Graphic Thread

This NASA article from 2009 mentions that ozone concentrations would have depleted 17% by 2020 without any global reduction in CFC's, and that by 2060, with 2/3 of the ozone layer gone, you could get sunburn in Washington D.C in just five minutes.

Extrapolating that, it is possible that in 2020, many tropical cities would be unbearable to live in as to require evacuation. Probably not somewhere as north as L.A just yet, however.

Imagine iff ozone layer denialism had been a thing: we would've been horribly screwed by now.

Three Years After The Grand Kekistani Hijacking | Face to Face - Al-Jazeera

YouTube-Page_01.png

Description

In this episode of Face to Face, Melonie Wu receives an exclusive interview with former far-right internet personality and Grand Kekistani victim - Alex Krakowski. Shedding light on the incident, he reveals the stunts that provoked ISIS and the torturous turmoils he and his friends faced during their captivity in Libya.

<--- Start Transcript --->

Introduction:

<Picturesque sceneries of a suburban neighbourhood in Queens, eventually cutting to a grim Victorian manor enamoured with colourful garden plots and lingering foliage.>

Melonie Wu: On July 14th, 2021, a bunch of far-right youths known as Groypers gathered in Franklin Street, Queens, to celebrate the 4th anniversary of the Great Triggering. Usually an outspoken and crowded event, they instead met with a tiny fraction compared to the infamous gathering in Buffalo, New York. Despite their disappointment, not all seem to be in vain as one of its organizers invited them to stay in his manor. Little do they know, however, that what follows next will set in the spotlight. Well, at least that's what they initially thought. [00:41]

<Melonie Wu is sitting on a curb, with her expressive fashion-line contrasting the grey and drabby sky. Behind her is the same Victorian abode, with a couple of boring pedestrians passing by.>

[Click here to read the full transcript!]

vZy5Pj2.png

"15 Év Élve És Hangosan (Live!)" is the first DVD-release of Hungarian Heavy Metal band Őrszem. The release contains two DVDs. Both DVDs show the video footage of the band's fifteenth anniversary-gig, recorded live at Petőfi Csarnok in Budapest, Hungary on Febuary 13th 1999. The concert includes 33 tracks and has a length of 2 hours and 40 minutes.

The tracklist of the DVDs:

DVD#1:
01. Intro + Őrült Bűnös (7:09)
02. Mint Bonnie és Clyde (4:09)
03. Konkvisztádorok (4:29)
04. A Harc Folytatódik (4:21)
05. Láncok és Bőr (4:57)
06. A Rock'n'Roll Imádat (4:24)
07. Álmaid Rombolója (4:13)
08. Emelkedő Főnix (3:58)
09. Mondd Miért (5:48)
10. Mi a Franc (3:49)
11. Felfordulások (5:00)
12. Folyók, Tavak és Hegyek Között (4:35)
13. Gonosz Sikátorok (4:39)
14. Fémlázadó (4:58)
15. Ünnepeljünk Ma Este (4:40)
16. A Heavy Metál Csodanőm (5:42)
17. Eredeti Ösztönök (4:53)

DVD#2:
01. Hangos és Szabad (4:30)
02. Itt az Idő (4:55)
03. Rég Nem Láttalak (5:39)
04. Összetört Szavak (5:22)
05. Dobszóló (3:53)
06. Instrumentális Vegyes (7:33)
07. Ököllel a Levegőben (4:35)
08. Az Éjszakai Borzalma (4:40)
09. Átkozott Fattyú (4:09)
10. Bajkeverők (3:45)
11. Győzelem (5:40)
12. Átkozott és Márkás (4:38)
13. Túlterhelés (4:10)
14. Bűnös Mosolyod (4:30)
15. Hölgy Acélbol (5:37)
16. Ne Add Fel (4:59)

"Instrumentális Vegyes" is an instrumental medley, combining several instrumental songs in the band's history like "Az Álmos Gyám" from the "Fémlázadó"-album (1987), "Elhagyott Hely" from "Támadjuk az Erődöt" (1989), "Mare Pannonium" from "Eredeti Ösztönök" (1992) and "Köd a Lápban" from "Túlélni" (1995).
Noticeable is that with "Átkozott és Márkás" there is only one song from the second album - "A Mennydörgő Hullámok" (1988) - played at this gig. From the other older albums, four songs from each one has been played here. In a later interview, singer Miklós Kisnyírfa told, they simply forgot to add more songs from the second album to the setlist.

"15 Év Élve És Hangosan (Live!)" is the first DVD-release of Hungarian Heavy Metal band Őrszem.

Damn! The more you post from that stuff, the more I want to live in this TL! :D
I really like the song titles and the cover artwork is simple but kind of noble at the same time.

I am definitely interested about more details of this Őrszem-TL, please tell what are other aspects there? Not only in terms of Hungarian Heavy Metal, but also in terms of how European countries are shapes, aboit politics, societies, etc. I'm highly interested there. :)

Damn! The more you post from that stuff, the more I want to live in this TL! :D
I really like the song titles and the cover artwork is simple but kind of noble at the same time.

I am definitely interested about more details of this Őrszem-TL, please tell what are other aspects there? Not only in terms of Hungarian Heavy Metal, but also in terms of how European countries are shapes, aboit politics, societies, etc. I'm highly interested there. :)
Thank you very much!^^

I do will post more stuff from my ideas. But I need a bit time to write a good TL with it, but things will come. Currently, I don't have that much time/ a lots of things to do in RL, but more stuff will be posted sooner or later, so no worries about that.^^
But it's really cool, that there a handful of people, who like my weird stuff, haha! :-D Feels great!

I'm curious about your timeline. Especially for those Filipino actions in Formosa.

You can go read it, the link is in his... signature (I forgot what those things below posts are called).

I mean, most things in that graphic are unlikely to be relevant soon in the TL since it is in the 1920s yet.

Final CoA German Elser.png

Coat of arms of Nazi Germany but the monarchy is restored, or alternatively the German Empire wins World War I then there is a March on Berlin during the Great Depression

Courtesy of u/WeirdSymmetry from Reddit: What if the Twin Towers did not collapse on 9/11?

This is admittedly a very unrealistic scenario. The towers must have suffered only a glancing hit for there to be even the slightest chance of survival; the direct hits of OTL basically doomed them right away.

And even if they survived, the extreme damage would have meant eventual demolition within a year or two; there's really no reason to leave such an enormous safety hazard standing after two decades. Not to mention that the derelict towers would have been a depressing scar on the NYC skyline, scaring away locals, tourists and corporate tenants alike.

But damn, the imagery of the World Trade Center - scarred, yet unbroken - still towering over Manhattan after all those years is incredible.

eqau3ig2eel71.png

Last edited:
@Pantegral
One of my professors had told us in class that the planes were able to destroy the towers easily because they had just taken off and therefore still had a lot of kerosene.
According to this professor, if the hijacked planes had been planes that were about to land (with much less fuel), the attack on the WTC would have been less devastating and the towers might not have collapsed.
Unfortunately I don't know how true or realistic this scenario is.

Courtesy of u/WeirdSymmetry from Reddit: What if the Twin Towers did not collapse on 9/11?

This is admittedly a very unrealistic scenario. The towers must have suffered only a glancing hit for there to be even the slightest chance of survival; the direct hits of OTL basically doomed them right away.

And even if they survived, the extreme damage would have meant eventual demolition within a year or two; there's really no reason to leave such an enormous safety hazard standing after two decades. Not to mention that the derelict towers would have been a depressing scar on the NYC skyline, scaring away locals, tourists and corporate tenants alike.

But damn, the imagery of the World Trade Center - scarred, yet unbroken - still towering over Manhattan after all those years is incredible.

eqau3ig2eel71.png
I believe that if the south tower’s attack failed, the north tower might not have collapsed. Avoiding the south tower’s attack is actually pretty easy, United 175 came within 300ft of crashing into Delta Flight 2315, which in aviation is nothing. Keep in mind that the south tower fell first and was attacked second, and it’s collapse caused a 2.1 magnitude earthquake on the ground. So this is not as impossible as it seems.

@Pantegral
One of my professors had told us in class that the planes were able to destroy the towers easily because they had just taken off and therefore still had a lot of kerosene.
According to this professor, if the hijacked planes had been planes that were about to land (with much less fuel), the attack on the WTC would have been less devastating and the towers might not have collapsed.
It's definitely true that the planes did a lot more damage because of their full tanks of fuel, but that was the point - the hijackers deliberately chose planes taking off from eastern airports on transcontinental flights to maximize their fuel loads.

It's definitely true that the planes did a lot more damage because of their full tanks of fuel, but that was the point - the hijackers deliberately chose planes taking off from eastern airports on transatlantic flights to maximize their fuel loads.
Your professor makes a good point. The 10,000 gallons of kerosene remaining on each aircraft burned at 1,500 - 1,800°F (800 - 1,000°C). Steel loses 50% of its structural strength at 600°C, and 90% at 1,000°C; more than enough to weaken the towers' frame to the point of collapse.

On the other hand, the fuel actually burnt itself out within 10 minutes; but the combustible interior fittings (rugs, curtains, furniture, paper, etc.) ignited by the initial fire kept burning at extreme temperatures, sustaining the heat transfer that eventually brought the towers down. A plane running on empty might have lead to a much smaller and less intense fire initially, but even that might have only delayed the towers' collapse for a few more hours - the structural damage from extreme impact velocity would remain, the fire would inevitably becomes self-sustaining, and there was simply no way for any firefighting effort to even reach (let alone effectively combat) a blaze between 77-95 floors above ground. And as @Wolfram have said, the hijackers knew about a high fuel load's effectiveness anyway.

I believe that if the south tower’s attack failed, the north tower might not have collapsed. Avoiding the south tower’s attack is actually pretty easy, United 175 came within 300ft of crashing into Delta Flight 2315, which in aviation is nothing. Keep in mind that the south tower fell first and was attacked second, and it’s collapse caused a 2.1 magnitude earthquake on the ground. So this is not as impossible as it seems.
Huh, there's actually a thread discussing this scenario posted four years ago. It's a more plausible outcome, but I still doubt the WTC complex would survive in the long run: the South Tower earthquake was, by all accounts, too weak to meaningfully destabilise the relatively untouched foundations of the North Tower. It was very much secondary to the weakened steel frame that eventually caused the sagging floors to "pancake" downwards.

United 175 crashing would indeed mean the South Tower’s survival, but the North Tower's collapse would have almost certainly damaged it well beyond repair. The facade would be pummeled by thousands of tons of debris, with secondary fires being ignited across the tower's length (as happened with 7 WTC).

Eventually, the ruined South Tower would have to be torn down; as I've said above, both the economic and psychological impact cannot be understated. Controlled demolitions are banned in NYC for obvious reasons; the only option would be to gradually dismantle the South Tower floor by floor. An unprecedented and immensely costly undertaking, but still less so than the equally unprecedented repair and reconstruction of the towers - which would also lead to far less economic gain, since who the hell would want to return?

Billions would have saw the North Tower burning and collapsing on live TV, just like OTL; even if no expense was spared in restoring the Twin Towers, would any corporate tenant be willing to put their headquarters at risk of instant destruction? Would any of their employees be willing to live and work where if anything went wrong, they might have to choose between being buried alive and having to jump to their death? Note that a pure repair means that incorporating major design changes, such as the new 1 WTC's improved security features, would be flat-out impossible. The restored Twin Towers would instantly become a financial black hole and public relations disaster.

The quoted scenario below would probably be the likeliest outcome.
My suspicion is that the South Tower would be damaged beyond economic repair by the collapse of the North Tower, the way many buildings around the site were badly damaged by the collapse IOTL. If anything, this probably delays the construction of a successor, because instead of carting away debris quickly, clearing the site means carefully and cautiously deconstructing one of the tallest skyscrapers on Earth, full of fun things like asbestos.

Last edited: