Q: Would the CP have considered an eventual attempt of invasion of the UK if France would have quickly fallen in 1914?

If France would have quickly fallen by the end of 1914, would the CP have considered to launch an invasion of the UK, or would this have been too far fetched for them?

I am not saying this would succeed, just tried.

Why to invade, when you can deliver weapons to the Irish and Irishmen are going to do the fighting for you. The invasion of UK is not going to be a large scale thing, there is no need, but German troops on Ireland are always a possibility.

If France is knocked out so completely that the Germans can even begin to consider invading Britain, the war is over - the British and Russians are going to recognize the truth and seek terms. The British get off scot-free, while the Russians have to throw the Serbs under the bus, but that's a small price.

The German navy in 1914 was no match for the Royal Navy, so no. There would be an armistice though with brutal terms for France

If France were knocked out by the end of 1914, I don't see the UK as having any interest in prolonging the conflict.... even if they did, out of perceived obligations to Russia (of which there really were none) or what-have-you, I don't think a Seelowe-style invasion would really be in the cards....

If the Germans get some 1940 style armistice with France where they get the Biscay ports, then a standard naval commerce war is probably the best bet for Germany. Prizes can be brought there and blockade runners launched from there.

Meantime Germany focuses on taking the Ukraine west of the Dnieper to secure grain and to pressure Russia.

Britain can put up a big army and has a bunch of pre dreadnoughts extra for channel work and still has naval superiority so not sure if invasion works other than the threat of one tying down the British.

I doubt it. They’d probably want a peace settlement. The British would probably agree to it if France was defeated. I don’t even think they’d be able to successfully invade the British isles.

Last edited:
The only way Germany would consider an invasion of the UK would be if they had already somehow had a smashing victory over the RN, reducing the fleet disparity to at least 50/50. This is... not impossible, but would require luck for the Germans and intense bungling for the British.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Assuming there is no great swing against British naval superiority: considered, yes; attempted, no. No harm in having your planners look at an impossible task, especially if you leak the news to the world's press.

Personally I believe that the British would have tried to at least feel out peace. With France as defeated in 1914 as they would be in 1940, there's really no sense prolonging the whole confrontation.

Garrison

Donor
Why to invade, when you can deliver weapons to the Irish and Irishmen are going to do the fighting for you. The invasion of UK is not going to be a large scale thing, there is no need, but German troops on Ireland are always a possibility.
I think you grossly overestimate the strength of the revolutionary movement in Ireland and I think you are also overestimating the ability of the Germans to deliver arms.

In a 1914 victory over France what fraction of the French navy, is captured by/surrendered to Germany, flees to the UK, is scuttled, and remains in French hands?

I still don't think an invasion is going to happen, with France out Germany soon turns on Russia and things will not go well for the Tsar, and this thing might actually be over by Christmas. But it does bring up an interesting question on post war naval standing.

The only way Germany would consider an invasion of the UK would be if they had already somehow had a smashing victory over the RN, reducing the fleet disparity to at least 50/50. This is... not impossible, but would require luck for the Germans and intense bungling for the British.

In which case they could starve Britain out by blockade.

IOW, if they were in a position to attempt an invasion of GB they would not need to do it.

First Lord of the Admiralty Lord St. Vincent is said to have told the House of Lords: "I do not say the French cannot come, I only say they cannot come by sea".

I think you grossly overestimate the strength of the revolutionary movement in Ireland and I think you are also overestimating the ability of the Germans to deliver arms.
My statements were generalizations and supporting Irish is more probable than any kind of invasion.

I may grossly overestimate the strength of revolutionary movement, but it is enough if the Irish are a problem for the British, every British soldier away from Mesopotamia or another battlefield or as a war casualty is a nice bonus for the Central Powers in the case that British are still in war.

The German ability to deliver arms is a completely separate issue, much depends on the peace agreement with the French. Which French ports will be made available for the Germans, etc.? It is clear that smuggling cannot be compared to the situation of OTL, because the previous traffic, which has passed through neutral countries, may in changed circumstances also pass through France.

Garrison

Donor
My statements were generalizations and supporting Irish is more probable than any kind of invasion.

I may grossly overestimate the strength of revolutionary movement, but it is enough if the Irish are a problem for the British, every British soldier away from Mesopotamia or another battlefield or as a war casualty is a nice bonus for the Central Powers in the case that British are still in war.

The German ability to deliver arms is a completely separate issue, much depends on the peace agreement with the French. Which French ports will be made available for the Germans, etc.? It is clear that smuggling cannot be compared to the situation of OTL, because the previous traffic, which has passed through neutral countries, may in changed circumstances also pass through France.
The Easter uprising received little support from the general population. It was only after the British executed the ringleaders that it became a rallying point. if they are actively working with the Germans that's a different matter. It should also be pointed that the Irish Catholics Divisions serving in the Army did not exactly rise up in protest or mutiny after the Easter Uprising. The British control the Irish ports, smuggling a few fishing trawlers worth of small arms but you aren't going to ship arms en masse. Also there are plenty of Loyalists the British would be only too happy to arm them. But this is all based off a two sentence OP that offered zero details of how this came about. There's no POD no details, so there's no way to construct any reasonable scenario.