History Discussion: "You blew it! You had one job, and you blew it!" Moments in history

Allan Donald not running on the last ball of the 1999 cricket world cup semi-final against Australia?
My one: Chetan Sharma in last ball of 1986 Cricket Australasia Cup trying to give yorker to Javed Miyandad insted of bowling a regular ball..

"The horse would make a FINE burnt offering!" <Brings torch as night falls>
"What is that screaming?"
"Spirits of the dead..."
Welp, you won't be killed by the Greeks. What Poseidon, who sent sea serpents after the last guy who objected to bringing the horse in, is going to do to you is an entire other matter...

Italy joining WW2. Even an Axis victory would in the end suck for the Italian fascist - you dream of the Roman Empire, but beyond the Alpes someone dreams of Germanic hordes that destroyed the Roman Empire.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
Italy joining WW2. Even an Axis victory would in the end suck for the Italian fascist - you dream of the Roman Empire, but beyond the Alpes someone dreams of Germanic hordes that destroyed the Roman Empire.
All the Germans gangsta until an Italian boy named Mario is born in the town of Arpino.

Gavrilo Princip: You don't want to assassinate Franz Ferdinand. You want to go home and rethink your life. Please, spend some time rethinking your life.

Last edited:
Where do I start? First you provoke a war with the Zulus for no good reason. Then you camp at Islandwana and don't dig any trenches, set up any barbed wire or circle the wagons, even though the Boers gave you good advice about that. You then go off with half the army looking for non existent Zulus and the other half of your army gets wiped out and all the supplies get stolen or trashed.
Technically it was Fere who provoked the Zulus.

And to be fair, he was more worried they'd do a runner and deny him any combat, vs a all out attack.

That said, you forgot leaving ambiguous instructions for his officers, and being fairly out of contact, and then when you start getting messages along the lines of "For God's sake come back, the camp is surrounded, and things I fear are going badly", and not returning until way later....

Anyway, my contribution-

Woodrow Wilson-Paris 1919

Just like..... everything. Maybe listen to the waiter who has some interesting ideas? Maybe not shaft the Japanese to appease California, and then to make up for it, sell China down the river? Hell, make it a bipartisan mission rather then you loading it with Democrats and acting surprised when the Senate, who ratify treaties, IE, something you should've known, and possessing a slender Republican majority, holds a bit of a grudge over your decision.

Francis I of France not scoring a decisive victory immediately during his invasion of Lombardy in 1524, even though he had an enormous numerical advantage. He instead wasted several months besieging Pavia while the Habsburg troops reorganized themselves for a counterattack, which ended with him being captured. Also, during the battle in question Francis led a cavalry charge right in front of his artillery, forcing them to hold their fire and negating one of the only strengths he had left at that point.

To unnamed arts teacher in Vienna:

That teen who is not good at drawing portraits of people does a good job of painting statics like buildings and flower vases. Don't disparage him for his talents not being in "up with the times".

Or he will start a world war, so could you please do us a favor and defuse that bomb?

Seriously folks, shouldn't we stick to pre-1900 PODs ?
Nah, Hitler had terrible paintings, the shading was horrendous

Francis I of France not scoring a decisive victory immediately during his invasion of Lombardy in 1524, even though he had an enormous numerical advantage. He instead wasted several months besieging Pavia while the Habsburg troops reorganized themselves for a counterattack, which ended with him being captured. Also, during the battle in question Francis led a cavalry charge right in front of his artillery, forcing them to hold their fire and negating one of the only strengths he had left at that point.
I feel like we can make a whole separate thread of just guys who made bad decisions during the Italian Wars.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
This is what being a pampered ass does to your brain.