specifically comes from Nuu-chah-nulth (though that term wasn’t really a thing before 1979, and “Aht” was the endonym prior. Not sure why it changed.) and comes from locals directing James Cook to sail around an island.

Teilung_Deutschlands_1915.jpg

I don't know the context of when and where this was published originally, I only randomly found it while browsing a site dedicated to statistics about the German Empire. It sadly didn't come with any info, not even on questions like why Stuttgart, Württemberg's capital, is now part of Baden; or what the status of Brandenburg is; or why Austria-Hungary just turned into Bohemia.

I also stumbled across this political cartoon on that same page which also looks very... interesting.

Berlin_1915.jpg

Last edited:
some pictures of the self-declared "cossackia" that was part of the captive nations movement

Attachments

• kazakiya.jpg
    kazakiya.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 365
  • Журнал_Казакия.jpg
    Журнал_Казакия.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 387
Not sure exactly how many Cossacks live there.
Well, it's an interesting question... if I'm not mistaken, it's now possible to list "Cossack" as an ethnicity/nationality on the Russian census forms - something that was never done before, as in the Russian Empire, "Cossack" was a social class, not a distinct ethnic group, and in the Soviet Union it was not... always a good thing to acknowlege a Cossack background or ancestry, it could result in a one-way ticket to Kazakhstan or Siberia or worse. Not many people claim to be Cossacks as a nationality, but I've seen articles suggesting that the number of Russians and Ukrainians (particularly Ukrainians) in the Don, Kuban and Terek regions who have some Cossack heritage is quite high...

At any rate, it is where the Kuban Host, Don Host, Terek Host, and Astrakhan Host were located, so it is probably at least where a majority of the people with Cossack ancestry live.

Donations of Alexandria.png

The Donations of Alexandria of 34 BC. This is a rough sketch of mideast around this period and isn't 100% accurate, but is based on the proposal
Explanation: Much of Mark Anthony's reign as the effective ruler of the east was spent fighting Parthia, as it was a huge threat to the Roman East, besting Crassus in 53 BC, occupying the entire levant from 40-38 BC, and subsequently having hegemony over many client-states, Armenia being the most important one. He sent out on a campaign to conquer Parthia in 36 BC, but it was a massive failure because the Parthian cavalry intercepted and destroyed Anthony's baggage train and siege engines, and he ended up retreating through the Armenian mountains in winter, losing 32,000 troops in total. However, Anthony largely blamed the Armenian king Artavasdes II, who had retreated as defeat was imminent when the Parthians attacked. In 34 BC, Anthony successfully invaded Armenia and occupied it, capturing Artavasdes and the royal family, but then lost it again when Parthia reinvaded and installed his now anti-Roman son Artaxias II on the Armenian throne as a Parthian vassal.
While this was going on, Anthony and THE Cleopatra were having an affair that produced 3 children: Alexander Helios, Cleopatra Selene II, and Ptolemy Philadelphus. Cleopatra was very intelligent and had a huge sway over Anthony, given that they appeared to be lovers, used the now master of the Roman East to forward her own agenda (according to Augustan propaganda). Anthony appeared to be becoming more like an Egyptian, celebrating triumphs outside Rome and in Alexandria, dressing as an Egyptian, and worshiping their gods. It didn't help that he was also a god-awful politician. At any rate, the political fallout of the failed Parthian campaign and victorious Armenian campaign needed to be addressed, and so he celebrated a triumph outside Rome and executed the Armenian king. Then, Anthony and Cleopatra started to distribute Roman, Parthian and Egyptian territories to their various children:
- Alexander Helios received Armenia and Parthia (In Peach)
- Cleopatra Selene II received Cyrenaica (Green)
- Ptolemy Philadelphus received Syria and Cilicia (Purple)
- Caesarion (Cleopatra's and Caesar's child) was proclaimed King of Kings and King of Egypt, and would rule with his mother Cleopatra, who became Queen of Kings and Queen of Egypt (she already was Queen of Egypt), he also was confirmed as Caesar's legitimate heir rather than Octavian. (Grayish-blue, or whatever this color is called)

The Donations themselves were a massive failure and a political disaster for the ancient power-couple. The fallout was a breach between Anthony and Rome, and Octavian used it as a major stepping stone to war with Anthony. The main reason it was a failure because:
1. Octavian was already Caesar's legitimate heir, and Caesar didn't even acknowledge Caesarion, Anthony had no legal authority to revoke a will
2. He didn't control Parthia and Armenia was lost to them as well
3. The senate did not approve of Anthony giving away land and allegiances of vassal states that he could not legally give away
4. Octavian waged a massive propaganda campaign against Anthony, who largely was seen as Cleopatra's bootlicker, a situation made even worse by the fact that he didn't include any of his own children in the donations and ended up divorcing Octavia, Octavian's sister.

I don't know the context of when and where this was published originally, I only randomly found it while browsing a site dedicated to statistics about the German Empire. It sadly didn't come with any info, not even on questions like why Stuttgart, Württemberg's capital, is now part of Baden; or what the status of Brandenburg is; or why Austria-Hungary just turned into Bohemia.

I also stumbled across this political cartoon on that same page which also looks very... interesting.

Also peculiar is the date. Both maps say 1915 and both show an independent Poland. I do wonder what Russia's stance about this was.

Also peculiar is the date. Both maps say 1915 and both show an independent Poland. I do wonder what Russia's stance about this was.
Since both seem to be from French sources (and France was quite polonophilic at the time), it might be that the creators of these two maps just hoped that Russia could be placated with gains in Prussia...

Why is it assumed that Poland is independent in both? Rather I assumed that it was a "Kingdom of Poland" in which the Russian Tsar was King.

Well, it's an interesting question... if I'm not mistaken, it's now possible to list "Cossack" as an ethnicity/nationality on the Russian census forms - something that was never done before, as in the Russian Empire, "Cossack" was a social class, not a distinct ethnic group, and in the Soviet Union it was not... always a good thing to acknowlege a Cossack background or ancestry, it could result in a one-way ticket to Kazakhstan or Siberia or worse. Not many people claim to be Cossacks as a nationality, but I've seen articles suggesting that the number of Russians and Ukrainians (particularly Ukrainians) in the Don, Kuban and Terek regions who have some Cossack heritage is quite high...
It's kind of like claiming "Cowboy" is an ethnicity, not gonna lie.

Last edited: