If we're rerendering the modern flag then this looks much better:
ukesniw3.png

Chapter 99: Kalmar

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 99: Kalmar

October, 1612

“Say it again.” Christian commanded.

“King Gustavus of Sweden has married Ebba Brahe, the daughter of Count Brahe, Sire.” Count Rosstein said.

Christian looked at the man and asked. “You are sure about this?” He couldn’t believe it. Had the young man truly thought with his little head?

“Yes, Sire.” Rosstein said. “We received the report this morning. It seems the wedding has been heralded across the Kingdom.”

“They must be getting delusional.” Christian said to himself. A marriage to a nobleman’s daughter. That was incredible. Especially when the man’s envoys had been trying to court Brunswick.

“What has the wider response been?” Christian asked.

“The Duke of Brunswick has been unmoved, Sire.” Rosstein said. “I believe he is more concerned with his son’s activities.”

Christian nodded, he had no idea what Rosstein was referring to and he didn’t care. “And the others?” Sweden had been courting Mecklenburg had they not? The Duke was a proud man, someone unlikely to take well to his sister being slighted.

“Mecklenburg is angry but has otherwise done nothing, Sire.” Rosstein said.

“Very well.” Christian replied. “Does King Sigismund know about this?” He figured that his ally would be able to use this to try and drum up some sort of support.

“He does, Sire.” Rosstein replied. “I ensured that his men were informed of it.”

“Good.” Christian said, he was trying to think of how else they might use this information, but nothing came to mind. Instead, he decided to focus on other more pressing matters.

Christian looked at Jens and asked. “How are the men coping?”

Jens didn’t need to look at any notes to reply. “They are confident, Sire. Confident that things will go as planned and that the Swedes will be forced to surrender.”

“Good.” Christian said. That was good, it meant morale was high, and when morale was high men were able to do incredible things. “How long can we withstand the siege?” The Swedes had come in numbers a few weeks ago, with battering rams and other such weapons. They hadn’t used the battering rams yet, which had made Christian suspicious.

“For at least another five months, Sire. Then we will need to find a way to bring food in.” Jens replied.

Christian nodded and looked at General Beck. “How likely is it that our ships could slip through any attempt by the Swedes to blockade us?”

Beck took a moment to reply, no doubt his mind was whirring through various scenarios. When he did answer, it was with grave solemnity. “Very likely, Sire, though there likely would be a fight.”

Christian nodded, he then turned to Jens and said. “I want men prepared for any such action.”

“Sire.” Jens replied.

Christian continued. “Who is it that is commanding the Swedish forces outside?”

“Constable Ryning, Sire.” Jens said.

“Ryning?” Christian replied, he’d never heard of the man.

“Yes, Sire. The previous constable died during an attempt to attack Your Majesty’s forces.” Jens answered.

“Ah, I see. And what is this Ryning like?” Christian asked.

It was Rosstein who answered. “Stubborn and firm, and fanatically loyal to the King of Sweden, Sire.”

“So, he cannot be bought?” Christian asked.

“I do not think so, Sire.” Rosstein replied.

“A shame.” Christian said. He really didn’t want to keep fighting for longer than he absolutely had to. He had achieved much of what he had set out to do, and though he would’ve liked to take Stockholm, he knew that doing so would cost a lot more in terms of lives lost and money spent, and truly he didn’t want to do that right now.

“How much longer can the Swedes continue the fighting?” He asked then, deciding to see whether he could force them to come to the negotiation table.

Rosstein hesitated in his response which suggested to Christian that the man wasn’t sure, or he was sure but he wasn’t sure if Christian would like the answer. When he did eventually answer, his words were softly spoken. “I am not sure, Sire. Some estimates say they are running out of manpower and money rather quickly, others that King Gustavus has taken a loan from the Dutch to keep fighting.”

“And which do you believe?” Christian asked.

“The former. I do not think King Gustavus is the sort of man to make himself indebted to anyone.” Rosstein replied.

“Why?” Christian asked intrigued, did the boy not have the stomach for the fight?

“Because he likely knows that with his marriage Sweden is on the bad side with a great many people, therefore they need to rebuild as quickly as they can.” Rosstein said.

“So, it is possible that he would be willing to consider negotiating a peace?” Christian asked.

Rosstein’s eyes widened in surprised, but he nodded all the same. “I think so, Sire.”

Christian considered this. Did he want to be the one to approach the Swedish pup first or did he want to force the Swedish pup to come to him first? He looked around and asked. “Would we be able to march for Stockholm when the season returns?”

General Beck answered then. “I see no reason why we should not be able to do that, Sire. We have ten thousand men, the Swedes have less than that, and if we can survive this siege their morale will have been broken. We can defeat them and march onward.”

“I think we should take it with some caution, Sire.” Rosstein said. “We may be able to do as General Beck says, but we might also find ourselves stuck here.”

“We won’t be stuck here.” Beck snapped. “I have ensured that.”

Christian could sense an argument was building so he held up a hand. “I want contingencies built up for both options. One for negotiating with the Swedes, and another for a march on Stockholm.” It was better to be prepared, that was what his father had always said.

“Yes, Sire.” Beck said.

“And Rosstein,” Christian said looking at the man. “make sure you don’t make too much noise.”

“Sire.” Rosstein replied.

Christian dismissed the men and then waited before ringing a bell, he smiled when his mistress appeared. He’d missed her.

The flags do look quite good, though I do think given Wales was considered part of England, there's perhaps a bit too much representation of it in the flags aha.Though I do find the flag with the dragon and harp pretty cool.

I do like the harp and dragon one as well, kinda covers everything.

Christian is going to die of old age before he actually sits down and negotiates with the Swedes I feel.

Chapter 100: Bride To Be

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 100: Bride To Be

October, 1612

Elizabeth pushed down the nerves as she walked side by side with Frederick, Elector Palatinate and her groom to be. The official announcement of their marriage was to be made in a ceremony next week, and as such, they couldn’t link arms, as that would be inappropriate, but Elizabeth still felt close to him as they walked.

The Elector was handsome, he had a proper beard, and piercing dark brown eyes. He turned those eyes on her then and she blushed. “Is everything well, Elizabeth?” He asked in heavily accented English. She’d asked him to call her by her name after their second proper meeting-she didn’t want formalities, not when it was just them (though her chaperone, Lady Hay likely didn’t approve)-and as such she felt a little thrill at hearing him say her name.

“All is well, Frederick.” She replied. He’d insisted she use his name as well.

Frederick smiled, and Elizabeth felt her heart flip. “Very well, shall we continue?” He asked.

“Yes, please.” She answered. Frederick walked quickly then, Elizabeth matching his steps, she felt slightly bad for Lady Hay and then decided not to. The woman was a shrew.

They continued walking, Elizabeth admiring the rose bushes in the garden, when Frederick spoke. “I read the book you recommended, Elizabeth.”

“Oh?” Elizabeth replied, intrigued. She’d recommended a book entitled Musings on King Arthur. It was written by an unknown author and was all the rage at court. Indeed, if she remembered correctly, the King had commissioned several people to look for the author.

“Yes, I found it most intriguing, though I disagreed with one of the author’s main points.” Frederick said, switching to French, which she knew he found easier.

Elizabeth switched to French as well and asked. “Which part?”

“The point the author makes about Mordred killing King Arthur out of a desire to finally get noticed.” Frederick said.

“Ah, I see.” Elizabeth replied. She knew why he disagreed with that, most of the men she knew who had read the book disagreed with that point whilst Elizabeth, the Queen and almost every woman she knew agreed with it. “Why?”

“Because Mordred was himself a well renowned fighter, and someone who had ruled a division of Britannia for many years when the final fight with King Arthur came. Indeed, the division he ruled was granted to him following his excellent work against the Faeries. Why would he need King Arthur’s approval or recognition in order to fight and kill him? He already had it.”[1] Frederick answered.

Elizabeth considered this. She glanced at Frederick and saw that he was looking at her intently, no doubt wanting to gauge her response. “I can see where you are coming from, Frederick, but I feel that you have missed a key point.”

“Oh?” Frederick replied a brow rising. “And what might that be?”

“Mordred only rebelled against King Arthur because he felt King Arthur was paying more attention to his nephews than his only son. Furthermore, Mordred was the one who exposed the affair of King Arthur’s Queen, and he was punished for doing so.” Elizabeth said.

“So, you think he rebelled because he was angry?” Frederick asked.

“Angry and wanting his father’s approval.” Elizabeth said.

“So, then why did he kill him?” Frederick asked.

“He allowed Morgana to whisper in his ear and contaminate his thought process.” Elizabeth said.

“I see.” Frederick said.

“You disagree?” Elizabeth asked, stopping to properly look at Frederick, she couldn’t make out what he was thinking by looking at his expression.

He shook his head. “Not disagree, but it is something that I’ve never thought of before.”

“I see.” Elizabeth said. “Perhaps you need a more feminine perspective then.” She smiled at that and was rewarded by Frederick laughing.

“Perhaps I do.” He agreed.

She continued walking as did Frederick, as they walked she found herself wondering when they’d be married. Father had said they’d be married soon, but how soon, she did not know. She didn’t know if she wanted to wait for long.

“I also had some thoughts about the new Shakespeare play.” Frederick said.

“Which one?” Elizabeth asked, the Bard had written two new plays since he’d written Robert II.

A World Awakens.” Frederick replied.

“Ah.” Elizabeth said. That play was one that the Bard had apparently been commissioned to write by the King to celebrate the Union. It was an interesting one to be sure.

“Do the people truly see the Kingdom like that?” Frederick asked.

“Like what?” Elizabeth asked.

“A lion awoken from its slumber.” Frederick said, referring to main character of the play, a lion named Brutus.

“Yes.” Elizabeth said without hesitation. Whilst the wording might be on the nose, the message was fairly accurate as far as she could tell. Henry would be able to give a more rounded commentary she felt.

“I see.” Frederick replied, Elizabeth turned to look at him and saw him grinning.

“What?” Elizabeth asked.

“It’s just that reminds me of something I once heard my father say.” Frederick said.

“Oh?” Elizabeth said, it was rare to hear Frederick speak about his father, he never mentioned the man in letters.

“It is those who use lions in plays that one must look out for.” Frederick said.

“And why is that?” Elizabeth asked intrigued.

Frederick stopped then, prompting Elizabeth to stop, he looked at her and whispered. “Because they are most likely to bring the most excitement to your life.”

Elizabeth felt her breath hitch. “And is that something you would like?”

Frederick smiled. “If it’s with you, then most definitely.”

Elizabeth grinned. “Then I can promise you a lot of excitement.”

Frederick’s smile widened. “I look forward to that.”

Elizabeth felt her cheeks heat. “As do I.” She said. They looked at one another and Elizabeth felt heat run through her entire body.

[1] Yes, I’m aware that I’ve probably brutalised several of the King Arthur myths, but I’ve also taken a little bit of inspiration from a story my grandmother used to tell me.

Last edited:
Elizabeth switched to German as well and asked. “Which part?”
IOTL she didn't learn German until later in life, and at the time of betrothal and up to the exile to the Netherlands she and Frederick spoke French to each other. Fred, raised by his French aunt and uncle, also would feel more natural speaking French (one of the problems he faced in Bohemia is that his German was crappy for a German nobleman, and he kept French as court language).

VVD0D95

Banned
IOTL she didn't learn German until later in life, and at the time of betrothal and up to the exile to the Netherlands she and Frederick spoke French to each other. Fred, raised by his French aunt and uncle, also would feel more natural speaking French (one of the problems he faced in Bohemia is that his German was crappy for a German nobleman, and he kept French as court language).
Oh interesting, duly noted.

There was even a famous historical anectode about brutalized French translation of wedding ceremony (the French interpreting was provided for convenience of the groom, but the official responsible for this kept mispronouncing words, making bride and groom difficult to keep faces proper for occasion).

VVD0D95

Banned
There was even a famous historical anectode about brutalized French translation of wedding ceremony (the French interpreting was provided for convenience of the groom, but the official responsible for this kept mispronouncing words, making bride and groom difficult to keep faces proper for occasion).
Lol I’m definitely including that

Nice that Frederick and Elisabeth are getting on ok.

Good that butterflies have not removed Shakespeare from prominence as a playwright.

So the correspondence butterflies caused Fred to bother and learn some English pre-marriage TTL? Cause as I've said, French was their common language until pretty much the end of their married life, that's why all their children grew up at least trilingual (their mother spoke English to them, their dad spoke German to them however non-eloquent speaker of the language he was, and both parents spoke French to each other).

VVD0D95

Banned
So the correspondence butterflies caused Fred to bother and learn some English pre-marriage TTL? Cause as I've said, French was their common language until pretty much the end of their married life, that's why all their children grew up at least trilingual (their mother spoke English to them, their dad spoke German to them however non-eloquent speaker of the language he was, and both parents spoke French to each other).
Yes I’m thinking so

Deleted member 147978

Elizabeth and Frederick get married just like IOTL, but would they have ATL children ITTL?

Seems like it.