The R-QBAM main thread

Let's not beat around the bush here. While it's an excellent map and resource that has been used on this site for many years, the QBAM is wrong.

As far as I'm aware this was first pointed out by @Ashtagon (I'll link to their DA post because I honestly can't be bothered trawling through the forum for the earliest mention of it here).

To summarise, the QBAM isn't in any known projection. It's a sort of hybrid between Robinson and Kavrayskiy VII, which fits because for a long time those were the two projections it was suspected to be. But it doesn't end there. Most of Africa, Eurasia, Australia and the Pacific is located too far to the west by several pixels, and very annoyingly it isn't a consistent misplace, with some areas further out from where they should be than others, meaning you can't just select a whole landmass and move it a few pixels to solve the problem - everything has to be subtly warped for it to work.

Aside from everything being not quite the right shape and not quite in the right position, there were some particularly glaring issues that have been known for a while, particularly around the edges of the map and at the poles where distortion is greatest. Antarctica is completely wrong for example, and this has been known and been pointed out for years. I myself was amused and annoyed to notice several years ago that St. Lawrence Island (the only other significant landmass beside Antarctica cut in half by the edge of the map if you take 10 degrees east as the central meridian) has long been shown on the QBAM as two separate islands, one on each side of the divide.

So yes, the QBAM is wrong. The problem is that I and many others have spent years using it to make AH-maps, and a great trove of associated geographical and historical patches have been produced to complement it. And this is where the sunk cost fallacy kicks in - it was only noticed that the QBAM was wrong after all the associated maps and other material had been produced. Thus most people decided to either ignore the problem and keep using the flawed basemap, or else attempt the almost impossible sisyphean task of trying to patch the problems away.

For a long time I was in the "the problems can be patched if we work hard enough at it" camp, but over the last few years I've slowly been coming to the conclusion that the best thing to do is re-start from fresh. As I mentioned above, sunk cost fallacy is a thing, and eventually you should realise that it's best to start over rather than continue pouring time and effort into a flawed project.

I've had a bit of a long creative slump recently (the same reason my current TL is long dormant unfortunately, though I'm considering a reboot), but back in July I started work on this map, and even once I was done I wanted to continue. So back in October I got to work fixing a major problem of the old QBAM - Antarctica. First I found a good equirectangular basemap (the old 8K-BAM, in case you were interested), shrunk it down to QBAM size and reprojected it using G.projector, then got to work adding a new coastline. I also decided to experiment by doing this using paint.net rather than MS paint, and while it took a bit of getting used to, having separate layers really came in useful. Doing this really hammered home just how wrong the QBAM can be at times, but it also made me realise that I had a good almost-QBAM scale basemap in Robinson that just needed tidying up.

So that's exactly what I started to do.

I consciously wanted this map to be a spiritual successor to the old QBAM, just because I'm so used to using it and have grown fond of it over the years, hence why the style is so similar. The funny thing is that on a regional scale, the QBAM can still be pretty accurate. Most of the borders of the southern states of the US were cribbed from the current most up-to-date QBAM with only minor modifications for example, while Chesapeake Bay is similarly a nearly pixel-by-pixel reconstruction with a few tweaks and modifications.

But that just underlines the problem. On a regional scale things are fine - at a macro scale between regions things break down, with single pixel discrepancies rapidly adding up over larger areas.

And then there were the bigger problems. Just in the areas I've mapped so far there have been some glaring discrepancies. In the US, the Pacific northwest is seemingly scrunched up to the east of where it should be, an island in the Canadian Arctic the size of New York City was missed entirely (Brock Island, in case you were curious), while the states of Mexico were so hilariously wrong in the original QBAM that they had to be redone from the ground up (the northern states were too big, and the southern ones squished and misplaced as a result).

On a related note, I'm also using this as an opportunity to perform a comprehensive geography update to the old basemap, as there are several areas I've never really been happy with.

As I posted on the map thread, progress is coming along slowly but steadily. I'm currently aiming to get the Contiguous United States, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean done before the end of the year, with Canada and Alaska completed as soon as possible after that. Once North America is done, I'll move on to South America, then either Europe or Africa.

But first some announcements that will probably annoy a few of people.

Firstly, the minor one - I won't be posting updates to the map using any recognised colour scheme. I'm making this map as I would one of my AH maps, which means Colour It Whatever You Like is in full effect, though in practice this just means largely using the old X2 scheme with other colours pilfered from every other scheme under the sun (most notably SUCK and DCS) in a rather slapdash fashion depending on what I think works best or what I like the look of. Apologies in advance, but this shouldn't be a major problem.

What may annoy people who want this done quickly however is that I do not want this to be a collaborative project. I'll get it all done on my own, no matter how long it takes me.

This is because of a problem I noticed following the production of the MBAM - that different people have subtly different styles of making maps. Person A might be a little too generous adding small lakes for example, while person B might abhor single-pixel lakes and avoid putting them in. Put these two styles together in one map and the result is a subtle but noticeable dichotomy between the areas mapped by the different people. In short, I want one person to go over the whole map with the same eye and the same perspective so everything is consistent. Once the map is done I have no problem letting other people patch it and modify it to their heart's content, but I want the basemap at least to all be consistent.

Finally the name. Why haven't I named the new map after myself as others have done before? Honestly, I've been seriously considering but never quite going through with a name change for my account on this site for ages, and it'd be a bit stupid to name such a major project after an old account name if I eventually choose to go through with the change at some point in the near future.

Instead I eventually settled on R-QBAM (with the R standing for either Robinson or Revised, I haven't yet made up my mind on that one). Also, as I mentioned above, I want there to be a lot of continuity with the old QBAM, and naming the new map the R-QBAM seemed like a good way to do that.

OK, now all the introductory stuff is out of the way, let's start off with the first patch;
- Added the Mexican states of Sinaloa, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, Tabasco and Chiapas.
- Purged several lakes probably too small to show up on this scale in Mexico. (I'll do a general purge of Mexican lakes once the whole country is done, but these seemed like the most egregious ones).
- Added Guatemala (without first level divisions - to be added later).
- Added El Salvador (without first level divisions - to be added later).
- Added a portion of the Pacific to encompass the Mexican Pacific islands, Clipperton Island and Cocos island.

1638602027066.png

First new patch, nothing particularly groundbreaking;
- Added the Mexican states of Sonora, Campeche and Yucatan, started Quintana Roo.
- Added Cay Sal Bank and associated keys (Wikipedia lists it as an atoll so I thought I'd highlight the whole thing, but if someone more knowledgeable than me on carbonate platform geomorphology wants to provide a correction then I'll happily tweak it).

1638616567070.png

You may be interested in the "Bathymetric" Q-BAM project, which there doesn't seem to have been much word on for a few months but which had already done a lot of this.
I have uploaded the 8k-Bam with the measurements of the Qbam, here https://ibb.co/HG9PFNq complete, in case someone wants to use it or can combine them. Or also if someone wants to form a group with me and readapt it little by little together with more people.
Above is a reprojected (Robinson, I think via Gprojector) and resized bathymetric 8K-BAM, and below is a blank map that (mostly) traced the coastlines off of it.
View attachment 680175
This is what we have so far

You may be interested in the "Bathymetric" Q-BAM project, which there doesn't seem to have been much word on for a few months but which had already done a lot of this.
Damn.

In my defence, I haven't been that active on the forum for most of this year, so I have an excuse for missing that.

Nice to know that it's there, but eh, what the hell, I feel like continuing this myself. While I'm also using the 8K-BAM re-projected, I have a feeling that project is using a different methodology, and as I mentioned in the intro, I've been meaning to give the QBAM a general geography overhaul myself for ages, so I may as well do it while correcting the projection.

(also, minor difference, I'm showing notable reefs, atolls and shoals, which that map doesn't. Particularly noticeable considering the nature of today's patch).

Anyway, on to the third patch - the Lucayan archipelago;
- Added the Bahamas (both islands and notable reefs)
- Added the Turks and Caicos Islands (again featuring both islands and notable reefs).
- Added the nearly-emergent reefs for three submerged banks - Mouchoir Bank (disputed between the Turks and Caicos and the Dominican Republic), Silver Bank and Navidad Bank (both claimed by the Dominican Republic).

1638677739635.png

As an aside, I'm pleased I still have a researchgate account active from when I was at uni - meant I could browse through papers on coral conservation and the like looking for figures showing reef distribution without having to pay for anything (which is also how I did the Florida barrier reef a few weeks ago).

Will this has physical features such as rivers, basins, etc?
Also, is this just simply a reprojected and traced over 8kbam, or will you use other datasets aswell to finish the map?
Oh yeah, are you going to seperate reservoirs or not?
I actually have plans for remaking the qbam lol, but since you are already doing it, good luck!

i hope this projects goes forward and most Q-bams are converted to this better projection
Well, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Will this has physical features such as rivers, basins, etc?
Also, is this just simply a reprojected and traced over 8kbam, or will you use other datasets aswell to finish the map?
Oh yeah, are you going to seperate reservoirs or not?
I actually have plans for remaking the qbam lol, but since you are already doing it, good luck!
Right now I'm just focused on getting the political map done. Once that's finished then I'll start thinking about river basins, historical patches and the like. I don't currently have any plans to add rivers, but it is totally something I could see being added once the basemap is finished. And If I don't get round to adding rivers, as I said in the intro I'm completely happy with someone else taking the basemap and adding them themselves.

And yes, the map is largely a shrunken, reprojected and traced-over 8K-BAM, but that's not the only resource I'm using, just because I don't entirely trust the 8K-BAM - there are regions that don't quite look like they should. As I mentioned in the intro I'm also heavily borrowing from the original QBAM where that is still accurate, and for other areas I'm using a combination of Google maps, zoom.earth (for almost-live updating global satellite images), and anything else relevant I can lay my hands on (ranging from wikipedia locator maps to my personal atlas of the world).

Reservoirs and general historical patches are actually more finicky than you'd expect. I will definitely be highlighting them, but the issue is an unpleasantly tricksy one that I've been thinking about how to solve for ages. The problem is things aren't quite as clear-cut as you'd expect, and there are always outliers. The two I like to turn to to illustrate the problem are Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee, and Lake Qattinah in Syria.

Reelfoot lake is a three-pixel lake in northeast Tennessee near the Mississippi that was formed without human intervention through entirely natural processes ... in the year 1812. Local subsistence following the New Madrid earthquakes that year dammed a small river, creating the lake. Natural lake, formed barely 200 years ago. Lake Qattinah or Lake Homs illustrates the opposite extreme. It's a two-pixel lake in southeastern Syria near the Lebanese border. It is unquestionably a reservoir ... that was built by the Romans in 284 AD. It's a reservoir, but one that's been there for around 1,700 years.

And there's the problem - there are some very old reservoirs, and some very young natural lakes, meaning just highlighting the reservoirs, may not work. I'll probably highlight them anyway as it isn't too difficult, but if you want more accuracy then I think the best thing to do is make a series of maps (I'd suggest one map per decade for the 20th century, with bigger gaps for earlier time periods) highlighting every new reservoir filled since the previous map, along with any other pertinent geographical changes, but I'm still not sold on that solution. And again, that's an issue I'll only start worrying about once the basemap itself is done.

With that out of the way ...

Patch the fourth - Baja California and many minor corrections
- Added the Mexican states of Baja California, and Baja California Sur.
- Changed/fixed the colour for Dominica after I realised that I'd accidentally coloured it the same as St Vincent.
- Fixed ownership of the Grenadines, with Carriacou transferred to Grenada.
- On discovery of a trove of maps on Caribbean coral distribution on the World Wildlife Fund website, added small patches for reefs in several territories. In no particular order, added reefs to;
- Bermuda
- The Cayman Islands
- Jamaica
- Haiti
- The British Virgin Islands
- Anguilla
- Guadeloupe
- Martinique
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Grenada

1638769163196.png

Finally someone has bothered to redo the Q-BAM from scratch, thank the Lord. You're doing God's work here. Also you may want to contact Klime and Drex, as they're behind the 8k-bam and did it in about a month thanks to QGIS, so you may want to look into that.

Last edited:
Finally someone has bothered to redo the Q-BAM from scratch, thank the Lord. You're doing God's work here. Also you may want to contact Klime and Drex, as they're behind the 8k-bam and did it in about a month thanks to QGIS, so you may want to look into that.
Indeed - praise be unto Cartographica.
Thanks again for the kind words and comments.

Regarding QGIS, I've never tried it, but I doubt it would speed up progress, mostly as I'm not just blindly tracing over a dataset. While I'm using the re-projected 8K-BAM as a guide, as I said earlier, I don't entirely trust it. While patching a new area I'll generally be flitting between several different maps of the area in question then figuring out how that should look in pixels at a QBAM scale. I don't think QGIS would speed that up. Also, I like to spend an hour or so every day grinding out a small region or regions, making a little bit of progress every day. The current rate works for me, and I don't want to speed things up too much to make sure I don't get burnt out half way through the project.

Anyway, Patch five - Washington state;
- Added Washington state, plus lakes and the first appearance of permanent ice cover.

1638874438062.png

A simple one today. I wanted to get Cuba done as well, but that's taking longer than I expected it to, so just Washington for now, incidentally completing the Contiguous United states. (With any luck, I'll have Cuba done by tomorrow). On a completely unrelated note, Damn Puget Sound, why does it have to be so fractal, why?.

I think you'd have to blame glaciers on that one.

Also, wait until you get to Norway.
If you think Norway’s coastline is Hell, wait till you get to the Canadian Archipelago. A mapper’s worst nightmare. (Alongside the HRE, of course.)
Chile's southern coast would like to have a talk with you.
Ah yes, the "bread knife" coast.

I've been mentally filing all three of the regions mentioned as 'bloody fractal' for a while now, alongside such other glacially-created nightmares as Greenland, Antarctica and the Alaska Panhandle. It'll be annoying, but I'll get them done. Eventually.

As for the HRE, I've always considered it a good challenge.

Once I'm done with the US-Mexico-Central America-Caribbean area then progress will definitely slow down as I deal with Canada and Alaska. Funnily enough I'm actually more worried about the lakes of northern Canada than the Islands, mostly as I've done patches for the Canadian Arctic Archipelago before and made a decent start on some of the easier islands already. I'm also tempted to dip down into South America for something a little easier if burnout starts looming. Anyway, as promised yesterday ...

Patch 6 - Cuba
- Added Cuba and associated Cays and Reefs, plus the single-pixel Guantanamo Bay exclave (denoted with the 'disputed border' colour as its too small to show a Cuban claim).

1638956547633.png

Sidenote, the Cuban cays are practically fractal (go on, look at them in google Earth), and yes, there is a coral reef that big off Cuba's south coast. Trust me, I have citations (in particular Figure 7)

I've been mentally filing all three of the regions mentioned as 'bloody fractal' for a while now, alongside such other glacially-created nightmares as Greenland, Antarctica and the Alaska Panhandle. It'll be annoying, but I'll get them done. Eventually.
And considering you added the ice caps on top of mounts Rainier and Baker, Greenland and the northwestern coast of America are going to have an extra layer of complexity. Good luck with that.

As a sidenote, I generated with GIS a Robinson map of the PNW using Natural Earth as a source (at ~1.17X the scale of your map, did it in a rush), and the ice caps look different, what was your criteria for them?

1638962648109.png

I would like to ask if having a different color for natural lakes and man-made reservoirs is possible? Doing an althist map of 1800 but having all the dams there is always a pain for me.

Probably best for natural lakes to be the same color as the coast while man-made reservoirs are like a dark blue that can easily be grabbed in a paint program and filled with the land color.