The Empire Parnell Built

Ok but why don't they have one, like the no nukes until after Mexico(and it still taking a couple decades) is stretching it(you really seem to not understand how the US treats threats to its stranglehold of the America's outside its ally's) but I mean FFS Syria has a space agency that it started during the civil war they're currently undergoing. There's literally no reason the US TTL shouldn't have one even if it's just two guys in a the back of a truck lighting off toy rockets.
Well The US has no stranglehold on the Americas in this TL. Heck even OTL the Monroe doctrine was really enforced by the RN up till the mid 20th Century.

Well The US has no stranglehold on the Americas in this TL. Heck even OTL the Monroe doctrine was really enforced by the RN up till the mid 20th Century.
Which doesn't make sense with how an isolationist US would develop. The whole theme of US isolationism was "Europe does what it does with wars and leaves us and the America's alone". Nothing about the US makes any real logical sense here. The moment it even whiffed Mexico having a nuke program it should've done whatever it could've to stop it as that's an actual threat to national security, up to and including waging another war against them if needed.

Then there's the whole no space program thing which makes no sense at all. Like I said earlier Syria of all nations started one in 2014 AKA in the middle of the civil war they're currently undergoing.

Which doesn't make sense with how an isolationist US would develop. The whole theme of US isolationism was "Europe does what it does with wars and leaves us and the America's alone". Nothing about the US makes any real logical sense here. The moment it even whiffed Mexico having a nuke program it should've done whatever it could've to stop it as that's an actual threat to national security, up to and including waging another war against them if needed.

Then there's the whole no space program thing which makes no sense at all. Like I said earlier Syria of all nations started one in 2014 AKA in the middle of the civil war they're currently undergoing.
Look, I don't particularly want to get into this because this is clearly something we'll have to agree to disagree on. As @sarahz has observed, the Monro Doctrine was only ever effective in the 19th century if and when the Royal Navy continued to enforce it and that basic situation is continued TTL into the 20th century. Also, it was only the Roosevelt Corollary which asserted the US's rights to make unilateral interventions in other American countries even in the absence of European intervention - before that it was a basically anti-colonial doctrine. As I've discussed before, the US remains TTL much as it was in the OTL 19th century: an enormous economy but one which primarily existed to be a site for European emigration and a capital market for British investment. On the military front, the TTL US armed forces are hardly insignificant but they're much smaller than their OTL equivalent.

To take issue with your insistence about the Mexican nuclear programme and the space programme.

On Mexico, if you're the OTL US you're faced with a neighbour that has just unveiled a nuclear weapon. Your plan is to launch a land invasion of that country? My answer to that is "okay..." but I respectfully submit that there are at least some other reasonable responses to that.

On the space programme, while it's interesting that OTL Syria has developed a space programme in the past decade, I have to say that, while I haven't exactly crunched the numbers, I suspect that more countries have not begun space programmes in that period. Certainly not in the 1960s, which is the time period the questioner was referring to.

Great Britain: 1957 election
GB 1957.PNG

Gotta admit I’m finding it difficult envisioning any United States that wouldn’t move heaven and earth to build nuclear weapons once another major power has them. “Trust” is not the basis for American foreign policy and never has been, even in our isolationist phases.

It would not wait for Mexico to build them when Canada is under the British nuclear umbrella already.

Also, what the hell is going on in Adelaide? Did a large pure platinum-group meteorite strike in the hinterlands up by Peterborough or something?

Gotta admit I’m finding it difficult envisioning any United States that wouldn’t move heaven and earth to build nuclear weapons once another major power has them. “Trust” is not the basis for American foreign policy and never has been, even in our isolationist phases.

It would not wait for Mexico to build them when Canada is under the British nuclear umbrella already.

Also, what the hell is going on in Adelaide? Did a large pure platinum-group meteorite strike in the hinterlands up by Peterborough or something?
It's not the fact Mexico has them that's getting me. It's the fact that A: they didn't basically blockade Mexico(or just declare war on them) into giving up the nukes and B: Still took 20+ years to get their own.

It's not the fact Mexico has them that's getting me. It's the fact that A: they didn't basically blockade Mexico(or just declare war on them) into giving up the nukes and B: Still took 20+ years to get their own.
As I discussed above, I am not interested in continuing discussion about the US-Mexico nuclear issue. But on the point specifically raised here, suffice it to say that the US Navy TTL was not capable of organising a full blockade of Mexico in the 1970s.

The presence of the British space industry in South Australia is a hint. It basically becomes the TTL equivalent of the Bay Area...

As I discussed above, I am not interested in continuing discussion about the US-Mexico nuclear issue. But on the point specifically raised here, suffice it to say that the US Navy TTL was not capable of organising a full blockade of Mexico in the 1970s.
I agree completely that the US would not declare war on Mexico or anyone else for developing nuclear weapons.

I am just saying I don’t find it plausible that they waited until several other major powers all had them for decades before starting a crash development program.

Was the US formally allied with Britain such that they were under their nuclear umbrella?

Last edited:
What explains the particularly gaping chasm between Egypt’s paper exchange rate and PPP calculations?
So part of this is a function of OTL differences between nominal and PPP GDP. Egypt is a pretty important manufacturing country and so has a large amount of unskilled labour, which causes real wages to be low; low real wages cause the prices of non-tradeables to be low; low prices of non-tradeables reduce the overall price level compared with the pound. The reason the PPP per capita is so high is because of good ol' inequality.