What If Jerry Brown in 76?

I would think Brown would put Patricia Roberts Harris at HEW & maybe put Andrew Young in some cabinet or Ambassadorship role. You know the Congressional Black Caucus would be hounding Brown on no diversity in the Cabinet.
Your right so maybe Young could get Ambassadorship to England or something. Also I didn't really know too much about her and I was just picking folks at random.

3 pages and not one mention of Governor Moonbeam or his spiritual advisor/campaign manager Jaques Barzaghi?

In 1976 you're looking at the culture wars intensifying and likely a Barzaghi related scandal showing up. Man had both sexual harassment and undeclared income issues when working for Brown when he was mayor of Oakland

If he gets in as Chief of Staff or Special Adviser to the President he won't be able to contain himself.
Brown wasn't moonbeam yet in 1976 and he had a different campaign manager in 1976.

Would Brown live in the White House? How would he handle diplomatic relations with South Africa, Taiwan, Republic of Korea, Japan, Philippines?
He would most likely be forced to live at the White House. Also Muskie would most likely handle diplomatic relations.

President: Jerry Brown
VP: Mike Gravel
Sec State: Ed Muskie
Treasury: Russel B Long
Defense: Mike Mansfield
Att Gen: Frank Church
Interior: Eugene McCarthy
Agriculture: Jimmy Carter
Commerce: Milton Sapp
Labour: Walter Mondale
Welfare: Abraham Ribicoff
Health: Hubert Humphrey
Housing: George McGovern
Transport: Jennings Randolph
Energy: Fred Harris
Education: Terry Sanford
Budget: Reubin Askew
Trade: Wilbur Ross
UN: Ted Kennedy
Security: Daniel James Jr
Welp no Ted Kennedy healthcare bill :openedeyewink: also how would Mike Gravel do as Vice President?

dcharles

Banned
A 1976 Jerry Brown/Mike Gravel ticket would go down like Frazier.

Why on earth would Jerry Brown or anyone else pick Mike Gravel--an eccentric Senator from the most eccentric state--as VP?

What does he bring to the table? What additional constituencies does he pull in? How does Gravel help get Brown votes that he wouldn't ordinarily get?

A 1976 Jerry Brown/Mike Gravel ticket would go down like Frazier.

Why on earth would Jerry Brown or anyone else pick Mike Gravel--an eccentric Senator from the most eccentric state--as VP?

What does he bring to the table? What additional constituencies does he pull in? How does Gravel help get Brown votes that he wouldn't ordinarily get?
It was an idea also he is a Senator and has been since 1969 which is what Brown would need from being Governor for one year but he could pick Adlai Stevenson III.

Brown wasn't moonbeam yet in 1976 and he had a different campaign manager in 1976.
Barzaghi was already in his circle though since about 1968.
And the same mindset that got him called Moonbeam in 79,is still present here.
Maybe this time a different moniker in a different time but he's still the same person.

President: Jerry Brown
VP: Mike Gravel
Sec State: Ed Muskie
Treasury: Russel B Long
Defense: Mike Mansfield
Att Gen: Frank Church
Interior: Eugene McCarthy
Agriculture: Jimmy Carter
Commerce: Milton Sapp
Labour: Walter Mondale
Welfare: Abraham Ribicoff
Health: Hubert Humphrey
Housing: George McGovern
Transport: Jennings Randolph
Energy: Fred Harris
Education: Terry Sanford
Budget: Reubin Askew
Trade: Wilbur Ross
UN: Ted Kennedy
Security: Daniel James Jr
Way too many incumbent officeholders here. Having this confirmed would lead to 10 vacancies in the Senate.

Who could replace who?
Interesting thought about Jerry's VP: according to Wikipedia, Louisiana was the only Southern state not to go for Carter or Wallace thanks to then-governor Edwin Edwards supporting Jerry Brown. Conventional Democratic wisdom always prefers a North/South "balanced" ticket, so maybe Brown/Edwards? Will this cause scandals?
George Ball at state perhaps? Carter thought he was too liberal to be confirmed.
Also Jerry was quite the deficit hawk, even more than Reagan (arguably), so Paul Volcker at Treasury could happen.

Interesting thought about Jerry's VP: according to Wikipedia, Louisiana was the only Southern state not to go for Carter or Wallace thanks to then-governor Edwin Edwards supporting Jerry Brown. Conventional Democratic wisdom always prefers a North/South "balanced" ticket, so maybe Brown/Edwards? Will this cause scandals?
George Ball at state perhaps? Carter thought he was too liberal to be confirmed.
Also Jerry was quite the deficit hawk, even more than Reagan (arguably), so Paul Volcker at Treasury could happen.
Brown would need a Senator so hence I choose Mike Gravel and or Adlai Stevenson for VP. Could Edwards get a cabinet spot?

I would strongly prefer Edwards staying as LA Governor.

I think Brown would want more of an institutionalist as VP over Gravel. Muskie could be the pick, if the electorate isn’t tired of him by 76. I think Tip O’Neill would also be a solid choice, if he wanted the job

He’s pretty young at this point and I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the Stevenson name would be forever tarnished
If I recall Stevenson just got to the United States Senate in 1970 special election & won full term in 1974 plus IL elected Big Jim Thompson (R) as their Governor in a landslide in 1976, so I don't think the Dems would want to risk losing a US Senate seat.

If I recall Stevenson just got to the United States Senate in 1970 special election & won full term in 1974 plus IL elected Big Jim Thompson (R) as their Governor in a landslide in 1976, so I don't think the Dems would want to risk losing a US Senate seat.
Any other picks perhaps Mo Udall maybe?

I meant for Vice President but Brooke as an ambassador is cool.
On the inauguration, would Brown have an Inaugural Ball & would he get out of the Presidential limo & walk all the way to the White House?

Some details on what the Inauguration on the East Front in 1977 (it was moved to the West Front in 1981 during Reagan's) could look like:
1.) Brown might deliver an 8-minute inaugural address
2.) Would he wear a formal inaugural attire or a business suit?
3.) Will Linda Ronstadt hold the Brown family Bible as Brown is sworn in?
4.) Inaugural lunch after the ceremony and will he send the Ford's & Rockefeller's off as they walk down the West Front toward Marine One?
14159373.jpg