WI: A 20th Century Christian Fundamental State?

Is it possible for a Christian fundamentalist country to emerge in the 20th century? If the answer is yes, where is it most likely and at what timepoint?

Define fundamentalist Christian state.

If you mean something like IR of Iran or even more radical, you probably need something like POD before 1848 or something like that. Probably even earlier POD.

If you mean only just it using very Christian legistature I think that surviving altough reformed Papal States could be possible. Some African countries too have good chances for that.

I think the term "Christian fundamentalism" technically refers only to a particular type of conservative protestantism which purports to follow a literal reading of the Bible. It doesn't just mean any sort of conservative Christianity, though it does sometimes get used that way.

Perhaps @SgtRL-3 could clarify what his definition is for this thread.

I think the term "Christian fundamentalism" technically refers only to a particular type of protestantism which purports to follow a literal reading of the Bible. It doesn't just mean any sort of conservative Christianity, though it does sometimes get used that way.

Perhaps @SgtRL-3 could clarify what his definition is for this thread.
OK. I will give my standard.
Christian verision of "Ideal" Iran-a democratic paralimentary republic (or constitutional monarchy) under the observation of Church.

Things like Christian version of Saudi Arabia or Christian version ISIS is completely ASB that would only apeear in TNO/Lohali-like timeline.
PS: Well, perhaps in Christian Africa?

If the Lord's Army took over Uganda?
That occurred to me too. A quick skim of wikipedia says that the ethnic group that the LRA drew from is very Christian, so the movement took on that character, but they were mostly just more factional fighters in a failed state, with little if any coherent ideology.

But I suppose whatever dictator they produced would rule by his whim, which might be ostensibly fundamentalist Christian.

I remember an anecdote from just after the Chilean coup of 1973, individual soldiers were cutting the inseam out of women's pants on the street, saying "women wear dresses now." (How would that even work, or make sense?) So some rank-and-file believed that the Pinochet regime was some reconstituted conservative Catholic moral order like that, and wanted to show who was boss.

Deleted member 169412

If you count integralism as being "Christian fundamentalism", I'd say that Ireland and Quebec were arguably examples.

I remember an anecdote from just after the Chilean coup of 1973, individual soldiers were cutting the inseam out of women's pants on the street, saying "women wear dresses now." (How would that even work, or make sense?) So some rank-and-file believed that the Pinochet regime was some reconstituted conservative Catholic moral order like that, and wanted to show who was boss.

The same sort of thing happened in South Korea under Park Chung-hee, women having their skirt lengths measured on the streets and whatnot. I don't think it was connected to any specific religion though, except maybe Confucianism in a very general sense.

If you count integralism as being "Christian fundamentalism", I'd say that Ireland and Quebec were arguably examples.

Quebec under Duplessis was basically like Salazar if he had been forced to govern under a Westminster system.

And the Social Credit governments of Alberta preached a religious gospel based largely on protestant fundamentalism(combined in the early years with anti-semitism), but never tried to impose any particular religious practices on the population. (Alberta was likely too theologically pluralistic for that, even if the Socreds had been so inclined.)

Fundamentalism is Protestant, so one of the African postcolonial successor states just happening to get a fundamentalist faction and dictator (as others have mentioned) is likely your best bet for an emerging state of this sort.

You might get other regimes that value social customs derived from conservative Christianity. But an explicit theocracy run according to a particular form of American Protestantism will be an odder kind of duck.

I agree with others, it could be in Africa, possibly as reaction from oppression by a non Christian group or a different type of Christian, then just have the military leader of the rebellion against this have extreme Christian views