Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if Napoleon had won in Russia and then successfully invaded Britain?
Europe in 1820
View attachment 697445

A simple map but I tried to be realistic, taking into account real plans but also some ideas I had.
Any doubt just ask :))
Are the Channel Islands French or is the fact that they still have an outline (rather than now being some unnoticed islands of the coast) suggest the violet around them is referring to the English satellite rather than- Huh. Kind of odd, actually. You would think the Irish would be shown as under French sway. Not worth it, I guess. How many of the areas with the French outline in Europe are republics? And is Gibraltar Spanish, French, or English? Nice to see the Illyria area as it’s own thing. Did France shedding so much land in the north come after Napoleon?

to be fair, in a more healthy era, that would have been last thread.
And isn't it sad to see?

Anyway, update on the mapmaking thing... I had extremely severe problems with my main computer, so, depending on if can save anything, I might have wholly scrap the Fallout project.

Last edited:
Here is a Linguistic Map of an Alternate Earth where Indo European(Mannic) didn't spread as far.

View attachment 697372
I gave Paleo Iberian, Tyrsenian, Indo European, Uralic, Afro Asiatic and Niger Kongo families in world names. I would appreciate any suggestions for the other families.
"Inuit-Aleut" has never been a good term for the language (since "Inuit" is not the name of the people in some Inuit languages, and it leaves out the Yupik branch entirely). The older term "Eskimo-Aleut" is more valid since "Eskimo" includes the Yupik, but outside of Alaska, "Eskimo" is considered dated and offensive. Some researchers proposed "Inuit-Yupik-Unangan", but this feels a bit awkward. I devised "Thulean" for my TL based on comparisons to classical Ultima Thule, plus it sounds like a term a late 19th century linguist might devise.

Korean would probably have a different name too given its expansion in North China there.

Crossposting this map from my TL, A Horn of Bronze, linked in my signature.
aWlGyEs.png

I've seen that in previous maps from this TL, I think it's a cultural thing ITTL.

That's not how east and west works.

Also grey-white shows "Prefecture of West King" (in the East) but "districts subject to East King". Similarly the dark colours are similar in that "Prefectures of East King" (which is in the west again) but still "districts subject to West King".

Edit: in fact, despite the legend calling the colour East King, note 10 refers to the west king. Similarly, note 21 refers to the East King.
Therefore the legend must indeed be wrong.

Last edited:
"Mabuhay ang Kalayaan!, Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!"
---------------------------------------------------------
This is just something I came up with when I was having a conversation with my friend regarding the dumb sci-fi trope of World Governments unifying the world with not a single problem whatsoever.

So for this one, after a particularly brutal and violent Third World War, the United States and the European Union decided to unify most of the world under the United Nations as way to prevent another World War from happening. While most 1st World Countries agreed, other countries took come coercion to join while the rest just simply said no in the referendums.

For the countries that agreed to join, nearly all of them are experiencing civil unrests as the opposition saw this as a move to a more authoritarian form of government. One of these countries is the Philippines.

Might also make a world map to show the current situation of the rest of the world.
deq6rv8-fae8e03a-fccf-49b1-a3c9-ed45a5149ee0.png

I've seen that in previous maps from this TL, I think it's a cultural thing ITTL.

That's not how east and west works.

Also grey-white shows "Prefecture of West King" (in the East) but "districts subject to East King". Similarly the dark colours are similar in that "Prefectures of East King" (which is in the west again) but still "districts subject to West King".

Edit: in fact, despite the legend calling the colour East King, note 10 refers to the west king. Similarly, note 21 refers to the East King.
Therefore the legend must indeed be wrong.
I have a mental difficulty of telling left from right which extends to related concepts like east-west and even my TL's color symbolism for directions (black = west, white = east). I have to stop and consciously think about it for a few seconds unlike practically everything else. I could've sworn I fixed it this time (spent a few minutes pouring over that legend), but I guess not.

I realized I had this when people kept pointing it out in the thread and I'd notice how frequently I mixed it all up. It's really inconvenient to have given the sort of stuff I'm writing and drawing.

Here's Southern Europe in Long Italy's world (the Bahamas are greek, and claimed by Croatia and Albania)

Attachments

• Long Italy.png
    Long Italy.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 433
Here's Southern Europe in Long Italy's world (the Bahamas are greek, and claimed by Croatia and Albania)

Until explanation to the contrary that Japan is called Rumelia and is a monarchy under the Ottomans (Anatolia on the other hand has a Turkish Republic like OTL).

Or vice versa between Japan and Anatolia.

Until explanation to the contrary that Japan is called Rumelia and is a monarchy under the Ottomans (Anatolia on the other hand has a Turkish Republic like OTL).

Or vice versa between Japan and Anatolia.

Meanwhile, a country that looks suspiciously like an outsized Bulgaria turned on end lurks off the coast of China.

Re: divisions of a World Government
Why not use UN Georegions with 22 World Governors?

Any actual federal world government could not have divisions with that many people in them, aside from the pure administrative issues you have the cultural and socioeconomic issues.
I'd add to it's much easier to control things with a large amount of smaller divisions as you have the political divide and conquer as well as making it difficult for any one or group to gather the resources needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.