College football's sleeping giant awakens.

A cursory research has made me look at SUNY Stony Brook on Long Island and it was a Division II school at the start of this discussion and was moving up to where it is currently at a Football Championship School which is one level lower than Football Bowl School level.
The main thing is to get a school that is identified as a NYC school as of right now the most popular school in NYC for college football is Norte Dame.
Notre Dame will also be a future expansion target, the ECC can't add them yet because they already have a TV deal with NBC

What should become of the other conferences?
I think big 10 would be surprised of losing Penn state, metro is doomed earlier that OTL...and Sec is SEC, and we might have butterfly away the AAC forever. Wonder what will be of Jimmy Johnson Miami ittl

Southwest Conference will dissolve as IOTL, Big Ten looks to the West at Nebraska and Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Oklahoma go to the SEC, the remaining Big 8 and SWC schools form a new conference without the big name programs.
I could see a bidding war for Kansas but the state legislature will put in a provision that wherever Kansas goes Kansas St. follows.

Okay, I replaced SCar with Boston College. But they'll be a viable expansion target in the future.

Personally, I liked the idea of SC being in. I think they were a logical choice. I see you have Maryland in, they could be a good rival for Maryland, along with WVU, Penn State for the Terrapins. I think the conference has a lot of natural rivals beyond the historic Pitt-Penn State, Pitt-West Viginia. Temple and Rutgers, Boston College and Syracuse, Miami and Florida State all seem like they will shape into game that take place on 'rivalry weekend'.

My thoughts,

I think Cincinnati would be a better fit as with few exceptions you would want schools in the bigger cities in the conference and Cincinnati makes a better rival to both Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

What should become of the other conferences?
I think you might have a situation where the Big 10 is basically blocked by the Ohio River and Ohio-Pennsylvania boarder, they might go for teams in their 'region' when expansion becomes a reality. They're blocked out of the North East and New York TV markets, but to @ejspsan's point, they can still go west, after schools like Nebraska, Missouri. They could even go after North Dakota State if that school wanted to move up to Division 1. They could also go after Northern Illinois, Ball State, Bowling Green, Eastern, Central or Western Michigan as well.

If the ACC loses Maryland, I think they'll look to replace them, possibly trying to pick off a team from another conference. The Big 8 could expand with some of the schools it's considering now as the Big 12, BYU, Houston, Rice. Wichita and North Texas might be possible as well.

I think in the future the East Coast Conference could step into Big 10 territory recruiting Cincinnati, into ACC territory with Old Dominion and East Carolina, and into the Big East by trying to pick-off UConn and Villanova. Remember, Howie Long went to Villanova. Buffalo, Marshall, South Florida, UCF, Army and Navy could be future targets as well. One in SEC territory might be Memphis.

I think without trying to canabalise the other conferences, the SEC could pick up the likes of Southern Mississippi, Louisiana Tech, Florida Atlantic and UAB. Some of the Sun Belt schools might be considered.

I think the PAC-10/PAC-12 would try to expand with Mountain West schools. especially Air Force.

My thoughts,

I think you might have a situation where the Big 10 is basically blocked by the Ohio River and Ohio-Pennsylvania boarder, they might go for teams in their 'region' when expansion becomes a reality. They're blocked out of the North East and New York TV markets, but to @ejspsan's point, they can still go west, after schools like Nebraska, Missouri. They could even go after North Dakota State if that school wanted to move up to Division 1. They could also go after Northern Illinois, Ball State, Bowling Green, Eastern, Central or Western Michigan as well.

If the ACC loses Maryland, I think they'll look to replace them, possibly trying to pick off a team from another conference. The Big 8 could expand with some of the schools it's considering now as the Big 12, BYU, Houston, Rice. Wichita and North Texas might be possible as well.

I think in the future the East Coast Conference could step into Big 10 territory recruiting Cincinnati, into ACC territory with Old Dominion and East Carolina, and into the Big East by trying to pick-off UConn and Villanova. Remember, Howie Long went to Villanova. Buffalo, Marshall, South Florida, UCF, Army and Navy could be future targets as well. One in SEC territory might be Memphis.

I think without trying to canabalise the other conferences, the SEC could pick up the likes of Southern Mississippi, Louisiana Tech, Florida Atlantic and UAB. Some of the Sun Belt schools might be considered.

I think the PAC-10/PAC-12 would try to expand with Mountain West schools. especially Air Force.

My thoughts,
I was considering Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Carolina, and Georgia Tech as future expansion targets

But yeah, Air Force in the PAC-10 may be viable

UConn in the ECC (really needs a cooler name then that), Colorado and Utah in the PAC-10\12, Kansas to the Big10 because it is close to the KC metro area but as I stated before the Kansas state legislature would want Kansas St. to be part of the deal and the Big 10 has a thing about having schools with a good academic reputations.
BYU is a problem for any conference with a lot of public schools because of the very conservative theological doctrine of the LDS Church and I could see backlash from the students and faculty of more liberal schools if BYU joined the same conference.
Maryland would be a good fit for the ECC as it is right on the border of District of Columbia and will help in the Baltimore metro media market.
The big problem for Norte Dame is their separate television contract with NBC and any conference that ND joins will want a big part of it as a price to join.
Assuming a 12 game schedule with six home games, ND keeps 100% of television money of any non-conference games and split equally with the conference the television money on conference games and ND gets gets a prorated share on away games at conference opponents.
Any new network television contracts will probably demand that ND plays their home games exclusively on the network, but there are now multi networks contracts currently happening as both the Big 10 and PAC 12 have contracts with FOX, ABC/ESPN and that should be more than enough to compensate ND for the lost of their separate network deal as the networks will pay a lot more for having ND added to the conference.

UConn in the ECC (really needs a cooler name then that), Colorado and Utah in the PAC-10\12, Kansas to the Big10 because it is close to the KC metro area but as I stated before the Kansas state legislature would want Kansas St. to be part of the deal and the Big 10 has a thing about having schools with a good academic reputations.
BYU is a problem for any conference with a lot of public schools because of the very conservative theological doctrine of the LDS Church and I could see backlash from the students and faculty of more liberal schools if BYU joined the same conference.
Maryland would be a good fit for the ECC as it is right on the border of District of Columbia and will help in the Baltimore metro media market.
The big problem for Norte Dame is their separate television contract with NBC and any conference that ND joins will want a big part of it as a price to join.
Assuming a 12 game schedule with six home games, ND keeps 100% of television money of any non-conference games and split equally with the conference the television money on conference games and ND gets gets a prorated share on away games at conference opponents.
Any new network television contracts will probably demand that ND plays their home games exclusively on the network, but there are now multi networks contracts currently happening as both the Big 10 and PAC 12 have contracts with FOX, ABC/ESPN and that should be more than enough to compensate ND for the lost of their separate network deal as the networks will pay a lot more for having ND added to the conference.
Maryland also brings in Washington D.C

Feel free to contribute with other conferences, ITL player and coach interviews, media like newspapers etc.

Maryland also brings in Washington D.C
And Baltimore Market too.

Feel free to contribute with other conferences, ITL player and coach interviews, media like newspapers etc.
WE NEED TO learn more the newest conference, that way we can organize things better, plus we could decided if Raise a New Team in NYC from zero or just keep NY out( a shame the pentagon would never accept Army in a conference)

And Baltimore Market too.

WE NEED TO learn more the newest conference, that way we can organize things better, plus we could decided if Raise a New Team in NYC from zero or just keep NY out( a shame the pentagon would never accept Army in a conference)
Technically, Rutgers and Syracuse would bring in NYC, both schools do have NYC alumni

The ECC had already recieved TV deal offers from NBC, ABC, ESPN, and CBS, but an upstart TV network would end up winning the rights for a then record.

The Fox Broadcasting Company for 5 years had been struggling to gain carriage, in spite of having hit shows like Married with Children, The Simpsons, and Cops. Rupert Murdoch knew from his experience in the UK with Sky, that sports would be what drove carriage and ratings. He tried to bid for the NFL rights in 1987, only to be refused.

Realizing college football would be a potentially lucrative business, especially for such a major conference with as many major TV markets. Rupert placed a bid for the TV rights to the East Coast Conference for basketball and football. Nobody expected Fox to win, but to the surprise of everybody, Fox won the rights, paying a record $50 million for 5 year contract to air two ECC football games every Saturday in the fall, and ECC basketball. Including the ECC Basketball Tournament, running until 1995

Last edited:
Technically, Rutgers and Syracuse would bring in NYC, both schools do have NYC alumni
The problem is that not everyone who roots for a school went to that school as a personal example my Great Uncle who was a high school dropout was a big SC fan and had at one point season tickets, not everyone in Alabama who roots for Alabama it is just that it is their local team.
Syracuse is thought as being a more Upstate school and Rutgers is definitely a New Jersey school.
The only thing I can think of is the only available schools for a major football program is we butterfly the CCNY point shaving scandal of the 50's and they still are a major college basketball power among other sports that are offered.
Other possibilities includes SUNY Stony Brook on Long Island who was moving from Division II to Division I-AA and the potential of getting that sweet Fox money could make them take that extra step.
An outside possibility is New York University (NYU) who also had a decent football program in the 40's.
ESPN could pick up the cable rights along side of Fox getting the broadcast rights, Fox by showing off the innovations a bit earlier could get the NFL rights earlier.
No matter what you think of Fox Sports the use of having the "Fox Box" that shows the the score and the down and yardage continuously on the screen is second to instant replay on making sports work on television.

The problem is that not everyone who roots for a school went to that school as a personal example my Great Uncle who was a high school dropout was a big SC fan and had at one point season tickets, not everyone in Alabama who roots for Alabama it is just that it is their local team.
Syracuse is thought as being a more Upstate school and Rutgers is definitely a New Jersey school.
The only thing I can think of is the only available schools for a major football program is we butterfly the CCNY point shaving scandal of the 50's and they still are a major college basketball power among other sports that are offered.
Other possibilities includes SUNY Stony Brook on Long Island who was moving from Division II to Division I-AA and the potential of getting that sweet Fox money could make them take that extra step.
An outside possibility is New York University (NYU) who also had a decent football program in the 40's.
ESPN could pick up the cable rights along side of Fox getting the broadcast rights, Fox by showing off the innovations a bit earlier could get the NFL rights earlier.
No matter what you think of Fox Sports the use of having the "Fox Box" that shows the the score and the down and yardage continuously on the screen is second to instant replay on making sports work on television.
Thing is ESPN won't hold the cable rights forever, as soon Fox will launch FSN and FX.