28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Manchester is also an example of slow recovery would be; even if the Ragers die out within 28 weeks, then it is going to take ages for a proper clear up. Even starting from military bases every cellar, cupboard, attic, sewer, car, truck, shop, floor of a skyscraper needs to be checked for surviving Ragers, or disease carrying survivors. It would never be quick, never be clean, and never be nice. Ten years might even be too short a timescale.
It would depend on how infectious the bodies would be after death, I think. That would be a lot easier to clean up than living beings. I'd imagine it would also be far, far easier in smaller towns than London - but I can see British pride demanding London be reclaimed first.

Also, I always had trouble with them dying of hunger - they would have died of thirst long before that. Still a great film, though.

Manchester is also an example of slow recovery would be; even if the Ragers die out within 28 weeks, then it is going to take ages for a proper clear up. Even starting from military bases every cellar, cupboard, attic, sewer, car, truck, shop, floor of a skyscraper needs to be checked for surviving Ragers, or disease carrying survivors. It would never be quick, never be clean, and never be nice. Ten years might even be too short a timescale.
It would be an absolute shitshow, even if the military was smarter than in 28 Weeks Later and avoided a second outbreak. Resettling the U.K. would take years. A whole generation of Brits would grow up outside of Britain.

It would depend on how infectious the bodies would be after death, I think. That would be a lot easier to clean up than living beings. I'd imagine it would also be far, far easier in smaller towns than London - but I can see British pride demanding London be reclaimed first.

Also, I always had trouble with them dying of hunger - they would have died of thirst long before that. Still a great film, though.

After the first outbreak died off I cannot see PM Brown and the King going straight for a reclamation of London. Sure its the capital but securing military bases, nuclear plants, airports and other strategic targets would be first. A symbolic team might be sent to Parliament to hoist the flag (of required) but there are saner targets to start with. Supplying the isolated survivor communities would be a major thing.

Since it was unknown if the infection was done I cannot see any civilian being let back in as I have explained before up thread. 28 Weeks Later does not happen. By 28 weeks in it is possible the Cambridge lab has been identified and special forces sent into recover what notes they can find, and from there the EU, US and most other places would want to make a anti-viral cure.

Biggest problem might be virus mutations as it passed from chimp to Human.

After the first outbreak died off I cannot see PM Brown and the King going straight for a reclamation of London. Sure its the capital but securing military bases, nuclear plants, airports and other strategic targets would be first. A symbolic team might be sent to Parliament to hoist the flag (of required) but there are saner targets to start with. Supplying the isolated survivor communities would be a major thing.
I should have been clearer in that after those issues are sorted, there would be some kind of symbolic effort in London.

28 Weeks Later does not happen.
Nor does a European outbreak. I'd imagine the Chunnel was bombed and airspace was restricted over the Channel once it was clear how bad this thing was.

chankljp

Donor
Since this thread have sort of became a 'hub' for 28 days Later related AH discussions, after playing a bit of Plague Inc, I came up with the idea of a TL exploring a more 'realistic' version of the Rage Virus, with the Cambridge lab outbreak happening more or less the same way it did in the original movie, but with the virus' properties nerfed in the following ways:

1. Instead of completely infecting a host within 10-20 seconds, once exposed to the blood or saliva of the infected, it will take at least 5 to 10 minutes after exposure for the host to start experiencing initial symptoms such as painful spasms and uncontrollable twitches, and another 30-90 minutes before they fully succumb to the infection, transforming into a killing machine.
  2. Instead of taking 60 days for the infected to starve to death, in most cases, they will die of dehydration after 3 days.
With these limitations, would Great Britain still be wiped out by the outbreak? If not, how far would it spread before burning itself out instead?

Since this thread have sort of became a 'hub' for 28 days Later related AH discussions, after playing a bit of Plague Inc, I came up with the idea of a TL exploring a more 'realistic' version of the Rage Virus, with the Cambridge lab outbreak happening more or less the same way it did in the original movie, but with the virus' properties nerfed in the following ways:

1. Instead of completely infecting a host within 10-20 seconds, once exposed to the blood or saliva of the infected, it will take at least 5 to 10 minutes after exposure for the host to start experiencing initial symptoms such as painful spasms and uncontrollable twitches, and another 30-90 minutes before they fully succumb to the infection, transforming into a killing machine.
  2. Instead of taking 60 days for the infected to starve to death, in most cases, they will die of dehydration after 3 days.
With these limitations, would Great Britain still be wiped out by the outbreak? If not, how far would it spread before burning itself out instead?
Well lets see, the Virus will be able to infiltrate Cambridge city during the initial hours of the outbreak and be sporadic enough to overwhelm the emergency services from all directions when the Prime Minister gets called. Some of the infected will be on trains and vehicles headed out of the city but the painful spasms and incontrollable twitches will make it dead obvious that something is wrong with them, although it will be too late for the Emergency Services of Cambridge to contain it by the time they are told of the symptoms of the Virus.

The slower burn of the virus will mean that the fall of Great Britain will be greatly delayed or avoided all together as the British Army and NATO has more time available to mobilize and build fortifications and barricades, Scotland will likely be saved with any outbreaks found in Glasgow or Edinburg will be quickly dealt with and with the cities quarantined.

I still wouldn't call it realistic. Symptoms after minutes, with full clinical picture after 90 minutes? The quickest incubation time for any disease affecting humans is I believe Salmonella, between 8-12 hours but with 6 hours if you get a large initial dose. But that's not only the exception, it's a bacteria. The quickest viral incubation period is measured in days.

chankljp

Donor
I still wouldn't call it realistic. Symptoms after minutes, with full clinical picture after 90 minutes? The quickest incubation time for any disease affecting humans is I believe Salmonella, between 8-12 hours but with 6 hours if you get a large initial dose. But that's not only the exception, it's a bacteria. The quickest viral incubation period is measured in days.
I know. Nothing about the Rage Virus, or any other 'zombie' virus for that matter, was meant to be realistic. Hence my use with the quotation marks to make it slightly more realistic compared to the original movie concept, instead of 'realistic'.

There would be more time to figure out what's going on, so the Brits would have a chance to contain the virus. If anything, the infected would probably die faster than normal people, since they're running around everywhere at full speed and beating people to death. That can't be good for their bodies.

More delay means two things;: time to prepare and isolate infected individuals (or at least try to make some distance between you and them) so Cambridge would be lost but United Kindgom have (with support of NATO) largely better chance to contain the Rage Virus.
On the other hand if infected have just a three days life span (at this point, i think the whole metabolism would be ransacked by virus effects, immune system going south and hormonal system being obliterated), it would easy to contain the oubtreak.

I know. Nothing about the Rage Virus, or any other 'zombie' virus for that matter, was meant to be realistic. Hence my use with the quotation marks to make it slightly more realistic compared to the original movie concept, instead of 'realistic'.
I think my favorite in this regards is "World War Z" with the Zombies essentially walking the Ocean Floor and the characters saying that nobody understand how anything can survive that those depths.

Cambridge and its environs are still screwed, but you can probably get a better defense perimeter before it can overwhelm the country. It'll also cripple the spread as the Infected take longer to turn (which means they can be dispatched or dispatched themselves easier than in the movie) and don't last as long... I wouldn't be surprised if some die within hours, as all that activity will dehydrate them faster.

Is the movie already that old, still waiting for the third movie they wanted to call 28 Months later, but instead if we wait 8 years more we can have a movie called 28 Years later instead.
The movie turns 20 next year along with Resident Evil, Scooby Doo, Eight Legged Freaks, and the first Spiderman.

I feel old.
I forgot to add that Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones will also turn 20 next year. In OTL, it was released in the UK on May 16, 2002. For TTL, it would definitely be cancelled for British cinemas because the focus would be on the Rage Virus.

Deleted member 2186

I forgot to add that Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones will also turn 20 next year. In OTL, it was released in the UK on May 16, 2002. For TTL, it would definitely be cancelled for British cinemas because the focus would be on the Rage Virus.
Think everything related to media would be cancelled.

Think everything related to media would be cancelled.
Eh... I always find it weird when people are like "guys, we've GOT to think of what happens to pop culture!" in these kinds of scenarios, especially apocalyptic ones like Independence Day, Dawn of the Dead/The Walking Dead, and especially 1983: Doomsday. No one is going to be thinking about this when they're barely staying alive.

...but, while we're on the topic, unless it's British I don't see much getting canceled. British pop culture will essentially freeze and be nostalgia-based; it's going to be a long time before anyone in the reclaimed UK is thinking about making movies or writing songs. The British diaspora will eventually assimilate into the countries they fled to, and probably produce works that talk about the loss of home, holding onto the idea of "Britain," etc.

Outside of the UK, I'd imagine there might be a delay in releasing things related to viruses, apocalypse, societal collapse, etc. much like OTL after 9/11. But eventually, much like 9/11, there'll be a rush to homage, parody, and recreate the outbreak and the collapse of the UK.