Countries that could have pulled a Braganza/Taiwan

I’m gonna define “pulling a Braganza” in the following way: a regime that, having its metropole occupied by a foreign power, chooses to relocate itself to one of its colonies, ruling the rump of its empire from the colonies while still claiming the now-occupied metropole.
“Pulling a Taiwan” is: a regime that, having been expelled by some sort of turmoil (revolution, civil war, foreign invasion…) from its main holdings, manages to relocate to some tiny overseas territory and still claims the mainland, but because because they’re now so tiny they no chance of ever pressing through their claim.
There are subtle differences between the two, but they’re basically similar concepts.

Having cleared that, here’s some ideas for countries that could have pulled a Braganza or a Taiwan:
-Spain during the Napoleonic wars. Just like the Portuguese court, Ferdinand could choose to flee Europe and relocate to his American colonies (ruling from Havana? Mexico City? Cartagena? Buenos Aires?), just like the Braganzas.
-France after the Battle of France. Had it chosen to fight on, it could found a government in exile in Algiers (probably), and attempt to fight from there.
-The British and French governments in the Kaiserreich TL.
-the White movement in Russia, in a TL where the Russians keep Alaska
-IOTL examples, but Sardinia and Sicily during the Napoleonic wars.
-the Danish monarchy in WW2 had it chosen to flee to Iceland instead of surrendering to the Germans.
-in ww2 the Free French attempted to take over St Pierre and Miquelon in order to set up a government on French territory that could oppose Vichy.

These are all just obvious examples. I’m sure there a lot more we can think of.

Arguably Sicily and Sardinia do not count since they are technically the seats of the relevant royal titles.

Do the Mughals count? Babur did control Afghanistan prior to his conquest of India, and he conquered Afghanistan from Fergana I believe.

Also, the Sultanate of Zanzibar could very well count should Oman be conquered sometime in the 18th century. @Nassirisimo 's Iranian TL has Oman get conquered by Nader Shah and the Busaidis take their navy to Zanzibar.

Or perhaps some medieval South Indian dynasty could flee to Sri Lanka once it had conquered it? IIRC, a Chola King fled to Cebu in what is now the Philippines and established the Rajahnate of Cebu.

Arguably Sicily and Sardinia do not count since they are technically the seats of the relevant royal titles.
Though only the title in the case of Sardinia (Savoy/Piedmont originally we’re going to get Sicily, but the Austrians forced them to trade, thus Piedmont always remained the political and economic center) and as for Sicily... Hmmm, seems the king during the Napoleonic period had been originally based in Naples. After the war apparently they stopped having them be separate, to the detriment of the island. In a way they would both kind of be like a Taiwan, though in this case they did succeed on regaining the lands on the mainland. Mostly due to the efforts of others, especially given how Murat conquered much of mainland Italy during the 100 Days.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
Seleucids on Tylos, Carthage could have survived in Iberia I suppose, Ptolemies in Cyrenaica had the Seleucids managed to kick them out of Egypt, Jacobin Ireland

If the Soviets did not accept peace with Finland 1940, I could see the Finnish government flee to the Åland islands and remaining there under the protection of Sweden.

Just by calling themselves Romans, weren't they pretending?
When your territory has been considered Roman for centuries upon centuries and your area was given its scope partially due to agreements by the Romans to split the empire to make it easier to administer, a group can be forgiven for taking naming rights that formerly referred to only one city, but later came to mean the Empire. Besides, plenty of kingdoms in Europe involved groups that moved from different areas and either used their name on the new area (but nothing else besides some blood) and such. Heck, look at all the places called Saxony or save Saxe in the name. Not the best example, but people did move around.

Pedro the first funnily enough pulled a "reverse Braganza" where he ruled the now independent Brazil but would send troops to secure the rule of his daughter in Portugal before being exiled from Brazil itself and returning to Portugal

Also if the republicans won the spanish civil war or an Axis Victory scenario took place that resulted in a invasion of Portugal they could have pulled a Braganza again by going to one of their colonies that the portuguese claimed to be their provincies and thus part of Portugal itself
Imagine the Portuguese Empire being ruled by Angola

Last edited:
If the Soviets did not accept peace with Finland 1940, I could see the Finnish government flee to the Åland islands and remaining there under the protection of Sweden.

Considering Sweden's commitment to stay out of the war, I find it hard to believe that the Swedish government would stand its ground when the Soviet fleet and token Red Finnish units arrive to claim the islands in the name of the "Finnish Democratic Republic"... If Stockholm was not ready to risk war with the USSR over Helsinki, why would it do it over just Mariehamn?

Considering Sweden's commitment to stay out of the war, I find it hard to believe that the Swedish government would stand its ground when the Soviet fleet and token Red Finnish units arrive to claim the islands in the name of the "Finnish Democratic Republic"... If Stockholm was not ready to risk war with the USSR over Helsinki, why would it do it over just Mariehamn?
Maybe a Soviet-controlled Åland Archipelago would be seen as a dagger pointed at the Swedish capital, and hence viewed as an existential threat?

Here's an interesting one: during the Napoleonic Wars, the Dutch flag continued to fly in one part of the world: Dejima.

Last edited:
Would the British sending King George VI and his court to Canada to keep them safely out of range of the Blitz (as was famously rejected OTL) count? Obviously there's no likelihood that the actual British government would follow, but just moving the Head of State out of the kingdom would have been a major change.

The Dutch government flees the Netherlands in the Napoleonic wars and set themselves up in one of their colonies, maybe Cape town or Batavia? If there navy sailed with them, and they kept in the fight against the French, likely due to a reliance on the British, you may see them not restored in the Netherlands at the end of the war and instead rule the former Dutch colonial empire while still retaining their claim to the Netherlands.

Sweden, and especially the Swedish army and navy considered the Åland islands absolutely vital to the defence of Sweden in 1940. Keeping them out of Soviet (or German) hands was considered worth substantial risks -after all the 1938 defence cooperation negotiations were centered around a mutual defence of Åland and even the otherwise staunchly neutral social democrats had proponents of the plan in the form of foreign minister Rickard Sandler.

If Sweden believed that a hastily arranged plebiscite with the quick approval of an emergency session of the Finnish parliament would give enough of a legal veneer and that the Soviets would not launch an all out war over the issue, they could very well have occupied the islands to keep them out of Soviet hands.

I think the Soviets would need to do a little better than OTL on the battlefield before the Fins decide that, but the concept is sound, it just needs to happen before the negotiating table