Sports What Ifs.

WI Different teams continued to this day in the NHL.

E.G. Brooklyn Americans, California Golden Seals, Toronto St. Patricks & Montreal Maroons.

E.G. Brooklyn Americans, California Golden Seals, Toronto St. Patricks & Montreal Maroons.

The old school teams could have just been luckier; the Depression and WWII kind of left it only to a surviving six. No reason it couldn’t have been a surviving eight or ten, especially if there were more teams north of the border (like, say, if another team in Toronto’s general area stuck around or the Senators survived on a Packers model) so we ended up with a US vs Canada model for years.

The Golden Seals almost got saved by being bought and moved to Houston. I forget why the NHL didn’t bite on that - it was either unstable finances or they weren’t yet sure if the WHA Aeros were going to survive if I had to guess - but yeah, there’s a lost opportunity.

WI the 49ers draft Joe Delaney in the 2nd round in 1981?

Does this butterfly away his 1983 demise?
I don't see how being drafted to a different team would have helped him survive. He was near home in the football off-season.

All you merely done is move his name from Arrowhead to Candlestick (and later Levi Stadium)

The Golden Seals almost got saved by being bought and moved to Houston. I forget why the NHL didn’t bite on that - it was either unstable finances or they weren’t yet sure if the WHA Aeros were going to survive if I had to guess - but yeah, there’s a lost opportunity.
Really? Never heard that one before.

Really? Never heard that one before.

I forget where I read it, but yeah, the alternative to what they did (merging them with the North Stars) was to sell them and move them to Houston. I think the NHL probably just played it safe, since the Barons were in deep shit and the North Stars were hurting as well. Perhaps they wanted to avoid losing two teams.

What if Jose Fernandez never died in that boat crash? Do the Marlins still blow it all up come December of 2017, or do they keep the team together?

What if the Pittsburgh Steelers draft Dan Marino in 1983? Following are my thoughts in regards to individual seasons:

1983 - I do not see Chuck Noll losing patience with incumbent Cliff Stoudt until week four against New England, a 23 to 28 loss in which Stoudt tossed 2 interceptions and was sacked 3 times. With Marino at the helm rest of the way, Steelers win at least one if not two more games, and travel to Oakland for the AFC Championship after defeating Seattle in the Divisional Round. That said, I say the Raiders are still better than a Pittsburgh led rookie Marino team and prevail but closer than in OTL, 27 to 17.

1984 - This is where things get interesting in that Marino to Pittsburgh, obviously, butterflies away the Dolphins 14-2 season in which Marino passes for 48 touchdowns and over 5000 yards. Steelers still win the AFC Central at 11-5 (instead of 9-7). In terms of the post season, if the Steelers under Mark Malone can beat Denver (at 13-3) then they can no doubt do so with Marino. Travel to Seattle for the AFC Championship where they prevail 21 to 10 after Seahawks QB Dave Krieg screws things up with a couple fourth quarter interceptions.

As for the Super Bowl ‘re-match’ with an all time great 15-1 49ers team, noting that one 17 to 20 loss in question at the hands of the Steelers in week 7, the 49ers come out laser focused and shut out Pittsburgh in the first half while also putting up 24 points. Steelers attempt a comeback in the second but fall short 27 to 14.

The Don Shula led Dolphins are still competitive with Don Strock at QB and manage to win a relatively week AFC West with a 10-6 record. Shula, however, suffers three consecutive losing seasons after struggling to stabilize the QB position and subsequently retires following the 87 season (more on this later).

1985-88 - The Steelers fielded some average teams during this span, and while Marino certainly makes them better - I would not rule out a post-season appearance in 85 when the AFC Central was particularly week - I also do not see Pittsburgh capable of making a Super Bowl run either.

1989 - Again, this is where things get interesting. No doubt, the Steelers are better with Marino at QB as opposed to Bubby Brister and win at least one more game to take the division at 10-6, where they host and defeat Buffalo in the Divisional Round. Travel to Denver for the AFC Championship. In OTL during the Divisional Round, Steelers lose to the Broncos 23 to 24, but Marino is good enough to put up one more touchdown for a 30 to 24 victory. However, another all time great 49ers team stands in the Steelers way for the Super Bowl. I say the 49ers prevail again but it is not the same 55 to 10 curb stomp over Denver in OTL. How about a bit ‘closer’ at 38 to 14 instead?

1990-1993 - This is the four-year span in which Buffalo ruled the AFC with 4 straight Super Bowl appearances, while the Chuck Noll era transitioned to the Bill Cowher era. For simplicity purposes, we will say (for whatever reason) Noll still retires following the 1991 season after the Steelers suffer consecutive early playoff exits (in 90 & 91). No doubt, the Steelers field VERY competitive teams in 92 & 93 under Cowher and Marino, whom significantly outperforms incumbent Neal O’Donnell, but even if they manage to get by Buffalo in the AFC Championship, they run into all time great, juggernaut Don Shula coached Dallas Cowboy teams.

Wait, did he just say Don Shula coached Dallas Cowboys? Yup, after taking 1988 off, Shula is hired by new Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in 1989. Despite suffering some growing pains in 89 and 90, the Cowboys take off under Shula and the ‘triplets’ of Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin to win back to back Super Bowls in 92 and 93, which leads many to label Shula the greatest NFL head coach of all time. At the very least, the first (if not only) head coach to win back to back Super Bowls with separate teams.

But what about Jimmy Johnson? He is hired by the Detroit Lions in 1989 instead, and despite experiencing a certain amount of success during his eight year run with the team, noting Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders and putting together a capable defense led by linebacker Chris Spielman, cannot solidify the QB position and fails to make a Super Bowl run. He takes the 1997 season off and subsequently is hired by Nebraska in 1998 to replace the retired Tom Osborne (I will leave it up to someone else to put together a time line for the Nebraska led Jimmy Johnson era).

1994 - Many Steelers fans suggest this is the year that got away from the Steelers, noting the 13 to 17 AFC Championship loss to San Diego. I beg to differ. I say even with Marino, the Steelers still do not defeat San Diego. My line of reasoning? In the AFC Championship, Neil O’Donnell played a VERY good game, completing 32 passes out of 54 attempts and putting up 349 yards and one TD pass. Do not see Marino doing much better than that. Reason the Steelers lost that game, however, was due to the defense, which gave up two long touchdown passes to Stan Humphries.

Even if the Steelers manage to prevail, they again face a foil in the form of an all time great 49ers team. OK, no way does the Steelers defense give up 49 points to Steve Young, Jerry Rice and a terrific San Francisco offense (as the Chargers did in OTL), but still lose in a closer game, 20 to 31.

1995 - Finally, Dan Marino gets his Super Bowl win! Steelers breeze through the regular season with a 13 - 3 record, as Cowher unleashes Marino (throwing in excess of 4000 yards and 40 TD’s) and a quick strike Steelers offense to feature an efficient trio of receivers in Yancey Thigpen, Andre Hastings and Charles Johnson, not to mention TE Mark Bruner. Say what you will about Neil O’Donnell’s three interceptions during the Super Bowl against the Cowboys (in OTL), receivers running the wrong routes or whatever, but Marino does not throw them as the Steelers outlast the Cowboys 31 to 20. Marino is named MVP after completing 22 of 30 passes for 305 yards and three touchdowns (no sacks or interceptions).

1996 - Who is going to stop the Steelers from making a second straight Super Bowl appearance? With momentum of a Super Bowl win behind it, Steelers cruise to a 12-4 records and home field advantage in the playoffs, where they face the Patriots in the AFC Championship. In OTL, Pittsburgh gets routed by New England 3 to 28 in the Divisional Round as Mike Tomczak throws for just 110 yards and two interceptions (for those wondering, Kordell Stewart gets in on the act as well in completing zero passes in ten attempts).
So where does this lead us? To a Steelers victory, as Marino proves that much more efficient and makes everyone around him better, including Jerome Bettis, whom rushes for 140 yards on 30 attempts in a 24 to 10 victory.

Super Bowl is another story as the Steelers face a great Packers team led by Brett Favre and Reggie White in featuring the leagues number one offense AND defense. Perhaps the Packers want it just a bit more or perhaps Marino, now in his mid-thirties, is starting to show signs of age, but Green Bay prevails in a defensive struggle 14 to 10. Reggie White is named Super Bowl MVP in recording three sacks and helping limit the Steelers vaunted run game to under 100 yards rushing.

1997 - 98 - Two year span in which Denver won back-to-back Super Bowls. In OTL, Kordell Stewart played reasonably well during the 1997 regular season in throwing more touchdowns than interceptions but botched the AFC Championship game with three interceptions against the Broncos. Despite Stewart’s inconsistent play, Steelers narrowly lose 21 to 24. Is an aging but still effective Dan Marino enough to make a difference? I would not bet against the Steelers in this scenario, but my gut says the Broncos might want it a lit bit more (noting the disappointing Division Round playoff loss to Jacksonville the previous season) or perhaps are a tad bit better.

As for 1998, in OTL Steelers fell below .500 as Kordell Stewart struggles with a QB rating of just 62.9 in passing for 11 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Marino, obviously, does better in helping the team win two more games but still fall short of a playoff appearance behind AFC Central Division winners Jacksonville at 11-5. Content with four Super Bowl appearances and one win, Marino promptly retires at seasons end.

Last edited:
As for the Super Bowl ‘re-match’ with an all time great 15-1 49ers team, noting that one 17 to 20 loss in question at the hands of the Steelers in week 7, the 49ers come out laser focused and shut out Pittsburgh in the first half while also putting up 24 points. Steelers attempt a comeback in the second but fall short 27 to 14.

The Don Shula led Dolphins are still competitive with Don Strock at QB and manage to win a relatively week AFC West with a 10-6 record. Shula, however, suffers three consecutive losing seasons after struggling to stabilize the QB position and subsequently retires following the 87 season (more on this later).

The 84 49ers may have been the best of their SB teams, but the Steelers beat them in SF with Malone. I think they make SB 19 more competitive than 27-14, if not win it.

Also, if Marino is on the Steelers, they don't trade for David Woodley (he stays in Miami). However, maybe Shoes was falling out of love with David by 83. If he doesn't get Marino, maybe he trades for someone like Steve DeBerg or drafts Boomer Esiason.

Also, if Marino is on the Steelers, they don't trade for David Woodley (he stays in Miami). However, maybe Shoes was falling out of love with David by 83. If he doesn't get Marino, maybe he trades for someone like Steve DeBerg or drafts Boomer Esiason.
Man, what universe I would love to be in for Woodley to be a successful, somewhat (if not Top 5) legendary QB for awhile

What if the Pittsburgh Steelers draft Dan Marino in 1983? Following are my thoughts in regards to individual seasons:

1983 - I do not see Chuck Noll losing patience with incumbent Cliff Stoudt until week four against New England, a 23 to 28 loss in which Stoudt tossed 2 interceptions and was sacked 3 times. With Marino at the helm rest of the way, Steelers win at least one if not two more games, and travel to Oakland for the AFC Championship after defeating Seattle in the Divisional Round. That said, I say the Raiders are still better than a Pittsburgh led rookie Marino team and prevail but closer than in OTL, 27 to 17.

1984 - This is where things get interesting in that Marino to Pittsburgh, obviously, butterflies away the Dolphins 14-2 season in which Marino passes for 48 touchdowns and over 5000 yards. Steelers still win the AFC Central at 11-5 (instead of 9-7). In terms of the post season, if the Steelers under Mark Malone can beat Denver (at 13-3) then they can no doubt do so with Marino. Travel to Seattle for the AFC Championship where they prevail 21 to 10 after Seahawks QB Dave Krieg screws things up with a couple fourth quarter interceptions.

1985-88 - The Steelers fielded some average teams during this span, and while Marino certainly makes them better - I would not rule out a post-season appearance in 85 when the AFC Central was particularly week - I also do not see Pittsburgh capable of making a Super Bowl run either.

1989 - Again, this is where things get interesting. No doubt, the Steelers are better with Marino at QB as opposed to Bubby Brister and win at least one more game to take the division at 10-6, where they host and defeat Buffalo in the Divisional Round. Travel to Denver for the AFC Championship. In OTL during the Divisional Round, Steelers lose to the Broncos 23 to 24, but Marino is good enough to put up one more touchdown for a 30 to 24 victory. However, another all time great 49ers team stands in the Steelers way for the Super Bowl. I say the 49ers prevail again but it is not the same 55 to 10 curb stomp over Denver in OTL. How about a bit ‘closer’ at 38 to 14 instead?

1990-1993 - This is the four-year span in which Buffalo ruled the AFC with 4 straight Super Bowl appearances, while the Chuck Noll era transitioned to the Bill Cowher era. For simplicity purposes, we will say (for whatever reason) Noll still retires following the 1991 season after the Steelers suffer consecutive early playoff exits (in 90 & 91). No doubt, the Steelers field VERY competitive teams in 92 & 93 under Cowher and Marino, whom significantly outperforms incumbent Neal O’Donnell, but even if they manage to get by Buffalo in the AFC Championship, they run into all time great, juggernaut Don Shula coached Dallas Cowboy teams.

Wait, did he just say Don Shula coached Dallas Cowboys? Yup, after taking 1988 off, Shula is hired by new Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in 1989. Despite suffering some growing pains in 89 and 90, the Cowboys take off under Shula and the ‘triplets’ of Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin to win back to back Super Bowls in 92 and 93, which leads many to label Shula the greatest NFL head coach of all time. At the very least, the first (if not only) head coach to win back to back Super Bowls with separate teams.

But what about Jimmy Johnson? He is hired by the Detroit Lions in 1989 instead, and despite experiencing a certain amount of success during his eight year run with the team, noting Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders and putting together a capable defense led by linebacker Chris Spielman, cannot solidify the QB position and fails to make a Super Bowl run. He takes the 1997 season off and subsequently is hired by Nebraska in 1998 to replace the retired Tom Osborne (I will leave it up to someone else to put together a time line for the Nebraska led Jimmy Johnson era).

1994 - Many Steelers fans suggest this is the year that got away from the Steelers, noting the 13 to 17 AFC Championship loss to San Diego. I beg to differ. I say even with Marino, the Steelers still do not defeat San Diego. My line of reasoning? In the AFC Championship, Neil O’Donnell played a VERY good game, completing 32 passes out of 54 attempts and putting up 349 yards and one TD pass. Do not see Marino doing much better than that. Reason the Steelers lost that game, however, was due to the defense, which gave up two long touchdown passes to Stan Humphries.

Even if the Steelers manage to prevail, they again face a foil in the form of an all time great 49ers team. OK, no way does the Steelers defense give up 49 points to Steve Young, Jerry Rice and a terrific San Francisco offense (as the Chargers did in OTL), but still lose in a closer game, 20 to 31.

1995 - Finally, Dan Marino gets his Super Bowl win! Steelers breeze through the regular season with a 13 - 3 record, as Cowher unleashes Marino (throwing in excess of 4000 yards and 40 TD’s) and a quick strike Steelers offense to feature an efficient trio of receivers in Yancey Thigpen, Andre Hastings and Charles Johnson, not to mention TE Mark Bruner. Say what you will about Neil O’Donnell’s three interceptions during the Super Bowl against the Cowboys (in OTL), receivers running the wrong routes or whatever, but Marino does not throw them as the Steelers outlast the Cowboys 31 to 20. Marino is named MVP after completing 22 of 30 passes for 305 yards and three touchdowns (no sacks or interceptions).

1996 - Who is going to stop the Steelers from making a second straight Super Bowl appearance? With momentum of a Super Bowl win behind it, Steelers cruise to a 12-4 records and home field advantage in the playoffs, where they face the Patriots in the AFC Championship. In OTL, Pittsburgh gets routed by New England 3 to 28 in the Divisional Round as Mike Tomczak throws for just 110 yards and two interceptions (for those wondering, Kordell Stewart gets in on the act as well in completing zero passes in ten attempts).
So where does this lead us? To a Steelers victory, as Marino proves that much more efficient and makes everyone around him better, including Jerome Bettis, whom rushes for 140 yards on 30 attempts in a 24 to 10 victory.

Super Bowl is another story as the Steelers face a great Packers team led by Brett Favre and Reggie White in featuring the leagues number one offense AND defense. Perhaps the Packers want it just a bit more or perhaps Marino, now in his mid-thirties, is starting to show signs of age, but Green Bay prevails in a defensive struggle 14 to 10. Reggie White is named Super Bowl MVP in recording three sacks and helping limit the Steelers vaunted run game to under 100 yards rushing.

1997 - 98 - Two year span in which Denver won back-to-back Super Bowls. In OTL, Kordell Stewart played reasonably well during the 1997 regular season in throwing more touchdowns than interceptions but botched the AFC Championship game with three interceptions against the Broncos. Despite Stewart’s inconsistent play, Steelers narrowly lose 21 to 24. Is an aging but still effective Dan Marino enough to make a difference? I would not bet against the Steelers in this scenario, but my gut says the Broncos might want it a lit bit more (noting the disappointing Division Round playoff loss to Jacksonville the previous season) or perhaps are a tad bit better.

As for 1998, in OTL Steelers fell below .500 as Kordell Stewart struggles with a QB rating of just 62.9 in passing for 11 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Marino, obviously, does better in helping the team win two more games but still fall short of a playoff appearance behind AFC Central Division winners Jacksonville at 11-5. Content with four Super Bowl appearances and one win, Marino promptly retires at seasons end.

Marino a Steeler? Shula a Cowboy? Jimmy Johnson a Lion? Wow it would suck horse turds to be a Dolphins fan TTL.

On You Tube, someone posted a video of the Top 10 Craziest What If Scenarios:

In the comments, someone named Triton Ogletree made a comment that was spot-on (in my opinion):

Most of you are talking about things that occurred in the last decade but by far, the biggest what if is... #1)...what if Kramer was flagged for jumping? Jerry Kramer, the Hall of Fame right guard of the Green Bay Packers admitted decades after the fact that he jumped offsides (you can see it, it's a fact) in the Ice Bowl. If Kramer gets caught, the QB sneak doesn't happen. The Packers would not have won the Ice Bowl (time was running out) and the Cowboys would have gone on to play in Super Bowl II. Minor changes: Reeves' HB pass becomes legendary. Look it up! It's on NFL Top 10 Forgotten Plays. Pugh isn't vilified his whole career for getting pushed five yards into the end zone. He possibly makes the Hall of Fame. Kramer doesn't ever make the Hall of Fame...ever! He would NEVER be forgiven for that flag just like Pugh has never been forgiven for "losing the Ice Bowl." Major changes: There is no such thing as "The Lombardi Trophy." What It's called, who's to say? Possibly the Tom Landry Trophy (keep reading...) Lombardi probably sticks around another year in Green Bay instead of bouncing to a couple of other teams before his death. What comes of that? Again, who's to say? Catastrophic change: If the Cowboys win Super Bowl II (very probable,) Lilly is no longer fueled by desire to "win the big one." If Lilly doesn't drive them to their first win in Super Bowl VI, literally everything about football in at least the next decade changes. Possibly several decades. At the very least, the Dolphins are no longer driven to go undefeated. If Lilly is satisfied, Dallas doesn't become "America's Team" and probably goes on to a few lazy Super Bowl appearances but that's all. ...However, the Cowboys made appearances in damn near every playoff for the next two decades. What if the Cowboys won four or five Super Bowls in a row? Far fetched? Actually it's not! Seriously, this is a franchise that had 20 winning seasons in a row! For a long time, that was the third longest streak in professional sport history! Not football, ANY professional sport! They also made the playoffs in MOST of those seasons. They played in five Super Bowls in eight years. This was actually an extremely achievable goal. I mean, what if Lilly's lust wasn't satisfied by Super Bowl II and they went on to beat the Jets and Chiefs? The Super Bowl is suddenly a joke (not even an afterthought at that point but a genuine joke.) It's just a stage for one team to flex their muscles. If the Colts don't make it to Super Bowl III, there's no heckling, which means no guarantee. Namath doesn't make the HoF but more importantly, he isn't mad and goes into the Super Bowl with the thought that it's a big game NOT the thought that he HAS TO win to make good on his boast. In short, the Jets would probably lose and quite possibly, the merger might not happen! The AFL might have become the Arena Football League after a while and we'd be watching 12 NFL teams run the ball every down for the next 50 years! Literally everything is different! We'll never know what Lilly's adrenaline would have done if given victory after victory but if he's anything like Tom Brady, everything is destroyed. Brady won't be satisfied until he has a ring on every finger. What if Lilly felt the same? The Cowboys were in position to go to and possibly win every Super Bowl for a solid decade. If the Super Bowl was just starting out and a Brady-esque Cowboys team swept a decade, the Super Bowl wouldn't have mattered anymore! Trades would be different. Drafts would be different. There might be no "Immaculate Reception" or Steeler dynasty! There may be no "Sea of Hands" or Raiders winning tradition. The Dolphins fueled both those teams and the Cowboys fueled the Dolphins! The Cowboys' Hall of Fame defensive tackle (Bob Lilly) claimed that being called "Bridesmaids of the NFL" is what caused him to want to win. He, more than anyone except maybe Staubach or Landry affected Dallas' franchise for the next several decades and whether you hate them or not, the Cowboys affected a lot of things in the 70's...and 80's (without the Cowboys juggernaut, the 49ers may never have had "The Catch!") What if Meredith liked the winning tradition and played for another decade? He might not host Monday Night Football. Maybe MNF never catches on without the chemistry of Gifford, Meredith and Cosell! Not to mention, Green Bay's dynasty wouldn't be as revered...neither would Lombardi himself. Yes, they still won a lot of championships but the three-pete sets them apart from most great teams. Most people think Lombardi is the winningest NFL coach. He's not! He's third! You know who's second? Madden! But most people don't know that because he only won one Super Bowl. Imagine Lombardi being forgotten like George Allen (unless you're a Redskins fan or a football historian, you've probably never heard the name but he's one of the winningest coaches ever) or having a video game named after him! Can you picture Vince Lombardi's video game?!? "Lombardi '21 coming soon!" Hell, there might not be ANY football game for your console. Madden wasn't the first but it was the first of its kind! With Lombardi dead for decades and Madden (possibly) still coaching decades later, who's name is branded on that disc? This is a catastrophic series of events that could be or not be with the simple pull of a yellow flag! Seriously, I CANNOT BELIEVE NOBODY THOUGHT OF THIS! This made me mad when I first saw this and still does! This play more than any other (that I have ever thought of) affected more teams, conferences, players, coaches, fans, events, concepts and even leagues than any other! I mean, can you picture a world without The Super Bowl? If the Cowboys win Super Bowl II and pull an instant dynasty move, smearing the Jets in Super Bowl III, there might not have even been a Super Bowl IV! Three games with 30+ to 10+ scores? Nobody is going to care about that! As it is, if they didn't tie 2-2 SB's in the 60's, the merger might not have happened. All that had to happen is for the ref to pull the laundry and quite possibly you might not be looking at the Super Bowl today on your 60" HD screen! After all, the biggest TV sales aren't Black Friday, it's the first week of February! Yeah, think about that for a moment, this one play affects your TV even if you HATE football! There may not be another moment in sport history that you can safely say affected the size, quality and affordability of your television. That is cataclysmic! You might not own as big or as good of a TV if it wasn't for Starr's 1yd sneak! Bo Jackson? Bill Belicheck? Peyton Manning? Hell, those guys might not even be known if the Packers lose the Ice Bowl. Bo Jackson might have become a full time baseball player. Manning might have been your local grocery clerk! Nearly all of the things on this list might not ever happen without this one moment in human history. Kind of sounds like the moon landing doesn't it? Well...YEAH! A lot of technological advancements are because of football and football is what it is because of the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl might not exist if that play had been flagged and the Packers moved back five yards. ALL of those advancements are suddenly gone! To me, that's probably the biggest moment in sport history barring the invention of The Olympics (in ancient Greece.) The only what if in football that might be bigger is if they said, "No" to the forward pass back in the 1920's! You could debatebly say that if everyone was nice to Joe Namath, that would have been an epic switch but this event predates that one, so I say the non-penalty is bigger. You could say that the '58 championship not happening or happening different is also huge as it was the first game that made home viewers watch football but the same could be said of the '40 championship and its radio play. Frankly, an overtime game was bound to happen eventually and garner TV attention. However, a world without a Super Bowl creates an infinite range of possibilities and is a world I simply don't want to live in and it's very possible that it could have been killed right before it began to thrive! THAT is the biggest "What If..." EVER! For shame NFL Films!!!

The Maroons are a tough one because MTL was simply not big enough for two teams and they were widely associated with the English-speaking community while the Habs were associated with the french-speaking majority. I simply can't see the Maroons either winning that fight or finding a way to survive the 30s alongside the Canadiens. The Toronto St. Patricks are more or less the same franchise with a different name and I also have a hard time to see how their name could not have been eventually changed to something not that linked to one specific community in Toronto.

The Golden Seals and the Americans could be interesting though.

IMO the worse blow for the Golden Seals was dealt even before they made it into the NHL: they had been a somewhat financially successfull team in San Francisco with a descent fanbase in the Western Hockey League before they were included in the great expansion of 1967 but their arena was not deemed to be to NHL standard. They were only able to get funding to build a more satisfactory home in Oakland, further from their fanbase, and, alongside crappy ownership as well as bad hockey decisions, it dealt them a blow they never recovered from. Get them to stay in San Francisco, hopefully butterflying Finley as an owner and giving them better DGs then OTL, and you can have them survive the 70s, after which the WHA would probably have folded and the overall picture would have been rosier for them financially. What that would mean for the league is more complicated to say but just avoiding the infamous trade where they gave MTL the draft pick that would be used to select Guy Lafleur for almost nothing would have pretty massive effects...

Regarding the Americans, in the circumstances of the 1930s they probably would not have been able to survive unless the Rangers folded but I don't see why that could not have happened... How they would have turned out later on is unclear but it is worth nothing that, with only four titles in around 95 years of existence, and only one since 1940, the Rangers have been the least successfull team of the Original Six by a descent margin. By the law of probabilities ods are the ''Early NHL New York team'' of ITTL that the Americans would be would wound up have more victories under their belt, which would obviously change the history of the NHL in a pretty significant way...

In SB II? I would have to go with the Cowboys on that one.
I think people are selling Short mr Davis and forgetting how efficient was Mr lombardi in shutting him down, if anything I can see the raiders beating them, making the upset a year early, Superbowl III would be a close affair, either team could pull it