Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

The Pixar idea needs some further development, ideally I would like to make a timeline out of it down the lane. Hit me up if you got things to say about this, I guess.

How would the history of animation and comics throughout the world look like if Disney never lost Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to Universal and Mickey Mouse never existed?

How would the history of animation and comics throughout the world look like if Disney never lost Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to Universal and Mickey Mouse never existed?
Hard to say. That said somebody has to both make the leap to sound ASAP and improve both animation and plotting pronto as the format was dying of being completely crap prior to Steamboat Willie. Presumably either Disney does that with Oswald (but has a harder task due to actually having to answer to other people) or one of the other pioneers does that.

I also don't think the Quantum leap to a full feature is likely to happen without the financial independence his 30's success had given Disney. You'd probably see longer animation appear more slowly (say half an hour pieces first) and probably interrupted by WW2 before an alt Snow White happens.

That said without Disney leaving everyone else in the dust and the efforts to catch up thwarted by WW2 you might see more studios prepared to make animated films earlier which might avoid Disney dominating the market.

Also Disney's control freak nature (and general A-holeism) came to the fore gradually once he was out on his own. Not being top Dog at a studio might see him forced to actually play nice with others.

So I've been thinking more about Disney-Pixar divorce idea, and wanted to flesh it out a bit further. Is anyone willing to discuss it a bit more?

Found out about the 1979 Fastnet race, and while I know I'm unqualified to write the AH it got me thinking. What if Ted Turner had done worse in the storm; injured, or worse yet killed.

For one thing, would CNN even exist since it was still in the planning stages back then?
There had already been pro-enviromental cartoons in the earlier 70s, so there still could be a counterpart to Captain Planet.

Last edited:
Here is one based on the "worst novel ever" Empress Theresa by Norman Boutin, becoming the novel that the author thinks it is:

There's a part of me that kinda wishes that this had gotten picked up:
This is one of the few pilots of shows not picked up that I actually completely through.

I rewatched Gaming Historian's video on Tengen and the battle between Atari Games and Nintendo. In the beginning, he mentioned that Sega was considered as a buyer for Atari Games before Namco came out with a higher bid.

Could this be an interesting divergence? What would Sega even do with Atari Games? After all, it's not the Atari with hardware — that one, Atari Corporation, was in the hands of Jack Tramiel, who wasn't particularly interested in video games.

Arcades dude it was all about the arcades
Sega had enough experience with coin operated arcades, so this could work out. Maybe it's a chance for arcades to be viewed more seriously in the States somewhere down the line?

There's the question of whether there would be a Tengen with all that entails. On one hand, I don't see Sega being willing to release games for any competing systems, on the other hand, Tengen did make After Burner for the NES. This is, of course, assuming that Sega would retain control of Atari Games and not distribute the ownership between several parties the way Namco did in OTL.

ere's the question of whether there would be a Tengen with all that entails. On one hand, I don't see Sega being willing to release games for any competing systems, on the other hand, Tengen did make After Burner for the NES. This is, of course, assuming that Sega would retain control of Atari Games and not distribute the ownership between several parties the way Namco did in OTL.
SEGA would kill Tengen, as those were the same illegal shit Accolade was doing against sega

SEGA would kill Tengen, as those were the same illegal shit Accolade was doing against sega
I suspect you missed the point here. Tengen was a way for Atari Games to enter the consumer electronics market without upsetting Jack Tramiel, since only his Atari Corporation could use the name there. Would Sega find a way to get Atari Games into home console releases?

Also, a certain Mark Cerny was working for Atari Games at the time. I sense an ATL Sega Technical Institute somewhere in here.

I suspect you missed the point here. Tengen was a way for Atari Games to enter the consumer electronics market without upsetting Jack Tramiel, since only his Atari Corporation could use the name there. Would Sega find a way to get Atari Games into home console releases?

Also, a certain Mark Cerny was working for Atari Games at the time. I sense an ATL Sega Technical Institute somewhere in here.
Yet but at the same time their actions started a lawsuit would be used as precedent against SEGA too later on( read accolade case) and they would, both as a publisher and developer. So on that way would evolve into STI Early

and they would, both as a publisher and developer. So on that way would evolve into STI Early
Do you think this would influence the commercial performance of Sega consoles? Also, would Sega keep the Atari Games name (say, for arcades) for as long as they can or would it be discarded completely? Atari is a recognizable brand, but its usage is limited (which is what gave the way for Tengen in OTL).

Do you think this would influence the commercial performance of Sega consoles? Also, would Sega keep the Atari Games name (say, for arcades) for as long as they can or would it be discarded completely? Atari is a recognizable brand, but its usage is limited (which is what gave the way for Tengen in OTL).
Can be used for arcades? If yes we can see an Atari-Sega was we saw a Sega-gremlin before, as that was very common in arcades, if not they would keep the corporate name and Sega AM brand.

Maybe I don't think would change the mega drive that much, as Sega got lucky NEC fumble it up in the west and Nintendo took an eternity with the super Famicom. But if they alongside Suzuki can change the Saturn, the better