French New York: More like Quebec or New Orléans

To explain the title, I was asked what if France had decided to capitalize on Verrazzano's expedition and ACTUALLY bother about their American colonies, would the Big Apple (called Nouvelle Angoulême here, obviously) have turned out more like OTL Quebec or New Orléans? Or would it somehow have looked similar OTL, simply with French names (La Reine for Queens, Manhattan according to Verrazzano's names would've been St-Marguerite)?

@Gabingston @Vinization @PGSBHurricane @legumes @Unknown @any others

Why would they be interested in their Canadian/NA colonies?

I think if they were, then the economy could be pretty centralized on different things. OTL, the economic development of New France was marked by the emergence of successive economies based on staple commodities, each of which dictated the political and cultural settings of the time (according to wikipedia). E.g. on fishing. I do think we'd all be speaking fluent French now (which would help A LOT for my tests in school fml) but I don't think they'd do the fur trade thing. There just wasn't enough fur

Why would they be interested in their Canadian/NA colonies?

I think if they were, then the economy could be pretty centralized on different things. OTL, the economic development of New France was marked by the emergence of successive economies based on staple commodities, each of which dictated the political and cultural settings of the time (according to wikipedia). E.g. on fishing. I do think we'd all be speaking fluent French now (which would help A LOT for my tests in school fml) but I don't think they'd do the fur trade thing. There just wasn't enough fur
There was the myth of Norembega's gold that could spur French interest originally. Then, by the time the French realize Norembega's nowhere to be found, they have a "reasonable sized" settlement. Then it might provide a useful settlement/dumping ground for Huguenots to be encouraged to emigrate to. Fast forward to 1700 France has a sort of "city across the sea".

@Arkenfolm @Cornelis

There was the myth of Norembega's gold that could spur French interest originally. Then, by the time the French realize Norembega's nowhere to be found, they have a "reasonable sized" settlement. Then it might provide a useful settlement/dumping ground for Huguenots to be encouraged to emigrate to. Fast forward to 1700 France has a sort of "city across the sea".

@Arkenfolm @Cornelis
Interesting, I wonder what happens once they have this city across the sea. Is this going to be where they dump all their "undesirables"?

Deleted member 147978

The French are more interested in trading with the Natives rather actually crafting settler colonies like the British did in North America.

I doubt Nouvelle Angoulême wouldn't be that populated for a French settler colony than like OTL NYC.

The French are more interested in trading with the Natives rather actually crafting settler colonies like the British did in North America.

I doubt Nouvelle Angoulême wouldn't be that populated for a French settler colony than like OTL NYC.
You don't need many migrants to have a self-sustaining and rapidly growing colony as Quebec shows.

Given that both the French and Dutch were more interested in trade than actual settlement, I think French New York plays out like New Amsterdam did before 1664.

Given that both the French and Dutch were more interested in trade than actual settlement, I think French New York plays out like New Amsterdam did before 1664.
Quebec was settled though... eventually the French population will start becoming too large through internal growth and will spread outwards

Quebec was settled though... eventually the French population will start becoming too large through internal growth and will spread outwards
New Amsterdam was also settled. Granted it was basically Manhattan but the Dutch had more settlements throughout the region. I predict the same would happen with the French.

That France is (for some reason) as interested in its North American/Canadian colonies as it was in its colonies in the West Indies. Think it was @unprincipled peter who pointed out that at the time Louisiana/Quebec were traded away, their population was actually doubling each generation.
Quebec/Canada was roughly doubling every generation primarily through natural growth as it was a healthy environment.

Louisiana, on the other hand, was not all that healthy, and was struggling to increase in population. The economy was primarily plantation, and a steady influx of immigrants, including slaves, was needed to maintain/increase population. Much of the French (Cajun) population actually came after the French period, with the influx of Acadians into the New Orleans region, and migration from Canada into St Louis. The "French Quarter" of New Orleans was built during the Spanish period after the original burnt down. And much of the population at the time of the US takeover was a result of relaxed trade restrictions during the Spanish period and the resultant immigration. New Orleans is known as a "French" city, but in reality is much more of a polyglot USAmerican city.

If we assume France settles New York, do we also assume that they ally with the Iroquois? If they do, NY has a very healthy environment, and will be the French center of the fur trade. You likely see similar immigration/colonial policies as in OTL Quebec, even though the climate is much more attractive. The heart of the Iroquois is upstate, while the heart of French population will be downstate in the NYC area, meaning the French won't be constantly wiped out as they were in Montreal/Quebec in the early going. Therefore, the French population gets a head start.

IF the rest of history goes as OTL and New France is lost similarly, I'd see NY as more like Quebec. We're positing a pretty major POD, though.

Quebec/Canada was roughly doubling every generation primarily through natural growth as it was a healthy environment.

Louisiana, on the other hand, was not all that healthy, and was struggling to increase in population. The economy was primarily plantation, and a steady influx of immigrants, including slaves, was needed to maintain/increase population. Much of the French (Cajun) population actually came after the French period, with the influx of Acadians into the New Orleans region, and migration from Canada into St Louis. The "French Quarter" of New Orleans was built during the Spanish period after the original burnt down. And much of the population at the time of the US takeover was a result of relaxed trade restrictions during the Spanish period and the resultant immigration. New Orleans is known as a "French" city, but in reality is much more of a polyglot USAmerican city.

If we assume France settles New York, do we also assume that they ally with the Iroquois? If they do, NY has a very healthy environment, and will be the French center of the fur trade. You likely see similar immigration/colonial policies as in OTL Quebec, even though the climate is much more attractive. The heart of the Iroquois is upstate, while the heart of French population will be downstate in the NYC area, meaning the French won't be constantly wiped out as they were in Montreal/Quebec in the early going. Therefore, the French population gets a head start.

IF the rest of history goes as OTL and New France is lost similarly, I'd see NY as more like Quebec. We're positing a pretty major POD, though.
I mean, yeah. NY as Quebec is interesting. I wonder though why would France ally with the Iroquois?

I mean, yeah. NY as Quebec is interesting. I wonder though why would France ally with the Iroquois?
Because the Iroquois are the predominant native power in the NY region. If you're looking to stay alive and to trade, you make friends with a native power.

IF France settles both Quebec AND NY, it'll be a tricky balancing act between the northern tribes and the Iroquois. I suppose the northern can be the preferred choice, and without the Dutch/English supplying the Iroquois with guns (or with access being more limited), the Beaver Wars go much differently, with the I on the losing end.

Gabingston

Kicked
I think a French New York would be more like Quebec than Louisiana, simply due to the climate being much better for European settlement.