January 17th - May 10th – 1940 – The Low Countries and France - Planning

Garrison

Donor
January 17th - May 10th – 1940 – The Low Countries and France - Planning

The attack on the Low Countries had as mentioned previously originally been scheduled for January, that Case Yellow wasn’t launched until May reflected both the need for greater preparation and the infighting amongst the Generals of the Heer over the shape of Case Yellow. There were two basic proposals. One envisioned a drive through the Low Countries that hooked east, getting behind the Allied defences, potentially opening the way for a hook to the east to attack Paris and seizing much of the Channel coast to provide bases for the Luftwaffe and U-Boats to attack Britain. This version originated with Colonel-General Franz Halder. It shared many similarities with the WWI Schlieffen Plan, which its critics used as a basis to attack it. Those who supported the plan would point out that the failure in WWI could be attributed to soldiers on foot simply not being able to maintain the pace required to make it work. The Wehrmacht had Panzer divisions now, they could achieve what the Army of Imperial Germany could not [1].

On the other side you had officers like Generalleutnant Erich von Manstein and later Generalleutnant Heinz Guderian. Manstein initially proposed carrying out the same drive into the Low Countries as the OKH plan, but with the addition of a thrust towards Sedan, advancing south before turning north and striking into the rear of the Allied forces. This plan was certainly bolder than the Halder version and it reached the ears of Hitler courtesy of members of Manstein’s staff and a distinctly unauthorized personal meeting with the Fuhrer. Hitler expressed some interest, but it still didn’t quite resonate with Hitler as the swift, decisive strike that would swiftly finish the French that he truly wanted. His interest was cooled considerably once the General staff got their hands on Manstein’s ideas. OKH were of the firm opinion that once Manstein’s ‘hook’ turned north it would be completely exposed to a counterattack unless substantial further divisions were taken from the primary attack into Belgium to cover it. Significantly the General Staff invoked the spectre of a much stronger British deployment providing substantial reserves that could pivot to counter such a move. OKH had revised their estimates of projected British strength in France upwards from 10-12 divisions to 18-20. This was a significant exaggeration of the actual British deployment in the BEF and it is hard not to conclude that this was done deliberately to pour cold water on Manstein’s plan. In this OKH succeeded, for now at least. This rejection nearly resulted in Manstein’s sacking as Chief of Staff of Army Group A owing to his having bypassed the chain of command to present his plan. Fearing though that this decision would anger Hitler OKH thought better of it.

It was only in January that Heinz Guderian entered the picture to assist Manstein in reshaping his plan. He should have arrived in Koblenz some weeks earlier as commander of the XIX Army Corps. The night before his departure Guderian had attended a dinner with several of his fellow officers and suffered a serious bout of food poisoning. He spent several weeks recovering in hospital and chafed as the doctors refused to certify him as fit to return to duty for far longer than he judged necessary. By January he was fully recovered and in Koblenz, to the point where he joked that, ‘The chef must have been a Frenchman trying to sabotage the war effort’. In 1940 one could make such jokes in the Reich, had it been 1943 the Gestapo might have made life very uncomfortable for the unfortunate chef. Guderian had heard of Manstein’s proposals and now in a series of informal discussions Guderian helped develop the plan into its final form. This envisioned the attack on Sedan as the primary axis of attack, with the thrust into the Low Countries simply acting as diversion to draw the best of the Allied forces forward while the main thrust drove for the coast and severed the lines of communication of the British and French forces. They finalized their plan by the middle of February, which left the small matter of bringing it to the Fuhrer’s attention [2].

This revision of the plan was certainly the kind of bold move that would appeal to Hitler, unfortunately for Manstein and Guderian forewarned was forearmed as far as OKH were concerned, meaning that they intended to ensure that any ideas about Case Yellow only reached Hitler after it had been properly evaluated, which in the case of Manstein’s bright ideas OKH intended to take its time over. Even so Hitler was intrigued by the plan and its opponents had to work overtime to dissuade the Fuhrer, and this time Manstein was fired, temporarily at least. OKH portrayed the plan as reckless, overextending the Panzer forces, and leaving them vulnerable to the powerful French reserves positioned to protect Sedan (There were indeed significant French forces in reserve, but as will be explained they were most assuredly not there to protect Sedan) and that a counterattack could wipe out the entire force. The plan was the subject of much discussion between Hitler and OKH, who delayed things long enough to play their trump card, namely that any radical changes to the plan at this point would mean postponing Case Yellow until June or even July. Frustrated with the repeated delays that he already endured this finally persuaded Hitler to commit to the Halder Plan. He did insist however insist on allowing Manstein to continue refining his plan, and retaining his post, to use as diversion or follow up attack. There was much grumbling at OKH. This though would prove to be one of the few times, arguably even the only time, that Hitler’s strategic meddling benefitted the Wehrmacht. OKH did modify their plan to include a mobile force built around a single Panzer Division, to exploit any opportunities that might arise in the Sedan area and more importantly to placate the Fuhrer [3].

For all their talk of bold advances the final force disposition decided on by Halder and his planners only committed six Panzer Divisions to the initial assault, with three in reserve and one assigned to Manstein’s potential ‘diversionary attack’ from Sedan. The logic of holding the three divisions back was that committing them in the first wave of attack would overcrowd the battle space. Also, these fresh divisions could be used to maintain momentum as other formations suffered the disorganization and exhaustion inevitable from engaging in a rapid battle of manoeuvre. These formations would intervene decisively in the battle, just not in the way that Halder was thinking [4].

The final disposition of forces saw Army Group A under Von Rundstedt assigned for the main thrust into Belgium with and forty-five infantry divisions, including six Panzer Divisions and three Motorized Divisions. Army Group B under Bock contained twenty-nine divisions, including one Panzer Division and was positioned to counter any French moves north from Sedan or to carry out a diversionary attack based on Manstein’s plan, though in reality they were regarded as little more than reserves and saw no action in the opening phases of the battle. Likewise, the nineteen divisions of Army Group C under Leeb faced the Maginot Line and were not expected to take part in the initial stages of the battle. In reserve were three Panzer Divisions and forty-five infantry divisions.

On the British and French side this choice of strategy was fortuitous, as it was the one they had shaped all their plans to counter. They had dismissed the idea of a German attack on the Maginot Line as even the Germans wouldn’t be so foolish as to attack those ‘impenetrable’ fortresses and the Ardennes were judged impassable, despite considerable evidence to the contrary. What the Allies had formulated was called the Dyle Plan or Plan D. It envisioned an Allied advance through Belgium to hold any German offensive along the line of the river Dyle. It was a simple plan and given its convergence with German intentions it seemed entirely feasible, with a high likelihood of success. In reality Plan D was riddled with problems.

The first and most basic issue was that the British and French forces weren’t in Belgium. The Belgians had insisted on maintaining strict neutrality after the remilitarization of the Rhineland. Even after Poland and Norway, they still adamantly refused to let any foreign troops on their soil. There seems to have been some anti-British and anti-French sentiment at work and a belief that any foreign troops would constitute an occupation. This meant that instead of being able to deploy at once to the Dyle Line the Allies would face crossing much of Belgium, potentially fighting their way through refugees heading the other way. This problem was compounded by an assumption made by the Allies that they would have six days warning of German mobilization for an attack. This might have been true in January when the original attack was called off, by May much of the German forces had been left in forward positions that meant the Allies could expect three days warning at most [5].

As for the powerful reserve that had so concerned Halder it was being held to either reinforce the Dyle Plan or possibly counter any attacks that threatened the Maginot Line. There was no consideration of using it in the Ardennes either defensively or offensively. It had even been suggested that this reserve be reduced to reinforce Plan D. Gamelin, blessed with an abundance of caution, dismissed this idea. Though as the fighting in Belgium went on this reserve would be steadily whittled away [6].

There was a more fundamental flaw in Plan D, one that had nothing to do with jumping off points or timing. This flaw was that it was entirely defensive in nature. There were no contingencies to go onto the offensive if the Allies repulsed the German attack or simply checked the initial advance. To put it another way Plan D was entirely reactive plan and lacked any flexibility. Much the same could be said of the French command structure. The French high command expected their subordinates to obey orders to the letter. The German commanders expected their subordinates to show initiative in achieving their objectives. This difference explains much of what happened during May.

To face the German attack there were eight regular Dutch divisions plus two of reserves, eighteen regular Belgian divisions plus four reserve divisions. The BEF consisted of thirteen infantry divisions (the British forces were the only one to be fully motorized at this time) and the rough equivalent of one division of armour though not organized as such initially. One further British Division was assigned to the French forces along the Maginot line. The British did have several further divisions of infantry and more armour that could have been deployed, but they had been held back partly owing to concerns about the logistics chain supporting them and partly in the hope they might be deployed for offensive operations in Norway. For Plan D the French deployed the 7th Army under Giraud, consisting of seven divisions, including one light mechanized division and one motorized division. Further south was 1st Army Group under Billote consisting of twenty divisions, including one light mechanized division. In reserve were some twenty-five divisions, including three armoured divisions, one motorized division and one light mechanized division. It seemed the odds favoured the Allies, if they could co-ordinate their actions with the neutral Belgians and Dutch and if they could move quickly enough to hold the Germans at the Dyle. Neither of these preconditions for success were met [7].

[1] It does sound like a very WWI plan, but it was probably realistic given that most of the Heer was still a WWI army.

[2] So yes, I’ve derailed ‘Sickle Cut’ for the time being, but given how much of a one man, or two man, band it was I don’t feel it would take that much for the entire scheme to falter.

[3] Meaning Sickle Cut is down but not out.

[4] You may feel free to guess where those Panzers turn up.

[5] And none of this is invented, even if the Germans do exactly what they expect the Dyle Plan is a big ask.

[6] In OTL the reserve was reduced to reinforce Plan D after Mechelen, making the capture of those plans the single worst intelligence ‘coup’ of the war.

[7] So other than the British the Allied/neutral forces are as OTL and with the same lack of co-ordination or unified command as OTL. Essentially the Germans have been handicapped here but the French are still stuck with Gamelin and the British are going to have to conform to the plans of the senior partner for the time being.

At this point I'm kinda expecting the BoF to be a demi-victory where both sides suffer a lot of attrition and France loses the northern factories, but remains in the fight either for several months or for the rest of the war.

If the Germans barely win but still take France Barbarossa will go much differently, they might even have to delay a year if that's possible. One butterfly could be that the Heer doesn't have the men/resources to spare to send the Afrika Korps.

Garrison

Donor
At this point I'm kinda expecting the BoF to be a demi-victory where both sides suffer a lot of attrition and France loses the northern factories, but remains in the fight either for several months or for the rest of the war.
Well one of those two options will happen, but remember the French do have Gamelin in charge, a man who apparently didn't believe in little things like being able to communicate with his commanders.

Garrison

Donor
If the Germans barely win but still take France Barbarossa will go much differently, they might even have to delay a year if that's possible. One butterfly could be that the Heer doesn't have the men/resources to spare to send the Afrika Korps.
I can't say a lot beyond yes the Middle East will be a lot different as will Greece, Crete and East Africa. It is really post France that we see the effects of all this shuffling start to pay dividends for the British.

Well one of those two options will happen, but remember the French do have Gamelin in charge, a man who apparently didn't believe in little things like being able to communicate with his commanders.
"Where we're going, we don't need phones."
I can't say a lot beyond yes the Middle East will be a lot different as will Greece, Crete and East Africa. It is really post France that we see the effects of all this shuffling start to pay dividends for the British.
So France will fall, shame. But I get the feeling come 1942 the situation vs OTL will be much better. A barely defeated France might even fight on...

Garrison

Donor
What does the word mean literrally?
I couldn't find it in internet or dictionary
I took it to mean that the Germans come out ahead but its not really decisive. Though from a certain perspective you could argue that OTL Case Yellow fell short as it didn't lead to the British making peace and the Germans never got a lot out of their conquests in the west after the initial looting was done with.

Well, I'd argue that on such long timeframes Weygand would actually be able to address some issues.
And yeah, I meant indecisive victory.

Last edited:

Garrison

Donor
Well, I'd argue that on such long timeframes Weygand would actually be able to address some issues.
And yeah, I meant indecisive victory.
But bear in mind that if things take longer to go to pieces then there's less pressure to replace Gamelin. And Weygand strikes me as a mixed bag. His tactics post Dunkirk weren't bad but he doesn't seem to have possessed much more energy or drive than Gamelin, he was no more supportive of the idea of fighting on than the likes of Petain. A good idea for an ASB French WWII TL would be to have the spirit of Ferdinand Foch to rise from the grave and possess Gamelin or Weygand, in fact I have to wonder if that already exists?

But bear in mind that if things take longer to go to pieces then there's less pressure to replace Gamelin. And Weygand strikes me as a mixed bag. His tactics post Dunkirk weren't bad but he doesn't seem to have possessed much more energy or drive than Gamelin, he was no more supportive of the idea of fighting on than the likes of Petain. A good idea for an ASB French WWII TL would be to have the spirit of Ferdinand Foch to rise from the grave and possess Gamelin or Weygand, in fact I have to wonder if that already exists?
Hello,

Understood. I am aware this story leans in favor of the British overall. However if they roll over the Axis powers too soon and too easily, the story becomes dull and predictable. So it looks to me that this storyline is achieving balance in order to make itself readable and interesting.

Garrison

Donor
Hello,

Understood. I am aware this story leans in favor of the British overall. However if they roll over the Axis powers too soon and too easily, the story becomes dull and predictable. So it looks to me that this storyline is achieving balance in order to make itself readable and interesting.
Thank you, the idea is that progressively these changes will build up to a much stronger British position when it reaches its climax in 1942. And I am outlining a sequel where the changes will have positive consequences in South-East Asia, the Pacific and D-Day. I've actually written a new update for Munich Shuffle covering Iraq, Syria and Iran, which I realized I had sort of ignored originally. That update, still a few weeks off, will give one hint as to how different things might be in Malaya and Burma.

"Where we're going, we don't need phones."
1637107532403.png

Garrison

Donor
Thank God!!!
On of the reasons I started working on this was to try and show that a WWII TL doesn't have to be dystopian to work and try and emphasize the broader benefits of the Allies and in this case especially the the British doing better.

May 10th – May 14th – 1940 – The Battle of Belgium – Part I – The German Attack

Garrison

Donor
May 10th – May 14th – 1940 – The Battle of Belgium – Part I – The German Attack

From the first moments of the German offensive on the 10th of May the Dyle Plan began to fall apart as in one of their first action the Germans seized the Belgian fortress at Eben Emael in a coup de main carried out by paratroopers of the 7th Fliegerdivision. This great success for the airborne troops drew attention away from the near disastrous attempt at an airborne landing in the Hague which resulted in a huge loss of both men and aircraft. Nonetheless with Eben Emael fallen so quickly the already questionable assumptions of the Dyle Plan was thrown into utter disarray. The axiom ‘no battleplan survives contact with the enemy’ was seemingly unheard of by Gamelin and his staff, who doggedly clung to the timetables that they had painstakingly worked out, unwilling, perhaps even unable, to revise them in the face of events on the battlefield. Gamelin commanded the French forces from a chateau which while very pleasant was markedly lacking in what might be thought of as basic requirements, that is telephone and radio communications. This peculiar state of affairs and the attitude it embodied explains much about the performance of the French High Command during the battle. The British Generals later claimed that as junior partners they were forced to conform to French plans, and while several of them did perform with distinction later some used this argument in attempt to excuse their own lacklustre performance [1].

When the first reports reached Gamelin on the 12th of German forces already passing the Dyle Line he was left in something of a quandary, given the communication issues the French HQ had the reports were fragmentary and contradictory, with dispatches often arriving out of sequence and so delayed that the situation at the front had drastically changed given the speed of German movement. Things were further complicated by political missives arriving from Paris. The Defence Ministry and Prime Minister had been on the receiving end of frantic demands from the Belgians that the Anglo-French forces advance quickly to the Dyle, or indeed all the way to the German border, driving the Wehrmacht before them.

In the circumstances Gamelin felt he had to drive harder for the Dyle. releasing some of the more mobile units from the deliberate, some might say plodding, advance of the rest Anglo-French forces in Belgium and he sent out orders that this be done with all speed. The insistence on ‘with all speed’ had serious consequences as the mobile forces that were sent out to intercept whatever had crossed the Dyle would be scout vehicles and light tanks, which in truth was what Gamelin and his staff expected them to encounter. For the French these light forces meant cavalry units primarily equipped with the Hotchkiss H35, which at least had some armour and a 37mm main gun. For the British the weight would fall on the very tank they had been trying to replace, the Mark VI B Light. Despite best efforts the reequipping of the British tank forces was far from complete in 1940 and the army had little choice but to dispatch a substantial number of them to France. These tanks might have fared reasonably well if Gamelin’s insistence that the Germans forces were simply advance scouts had been accurate, as it was the light tanks were racing to engage six advancing Panzer divisions [2].

One engagement took place just south of the old Napoleonic war battlefield at Wavre when three troops of Mk VI Bs from the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards encountered a pair of Panzer I. Given that both sides were armed only with machine guns it was a decidedly inconclusive skirmish. When the Germans tanks withdrew the Dragoons pursued, with tragic results. The Panzer Is were simply scouting ahead for a full company composed of Panzer II and Panzer 35(t). This time when the Dragoons engaged the losses were catastrophic, only two of eleven British tanks managing to escape. Few other encounters were as disastrous as this one and there were some meaningful results from these engagements. Upon receiving reports of multiple encounters with powerful German formations General Gort, in overall command of the BEF, concluded that the Dyle Plan was a lost cause and that the Allies would have to halt their advance and fall back on the Escault Line, which had previously been discussed under the designation Plan E. This plan had been rejected in favour of Plan D in no small part because it meant sacrificing considerably more Belgian territory to the enemy.

Gort was aware of this and the potential fallout with the Belgian, nonetheless he issued preparatory orders for a general withdrawal to the Escault Line and advised London accordingly. There was shock in Whitehall, but crucially Churchill supported the Commander of the BEF and sent a telegram making it clear that while the preservation of Belgium was important, as was maintaining co-ordination with the French, Gort’s first priority was the preservation of the BEF as a fighting force. Gort then sent General Alan Brooke who had spent much of his youth in France and spoke excellent French, though with a pronounced Gascon accent, to advise Gamelin of his intentions and to make it clear that this was not being offered as a suggestion or a request. Gort was not going to commit his troops any further to a hopeless advance. In this decision Gort almost certainly saved the BEF, for the first time [3].

Similar reports to those that had reached Gort were making their way to Gamelin’s headquarters, but again taking far longer to do so. Even as Gort was drawing his grim conclusion about the Dyle Plan arguments still raged in the French HQ. some officers certainly would have agreed with Gort that they should shift plans to defending along the Escault Line, others resolutely arguing for pressing forward, still believing that the Germans simply couldn’t have advanced in the strength some of the reports suggested so quickly. Somewhere in the middle there was a cadre of officers calling for a temporary halt until the situation could be clarified, all this while an ever increasing flow of dispatches arrived from Paris, confusing matters still further as those from Reynaud and those from the defence ministry offered sharply diverging suggestions and demands. Gamelin was strongly leaning towards the idea of issuing a halt order to regroup his troops. Given the actual situation at the front such an order would have courted disaster as many units were in poor locations to mount a defence if they came under attack from the Panzer spearheads. The issuing of this order was prevented only by the arrival of Alan Brooke, or at least this is the consensus amongst English speaking historians.

Brooke was taken aback by what he saw when he entered Gamelin’s HQ. ‘Instead of a well-organized staff I saw little clusters of officers speaking amongst themselves and ignoring all else going on around them. I noticed a group of dispatch riders, clearly waiting to deliver reports sat on a bench while they were ignored by all around them. No two maps seemed to show the same positions of Allied or German troops, and one showed British troops twenty miles further north than I knew any of our units to be’ [4].

Brooke had to wait for an hour to speak with Gamelin and when he finally did it was not a pleasant conversation. Gamelin explained about the halt order and Brooke made no bones of the fact that this was not in line with British intentions and that the Anglo-French French forces must fall back to the Escault. Plan D had failed, the Germans were clearly across the river in strength and this idea of halting where they were courted disaster. Gamelin initially resisted this suggestion, perhaps not wanting to be seen to be ceding authority to the British. Brooke again made it clear this was not a suggestion, it was Gort’s firm intention backed by the Prime Minister. Faced with this resolute display Gamelin now had grounds to follow the advice of the members of his own staff who had called for a withdrawal, He would issue the orders, but expected the British to conform to his plan for the withdrawal and not to proceed independently. Brooke assured him that the British would be happy to do so. He admitted later however, ‘At this point I felt compelled to offer what reassurance I could even though I knew that Gort had been granted substantially greater leeway in regard to conforming with the French than had been the case before the 10th. I could also not shake the feeling that Gamelin intended to use Gort’s decisions to deflect the inevitable criticism of his new plan by his political superiors.’ [5].

Whatever the circumstances the Allies had at least agreed on a plan. Carrying it out was an altogether different matter.

[1] The British had Alan Brooke and Montgomery in France along with other first-rate Generals. Unfortunately, they also had several who were out of their depth and/or simply not up to the job at hand. Still at least the commanders of the BEF proved able to face reality quickly enough to save themselves from catastrophe IOTL.

[2] OTL Gamelin was ignoring reports of German forces a converging on Sedan and the Meuse, here he is still stubbornly refusing to accept the speed of the Wehrmacht advance. Different situations but Gamelin’s character remains the same. ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves’ as Shakespeare put it and no one has dropped an airplane on Gamelin to change his mind.

[3] Gort was no military genius and would soon enough find himself overtaken in rank and responsibility by Alan Brooke, but he does seem to have been a realist who took some hard decisions OTL. Alan Brooke despite being a distinct Francophile had little good to say about the French High Command.

[4] Not quite what he recorded in his diary OTL but his comments conveyed much the same reaction.

[5] And this is a made-up quote, but it seems to fit with Brooke’s character. This is the man who frequently had to argue Churchill out of terrible ideas after all.

Last edited:
Paul Reynaud absolutely hated Gamelin and really wanted to be rid of him. I don't give the "vieille ganache" more than a few extra days.

Garrison

Donor
Paul Reynaud absolutely hated Gamelin and really wanted to be rid of him. I don't give the "vieille ganache" more than a few extra days.
Gamelin does a have a few things on his side. Given the terrible communication setup Reynaud and the government in Paris are only in possession of the sketchy details provided by a few unhappy officers. Also Reynaaud doesn't seem to have enjoyed huge support in his cabinet whereas Gamelin appears to have had a formidable reputation out of all proportion to his performance. And of course Gamelin has blaming the British to fall back on.