The Heirs of Henry VIII and Katherine

In Scotland, Margaret Tudor, now the Countess of Angus, has a daughter (Margaret Douglas) born in Oct 1515 (not to mention her son the King: James V born April 1512); Marie Tudor, now Dowager Queen of France and Regent for Charles IX, has both Renee of France (born Oct 1515) and her own daughter Elisabeth of France (born March 1517). We've got Hal (Jan 1511), John (1513), Mary Katherine (Feb 1516) in England. Charles V (Feb 1500) is the Duke of Burgundy since 1506, King of Spain (Castile and Aragon) since 1516 and, if things hold, he'll be HRE in 1519.

Can I get some suggestions about marital options for these (among themselves or with others)? Renee and Hal were once engaged, but that broke up with James IV started a war when H8 is overseas.

Does anyone else have (in an opinion) a chance of being HRE?
To come back to this... Margaret Douglas could well end up marrying a northern English noble to keep peace in the Borders. Perhaps a Percy, if Henry Percy manages a son ITTL. Otherwise her OTL husband would probably still work.

I know Elizabeth Lisle died in 1519. What I haven't been able to find out is what killed her. That's what I'm asking.

Anne is going to Ireland. The gaming dice have decreed it.

The point is who that match failed pretty soon for reasons who had nothing to do with Anne or Henry VIII… Anne being able to marry Percy in a way or the other is a likelier outcome (as neither the Boleyns or the Butlers were so interested in that match)… Else Anne can end married to another noble in the English court
I've already got a TL where Anne wed Percy, so that's not gonna happen. The king is interested in the match and he's not going to fall for Anne, so he won't want it stopped. Anne is going to Ireland. Where she may be happier to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven, to steal a line from Milton. You never know, she may find bringing court manners/customs to Ireland and being regarded as an example of the good wife better than being a small fry in a small court. Remember, Henry has two sons now, doesn't have the end goal he had when he went after Anne.

Just for curiosity: what other noble in England?

Okay, I'll bite: if H8 has (at current) TWO living sons, how can everything still happen as OTL?
I meant other world events, other political events, places being built etc. If you have not mentioned them as changed can we presume they still happened as OTL E.g the fall of Cairo to the Ottomans, or the building of Hampton Court?

I meant other world events, other political events, places being built etc. If you have not mentioned them as changed can we presume they still happened as OTL E.g the fall of Cairo to the Ottomans, or the building of Hampton Court?
Uh, I'm not worried about Cairo, since it doesn't involve Hal, John, or Mary Katherine. Hampton Court, so far as I know, is going up. (I can't cover every little detail, just the ones that matter to the TL.) However, if suddenly read about Hampton Court burning to the ground, that means I needed it gone. So, yeah, it's happening (unless the gaming dice at another point decide something else. But I'm not big on things. I'm into the people and the interactions.

Last edited:
We've got Hal (Jan 1511), John (1513), Mary Katherine (Feb 1516) in England.
I'm thinking Katherine Willoughby (OTL Duchess of Suffolk) would make an excellent Duchess of York as John's bride here.

Mary Katherine could probably follow her namesake aunt to Paris - Henry would love to see his daughter marry her French cousin, I think. Or if Katherine doesn't want a French match for her only daughter, then Denmark, Savoy or Lorraine are all fair game. Francis I of Lorraine is only a year younger than her, and if Adriano, Prince of Piedmont survives, he's only seven years younger - just like Henry is than Katherine.

Hal could have Maria of Portugal (b.1513) if she survives infancy, or Catherine of Austria (b.1507).

Can I get some suggestions about marital options for these (among themselves or with others)?
Margaret Douglas can marry high into English nobility, probably to a Northern lord, her brother James will probably marry a French princess, either Renée or his little cousin Élisabeth.

Prince Henry can be paired with Charles V’s younger sister Catherine of Austria (b. 1507) or a surviving Maria of Portugal (b. 1511) a daughter of Manuel I and Maria of Aragon. His mother would surely approve of both girls.

For John, a minor princess would, like Isabella of Navarre (b. 1512), Marie de Guise (b. 1515), Marie de Bourbon and heiresses Anne Bourchier (b. 1517) or Katherine Willoughby (b. 1519).

For Mary, I’d propose Charles of France, James of Scotland or John of Denmark (b. 1518), son of Christian II, if his father can avoid being deposed.

Margaret Douglas can marry high into English nobility, probably to a Northern lord, her brother James will probably marry a French princess, either Renée or his little cousin Élisabeth.

Prince Henry can be paired with Charles V’s younger sister Catherine of Austria (b. 1507) or a surviving Maria of Portugal (b. 1511) a daughter of Manuel I and Maria of Aragon. His mother would surely approve of both girls.

For John, a minor princess would, like Isabella of Navarre (b. 1512), Marie de Guise (b. 1515), Marie de Bourbon and heiresses Anne Bourchier (b. 1517) or Katherine Willoughby (b. 1519).

For Mary, I’d propose Charles of France, James of Scotland or John of Denmark (b. 1518), son of Christian II, if his father can avoid being deposed.
Mary, born 1516, can wed Francis III Duke of Brittany

1518 - a night in February
Two men at dice:
"I've heard naught of your wedding plans, Charles," said the King to the Duke of Suffolk. "Isn't it time you claimed Lady Lisle as your own?"
Charles shook his head as he rolled. "She's not yet begun her woman's bleeding. To tell the truth Majesty, I've got my eyes set on another. She's full grown, beautiful and a gracious woman."
"Oh?" The King stopped short of rolling. "And who is this lucky woman?"
"Mary Boleyn, the older of Thomas' daughters. We've talked and I think she prefers me to that William Carey her father's looking at. But he and I are not always friends, and I'm not sure he'd be pleased with me as a son-in-law."
Henry rolled. "You do not find Lady Lisle worth waiting for?" He frowned at the result of the throw."
"I want a son to follow me, like you. For that, like you, I need a woman. She's a child yet. She has the figure of a child yet. If she were to don breeches and cut her hair, she'd make me a great page." Both men chuckled and Charles continued, "Mary has a woman's curves, a pleasant countenance, and soothing words. Who would want a boy compared to that?"
"I think we can both think of several here at court," Henry replied, laughing heartily. Charles joined in. Henry continued. "I'll ask her majesty if Mistress Mary Boleyn would prefer you to any others. If she gives a pleasant answer, I shall talk to Thomas myself. He will prefer a Duke to a gentleman of the court, I'm sure. Perhaps Will Carey would like to be a Viscount, even if he has to wait for a wedding night."
Charles nodded. "From your lips to God's ears." The pair continued dicing.

EDITED: Because @isabella is right. It's Lady Lisle, not Lady Grey. And I've been doing this long enough to know better. mea culpa.
EDITED AGAIN: Because I thought Thomas Boleyn was knighted in 1513 and I didn't double check. Thank you, again, @isabella.

Last edited:
Two men at dice:
"I've heard naught of your wedding plans, Charles," said the King to the Duke of Suffolk. "Isn't it time you claimed Lady Grey as your own?"
Charles shook his head as he rolled. "She's not yet begun her woman's bleeding. To tell the truth Majesty, I've got my eyes set on another. She's full grown, beautiful and a gracious woman."
"Mary Boleyn, the older of Sir Thomas' daughters. We've talked and I think she prefers me to that William Carey her father's looking at. But he and I are not always friends, and I'm not sure he'd be pleased with me as a son-in-law."
Henry rolled. "You do not find Lady Grey worth waiting for?" He frowned at the result of the throw."
"I want a son to follow me, like you. For that, like you, I need a woman. She's a child yet. She has the figure of a child yet. If she were to don breeches and cut her hair, she'd make me a great page." Both men chuckled and Charles continued, "Mary has a woman's curves, a pleasant countenance, and soothing words. Who would want a boy compared to that?"
"I think we can both think of several here at court," Henry replied, laughing heartily. Charles joined in. Henry continued. "I'll ask her majesty if Lady Mary would prefer you to any others. If she gives a pleasant answer, I shall talk to Sir Thomas. He will prefer a Duke to a gentleman of the court, I'm sure. Perhaps Will Carey would like to be a Viscount, even if he has to wait for a wedding night."
Lady Grey?

Two men at dice:
"I've heard naught of your wedding plans, Charles," said the King to the Duke of Suffolk. "Isn't it time you claimed Lady Grey as your own?"
"Mary Boleyn, the older of Sir Thomas' daughters. We've talked and I think she prefers me to that William Carey her father's looking at. But he and I are not always friends, and I'm not sure he'd be pleased with me as a son-in-law."
Henry rolled. "You do not find Lady Grey worth waiting for?" He frowned at the result of the throw."
"I think we can both think of several here at court," Henry replied, laughing heartily. Charles joined in. Henry continued. "I'll ask her majesty if Lady Mary would prefer you to any others. If she gives a pleasant answer, I shall talk to Sir Thomas. He will prefer a Duke to a gentleman of the court, I'm sure. Perhaps Will Carey would like to be a Viscount, even if he has to wait for a wedding night."
Elizabeth Grey would be know as Lady Lisle NOT lady Grey

Since I know so little about Liz Grey and how/why she died, I came up with my own story. Since Mary beds neither Francis nor Henry, she'd be likely to capture Charles' attention. I thought, why not Charles and Mary Brandon, Duke and Duchess of Suffolk? Couldn't think of a reason not to do it, so I did (rolling dice kept closely in their bag) and voila, a new Tudor couple. You know Sir Thomas isn't going to object to a Duchess for a daughter (even if he'd prefer Anne to be the Duchess), especially if the King is for it.

1518 is going to be broken down by month, most likely - the internet is being sh***y again. I lost that short bit above three times before getting it posted. Oh, the joys of crappy internet feed! (Not.)