Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Also many maps during that period would show Jammu/Kashmir as a separate entity to show that it was under disagreement.
Makes sense. Not showing a capitol for Kashmir supports that.
China is shown in parts so could be before all became Communist.

This globe is possible after 1948 (creation of Israel) and before 1956 (End of Anglo Egyptian Sudan)
Hard to see but the Netherlands East Indies still exist. So I’d say 1948-1950. That would fit with China being in flux. (I wouldn’t want to be a mapmaker during this time period and trying to keep up with everything!)
Incidentally, I think Taiwan is shown separately because it was considered Japanese territory under Chinese occupation till the formal peace treaty with Japan in 1951.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Not showing a capitol for Kashmir supports that.

Hard to see but the Netherlands East Indies still exist. So I’d say 1948-1950. That would fit with China being in flux. (I wouldn’t want to be a mapmaker during this time period and trying to keep up with everything!)
Incidentally, I think Taiwan is shown separately because it was considered Japanese territory under Chinese occupation till the formal peace treaty with Japan in 1951.

Well, that globe (found on reddit, so i can't show the Americas because the redditor didn't either) is anachronistic anyways. The existence of Tannu-Tuva means that it should be 1944 or earlier, the existence of Israel means that it should be post-1947, and so on. And of course fat Togo makes no sense in any time period.
Most likely is that someone had produced that globe around the mid or late fourties, then tried to imply the border changes but did it very sloppily (chances are that whoever made/'updated" that globe simply forgot Tannu-Tuva)

On a more humorous note have some itchy feet:

badjokes.jpg

Now let's learn about shark attacks!

badsharks3.jpg

Even if one were to ignore the borders (and the coastlines) the timespan of over 400 years does make the issue of "confirmed unprovoked attacks" a wee bit questionable; how much can we actually confirm that an attack in the 19th century or earlier was really unprovoked? (Also would any shark victim actually admit that they had provoked the animal?)

And as for the borders and coastlines... well I guess it is a blessing that the labels at least hide some of them.

Oh, and while not related to the map this is still extremely appropriate here:

Now let's learn about shark attacks!

View attachment 698949

Even if one were to ignore the borders (and the coastlines) the timespan of over 400 years does make the issue of "confirmed unprovoked attacks" a wee bit questionable; how much can we actually confirm that an attack in the 19th century or earlier was really unprovoked? (Also would any shark victim actually admit that they had provoked the animal?)

And as for the borders and coastlines... well I guess it is a blessing that the labels at least hide some of them.

Oh, and while not related to the map this is still extremely appropriate here:
Unless a person has a harpoon and is chasing the shark, how would they find and provoke it? Humans can’t tend to submerge for very long, and if they are hunting or attacking sharks they tend to be in boats.

Unless a person has a harpoon and is chasing the shark, how would they find and provoke it? Humans can’t tend to submerge for very long, and if they are hunting or attacking sharks they tend to be in boats.
By existing. That itself is a provocation, and reason enough for termination.

Also many maps during that period would show Jammu/Kashmir as a separate entity to show that it was under disagreement.

China is shown in parts so could be before all became Communist.

This globe is possible after 1948 (creation of Israel) and before 1956 (End of Anglo Egyptian Sudan)

USSR is messed up as Tannu Tuva ended in 1926 (according to Wikipedia)

So it is as if most of the globe was drawn around 1950 but Soviet internals were from earlier.
The Chinese capital is in Peking so it must be after 1949. It's interesting that the ROC's zone of control is labelled 'Formosa'.

The strangest parts are Sinkiang and Manchuria. Manchuria was divided into a number of smaller provinces after WW2, while Sinkiang's de facto independence ended in 1943. I suppose the Western conception of them being separate from China was quite persistent.

Tannu Tuva was annexed by the USSR in 1944, also.

Last edited:
So does New Zealand end up where Madagascar used to be, or are we just wiped out of existence?
Looks like you were wiped out alongside Sweden, Taiwan, and Sri Lanka. The UK decided to go for a holiday up with Iceland and Norway too while the rest of Europe got compressed and Indonesia is making a break for the Indian Ocean. Seems most all of the world’s inland seas and lakes were either dried up or conquered by the Atlanteans.
At least Mexico got some new islands. I can’t even describe what happened to the poor Philippines though.

Looks like you were wiped out alongside Sweden, Taiwan, and Sri Lanka. The UK decided to go for a holiday up with Iceland and Norway too while the rest of Europe got compressed and Indonesia is making a break for the Indian Ocean. Seems most all of the world’s inland seas and lakes were either dried up or conquered by the Atlanteans.
At least Mexico got some new islands. I can’t even describe what happened to the poor Philippines though.
I think the Phillipines have been overlaid with a copy of Japan as well as this map's only instance of Sakhalin (colored as if it's a Japanese possession).