WIP Map Thread

I don't know if you're aware, but there is a limit on the number of images folks can post a day. Not entirely certain, but I'm thinking 3 posts. Maybe? It's meant to keep folks from inundating the thread in a short time. You might want to look into the rules on that.

start of a generic 'what if europe disappeared right before ww1 and the usa got most of it'
Fun map, but why would the US fill the void of a "Virgin Europe," as it were? I think it's much more likely that colonial governments (or at least the very loyal ones) would at least attempt to reclaim their original borders--which, although in terms of a map might be less interesting, would demographically be really interesting in my opinion.

Let me guess:
Pink - Western Rome?
Tan - Byzantine Empire/Latium?
Brown - Sultanate? or a separate Bysantine Egypt.
Pink - That's indeed correct
Tan - Nope, those three are actually Sassanid protectorates which are still de jure Roman duchies
Brown - Yup, Egypt is the closest thing to a Byzantine Empire here

I don't know if you're aware, but there is a limit on the number of images folks can post a day. Not entirely certain, but I'm thinking 3 posts. Maybe? It's meant to keep folks from inundating the thread in a short time. You might want to look into the rules on that.
Three images per day in a single thread by person, a limitation introduced by Ian iirc for the servers.

Fun map, but why would the US fill the void of a "Virgin Europe," as it were? I think it's much more likely that colonial governments (or at least the very loyal ones) would at least attempt to reclaim their original borders--which, although in terms of a map might be less interesting, would demographically be really interesting in my opinion.
my main idea was that good old Teddy decided that having like 2/3s of europe would be a good pr move, and bought most of the claims (minus the UK's) from the remaining governments, and gave up land to some of them, so that the USA could have some experienced allies in europe (especially now that russia has begun resurging) although by the time the us did that, most of germany and iberia were fully americanized, and so they could only give some land back (although i do plan to give germany/mittleafrika the baltics for compensation)

118.png

unknown.png

This started because I was tired of QBAMs showing the portuguese having like the whole of the zambeze and most of mozambique in pre 1900 maps.

So yeah, a WIP reference IRL QBAM map for Mozambique 1860-1914, may add WW1 later. I'm not counting my sources anymore

This started because I was tired of QBAMs showing the portuguese having like the whole of the zambeze and most of mozambique in pre 1900 maps.

So yeah, a WIP reference IRL QBAM map for Mozambique 1860-1914, may add WW1 later. I'm not counting my sources anymore
Oh this has the potential to be one of the most useful bits of ressources I have seen produced for this site. I hope you also manage to find stuff on the Société du Madal, a Norwegian company present in Portuguese East Africa, which I recently found out about but there's not much too find about them (at least based on quick Google searches).

Oh this has the potential to be one of the most useful bits of ressources I have seen produced for this site. I hope you also manage to find stuff on the Société du Madal, a Norwegian company present in Portuguese East Africa, which I recently found out about but there's not much too find about them (at least based on quick Google searches).a
Thanks!
Yeah I know about the Société du Madal, but so far i'm not sure how to represent it, it does have a place on a map since it was a totalizing plantation company (Bertelsen, 2014) but it seemed to have less contiguous and smaller concessions than other Mozambican companies, Bonnet, Théophile in 1914 lists only 4,000 km² of concessions over 15 stations, a 1918 map 19 stations. Also it was technically Monegasque-Norwegian until 1913 or so, doubt that's relevent

Last edited:
Thanks!
Yeah I know about the Société du Madal, but so far i'm not sure how to represent it, it does have a place on a map since it was a totalizing plantation company (Bertelsen, 2014) but it seemed to have less contiguous and smaller concessions than other Mozambican companies, Bonnet, Théophile in 1914 lists only 4,000 km² of concessions over 15 stations, a 1918 map 19 stations. Also it was technically Monegasque-Norwegian until 1913 or so, doubt that's relevent
Are you going to do this for other bits of Africa too?

Are you going to do this for other bits of Africa too?
No, that would be a simply daunting task. I know of several other people who have attempted to map 19th century Africa, an d even on a QBAM-compatible scale it's frankly almost impossible, or ridiculous amount of work, thousands of man hours to do in a satisfying way.

I do feel like I have the sources to do it for 1830-1930 Angola tho, and *maybe* for 1830-1870 Algeria but I don't expect to do it. Maybe angola someday, I don't know, I already tried to map 1840s Angola for a Timeline involvign a Latin-American style 19th century independent luanda but it never got anywhere ( here's a part of it)
unknown.png

Also a simpler reason, Eastern angola, particularly south eastern angola is quite harder to map than Mozambique, which every part of the country have extensive sources on it, you really have to seek obscure sertanejo sources at some point if you want to map parts of it before 1880s, Mozambique due to its geography and also due to larger anglophone interest (I have many portuguese sources but anglophone ones still are the easiest to find) is easier to map

Last edited:
No, that would be a simply daunting task. I know of several other people who have attempted to map 19th century Africa, an d even on a QBAM-compatible scale it's frankly almost impossible, or ridiculous amount of work, thousands of man hours to do in a satisfying way.

I do feel like I have the sources to do it for 1830-1930 Angola tho, and *maybe* for 1830-1870 Algeria but I don't expect to do it. Maybe angola someday, I don't know, I already tried to map 1840s Angola for a Timeline involvign a Latin-American style 19th century independent luanda but it never got anywhere ( here's a part of it)
unknown.png

Also a simpler reason, Eastern angola, particularly south eastern angola is quite harder to map than Mozambique, which every part of the country have extensive sources on it, you really have to seek obscure sertanejo sources at some point if you want to map parts of it before 1880s, Mozambique due to its geography and also due to larger anglophone interest (I have many portuguese sources but anglophone ones still are the easiest to find) is easier to map
Completely understandable. You've done far more with Mozambique alone than I am capable of with any map. Thank you.