Which Italian Nation you would’ve wanted to unite a portion of Italy

Which Italian State would you would’ve wanted to unite a good portion of Italy?

• Republic of Genoa

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Republic of Venice

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • Republic of Florence/Grand Duchy of Tuscany

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • Duchy of Reggio and Modena/Duchy of Ferrara

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Papal States

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • Duchy of Milan

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • Kingdom of Sicily

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Kingdom of Naples

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Kingdom of Two Sicilies

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • San Marino

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • Other (Write down below)

Votes: 10 5.1%

• Total voters
In OTL, Italy was divided into many City-States, Duchies and Kingdoms. From the Medieval times, to the Renaissance, and to the 19th century, there were many famous nations, such as Venice, Genoa, and Tuscany and etc. Eventually, all of it was United during the 19th century under the Kingdom of Sardinia.

If you had to choose one nation, no matter their size or power, you wanted to unite a good portion of Italy, with any POD from the Renaissance to the 19th century, which one?

Sidenote: Obviously excluding Savoy/Sardinia since they united Italy IOTL. Also avoiding foreign nations, such as the HRE Kingdom of Italy or the the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy.

Also, some of these option are meant to be Jokes and meant for fun, while other would need a bit of wanking to become bigger

Some Major choices for Italian-States to choose from are:
  • Republic of Genoa
  • Republic of Venice
  • Republic of Florence/Grand Duchy of Tuscany
  • Duchy of Reggio and Modena/Duchy of Ferrara
  • Papal States
  • Duchy of Parma
  • Duchy of Milan
  • Kingdom of Two Sicilies
  • Kingdom of Naples
  • Kingdom of Sicily
  • San Marino
  • Other

The Pope uniting Italy is fun as a meme, but in reality would’ve been a theocratic nightmare. Bear in mind that even within the OTL Papal States the government was a tyrannical and oppressive thing, such as the infamous time it paved over half of the old town of Perugia to build a fortress to secure its own domination of Umbria.

My vote goes to Milan, as Gian Galeazzo succeeding could have led to a unified Italy far earlier and given it much greater strength on the world stage in the long run.

Voted Milan, they were the closest during the Renaissance and could have avoided centuries of foreign domination (Spain, France and Austria).

Ideally, a Milanese Kingdom of Italy would only unite Northern and Central Italy, with an Independant Kingdom of the Two-Sicilies (or equivalent) owning the South.

The Pope can go suck a lemon and temporal control of the Vatican IOTL is already too much in my opinion. A religious leader has no business buying a head of state.

Last edited:
Of all those mentioned, Milan under Gian Galeazzo Visconti and Naples under Ladislao di Durazzo were the only two states that had the intention and/or the capabilities to unite (most of) the peninsula. I would vote for Milan, but it would be interesting to see how a Naples-led Italy would turn out

I'd loved to be a citizen of Lombardy - meant to be the continuation of Lombards' kindgom... silly Pope messing around since 700s

Voted Duchy of Milan since they were the closest to attain such objective

Last edited:
A Venetian Republic that successfully incorporates Ambrosian Republic could have a chance (POD: Sforza dying before he can secure Pavia).

While I voted for the Kingdom of Naples, I thought it would be more possible if either Ladislaus I or Joanna II married a member of a prominent Florentine/Tuscan merchant (as long as ennobled) family.

Last edited:
Confederation of equals or bust - whether it's born out of the Lombard League of the late Middle Ages, of the Italic League of the Renaissance, or out of the revolutions of 1848. That said, Milan looks like the most plausible option, if only because the Visconti got close to unifying northern Italy in OTL, but a luckier Matilda of Tuscany might've been able to unify most of Italy as early as the 11th century.

If any country founded/ruled by foreigners
are out then most of the listed ones are.
Okay, maybe should’ve been more specific. I meant foreign nations that rule from another country, and not in the Italian State. So things like Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy isn’t an option, since Napoleon ruled from France, but something like the Bourbon Kings of Two Sicilies or Murat’s Naples, since they rules in their country, is acceptable