Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, again me :D
I really don´t like OTL border between Hungary and Romania, I think that with pre-1914/18 PoD are highly unlikely (something akin infamous Kazakh borders)
What about Bukovina going to Dacia (it was originally Moldavian territory I think?), as well as Transylvania, while Crisana, Maramures and Banat (other regions lost by Hungary to Romania) staying in Austria? Or you can of course play with it a bit and split these territories acording non-otl borders or something...
On the other hand, your main focus is on something else
I just made the borders based on a culture map to be honest. Then again maybe I should double check my sources.

This map is already a hypothetical so it's not like it carries much weight or is very important. Though since you are interested in Austrian partitions I'll tell you now (so I can take your suggestions into account before I make the map) it's going to happen. The Hungarian Revolution is going to succeed in 1848, ripping all of dejure Hungary out of the Empire. My plans are to have the Duchy of Warsaw "quell" (I.E march in to be welcomed by the Polish Rioters) Galicia, and have Russia occupy Loderma so it doesn't fall to poles. Austria will be left a rump state likely forced to join the COTR.

That's the plan atm. Input welcome.

Ok, I would like some feedback from anyone and everyone.

1. How do you like the style of the maps? Is it too simplistic? The (full) resolution too much, too little?
2. How do you like the lore? I want this scenario to be reasonable. I'm making it specifically because I'm sick of Napoleon Wanks, and I feel the deeper I go the more I need some help preventing mine from snowballing down that path.

3. And most importantly: I need some input and advice for the upcoming map I'm working on, the Oriental Crisis:

IRL in 1831 Egypt revolts against the Ottomans, obliterates their army, and takes all of regional Palestine, Syria, and Southern Turkey, and only staying under vassalage due to united European Pressure. They try to get independence again in 1840 but are again stymied by a united Europe.

In this timeline, Europe isn't united. France forces Europe to stay out of the conflict, allowing Egypt to rip away from the Ottomans, guaranteeing the Empire's eventual collapse. My question is this: If Egypt takes the Western half of the middle east, its guaranteed the Ottomans can't hold the eastern half (Iraq). Would Egypt want to annex that territory as well, or would they be willing to, say, give it to Persia for recognition and alliance? What seems more realistic?

Hi all, I just want to give another update: I want to apologize for the long delay. I made a promise to make a map a week and am clearly not making that standard. I've just moved into a new city to take a job, along with university classes at night, adjusting my sleep schedule (8AM is now officially sleeping in, yay), and I still don't have my apartment fully set up.

Yesterday I finished the visuals for the next map only to realize I horribly misnamed the MAIN NATION and the last unnamed file is one where nothing is named. So yeah...a delay on top of a delay.

Not going to lie, this next week is going to be among the busiest I've experienced in my entire life. This series isn't dead. I have lore stretching all the way to 1876 and beyond that I'm working on. Just...I'd recommend activating notifications for the thread.

By next weekend I'll either have a map+lore (oriental crisis) up or another update (if I'm not hibernating).

I appreciate the support and views I've been getting thus far for BB, and, as always, if you have any suggestions, questions, or downright criticisms feel free to make your opinion heard.

Best,
A fellow alt-history enthusiast.

Don't worry about taking the time you need to - RL comes before TL. We'll be here waiting whenever you're ready to get back into it it.
Best of luck juggling work and school and everything else, I've had to do it myself and it's terrible but at least you'll get through it eventually.

Thank y'all for the support.

Ok, light's at the end of the tunnel. Oriental Crisis Map+Lore incoming this week god willing.

Was going to wait till tomorrow to post to here and Reddit for "optimal view times" but screw it. It's been a month and I'm tired of waiting. Enjoy.

Just Ottomans 4x Named Current - Copy (2).png
Full resolution image here:

If you can drop an upvote on reddit I would appreciate it. Not because I'm a karma whore (though I am a little bit) but because it helps reddit's algorithm (especially within the first few hours) and will show it to more people, helping to spread the word.

Honestly, I didn't even know about the Oriental Crisis until I was deep into making the overall timeline. But learning how the Ottomans would have likely collapsed several decades earlier than IRL thanks to Egypt if not for European intervention (twice) really fascinated me.

IRL, the only Great Power that sided with Egypt in the 1830s was France, but with the French Monarchy only freshly reinstated (with an additional coup to boost), they were in no position to seriously challenge British and Russian interests.

I love the Oriental Crisis as I'm trying to be as realistic as I can in my Napoleonic Victory scenario, and the sheer absurdity of the Oriental Crisis allows me to make changes that, while extreme, can be solidly justified (yes, Persia's a stretch, but hey, French interests).

TLDR:

The French prevent the British and the Russians from intervening in the First Egyptian-Ottoman War, allowing for Muhammad Ali to declare independence and rip the most important parts of the empire from the Ottomans in the 1830s. France has a heavy hand in the negotiations and the Egyptians hold the capital, allowing for extremely favorable terms for France and Egypt and all but guaranteeing Ottoman collapse.

Next post will be the European powers putting aside their differences to carve up spheres of Influence in the Balkans Congress of Berlin style.
The lore is below (warning, long).

The 19th century has not been a kind one for the Ottomans, every decade bringing a new ailment to the Sick Man of Europe. In the first decade, Russia, due to Napoleon’s quagmire in Spain, dragged the Ottomans down in the devastating Russo Turkic war, where the Ottomans lost Bessarabia and were forced to recognize a small Serbian state. The second decade of the 19th century saw Napoleon seizing Bosnia and freeing Greece. The third decade was rapt with the issues caused by the other two. The little partitions bled the Sick Man greatly of wealth and manpower. The Ottomans limped by, just barely above bankruptcy, with depleted garrisons, coffers, but plenty of unrest.

Egypt, a previous vital organ, became a tumor of the Sick Man of Europe. While the 1820s were a decade of pestilential peace for the Ottomans, they were gloriously active for Egypt. Desiring to secure borderlands to keep the heartland of Egypt safe, Muhammad Ali expanded his borders in all directions. The Ottoman’s breadbasket secured territories ostensibly for “The Empire” but in reality for Egypt, such as the Sudan, Arabia, and the Bab El-Mandeb. Much like a tumor, Egypt acted with no regard for the Ottomans, and any riches acquired did not leave the borders of this state within a state. The Sublime Porte could do nothing but wait until their Egyptian Khedive turned their sights on territory within the empire to expand. That came in the fourth decade of the century. In 1831, a refused request to transfer Syria and the Levant triggered war. Muhammad Ali declared independence, the tumor taking most of the body with it upon separation. The Ottomans suffered a string of defeats culminating in the Battle of Konya in 1832, where the last of the Ottoman’s manpower was scattered and the Grand Vizir captured. There was literally nothing standing in the way between the Khedive and Constantinople but a temporary storm.

Russia and Britain, however, stepped in. The loss of Egypt would guarantee and accelerate the collapse of the Ottomans. No great power trusted any but the Sick Man of Europe to hold onto the strategic lands in the Balkans and Bosporus. Tsar Nicholas II mobilized an army to garrison Constantinople and Britain threatened blockade unless Muhammad Ali remain an Ottoman Vassal. Muhammad’s dreams for an independent modernized Egypt may have been dashed, if not for France. Napoleon II wanted allies to open potential fronts against Russia should coalitions again threaten France. Waiting five long years for an opportunity to expand against Britain and Russia’s policy of containment, he rallied to Egypt’s side. The Eagalet issued a counter ultimatum, mobilizing armies in French Illyria, threatening to invade the Balkans. As, if the other powers wouldn’t respect the Ottomans “internal issue”, neither would France. Such a move would spell immediate death for the Ottomans, as well as gurentee French dominance in the Balkans, plunging all the great powers into a messy, rushed scramble of a war for Balkan conquest and influence.
Russia was willing to take that gamble, and called on Austria and Britain to support them. Britain, however, believing control over the Bosporus and Mediterranean access would make Russia too powerful, polarizing Europe’s balance of power even more, refused. Austria, terrified of French retaliation, likewise declared neutrality. While furious, Tsar Nicholas II felt he could not face France alone, and backed down.

Thus, once the winter storm was over, Egypt’s armies marched into Constantinople unopposed, and found both the Sublime Porte and a French Diplomat waiting for him. Napoleon II had laid out his own plans for the Middle East.

Egypt would obtain independence, and receiving all of the levant and Syria, its new northern border defensibly set at the southeast Taurus mountains. For France’s aid, A defensive alliance, and generous offer of French loans and experts to help Modernize the Egyptian State, Muhammad Ali agreed to French demands. Napoleon II saw an opportunity for not one, but two anti-Russian allies. Qajar Persia, despite taking no part in the fighting, was to receive the Mesopotamian Vilayets and other “historic” Persian Lands in exchange for joining Napoleon’s growing defensive pact. Persia, having only recently lost dominion of the East Caucuses to Russia, naturally leaped at the opportunity to spite a mutual enemy.

The Oriental Crisis, between Egypt and the Ottomans, was thus won by the French. Russia now finds itself bordering the French Sphere not only in Europe but in the Caucasus and Central Asia as well. Should the coalitions be revived, they would no longer be confined to Europe.

The Ottomans are suffering. The Islamic Caliphate is in unrecoverable monetary and manpower deficits, and now majority Christian to boot. The other injuries sustained were minor, even if they bled. With the loss of Egypt, the Levant, and Mesopotamia, however, the Sick Man of Europe has lost its lungs. It is a matter of when, not if, the Ottomans collapse, and differences are put aside in Europe to cordially divide its corpse.

Last edited:
Good morning (just kidding, I've been up for two hours. Hooray to 7-3 jobs).

This time the map is the same size but here's the reddit link anyway. If you can, help upvote so reddit's algorithm will show it to more people. If not, np.

Balkan Berlin Conference Borderless 4x Named - Copy.png

This Magnificent Balkan Cake

The Balkan Question: For centuries the Ottomans had ruled over the strategically valuable Balkans. While they have gradually lost pieces over the years, most recently to Russia and France, they were in a terrible position by 1832. The loss of Egypt and the Levant to Muhammad Ali and loss of Mesopotamia to the Persians, as a result of Napoleon II halting intervention to the Oriental Crisis, all but guaranteed Sick Man of Europe’s demise. It was a matter of decades, if not years, before the Balkans broke away. In such a scenario, surrounded by great powers on all sides, the Balkans risked becoming a battleground for influence and control.

To avoid war, the Great Powers of France, Great Britain, and Russia met in Vienna to discuss a peaceful partition. While mutual animosity towards Bonapartist France saw the British and Russians as nominal allies, they were anything but friendly. Great Britain cared above all about maintaining the balance of power in Europe, and Russia’s expansion into the Balkans, specifically should they no longer be confined to the Black Sea, would turn the Russian Bear into almost as great a threat as the Bonapartes who still dominated much of Europe. What all three sides could agree on, however, was not entrusting the other with the whole of the Balkans, and with that wiggle room, the Magnificent Balkan Cake was carved.

Every side would get what they wanted. France would have a foothold in the Balkans by adding Serbian and Albanian Vilayets to expand their client state of Illyria. Great Britain would ensure neither France nor Russia dominated the Balkans, and isolate both from the Aegean coastline through allocating it all to Greece (the southern half originally freed by Napoleon I but had drifted under British Influence). The Russians would control the Lion’s Share of the Balkans, with Romanian and Bulgarian Vilayets consolidated into two client states. Constantinople would remain with the Ottomans, if only because no power trusted the other to control it. No side got all they wanted, but every side was satisfied with what they got.

Now, the only obstacle was Ottoman acquiescence to the dividing of its corpse.

Sorry for the long delay. Life's been catching up to me. Also, the further I go the less and less likely certain events become. I will still post something in the future, either a new map or a redone older one, but for now it's an indefinite hiatus. Sorry yal.

New 1836 Map
This is the map I posted to Reddit. To get it on here I've had to shrink the entire thing by half, break it up into several chunks, and still leave out some bits. HIGHLY recommend the original image in the post above.

This map basically shows all the butterflies from the P.O.D. in 1810 (used to be 1812, realized made more sense to push it back a year. Doesn't make a difference with the map or lore, though).

Europe + some in 1836 (Glory to Vicky2)

Europe - Copy.png

Africa

Africa - Copy.png

Asia
Far East - Copy.png

Middle East + Balkans
Middle East - Copy.png

So this is my new style of maps. I feel it's more professional, though I absolutely welcome additional suggestions on how to make it more so, kinda bummed the older shittier maps got more upvotes than this and want to keep improving.

Hope you enjoy

Again, comments, questions, criticisms welcome.

Also: I AM working on the Balkan Crisis right now, so more maps and lore are coming ... eventually. It's going to be the basically the prologue to the absolute map-changing chaos that 1848's going to be (gonna need a lot of maps).

Quibble: the British had wiped the Marathas from existence by 1819 OTL, and I see no reason why they would survive as late as 1836. Shut out of much of Europe, the British are if anything going to put more effort into growing their empire abroad to strengthen themselves.

Quibble: the British had wiped the Marathas from existence by 1819 OTL, and I see no reason why they would survive as late as 1836. Shut out of much of Europe, the British are if anything going to put more effort into growing their empire abroad to strengthen themselves.
Here's my reasoning: By 1919 IRL France was properly neutered and there was a general peace treaty throughout Europe. The U.K. could afford to look away from Europe and send significant forces abroad. Because the POD is in 1810, the Continental Threat never ends, and the U.K. continues to earmark a significant amount of it's army and navy around Europe in case a new coalition erupts, meaning the amount of power it can bring to bear across the world is reduced. They still control the (Eastern) half of the subcontinent, though, and are chewing bits off. It's just a slower process than IRL.

Also, they still hold all of France's and the Netherland's former colonies. They've basically monopolized Asian trade.

Does that make sense? If not I'm happy to make changes.

OK, and I suppose the east Indies would be a major distraction from India, but after all, the British in the early nineteenth century really never had that many troops in India, the majority of their soldiers being local recruits ("sepoys"), and many of the white officers and commanders weren't part of the regular British army at all, but employees of the British East India company. I can't immediately find figures for the 1810s, but as late as the 1850s British regulars in India only numbered 34,000 of all ranks.

OK, and I suppose the east Indies would be a major distraction from India, but after all, the British in the early nineteenth century really never had that many troops in India, the majority of their soldiers being local recruits ("sepoys"), and many of the white officers and commanders weren't part of the regular British army at all, but employees of the British East India company. I can't immediately find figures for the 1810s, but as late as the 1850s British regulars in India only numbered 34,000 of all ranks.
That's a great point I haven't considered. Consider it part of the ever-growing RetCon list, and fixed in future maps.

30 Pieces of Silver. Balkan Carve Up.
Ho boy I'm glad to finally be finished with this one. I love looking into the real implications and butterfly effects a longer Napoleonic Europe could bring, with no balance of power or concert of Europe. I welcome feedback and criticism, and am open to making changes to make the scenario more plausible. Enjoy:
As always, full res pictures below:

TLDR at bottom:

Before Partition

Before Partition Smaller.png

Following the Egyptian-Ottoman war, seeing the breakaway of Egypt and the Levant and the ceding of the Mesopotamian Vilayets to Persia, it was clear that it was only a matter of time that the Balkans broke away from the Dying Man of Europe. The three great powers, France, Britain, and Russia, all had interests in the Balkans, but also had memories of the half-dozen coalition wars that ravaged Europe just decades earlier. To avoid the Balkan Question from devolving into needless war, and despite ongoing low-level hostilities, the three Great Powers of Europe met in the Vienna Conference to peacefully pursue their interests in dividing the spoils.

The Vienna Conference was the start of a new age in more ways than one, laying the foundation for the next half-century of the three way cold war in Europe. France showed it’s disdain towards formerly disloyal allies, informing Austria of their plans to incorporate Austria’s Serbian satellite state into French influenced Illyria. The first Austria was informed of this was the same time the U.K and Russia were at the conference. Russia, additionally, proved to be too threatening an ally to the U.K. Increasing encroachment throughout both Europe and Asia threatened the balance of power in Europe and Britain’s holdings in India. Only Russia’s lack of warm-water ports and confinement to the natural bottlenecks of the Baltic and Black seas seemed to hold the Russian Bear from snowballing in power and influence.

Planned Partition

Planned Partition Smaller.png

After much deliberation, a treaty was signed. Bulgaria, Wallachia, and Moldova would be independent nations under Russia’s sphere of influence. The former Serbian and Albanian Vilayets (at the behest of French ally Mohammad Ali) would be joined into a Federation with Serbia and Illyria under French influence. Greece, already under British influence, would take the Greek speaking lands to their north. The Ottomans would retain part of Thrace to prevent the Russians or French from threatening British interests in the Aegean, and Constantinople, as no side trusted the other with the Jewel of the Bosphorus. In the end, every side got what they wanted. Russia gained enormous influence in the Balkans, the French enlarged a strategic ally, and Britain kept French influence out of the Aegean and Russian influence trapped in the Black Sea.

The Ottomans, of course, rejected the Vienna Conference. As no side trusted the other to send in soldiers, for fear of taking more than agreed, proxies were instead set up. France, the U.K. and Russia would send money, guns, and advisors to secessionist organizations within the Ottoman Empire. Ottoman attempts to crush insurgency were soon foiled, and the Balkans rose in planned Revolution in 1842. Everything unfolded just as the Congress had planned, except for anticipated Ottoman resistance. Ottoman weakness was badly underestimated. The Ottomans had not recovered from their former wars against the Russians, French or Egyptians from previous decades. Great chunks of the Turkish army simply evaporated from defections and low morale. This miscalculation nearly destroyed the fragile peace achieved between the Great Powers. The Bulgarian Revolutionaries saw an opportunity, and following silence from Russian advisors, capitalized on the unexpected Ottoman collapse by sweeping past the boundaries set by Vienna, seizing almost all of Ottoman Thrace. Only Constantinople was spared thanks to the Theodosian Walls.

Russia’s excitement at gaining direct access to the Mediterranean was only matched by the horror of the British and French. A Russia no longer confined to the Black Sea was a terrifying prospect to Britain and France alike. In perhaps the only time in Napoleon II’s life, he quickly reached agreement with the British, then a joint offer was sent to Bulgaria. In exchange for Bulgaria expelling their Russian Advisors, they would receive land formerly earmarked for French and British interests (Macedonia, and Xanthe and Kavala, respectively), as well as a guarantee of independence from both powers. The revolutionaries agreed, trading one great power backer for two.

Actual Partition

Actual Partition Smaller.png

An outraged Russia attempted to gain Austrian support in a direct military intervention. Austria, terrified of French retribution and with fresh memories of Napoleon I’s marches on Vienna, declared neutrality, along with Prussia. Sweden would only agree to help if Russia returned the Duchy of Finland, a non-starter. Bereft of allies, Nicholas II of Russia could do nothing but glower as the situation in the Balkans cooled, with new countries emerging from the ashes.

While this was a loss for the Russians, and a maintaining of the Status Quo for the British, it was a resounding victory for the French. Napoleon II has proven that the Empire of the French is still a titan of war and diplomacy without his father. The 19th century, he was sure, would be known as the Napoleonic Era.

Changes from Original Plan
Changes Smaller.png

Spheres of Influence (UK Red, France Blue, Russia Green)

Spheres Smaller.png

TLDR: The Balkans get Congress of Berlin’d, lines of control drawn. Russia tries to take more than they were promised. France and the U.K. pull an uno-reverse card and screw Russia over. War avoided because everyone’s scared of Napoleon II.

Next up: A series of maps on 1848, a year even more disastrous and fun than IRL.

Obligatory credit to: https://www.myfreetextures.com/45-free-old-paper-textures-and-parchment-paper-backgrounds/. I used two of their backgrounds to make this map. Great website and great resource.

Keep the questions and criticism coming in. I want to make this as realistic (and fun) a scenario as possible.

Last edited:
Very interesting developments, this world sounds a lot more of a kindlebox than our timeline.

Have there been any changes outside of Europe (The America's, Africa, East Asia, Oceania)? Or is that following close to our timeline?

Very interesting developments, this world sounds a lot more of a kindlebox than our timeline.
Thank you! And ho boy a kindlebox is quite accurate. One reason I made this scenario is to see the U.K's worst nightmare, no balance of power in Europe. It's fun to think about how without a Congress of Vienna keeping European ambitions in (marginal) check, shit goes crazy.
Have there been any changes outside of Europe (The America's, Africa, East Asia, Oceania)? Or is that following close to our timeline?
The short answer is yes. When I first made this scenario a year ago I didn't pay attention to the world outside of Europe. That's changed, and there will probably be more changes (suggest away). So far the plan is:

Americas:
Bourbon Spain in exile. The exiled king rules from New Spain (Mexico) and his sons rule different viceroyalties in South America, and are allied to the U.K. Only Gran Colombia and possibly the Rio De-La Plata gain independence, and don't fracture like IRL due to fear of swift reconquest.

There is still going to be a Mexican-American like war, but with the U.K. helping their Spanish ally, and it's a nasty shock when they realize they can't just waltz in and burn Washington like in 1812. The U.S. has more sour relations with the U.K. and is (marginally) closer to France.

Africa:
Can't really mess around with it too much until Quinine's invented in the late 19th century, and have to cover the rest of the world first. I imagine a much more chaotic (slightly earlier?) scramble for Africa where every side seizes land to make sure the other side doesn't. What this looks like is TBD (and like everything, open to suggestions).

East Asia:

Ho-boy.
I've taken a hiatus on Europe's 1848 map series (multi-sided Spanish civil war, French succession crisis with a quasi-Marxist Napoleon III, Prussia accepts Frankfurt Proposal, successful Hungarian revolution and collapse of Austrian Empire) to speculate on China.

It's a miracle China survived the 1860s IRL, and it shatters now. In short, the Taiping Rebellion becomes a proxy war over influence in China and is ripped apart from all the (IRL) revolts in the process. The Taiping Heavenly Kingdom in the south is friendly to France (who funneled them guns). The British turn Tibet and Yunnan/Szechuan into buffer states for the Raj, and recognize the Nian rebels based out of Beijing as the legitimate China. Russia puppets Mongolia, Xinjiang, and Qing remnants in Manchuria. Each side basically backs their own "legitimate" China. Expect a draft map incoming soon for critique and suggestions).

Great TL, just one thing; Britain was anti Russian due to a fear of them threatening the Suez, Egypt as whole was actually less important than the Suez- and cutting British supply lines to India. The Suez doesn’t have exist in this TL so Britain shouldn’t really care so much about Bosporus.

I could imagine a detente where Britain acknowledges Russian hegemony in the Balkans and Russia acknowledges British hegemony in India and Afghanistan. You actually mentioned that the Brits haven’t finished the rest of their Indian conquest yet and the Russians haven’t conquered Central Asia so India shouldn’t actually be a bone of contention by this point.

Great TL, just one thing; Britain was anti Russian due to a fear of them threatening the Suez, Egypt as whole was actually less important than the Suez- and cutting British supply lines to India. The Suez doesn’t have exist in this TL so Britain shouldn’t really care so much about Bosporus.

I could imagine a detente where Britain acknowledges Russian hegemony in the Balkans and Russia acknowledges British hegemony in India and Afghanistan. You actually mentioned that the Brits haven’t finished the rest of their Indian conquest yet and the Russians haven’t conquered Central Asia so India shouldn’t actually be a bone of contention by this point.
Here's my reasoning: The U.K. is scared of Russia the same way they were scared of Napoleonic France, a beast that could disrupt the balance of power in Europe. Also, the TL goes until at least the 1870s (if not the first and second world wars) the Great Game still goes on over central Asia, and control over a fractured China also raises major contention (Russia looming very close to Britain's great opium market).

I haven't given much thought to the Suez but you are right in that the original circumstances for its construction don't exist in this timeline, but such a canal in Egypt would still be doubly important. If the British manage to push the Egyptians away from French control or France uses the Suez as a major bargaining chip (threatening to blow it up at the first sign of incursion into Egypt), I could see it as a useful tool.

Here's my reasoning: The U.K. is scared of Russia the same way they were scared of Napoleonic France, a beast that could disrupt the balance of power in Europe. Also, the TL goes until at least the 1870s (if not the first and second world wars) the Great Game still goes on over central Asia, and control over a fractured China also raises major contention (Russia looming very close to Britain's great opium market).

I haven't given much thought to the Suez but you are right in that the original circumstances for its construction don't exist in this timeline, but such a canal in Egypt would still be doubly important. If the British manage to push the Egyptians away from French control or France uses the Suez as a major bargaining chip (threatening to blow it up at the first sign of incursion into Egypt), I could see it as a useful tool.
Slightly off topic; The opium market was a East India Company project rather than a British government thing, the government just chose to side with the EIC when China gave an ultimatum.

The fears Britain had for France and Russia are very different, Britain feared that Russia was a threat to the balance of power and danger to British interests in the East Med and Asia. Napoleonic France could actually invade Britain; an existential threat, that's why Trafalgar was such an important battle and the subsequent raids on French/Dutch dockyards in the Channel. Who's PM right now? It should be Gladstone I think.

The Admiralry and the Board of Trade would strongly oppose making a French Suez the Achillies heel of the British economy. So long as Egypt is pro-French, London isn't gonna trust the Suez, also considering Muhammed Ali is far too canny to place himself directly in the line of fire like that not at least without considerable sweeteners

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.