WI: Francis II of France lives longer, has issue with Mary, Queen of Scots.

“Secure” as a 100% guarantee? Of course, not. But in OTL mission of Monluc (with the promises I listed) was successful in Poland (Lithuania was seemingly less happy but followed the suit) so it is realistic to assume that it would be successful with Francis on the throne.

However, if is an open question if in this TL anybody would care enough to give the OTL promises on behalf of Charles or Henry.
I definitely agree that Charles is likely to be preferred over Henry. This is precisely what I said there:

It is only if Charles still dies of tuberculosis as in OTL that Henry may be elected after him.

In OTL, the idea to make Henry king of Poland came from Sokollu Mehmed Pasha, the Ottoman Grand Vizier. In 1569, when Sigismund II was still alive but expected to die childless, Sokollu Mehmed Pasha received the French ambassador, asked him some questions about Henry and suggested to make him Sigismund's successor.
The purpose was to have an alliance with Poland against the Habsburgs and the Russians. Catherine liked the idea and Charles agreed. Then, they sent Jean de Monluc to Poland.
This is the main reason Henry was elected. Charles wanted so much to get rid of him that he cried when they separated.
As for Catherine, she was not in power in OTL either. Charles was. Of course she had influence over Charles but she had influence over Francis too. And, though it is true that Henry was her favorite, she actually wanted a crown (either as regnant either as consort) for all of her children.

We agree.

Catherine would, obviously.
I guess we can't know what Francis would think about it but Catherine is likely to convince him if he is reluctant.

In OTL, Marie de Guise ruled Scotland as regent. If Francis and Mary manage to reconquer Scotland, my guess is that one of Mary's uncles would become the new regent (or viceroy if you prefer).
Considering all the trouble with the Lords of the Congregation, there is zero chance that Francis and Mary may let some "local noble assembly" govern without someone trustworthy above them.
Catherine de Medici here will have exactly ZERO political power and the butterflies on French political situation, both internal and external, are really huge.

Catherine de Medici here will have exactly ZERO political power and the butterflies on French political situation, both internal and external, are really huge.
Her political power would be her influence over Francis. And she had much in OTL.

By the time the Polish succession issue comes up, Francis is in his late 20s, has been reigning in his own right for over a decade, and has secured the succession with multiple sons- this might make him a bit more self-assured and independent-minded than the much younger Charles was IOTL?

Ah OK, so Caterina's just...the queen mother ITTL
She may have some influence but Mary’s uncles had more plus Mary herself. Unlike Catherine, the Guises are extremely popular, especially in Paris, and have a strong military and political backing. Even in OTL Catherine had to maneuver, and not very successfully, between two stronger parties but she could rely (to one degree or another) on support of the King (Charles and then Henry). Here this support can’t be taken for granted due to Mary’s influence (two of them had not been friendly, to put it mildly).

She may have some influence but Mary’s uncles had more plus Mary herself. Unlike Catherine, the Guises are extremely popular, especially in Paris, and have a strong military and political backing. Even in OTL Catherine had to maneuver, and not very successfully, between two stronger parties but she could rely (to one degree or another) on support of the King (Charles and then Henry). Here this support can’t be taken for granted due to Mary’s influence (two of them had not been friendly, to put it mildly).
Catherine was the one who adviced Francis to take Mary's uncles as his ministers (as weird as it seems). She was also the one who adviced him the Edict of Amboise and the Edict of Romorantin. He listened to her very much.
Francis loved Mary, he had her uncles as ministers but, when he needed an advice, Catherine was the one he was going to see.

By the time the Polish succession issue comes up, Francis is in his late 20s, has been reigning in his own right for over a decade, and has secured the succession with multiple sons- this might make him a bit more self-assured and independent-minded than the much younger Charles was IOTL?
This does not mean he has to mistrust his mother and brothers.
His mother is the one who, among all people, wants his good the most.
It is more debatable about the brothers but, considering their OTL personalities, I don't think Charles or Henry would oppose to Francis or give him any reason to mistrust them. The duke of Alençon, of course, is another matter.

OK, do we think Francis will clash with his wife's uncles?
Pretty unlikely to happen as Francis trusted them a lot and they were close to Mary and had the competence for doing a good job
He would keep them as ministers. They may or may not always agree with him. They would do what he wants anyway. He is the king.

Ah OK, so Caterina's just...the queen mother ITTL
Which is already very much if the king listens to her. And Francis did.

Francis II & I, King of France and Scotland (1544–1568) m. Mary, Queen of Scotland and Queen consort of France (1542-1592)
Francis III & II of France Scotland (1562-1592) m. 1585, Catalina Micaela of Spain (1567-1597)​
Catherine (1563-1620) m. 1579, Ernest of Austria, Governor in the Archduchy of Austria, later, Governor of Inner Austria and Governor of the Netherlands (1553-1595)​
Mary (1565-1629) m. 1581, Sigismund III & I Vasa, King of Poland and Sweden & Grand Duke of Lithuania and of Finland (1566–1632)​
Jacques Henry, Duke of of Touraine and Albany (1566-1599) m. 1586, Christina of Lorraine (1565–1637)​

Last edited:
Francis II & I, King of France and Scotland (1544–1568) m. Mary, Queen of Scotland and Queen consort of France (1542-1592)
Francis III & II of France Scotland (1562-1592) m. 1585, Catalina Micaela of Spain (1567-1597) m​
Anne (1563) m. 1579, Matthias, Governor of the Netherlands (1557-1619) later Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke of Austria, King of Hungary, Croatia, and Bohemia​
Mary (b. 1565) m. 1581, Sigismund III & I Vasa (1566–1632) King of Poland and Sweden & Grand Duke of Lithuania and of Finland​
Jacob, Duke of Brittany and Albany (b. 1566) m. 1586, Christina of Lorraine (1565–1637)​
The eldest daughter of the King of France will NOT marry a third son… if Francis decided to play on Rudof’s refusal to marry, hoping to see his son-in-law or grandchild on the Austrian throne then Anne would marry Archduke Ernest (1553-1595) not Matthias
Sigismund Vasa is pretty unlikely to become King of Poland here

Francis III & II of France Scotland (1562-1592) m. 1585, Catalina Micaela of Spain (1567-1597) m​
Anne (1563) m. 1579, Matthias, Governor of the Netherlands (1557-1619) later Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke of Austria, King of Hungary, Croatia, and Bohemia​
Mary (b. 1565) m. 1581, Sigismund III & I Vasa (1566–1632) King of Poland and Sweden & Grand Duke of Lithuania and of Finland​
Jacob, Duke of Brittany and Albany (b. 1566) m. 1586, Christina of Lorraine (1565–1637)​
Jacob?

The eldest daughter of the King of France will NOT marry a third son… if Francis decided to play on Rudof’s refusal to marry, hoping to see his son-in-law or grandchild on the Austrian throne then Anne would marry Archduke Ernest (1553-1595) not Matthias
My bad I forgot about Ernest. The story was that while waiting for Rudolf to propose, Francis and Matthias spoke and Francis likes the way he held himself.
The same Narrative would work for Ernest.
Sigismund’s strong Catholic and heir of Sweden made him an ideal candidate for a French bride. The claim to Poland is still there and his push for counter-reformation make him a force to go against.
Jacob is the French for James, an honour to her father.
I guess @Jonathan intended James but got the wrong name (and wrong title as he would not be Duke of Brittany, as it will not be given as title to someone outside the direct line of succession)
The French titles were tricky as Orleans, Berry, Anjou were taking.
I was contemplating Normandy but didn’t know if that would trigger Elizabethan England.

So, Francis II would die at 24, Mary QoS at 50 and Francis III at 30?
Also, why Anne as a name?

Why? Even if Charles and/or Henry becomes king of Poland, Sigismund has chances to outlive them (he was around 15 years younger). He would be a serious candidate for the next election.
Sigismund’s strong Catholic and heir of Sweden made him an ideal candidate for a French bride. The claim to Poland is still there and his push for counter-reformation make him a force to go against.
I agree but I think it would make more sense for him to marry Christine of Lorraine, due to her being descendant of the kings of the Union of Kalmar.

(and wrong title as he would not be Duke of Brittany, as it will not be given as title to someone outside the direct line of succession)
For once, we agree.
The French titles were tricky as Orleans, Berry, Anjou were taking.
I was contemplating Normandy but didn’t know if that would trigger Elizabethan England.
Mary QoS claimed the throne of England itself. After that, I guess using the title of duke of Normandy would not make a big difference. Also, this title had already been held by three Valois princes.
However, I suspect that, just like the title of duke of Brittany, it may be too important to give it to a younger son. Last time this title was given to a younger son (namely Charles, Louis XI's brother), it led to nothing good.
Same thing for the titles of duke of Aquitaine and duke of Burgundy (the latter being in addition an unnecessary provocation to the Habsburgs).
I suggest duke of Touraine.

Jacob is the French for James, an honour to her father.
Actually, the French for "James" is "Jacques". "Jacob" is the Latin.
And, if you want to use the French names, you should also use "François" and "Marie" instead of "Francis" and "Mary".

So, Francis II would die at 24, Mary QoS at 50 and Francis III at 30?
Also, why Anne as a name?
Yer none of his brothers survived to a good age. This age gives Francis the time to see his all his children births as well as a couple years with the youngest.
Mary takes after her grandmothers living a substantial life, but not as excessive as her maternal grandmother.
Again like his father and uncles, he won’t live a long life.
As for Anne, I can’t remember why I wrote that name and can’t see a logical reason. Catherine after Francis II’s mother would be more fitting. Might have been an brain blip thinking of other timelines.
I agree but I think it would make more sense for him to marry Christine of Lorraine, due to her being descendant of the kings of the Union of Kalmar.
But wouldn’t he want the support of France to be behind him.
Mary QoS claimed the throne of England itself. After that, I guess using the title of duke of Normandy would not make a big difference. Also, this title had already been held by three Valois princes.
However, I suspect that, just like the title of duke of Brittany, it may be too important to give it to a younger son. Last time this title was given to a younger son (namely Charles, Louis XI's brother), it led to nothing good.
Same thing for the titles of duke of Aquitaine and duke of Burgundy (the latter being in addition an unnecessary provocation to the Habsburgs).
I suggest duke of Touraine.
I’ll go with Touraine.
I’m not the best with French nobility titles. I much prefer the slightly simplistic logic of English royal titles.
Actually, the French for "James" is "Jacques". "Jacob" is the Latin.
And, if you want to use the French names, you should also use "François" and "Marie" instead of "Francis" and "Mary".
Ahhh my bad, again not use to French names.

@FouDuRoy @Jonathan : Anne is fine as name for a daughter of Francis and Mary (maybe Catherine, Antoinette or Elisabeth would be more appropriated but Anna d’Este, Duchess of Guisa was Francis’ second cousin and Mary’s aunt-by-marriage)