Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Greater South Dakota has been proposed
Tried to plug it into the "Redraw The States" map, including the Greater Idaho proposal from a few months back
1640544302553.png

1640549029174.png

1640549045303.png

1640549076134.png

*Glass shattering noise*
Some proposed divisions for the Post-War World: we have FDR's plan to break Germany up, the Basque Plan to divide Iberia and a proposal to split Japan into American, Soviet, British and Chinese occupation zones.

I thought Oregon came from a native (Ojibwe?) word "Waurecan," which meant "Great River." It was originally tied to the Ohio, and then was tied by French trappers to the mythical "River of the West," a series of rivers lakes and portages that would lead from the Northwest Territories to the Pacific.
The Ojibwe were nowhere near that far west

The Ojibwe were nowhere near that far west
I think you misunderstood my use of Northwest Territories. The name wasn't originally tied to the Pacific Northwest, it was tied to the Great Lakes. It's earliest appearance seems was referring to a river in the Northwest Territories, or the Old Northwest of course before it was called that), which trapper tales claimed lead all the way to the West Coast.

I think you misunderstood my use of Northwest Territories. The name wasn't originally tied to the Pacific Northwest, it was tied to the Great Lakes. It's earliest appearance seems was referring to a river in the Northwest Territories, or the Old Northwest of course before it was called that), which trapper tales claimed lead all the way to the West Coast.
Nope, earliest appearance is the Spanish Oréjon, in 1598, in a book bout Spanish Californias and Spanish claims north of it. Oréjon comes from an unknown Native name for the Columbia river. Most theories on what that word was and in which language it existed are at best severely lacking any proof.

View attachment 706099
View attachment 706100
View attachment 706101
*Glass shattering noise*
Some proposed divisions for the Post-War World: we have FDR's plan to break Germany up, the Basque Plan to divide Iberia and a proposal to split Japan into American, Soviet, British and Chinese occupation zones.
the japan map always made me wonder, was there ever a source given? ive always been interested in it yet i have a hard time finding anything concrete outside of maps saying it was a plan

It does my heart good to see him continuing his work. As a former native of a place with a Sea World, it also does my heart good seeing Shamu once again. Also fun that the Bonin Islands aren’t claimed by Japan. Makes sense as they never really claimed them until after the zopening of Japan andwhen they went to the American settlement there and said it was Japanese. Also seems Bonin comes from the word for uninhabited. Who knew? Makes more sense than it being a land of Lilliputian foliage, I suppose.

Last edited:
Why DID Gaddafi propose that? At least it went along linguistic lines...
His son Hannibal Gaddafi and daughter-in-law were arrested for allegedly beating their servants at a hotel, detained for two days and then released. He took it quite personally and this lead to a two-year-long diplomatic crisis between Switzerland and Libya, with Swiss assets in the country being shut down, flights canceled, billions of dollars withdrawn, two businessmen being arrested and held hostage, and Gaddafi himself being quite adamant that Switzerland was a land of infidels that needed to be destroyed.

Oh, and this proposal? It was made at the 35th G8 Summit. Publicly.

Basically, it was one huge tyrannical temper tantrum.