Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone (NeinCubed, not me) actually did it. They made the Republic of Yeezy.

4ofsu6kx9o781.png
Solving the Israel-Palestine conflict by just annexing them is a solution I can't believe nobody thought of.

It was only then when a Japanese pilot, blinded by his duty to the Emperor and the Country, attacked an American vessel, bringing the weight of a continent upon Japan.
But what would have happened if this pilot was stopped?

What's happening with Iran?

Mele Kalikimaka!

Thanks to the Montreal Protocol not coming into being ITTL, the ozone layer has depleted significantly, leading to widespread environmental destruction around the globe, leading to political strife and a widespread evacuation of Hawaii (among other tropical areas) in the mid 2010s.

Yet, tours of the grandeur and tropical paradise of Oahu are still available October-April, with proper vetting and clearance by the United States government. Enjoy the (dwindling) wonders of the Aloha State!

Previous Posts:
CNN.com Mainpage - September 1, 2021
New York Times front page, September 10, 2021
The Sentinel article, December 18, 2021
man, these are all great. real soylent green/the sheep look up type vibes

But what would have happened if this pilot was stopped?

What's happening with Iran?
Maybe the British would have signed a truce with the Japanese as well, but I don't think they would do. I guess the Allies would have eventually recovered key colonies, and Japan's access to oil and other primary resources would be more limited as time passed, not to mention the fact that they would still fight a bloody war in China. Both sides are pretty battered, so without the US in the fight I am not going to risk trying to predict who would win such a match.

Iran is as of now occupied by the Brits, Soviets and Germans, the Shah is theoretically working with the British, but both Soviets and Germans are building their own separate entities in their shares of the country. No side risks pulling off fearing other party would take over.

With the UV radiation, are there backup plans involving evacuating Earth itself for a LEO space wheel or a Moon/Mars base?
Most governments are too busy for massive ventures in space, although China is gearing up to land someone on the Moon and private billionaires and companies have made some public statements about creating a Moon/Mars base.

Thanks to the Montreal Protocol not coming into being ITTL, the ozone layer has depleted significantly, leading to widespread environmental destruction around the globe, leading to political strife and a widespread evacuation of Hawaii (among other tropical areas) in the mid 2010s.

Given that the ozone holes were expanding outward from the Poles, wouldn't it be arctic and sub-arctic areas that need evacuation, not the tropics? (The problem with a lack of ozone is carcinogenic radiation, not heat.)

Given that the ozone holes were expanding outward from the Poles, wouldn't it be arctic and sub-arctic areas that need evacuation, not the tropics? (The problem with a lack of ozone is carcinogenic radiation, not heat.)
1640575691953.gif

According to NASA’s Earth Observatory, the tropical areas of the world would still see the most UV radiation.

MarsA basemap, by Tyche and Skozik
First post in a while, but I figured with a new thread I'd go ahead and post what I'm most proud of from 2021.

I've always found all the existing MarsA's to be rather lackluster, so with the help of the illustrious @skozik I've made my own idiosyncratic MarsA.
Canid World EqualE WorldA.png

In Equal Area projection, and with my own particular sea level that I like (2450 meters below Datum). Those white spots on the tallest peaks are not actually ice caps, but areas where the atmosphere, if thick as Earth's at sea level, would be too thin to be livable.

Feel free to use! just credit, myself and @skozik please

View attachment 706179
According to NASA’s Earth Observatory, the tropical areas of the world would still see the most UV radiation.

Interesting! I hadn't heard of the model predicting a rapid collapse of the ozone layer above the tropics. Yeah, if the ozone has collapsed everywhere the Equatorial region would get more UV for the same reason it does right now - more sunlight.

Do you have a link to where you got that image? I found https://www.earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/WorldWithoutOzone/page1.php , but it doesn't seem to include those UV maps.

First post in a while, but I figured with a new thread I'd go ahead and post what I'm most proud of from 2021.

I've always found all the existing MarsA's to be rather lackluster, so with the help of the illustrious @skozik I've made my own idiosyncratic MarsA.
View attachment 706187
In Equal Area projection, and with my own particular sea level that I like (2450 meters below Datum). Those white spots on the tallest peaks are not actually ice caps, but areas where the atmosphere, if thick as Earth's at sea level, would be too thin to be livable.

What a beautiful map!

Interesting! I hadn't heard of the model predicting a rapid collapse of the ozone layer above the tropics. Yeah, if the ozone has collapsed everywhere the Equatorial region would get more UV for the same reason it does right now - more sunlight.

Do you have a link to where you got that image? I found https://www.earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/WorldWithoutOzone/page1.php , but it doesn't seem to include those UV maps.

Actually, checking again, the image isn't from NASA, but a study posted in a photochemical science journal. Sadly, it's £42 to access the rest of the study.

View attachment 706187

Man, the whole Marinaris/Xanthe/Margaritifer network is just asking to be the cradle of civilization, especially since the large watershed and lack of tides might make a surprising amount of it quite fresh.

I must protest ...
30% French words, indeed ...

Its only 29%.
Anyway, How is Franglais going for you?

The Queen is of German stock but then again, the English are Anglo-Saxon so it's just a booster jab.

Have a good Christmas my friend.
Ahahaha He is good, but strongly fought ;)
I see your point
Have a good christmas ;)

View attachment 706187

Super cool! I think that's almost exactly the sea level I used for mine. This will be very useful for my planning, thanks for your work on it!

[50+ Likes] Fantasy world map series, by What am I doing
This is the series of political, religious and other world maps for a fantasy image choice game (which can be seen here) I've made some time ago. There was a post about the previous version of the map in 2017 (I think), and I've updated how things are meant to be since then.

Map 1 - political overlaid.jpg

Map 2 - political.png
Map 3 - religious.png
Map 4 - from space.jpg

Map 5 - with shields.jpg

The panel with the descriptions of each country is too big to post, so I've uploaded it here:

And here is the globe gif of the world:

This is the series of political, religious and other world maps for a fantasy image choice game (which can be seen here) I've made some time ago. There was a post about the previous version of the map in 2017 (I think), and I've updated how things are meant to be since then.

View attachment 706245
View attachment 706243View attachment 706244View attachment 706246
View attachment 706250

The panel with the descriptions of each country is too big to post, so I've uploaded it here:

And here is the globe gif of the world:
Damn, this is some good stuff! We definitely don't see enough of this kind of alternate worldbuilding on the map thread anymore, which is kinda sad.

How'd you make the globe gif?

Status
Not open for further replies.