The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

There's an official mod in the github for the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial election, of all things. I won 50-49 as Abrams by running a moderate campaign and sidestepping national issues.

There's an official mod in the github for the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial election, of all things. I won 50-49 as Abrams by running a moderate campaign and sidestepping national issues.
Hey, I made that one. I wanted to try out the idea of having a mod for a statewide election that some people were throwing around

The mods loading is a great feature. I tried the 1980 scenario as Carter/ Mondale. Its heavily luck dependent, and I got good luck on the hostage rescue mission, but bad luck on the debates. Carter lost, but the nationwide popular vote margin was 8% instead of the IOTL 10%, so Carter carried several more states.

Even with the new mods, I'm always drawn back to the original campaigns when I want to kill some time. Here's a bizarro-2000, where I went all in on Florida as Gore (even picked Graham for VP) and won it along with the presidency, but lost the popular vote along with NM, IA and OR (with OR being the closest state overall). I only barely won Wisconsin too, I wonder how recounts in two razor thin states would have played out?
bizarro2k.png

Ran as Truman against Dewey, screwing up when I had Dewey suggesting turning over nuclear weapons to the United Nations.

Dewey won in the electoral college anyway. But Truman defeated Dewey in the nationwide popular vote by a 4% margin, larger than his historical margin. It was the worst popular vote/ electoral vote reversal that I have seen in the game yet. Mode was normal:

Just ran as Dukakis on the new "cakewalk" level.... Only lost 1 state Utah (by 6.35%). The pop vote was 57.5% to 41.7%. The closest state was the Dukakis win in Idaho (0.03%) 4,274 pop votes. Overall it was 533 electoral votes to 5 electoral votes
1627341607699.png

Won with Rockefeller against LBJ on normal, unfortunately this was some hours ago and I deleted the tab so i dont have any stats on the percentages and so on
election.png

Last edited:
the last one
Trump victory against Biden/Harris on normal. It seems to be the same as 2016 except Michigan voted Democratic
election 3.png

Last edited:

Vince

Monthly Donor
This is about the best I can do with Mondale. Much better than OTL. Move 1% more and I would've taken WV, TN, ME, AK and CA putting me at 259 votes.
Mondale.png

The above Mondale 1984 result is a good result. Its better than the OTL 1988 Dukakis result, both in the popular vote and electoral votes.

Its the game system, but I don't think a New Deal Democrat in the 1980s who got within 2% of winning the nationwide popular vote was going to lose West Virginia. I could buy Mondale with that nationwide popular vote percentage carrying West Virginia but losing Maryland, which Dukakis lost narrowly with a slightly lower nationwide popular vote percentage.

My guess this is a Reagan does badly in the second debate result.

There are some very biased or broken decisions in the 1980 scenario. When playing Carter on Disaster difficulty, changing VP to Kennedy and choosing the most self defeating responses possible, I still end up getting 150 votes compared to the historical 49, carrying New York and huge swathes of the South, comfortably. I’ve chased it down to the Mount St Helens eruption, which causes a uniform +11 jump across the country. A bit much, really.

This is with no debates, no Desert One and choosing the silliest options available for a self sabotage.

Edit: The same responses and choices at the second highest difficulty given a 535-3 sweep for Reagan.

Last edited:
Just ran an instance of the 1972 Campaign with McGovern and Askew, and somehow managed to get extremely lucky and win the RNG lottery for all but one question, the initial Watergate reporting where Nixon received a weak malus instead of a big one. Unfortunately it only pushed me up to around the (43.2%) vote mark compared to Nixon's (55.0%), and (120) Electoral votes by managing to nab Pennsylvania and New York among others. Barring a smarter play for California though, I'm not sure how you can attain a higher count in either case.

I tried doing McGovern/ Askew just now, but the site is not responding.

Someone posted earlier that the way to win as Clay is to come out in favor of annexation of Texas on the second question, but not the first. I have no idea what the reasoning is to make this the case. But I just had the most success playing Clay as normal, carrying 14 of the 15 states Clay has any chance of carrying (the miss was Indiana), by not addressing the issue at all on the first question, and then coming out in favor of annexation, and keeping close to the Democratic line on annexation, slavery, and immigration, while attacking Birney for splitting the vote. I mention the attack on Birney, because I assume without it, with this platform, Birney will draw enough votes to cost Clay New York and Pennsylvania.