28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

MaxGerke01

Banned
I find it somewhat ironic that in the midst of the covid19 pandemic where the virus has recently mutated -again-and circled the globe-again- that somehow some way the Rage Virus would or even could be contained to just the UK. Even assuming it doesnt mutate it could likely somehow reach the mainland of Europe-if not in the way depicted in 28 Weeks Later then though some other human or animal contact.There is just too much infected blood and tissue lying around unburied or unburned in the UK to totally eliminate the possibility. Even if the world catches a break for 6 months why should we think that would last forever ?

Last edited:

El_Fodedor

Banned
I find it somewhat ironic that in the midst of the covid19 pandemic where the virus has recently mutated -again-and circled the globe-again- that somehow some way the Rage Virus would or even could be contained to just the UK. Even assuming it doesnt mutate it could likely somehow reach the mainland of Europe-if not in the way depicted in 28 Weeks Later then though some other human or animal contact.There is just too much infected blood and tissue lying around unburied or unburned in the UK to totally eliminate the possibility. Even if world catches a break for 6 months why should we think that would last forever ?
I guarantee the budget for vaccine development is going to dwarf the one during the Covid pandemic. Also, countries would mobilize the army and police to guarantee that everyone is vaccinated, by force of arms if need be.

We will not be talking about mere restrictions for the unvaccinated, but about the military and police dragging people from their homes and vaccinating at gunpoint.

While there is an Timeline by @kspence92 in this thread we have discussed all sorts of possibilities regarding the 28 Days... universe including the likeliness of 28 Weeks Later happening at all, which I just find implausible as presented.

A UK only scenario will see the world economy still go into depression, but it will not be a freefall. China, America, Japan etc will lock down the stock market, and other economic matters. The world markets will adjust after a few years esp as Pharma research will suddenly become HUGE. Not just a cure for Rage, but preventions for other biggies.

As for Britain, it will be a long clean up. First thing will be contact with survivor communities and supplying them. Second would be security of national security assets like nukes, chemical weapon plants, arms depots, sub bases etc. PM Brown is only sending people back to the mainland in HazMat suit for security and clean-up. No resettlement for possibly years, unless survivor communities can be expanded.

Small places on the coast might be first to be resettled - places where it would be easy to check every house, cellar, attic, car, bus, postbox for any Ragers, or Human remains. All of this needs to be checked and cleared before anyone arrives. Why the coast? Fast evac if something happens.

It will be a good decade for Britain to be checked and cleared even with full international help.

MaxGerke01

Banned
While there is an Timeline by @kspence92 in this thread we have discussed all sorts of possibilities regarding the 28 Days... universe including the likeliness of 28 Weeks Later happening at all, which I just find implausible as presented.
The part about it going over the Channel on a helicopter after the outbreak was implausible BUT it being spread by an asymptomatic carrier isnt.There is no way there would just be one such person and if there was someone immune who was bitten or scratched and was evacuated and somehow escaped detection though a blood test there could be an outbreak the first time someone came into contact with their blood or saliva.And that could be anywhere in the world really including the US.

I've always thought the virus would have been contained by the British authorities if it had really happened. Obviously Cambridge wouldn't stand a chance and I imagine London would be hit quickly by infected moving down the M11, but once it reached more rural areas like the Lake District and North Wales I could see it burning itself out. It's quite possible that the north of England and the whole of Scotland would have pulled through entirely unscathed assuming the security services and government reacted quickly enough.

As for the plot of 28 Weeks Later, there's no way NATO would have repatriated refugees so soon afterwards. The plot was a bit daft for me. I wish the filmmakers had gone with their original plan to make a 29 Days Later which was apparently about a squad of Royal Marines being sent to rescue the Prime Minister and the Queen.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
I've always thought the virus would have been contained by the British authorities if it had really happened. Obviously Cambridge wouldn't stand a chance and I imagine London would be hit quickly by infected moving down the M11, but once it reached more rural areas like the Lake District and North Wales I could see it burning itself out. It's quite possible that the north of England and the whole of Scotland would have pulled through entirely unscathed assuming the security services and government reacted quickly enough.

As for the plot of 28 Weeks Later, there's no way NATO would have repatriated refugees so soon afterwards. The plot was a bit daft for me. I wish the filmmakers had gone with their original plan to make a 29 Days Later which was apparently about a squad of Royal Marines being sent to rescue the Prime Minister and the Queen.
Right but if it isnt contained there and destroys mainland Britain that massively increases the chances its moves to mainland Europe.Also it increases the chance that asymptomatic carriers like Alice and Andy Harris get out of Britain and end up causing outbreaks elsewhere in the world....

To me it makes sense that they try and repopulate so quickly simply because that dont want to take any chance that the UK is somehow no longer the UK.That coupled with a stink being kicked up by Britons and their host countries over the refuge camps makes that situation untenable.I think of course it probably should have taken more than 6 months assuming there were no outbreaks elsewhere or any sign it had mutated.Also it should have been just about anywhere else than the middle of London.

I find it somewhat ironic that in the midst of the covid19 pandemic where the virus has recently mutated -again-and circled the globe-again- that somehow some way the Rage Virus would or even could be contained to just the UK. Even assuming it doesnt mutate it could likely somehow reach the mainland of Europe-if not in the way depicted in 28 Weeks Later then though some other human or animal contact.There is just too much infected blood and tissue lying around unburied or unburned in the UK to totally eliminate the possibility. Even if the world catches a break for 6 months why should we think that would last forever ?
The problem with rage virus, is that it has virtually no a-symptomatic carriers. You never have to worry if someone is infected, because they will very quickly inform you if that is the case.
Covid screwed us over in large part because you could infect people without knowing. If you developed symptoms within seconds of infection it would've never made it out of Wuhan.
Plus they aren't really zombies or anything like that. They don't actively hunt for humans. As long as they don't notice you, you are basically fine. A lockdown would've worked wonders.

Well that we know of right.But its hard to believe that in a population of 60 million there were only 2-not that it would take more than 2 to spread it somewhere..
Maybe it's the fact that if you get close enough to a rage-zombie to become infected, chances are you're going to end up being beaten to death. Hard to be an a-symptomatic carrier under those conditions.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Maybe it's the fact that if you get close enough to a rage-zombie to become infected, chances are you're going to end up being beaten to death. Hard to be an a-symptomatic carrier under those conditions.
Thats true.Im not saying that Britain would be awash with them but if there are only 100 thats more than enough for it to flare up again in the UK if was contained or spread outside of the country

This is not what 28 Weeks Later shows.

He is asymptomatic infected like his mother was and when the helicopter gets to France-although its not shown exactly how-somebody came into contact with his blood or saliva and thus the French outbreak...
More reasons to ignore 28 Weeks Later and the comics.

Rage does not do asymptomatic - it turns you into a nutter who likes violence and spreading the infection.

No way Rage gets outside Britain - any cases like the Channel Tunnel train, or a plane carrying any possible infected are shot out of the sky/sunk. Remember the posted Timeline had NATO countries sinking refugee boats without even checking? That's how Rage does not get outside Britain.

MaxGerke01

Banned
More reasons to ignore 28 Weeks Later and the comics.

Rage does not do asymptomatic - it turns you into a nutter who likes violence and spreading the infection.

No way Rage gets outside Britain - any cases like the Channel Tunnel train, or a plane carrying any possible infected are shot out of the sky/sunk. Remember the posted Timeline had NATO countries sinking refugee boats without even checking? That's how Rage does not get outside Britain.
Well I have to admit Im not a infectious disease expert but why couldnt there be asymptomatic Ragers-because it was an human made virus ? Does this mean it would not mutate as the behavior of Don Harris indicates it did ? Diseases have asymptomatic carriers and mutations so why would Rage Virus be different ?
I agree its much less likely that Rage could leave Britain through human conveyance unless it was contained and then spread by asymptomatic carriers .Its possible it happens someway via an animal /human vector or infected bodies somehow drifting to land.Also the universe isnt fair so even if every boat or aircraft was sunk all it could take is 1.We can say its unlikely but not impossible if mechanical and or human error was involved.
Also what if Rage originated on Japan ,New Zealand ,Sri Lanka or Taiwan-would it still not have any chance to spread ?

Last edited:
The announcement for Beijing was made in 2001 so that's still going to happen, but then the Chinese government might have its hands full with the Second Great Depression to make a full spectacle out of it.

The 2004 Games will likely be cancelled out of fear of infection as well as no one else would be able to pick up the slack in time.

Marc A
2004 games are already cancelled because Athens was abandoned by the Greek government.

Now the butterflies make me wonder who gets the bid to host 2012, 2016, 2020, and 2024. Perhaps a city of OTL who didn't get the bid can host the next games for TTL.
Well, with the fall of Great Britain, said useless rocks will suddenly become a lot more symbolically important, in that they will serve as showing the world that the United Kingdom is still around as a polity. And the US might want to make it a point to show the world that it is NOT okay to pounce on one of their allies while they are facing serious domestic issues.
If it were useless rocks, Thatcher would not have sent the Royal Navy, Marines, SAS, SBS, and 2 PARAs to reclaim it from the Argentines in 1982.

Yes it is far, but you are correct that it along with the rest of the overseas territories, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands represent that the UK isn't dissolved.
American power will be severely reduced considering most of their allies were wiped out. This will accelerate absurdly the fall of the West.

On the other hand, with Putin having an almost carte blanche in Europe, the contradictions between China and Russia will surely emerge. In a world where the US doesn't have to compromise the security of their Eastern Europeans partners to appease Russia, considering said partners don't exist anymore, this whole talk about a Russo-American alliance becomes much more feasible and probably even likely.
American power is down but not out. In 2002, the U.S. is still enjoying almost a decade as the sole superpower. Russia and China in 2002 weren't aggressive yet.

Putin is more concerned of securing borders but yes, he has Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia in his grasp since these areas were depopulated by the Rage Virus. One positive thing here is that NATO would not expand further eastward, thus sparing us of the New Cold War of the 2010s.

While not mentioned, it is implied the U.S. and NATO did share information to their Russian counterparts how to deal with the Ragers.
Well kspence92 Time Line had most of Europe being overrun by the Rage Virus, so obviously that's the correct scenario and canonically in the universe of the 28 Days Later France was destined to fall to the Rage Virus.

But this thread has unofficially become the main topic thread for anything related to the 28 Days Later topic, so that is where most the confusion stems from since the events of the Virus breaking out again in London and catching a helicopter ride to France without somehow being blown out of the sky was "kind-of" far-fetched and the unlikely events of it successfully defeating the French Army, who unlike the British had 6 and half Months of wargaming, mobilizations, preparations and fortifications set up were annoying to say the least.

But of course in usual fashion the French defeated themselves first before the Rage Virus had time to even overrun the nation in kspence92 TL.

Talking about the Rage Virus if it had not spread out into Europe seems popular for pop culture reasons I guess, either that or Europe is forgotten altogether.
Most people online consider @kspence92's timeline as the Spiritual Predecessor and Spiritual Successor, since we have yet to see 28 Months Later, if ever. For me, this TL is a canon to say at least.
Also what if Rage originated on Japan ,New Zealand ,Sri Lanka or Taiwan-would it still not have any chance to spread ?
Let's see now:

Japan - Would be screwed. Especially if the outbreak begins in Tokyo and the Bay Area. World's most populated city. Sure the JSDF is a strong military, but like their British counterparts, would not be prepared to deal with a severity of an outbreak. Even with 50,000 U.S. troops, it would not enough. Japan has a high population density rate and the geography has not much natural barriers. The Kanto plain would be a hotzone. Best option for the Japanese government, the Diet, and the Emperor is to head to Hokkaido in which the cold may affect the ragers (they are still human after all) or the Ryukyus. We also know the Tokyo Prefecture has some islands located deep in the Pacific, which has settlements such as Ogasawara. Saw a video it takes 24 hours to travel from Tokyo to Ogasawara via ferry so it would definitely survive.

New Zealand - there was a timeline of it back then in the day here:

Sri Lanka - Probably would be wiped out since it is a small island with a military equipped for its own internal security. India would definitely intervene here for the fear of it reaching the subcontinent, which we all know WOULD BE A VERY BAD idea. Sri Lanka may be bombed and salted to the earth by the Indian Air Force. Just praying it would not be a nuclear option.

Taiwan - There's a slight risk of the infection heading to the Ryukyus, mainland China, and the Philippines if not contained quickly. However, Beijing would be all to pleased to hear about this. If Deng was willing to nuke Hong Kong just to let Britain return it China, the Chinese President in this TL would be happy to use nuclear weapons to clear the infected in Taiwan. It would then present the opportunity for China to clean up Taiwan under the guise "of protecting and providing aid to the Taiwanese people" but everyone around the world already knows its a win for Beijing to get the renegrade province to heel. The world won't do anything about it either way but accept the status quo.

I guarantee the budget for vaccine development is going to dwarf the one during the Covid pandemic. Also, countries would mobilize the army and police to guarantee that everyone is vaccinated, by force of arms if need be.

We will not be talking about mere restrictions for the unvaccinated, but about the military and police dragging people from their homes and vaccinating at gunpoint.
Anti-vaxxers wouldn't be a thing, or at least they wouldn't be platformed on the news ITTL. I've said before that the 2000s are going to have a siege mentality. It's going to include an obsession with public health, along with the renewed craze for bunkers and guns.