Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Hi, don't know if it's of any use;
I used the river base from the geographic maps thread adapted for my own needs [below the cream line]
and my own river map above the line.
I am in the process of updating it based on the geographic maps thread but if anything on the original is useful, feel free to use.

A report I read says that there is very little information on the Volga but that it was very shallow in places and prone to flooding
and have uncovered areas where oxbow lakes formed but the details are all small scale or localized, I couldn't find anything showing
large scale detail.
View attachment 703909View attachment 703910View attachment 703914
I was actually looking for it more downstream, and where it empties out. I'll see if I can find some info about the oxbow lakes

The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and its partitions:

partition.png

I was actually looking for it more downstream, and where it empties out. I'll see if I can find some info about the oxbow lakes
So, I did some research, through various research papers and decided to expand on @EineKatze map, updating the Aral region based on various maps, added in Uzboy River and Kianida Island [ Wiki link Bulgarian link]
I hope this will be of some help. NB Its based on my map outline not the one you use but can be easily adapted.
Q-BAM0 casp WIP c.1 withdrawal.png

Last edited:
So, I did some research, through various research papers and decided to expand on @EineKatze map, updating the Aral region based on various maps, added in Uzboy River and Kianida Island [ Wiki link Bulgarian link]
I hope this will be of some help. NB Its based on my map outline not the one you use but can be easily adapted.View attachment 704468
That's perfect!!! It's exactly what I was looking for and I can start updating my older maps now!
Idk about lake Sarygamysh just based on that video of the capsian overtime but other than that it is perfect!

That's perfect!!! It's exactly what I was looking for and I can start updating my older maps now!
Idk about lake Sarygamysh just based on that video of the capsian overtime but other than that it is perfect!
? Video ?
From "The palaeolimnology of the Aral Sea: a review";-
1-s2.0-S0277379100000020-gr6.gif

Looking at bathymetric maps I think this whole Kianida Island might me made up. I can't find any traces of it where it's supposed to be located. If it was washed away there should be a noticable shallow bank and there is just deep water.

Looking at bathymetric maps I think this whole Kianida Island might me made up. I can't find any traces of it where it's supposed to be located. If it was washed away there should be a noticable shallow bank and there is just deep water.
That's why I put in the Bulgarian link.
Seems Bulgarian geomorphologist Dinyo Kanev has published a paper on it.

Can anyone help?
I am trying to put together a small run of base-maps with the correct river courses and coastlines;-
This is my WIP of 1AD

Q-BAM2022 0001 Rivers yellow.png

My question is, does anyone have any patches for coastline or river changes over the years.
I've done the Caspian and Aral seas, found the patch for the Netherlands and am working on Chinese rivers and coasts.

If not patches, does anyone have any data on areas that have changed [eg Rann of Kutch or the Wash].
I'm not intending to go any further back than 1,000BC so not paeleological changes.

I thank you in anticipation of any patches, maps, links or data you can provide.
So it does not clog up this thread, can you post to my data collection thread;- Historically adjusted Q-BAMs

Can anyone help?
I am trying to put together a small run of base-maps with the correct river courses and coastlines;-
This is my WIP of 1AD

View attachment 705244
My question is, does anyone have any patches for coastline or river changes over the years.
I've done the Caspian and Aral seas, found the patch for the Netherlands and am working on Chinese rivers and coasts.

If not patches, does anyone have any data on areas that have changed [eg Rann of Kutch or the Wash].
I'm not intending to go any further back than 1,000BC so not paeleological changes.

I thank you in anticipation of any patches, maps, links or data you can provide.
So it does not clog up this thread, can you post to my data collection thread;- Historically adjusted Q-BAMs
I love it, but the color scheme hurts my eyes just a bit.

Been working on the maps, these are patches for the Yellow River and Chinese Northern Coast;

To make it more usable;-
edit;
Yellow River Patches withdrawal.png

Last edited: