Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reason why not. "Napoleon's France" is a useful shorthand for "France under leadership revitalized and militarily brilliant enough to project power all over Europe", even though such a state is no more likely to be led by Napoleon Bonaparte than Napoleon Gaffori, and probably less likely than by Jacques Boulanger.
Fair point. My question is how Germanized (and what flavor of Christian) Mecklenburg and Saxony are when Lutheran West Slavic Poland annexes them and if ham-fisted Polonization efforts are in the offering.

Hohenzollern Poland - Part 2

Frederick von Hohenzollern marries Jadwiga of Poland, instead of Jogailo/Jagiełło. Poland subsequently becomes dominated by the Hohenzollerns, although they do Polonise themselves.

Hohenzollern Poland
nmQcGUL.png

Poland in 1385
Brandenburg in 1385
Expansion 1385-1699
Royal Prussia (annexed to the Kingdom of Poland)
Ducal Prussia (a direct vassal of the King)

The Margraves of Brandenburg used the Kingdom of Poland to catapult themselves to greatness. Unfortunately, this somewhat backfired when the wars of religion occurred and Poland lost its elector status.

Poland After the Napoleonic Wars
exxnesL.png

"Poland after the Napoleonic Wars"
Poland before the war
Territory won
Territory lost

In the Napoleonic Wars, Poland sided with Napoleon's France in order to exact revenge against the Habsburgs, who were settled in the Tripartite Crown of Austria-Bohemia-Hungary. The Habsburg Empire had previously thwarted Poland's attempt to keep the title of Brandenburg alive to keep its elector status within the HRE and also to keep the prestige of the Margraviate of Brandenburg's title. Unfortunately, Poland and her new Church of Poland lost the Wars of Religion within the HRE and thus the Margraviate of Brandenburg was dissolved and became crown lands of the Kingdom of Poland.

The revenge came eventually, when Napoleon's France, Hohenzollern Poland, and Russia all colluded to demolish Habsburg supremacy over Europe. Since the end of the Wars of Religion, the Habsburgs had become hereditary emperors of the HRE. Unlike before, the HRE stretched from Holstein in the north to Rome in the south. Even the Papal States were at the whim of the Habsburgs. In crushing the HRE and dissolving it, Poland managed to gain Mecklenburg, parts of Hungary (modern Nitra) around its Spisz enclaves, and all of the Kingdom of Saxony.

However, not even a decade later, a coalition of Britain, Russia, and the Habsburgs managed to deal a significant blow to the Alliance. While most of the ire was aimed at Napoleon and his attempt to create a Europe-wide empire, Poland lost all of Red Ruthenia (around Lwów/Lvov) and also Chelm, Poland was also forced to cut its ties with Lithuania, which subsequently became a Russian vassal. A few western holdings were also lost, though in fairness they were not directly connected to Poland so it was a fair loss. Britain used the opportunity to make the Dutch neutral, Hanover independent, and also to create the North German Confederation - a pseudo-successor to the HRE - consisting of Hanover, Thuringia, and a few other minor German states. Eventually those states would form the basis of what is now Germany.

Many scholars debate how beneficial the Napoleonic Wars were to Poland, as it cost the nation much of the cream of its youth, but most agree it solidified Poland as a "Western" nation. Annexing more German land, and losing more Ukrainian ("Slavic") lands, put more pressure on society to solidify along German lines. Closer proximity to Lübeck/Lybæk allowed for more of a trading class to emerge. Poland began to fall more under the sway of the Junkers/Junkrzy as opposed to the Szlachta of old. The new influence allowed the country to become more stabilized and fall in line with the pattern of other European monarchies.
Proximity to Lubeck? Blasphemy. What will they say when their children ask them "Why didn't you invest in eastern Poland?"

Would Napoleon really even be able to take charge in a world with a pod some 700 years before him?
It helps for me to make a distinction between two kinds of alternate history: divergent alternate history where history diverges and never returns, and parallel alternate history where historical figures and patterns emerge.

They're both awesome, but for completely different reasons.

1641160069215.png

Map of a Very different Reformation.
Map Date is 1545 AD, with a Point of Divergence in the 1440's

(if someone could rate me on the plausibility of this map I'd very much appreciate it)

View attachment 707641

Map of a Very different Reformation.
Map Date is 1545 AD, with a Point of Divergence in the 1440's

(if someone could rate me on the plausibility of this map I'd very much appreciate it)

I'm no expert by any means but I think having a religious divide as sharp as the one between Catholic and Orthodox in an era before the Peace of Westphalia isn't very likely.

Lmao before seeing this I thought that the uncolored parts of the map were totally depopulated, or "here be unaugmented lame-o apes"

Transhumanist Pakistan sounds like a fun time. Crazed alim trying to convince the population at large that the augmented people have become angels by the intervention of Allah through human science (which, like all activity, is His domain) and that despite this, "humans" remain at the centerpiece of the salvation narrative and the newly minted angels have definitely accepted that they must bow down to Adam's descendants (which in turn is just lip service that keeps them from being declared "devils" for their probably quite monstrous and incomprehensible deeds).
Anarcho-primitivists would actually be pretty cool and it'd fit the idea, with posthumans having no need for the deserts and jungles. I really like your description. That's pretty much how I imagined the Eurasian countries too, as an autocratic, very religious form of transhumanism

What are the religious views of the Forgerians, Lassenites, Freudians, and Neophytes in comparison to Catholicism or OTL Protestant movements?
Forgerianism is an evolution of the Waldensian movement, which was ideologically close to calvinism otl.

Neophytes are close to otl Lutherans, but believe in the metaphorical rather than literal transubstantiation of wine and bread into the blood and body of christ.

Freudians are anababtists without the pacifism and a bit more of an organized and centralized structure.

Lassenites are basically Scandinavian Anglicans

The Bloody Decade (1840-1850)

The bloody decade was a period in history marked by multiple protracted conflicts and territorial disputes between the European Powers.
the 1840's would also see the steady waning of the French Hegemony established by Napoleon I, and the collapse and partition of the Austrian monarchy following the Hungarian Revolution.

nvm 1840.png

Europe in 1840

nvm 1848.png

Europe in 1850

List of Major Conflicts during the Bloody Decade:
  • War of the Saxon Succession
  • Austrian Civil War (Various)
  • Austro-Hungarian Trade War
  • Great Greek Uprising
  • Gibraltar Crisis
  • 2nd Finnish War
  • British-Danish Cod War
  • Franco-Prussian War
  • Galicia Crisis

Attachments

• nvm 1840.png
    nvm 1840.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 399

The bloody decade was a period in history marked by multiple protracted conflicts and territorial disputes between the European Powers.
the 1840's would also see the steady waning of the French Hegemony established by Napoleon I, and the collapse and partition of the Austrian monarchy following the Hungarian Revolution.

View attachment 707750
Europe in 1840

View attachment 707751
Europe in 1850

• Great Greek Uprising
  • Gibraltar Crisis
  • 2nd Finnish War
  • British-Danish Cod War
  • Franco-Prussian War
  • Galicia Crisis
Polan died :(

View attachment 707750
Europe in 1840

View attachment 707751
Europe in 1850

• Great Greek Uprising
  • Gibraltar Crisis
  • 2nd Finnish War
  • British-Danish Cod War
  • Franco-Prussian War
  • Galicia Crisis
I don't want to feel like I'm repeating myself, but can people please fix the UK subdivision boundaries on the Qbams. :confounded:

Hohenzollern Poland - Part 2

Frederick von Hohenzollern marries Jadwiga of Poland, instead of Jogailo/Jagiełło. Poland subsequently becomes dominated by the Hohenzollerns, although they do Polonise themselves.

Hohenzollern Poland
nmQcGUL.png

Poland in 1385
Brandenburg in 1385
Expansion 1385-1699
Royal Prussia (annexed to the Kingdom of Poland)
Ducal Prussia (a direct vassal of the King)

The Margraves of Brandenburg used the Kingdom of Poland to catapult themselves to greatness. Unfortunately, this somewhat backfired when the wars of religion occurred and Poland lost its elector status.

Poland After the Napoleonic Wars
exxnesL.png

"Poland after the Napoleonic Wars"
Poland before the war
Territory won
Territory lost

In the Napoleonic Wars, Poland sided with Napoleon's France in order to exact revenge against the Habsburgs, who were settled in the Tripartite Crown of Austria-Bohemia-Hungary. The Habsburg Empire had previously thwarted Poland's attempt to keep the title of Brandenburg alive to keep its elector status within the HRE and also to keep the prestige of the Margraviate of Brandenburg's title. Unfortunately, Poland and her new Church of Poland lost the Wars of Religion within the HRE and thus the Margraviate of Brandenburg was dissolved and became crown lands of the Kingdom of Poland.

The revenge came eventually, when Napoleon's France, Hohenzollern Poland, and Russia all colluded to demolish Habsburg supremacy over Europe. Since the end of the Wars of Religion, the Habsburgs had become hereditary emperors of the HRE. Unlike before, the HRE stretched from Holstein in the north to Rome in the south. Even the Papal States were at the whim of the Habsburgs. In crushing the HRE and dissolving it, Poland managed to gain Mecklenburg, parts of Hungary (modern Nitra) around its Spisz enclaves, and all of the Kingdom of Saxony.

However, not even a decade later, a coalition of Britain, Russia, and the Habsburgs managed to deal a significant blow to the Alliance. While most of the ire was aimed at Napoleon and his attempt to create a Europe-wide empire, Poland lost all of Red Ruthenia (around Lwów/Lvov) and also Chelm, Poland was also forced to cut its ties with Lithuania, which subsequently became a Russian vassal. A few western holdings were also lost, though in fairness they were not directly connected to Poland so it was a fair loss. Britain used the opportunity to make the Dutch neutral, Hanover independent, and also to create the North German Confederation - a pseudo-successor to the HRE - consisting of Hanover, Thuringia, and a few other minor German states. Eventually those states would form the basis of what is now Germany.

Many scholars debate how beneficial the Napoleonic Wars were to Poland, as it cost the nation much of the cream of its youth, but most agree it solidified Poland as a "Western" nation. Annexing more German land, and losing more Ukrainian ("Slavic") lands, put more pressure on society to solidify along German lines. Closer proximity to Lübeck/Lybæk allowed for more of a trading class to emerge. Poland began to fall more under the sway of the Junkers/Junkrzy as opposed to the Szlachta of old. The new influence allowed the country to become more stabilized and fall in line with the pattern of other European monarchies.
Hohenzollern Poland >>> Polska Hohenzollernów
Bamborska (not a word I would have used, but who knows how Polish language evolved ITTL)
Expansion year-year >>> Ekspansja w latach xxxx-yyyy
Poland After Napoleonic Wars >>> Polska po wojnach napoleońskich
Poland before the war >>> Polska przed wojną
Territory lost >>> Terytorium utracone

Status
Not open for further replies.