What type of government would Russia most likely get if Kolchak's White Army won the Russian Civil War?

What type of government would Russia most likely get if Kolchak's White Army won?

• Russia would return to a Democratic-Republican government

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Absolute Monarchy would be restored

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Russia would become a Constitutional Monarchy with atleast some degree of Democracy

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • An unideological military junta would be established

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • An alternate Fascism would be created in Russia

Votes: 10 13.3%

• Total voters

OstundWest

Banned
As I understand it was the anti-Bolshevik resistance during the Russian Civil War ideologically very diverse. There was Democratic Republicans of the Kerensky type, Absolute Monarchists (most common among the generals) and Constitutional Monarchists. So if the White Movement that Alexander Kolchak lead defeated Lenin's Bolsheviks, which of these kinds of state would the anti-Communist Russia be? Or would just a unideological military junta be established or could even Russia become some kind of alternate Fascist state like in Kaiserreich?

I could see some form of monarchy being restored to keep continuity with the empire. Say Russia becomes a constitutionally limited monarchy with broad powers devolved to the elected head of state, which may itself become little more than a dictatorship along the lines of the Soviet Premiership. Basically the monarchy is restored alongside a constitution but this is little more than window dressing for a dictatorship.

In the immediate aftermath of the war, it would remain de-facto under a White military junta. Over the longer term though (the next 5-15 years) I think all options listed in the poll are likely.

Edit: to elaborate a bit, I think a post-civil war Russia in that scenario would be very unstable and the junta would have little source of legitimacy. Therefore I can see it swept aside - either voluntarily or not - by a republican-democrat, or a monarchist, or a fascist or quasi-fascist, or even a resurgent communist regime, all depending on political developments in interwar years.

Last edited:

Capbeetle61

Banned
Surely any kind of Russian dictatorship wants at least Poland, Baltics and Finland back to their influence if not outright annex them.
They would probably have been invaded and quickly conquered back months after Kolchak consolidated his White dictatorship in Russia.

Military junta yes, but banana republic? It would have had to be totally controlled by foreign powers to be so, which virtually nobody in Kolchak's White Army would have tolerated.
Banana republic doesn't have a hard definition, but nominally democratic while really being authoritarian is a major component. So is being corrupt. No matter the outcome of the Russian Civil War, both of those are likely.

Estonia probably re conquered by Kolchak, Latvia likely, Poland NEVER, Finland not, Lithuania likely to be partitioned between White Russia and Poland. And this is not a banana republic if there is a clear Kolchak lead White victory. I see him as Horthy, officially monarchist but eternally vacant throne.

They would probably have been invaded and quickly conquered back months after Kolchak consolidated his White dictatorship in Russia.

Yeah press x to doubt. Kolchaks ramshackle government even meaningfully consolidationg russia itself is a major ask, but being more militarily successful then the Bolsheviks( which bested him in OTL) is a pipe dream.

Capbeetle61

Banned
Yeah press x to doubt. Kolchaks ramshackle government even meaningfully consolidationg russia itself is a major ask, but being more militarily successful then the Bolsheviks( which bested him in OTL) is a pipe dream.
Definitely more plausible in the 1920s and the 1930s, once Kolchak's government has gotten its act together back in Russia.

Last edited:

OstundWest

Banned
Surely any kind of Russian dictatorship wants at least Poland, Baltics and Finland back to their influence if not outright annex them.
In Poland's case I'm almost certain that France and the UK would definitively not allow a Russian annexation. After all it was these two powers who ensured Polish independence even before Pilsudski came to power, so unless Kolchak had an impossibly excellent plan about how to rebuild the country after the Civil War without any help from the Entente it would be the dumbest thing one could do to try to take back Poland. The help Kolchak's Russia could get from France and Britain would in my mind make it possible to industrialize the land way faster then any Soviet government could ever dream of, so Kolchak would have to be extremely stupid to not value this.