E Boats for Sealion

Garrison

Donor
So the Germans need to unroll bobbin rolls of something like Marston Matting to create causeways for their tanks to cross the shingle beaches and then they have to find the few one lane roads crossing the bog ground they run across? Then they need something like Sherman hedgerow cutters to get through the British version of the Bocage. They need faster barges or a lot of Olympic athlete swimmers and they need to find 60,000 tonnes of hay for their horse drawn army? What else have I missed? Counterbattery radar or its 1940 equivalent?
Anything resembling proper artillery to suppress defenders behind the beaches, given the Luftwaffe is trying to interdict the RAF and the Royal Navy while they are trying to land.

So the Germans need to unroll bobbin rolls of something like Marston Matting to create causeways for their tanks to cross the shingle beaches and then they have to find the few one lane roads crossing the bog ground they run across? Then they need something like Sherman hedgerow cutters to get through the British version of the Bocage. They need faster barges or a lot of Olympic athlete swimmers and they need to find 60,000 tonnes of hay for their horse drawn army? What else have I missed? Counterbattery radar or its 1940 equivalent?
Crew to man the requisitioned tugs/fishing boats/barges.
Someone who understands what happens in the bottom of a fuel tank that's sat level all it's life and is suddenly shaken all about.

Fodder for the horses could be a problem. Britain motorised it's Army for two reasons.

1 better mobility and flexibility.

2 horses were disappearing from daily life and it became difficult to find the kind of horses an army needed. Big cart or plough horses were too big and slow the army wanted what was called a light van horse. The sort used by horse drawn taxis and delivery vehicles. The sort of job taken by autos that Britain had in large numbers. The numbers of commercial vehicles to thousands of population was only exceeded by the USA.

Last edited:
the shortest route I have seen is a dog leg from Calais to just west of Rye app 50 miles so at 3 knots about 16 hours and the plan was to beach at or shortly after high tide one has to deal with two rising tides and one ebb.O joy.

Fodder for the horses could be a problem. Britain motorised it's Army for two reasons.

1 better mobility and flexibility.

2 horses were disappearing from daily life and it became difficult to find the kind of horses an army needed. Big cart or plough horses were too big and slow the army wanted what was called a light van horse. The sort used by horse drawn taxis and delivery vehicles. The sort of job taken by autos that Britain had in large numbers. The numbers of commercial vehicles to thousands of population was only exceeded by the USA.
And let us not forget the UK is NOT France, the Germans will NOT be pulling up to a gas station and pumping fuel into their panzers. The invaders will not get their hands on any booty: fuel, food, fodder, vehicles, horses; anything of value will be removed or destroyed.

cardcarrier

Banned
And let us not forget the UK is NOT France, the Germans will NOT be pulling up to a gas station and pumping fuel into their panzers. The invaders will not get their hands on any booty: fuel, food, fodder, vehicles, horses; anything of value will be removed or destroyed.
now here i would disagree; even though I vigorously reject sealion even being able to leave port before being pancaked by the Royal navy up to and including ships steaming into the french harbors at point blank actions

every British action in the first half of the war involved them leaving tons of booty to the enemy, I wouldn't be so quick to assume they would go all Alberich on their own territory any more than France was willing to go on theirs; keeping in mind that even legitimate psychotic nazi bootlickers like Speer and Guderian didn't go Alberich on their own territories, hell even the Russians didn't do it that much

I find it staggerong that someone can suggest that a ramshackle armada moving at 1.5 knots across a warzone contested by a quantitavely and qualitatively superior enemy can arrive at its destination in good order. Ridiculous beyond words.
The experts of Sandhurst wargame believed they could get ashore. It's the following waves, no.

The ridiculous part was how the plan would play out? Loading was to take start a S -5days. Assembly off coast at 1700 S-1 days. Landings start at 0500 at low tide at first light.

The columns to arrive up side of coast and run parallel to coast to beaches (an old navigation trick). The best bit, like Napoleonic cavalry, wheel in threes, from column to line. Form a line and assault.

LW was to aerial mine the channels around Isle of Wright, to lock in RN there. No mention of persistence of this, and time for minesweepers to breach.

With regard to the landing itself, I remain to be convinced that a Panzer III could run up southern English beaches without suffering track damage.

Yet, the bulldozer has fine shingle in its tracks and still going. Yet, the bulldozer manages to push a load of shingle, and against that resistance, increase shear and effective ground pressure. the shingle is staying put.

And BTW, what is the ground pressure of the wheeled vehicle?

Garrison

Donor
now here i would disagree; even though I vigorously reject sealion even being able to leave port before being pancaked by the Royal navy up to and including ships steaming into the french harbors at point blank actions

every British action in the first half of the war involved them leaving tons of booty to the enemy, I wouldn't be so quick to assume they would go all Alberich on their own territory any more than France was willing to go on theirs; keeping in mind that even legitimate psychotic nazi bootlickers like Speer and Guderian didn't go Alberich on their own territories, hell even the Russians didn't do it that much
Which just shows you know little of British planning. They had months to work to make sure that nothing would be left for the invaders. French morale collapsed to fast for them to take any meaningful action. This wouldn't be full blown scorched earth just the destruction of strategic items that would aid the invader, so things like petrol supplies, which were already being closely monitored and controlled.

The Sandhurst experts deliberately allowed the first wave to get ashore because they were running an Army exercise, and if no Invasion forces got ashore, there wasn't much point to running the damn thing.
True,
But there again Norway was impossible and Britain was supposed to be prepared for the Channel dash.

Fleet E was probably to be diverted east, and KM didn't want as the biggest blood bath. Worse not tanks in that group.

Which just shows you know little of British planning. They had months to work to make sure that nothing would be left for the invaders. French morale collapsed to fast for them to take any meaningful action. This wouldn't be full blown scorched earth just the destruction of strategic items that would aid the invader, so things like petrol supplies, which were already being closely monitored and controlled.
Every book I've ever read on Sealion mentions that the UK had every intention of making sure the Germans, assuming they successfully got men ashore, would be unable to forage for any supplies.

David Flin

Gone Fishin'
The experts of Sandhurst wargame believed they could get ashore. It's the following waves, no.

It's been mentioned before. The experts at Sandhurst, an Army Staff College, adjusted the starting preconditions precisely to enable the first wave to get ashore in a reasonably coherent fashion. That was to enable them to carry out a game in which the Army had something to do.

Having been involved in a peripheral manner with the subsequent reruns of the exercise, I can confirm that the experts at Sandhurst accepted that the starting conditions were unrealistic, but that without them, there's not much that can be learned.

You are comparing individual Channel swimmers to massive numbers of barges being towed? Ignoring the fact that the swimmers only set out in perfect weather for one thing.

There's also the mild issue that Channel swimmers tend to at most be carrying ya know swim suits or wet suits. Not rifles, rations, gas masks, haversacks, howizters and the odd Panzer.

Some of us think history is important and don't like to see its study cheapened and distorted with reality free Nazi wanks. I blame the History Channel to a large extent.
This is old but someone asked why this particular scenario keeps coming up and my answer is that this is a website about other paths history may have taken and there are those here who refuse to countenance any change in the timeline. Hitler dying in WWI and a successful Stresemann presidency are only a precursor a failed German invasion. The dream of trying and failing to attack the UK occupies the mind of General Secretary Rosa Luxemburg.

The swimmers also usualy have a boat accompanying them, it's likely that the boat checks if they're on course.
And now I'm imagining the Germans trying to have a bunch of soldiers swimming and wearing lifevests while trying to pull a panzer on a raft across the English Channel.