Roma Renovata est: A Roman TL

The Fate of Geiseric's Other Sons

• They are captured by Majorian

Votes: 203 68.8%
  • They escape to the Vandal occupied islands

Votes: 92 31.2%

• Total voters
Thank you for your reply. I actually am working on the story already, but the POD of my timeline is.... well, Majorian is resurrected by God in 461. Yes. Kind of why I'm not posting it yet.

Also, your decision to let Majorian lead from the front and get injured in Ch40 is also pretty realistic for an age where champions turn the course of wars - one version of the 421-422 War says Bahram Gor backed off from invading Anatolia after the Roman champion defeated the Sassanid one. It also fits with what we know of Majorian personally (Sid. Apollinaris' Carmina V mentions Majorian commanding a force of cavalry on a bridge some time in 447 or 448 during Aetius' campaign against the Franks).

I would also like to see what plans you have for the Great Church. It would not be an exaggeration to say in the Vth century, Church and Imperium are one, but in 451 we have Kalkedon. I could see Majorian trying to leverage the pope into re-accepting the Coptic Church so he could employ Egyptian funds to rebuild the west. Though Constantinople would probably not look kindly on such a dick move....

Cheers

A realistic version would be to have Majorian retain enough of a force that he is able to at least survive Ricimers initial coup, and then to lead a fight back.

Never in my life have I needed something so much and never known it, until now.
That's really surprising to say the least. I thought ASBs are generally a destroying factor in any timelinex'D
A realistic version would be to have Majorian retain enough of a force that he is able to at least survive Ricimers initial coup, and then to lead a fight back.
I've actually replayed what I know of the coup over and over again, and the only explanation I could come up with is: Majorian trusted Ricimer right until the end. A POD with a random somebody telling Majorian Ricimer was gonna kill him... just doesn't work. It would be easier to defeat the Vandals than convince Majorian his bestie (and most prominent ally) would be a turncloak.

At least Anthemius learned something from the entire fiasco...

Last edited:
That's really surprising to say the least. I thought ASBs are generally a destroying factor in any timelinex'D

I've actually replayed what I know of the coup over and over again, and the only explanation I could come up with is: Majorian trusted Ricimer right until the end. A POD with a random somebody telling Majorian Ricimer was gonna kill him... just doesn't work. It would be easier to defeat the Vandals than convince Majorian his bestie (and most prominent ally) would be a turncloak.

At least Anthemius learned something from the entire fiasco...

No no i didnt mean someonetells him ricimer is going to betray him, what i mean is that Majorian after cancelling his Vandal campaign had his army disperse as many were Mercs or fedorati, have Majorian maintain at least a portion of that army taking away ricimers chance to execute him, or ricimer still tries to kill him but due to tthe extra men escapes.

No no i didnt mean someonetells him ricimer is going to betray him, what i mean is that Majorian after cancelling his Vandal campaign had his army disperse as many were Mercs or fedorati, have Majorian maintain at least a portion of that army taking away ricimers chance to execute him, or ricimer still tries to kill him but due to tthe extra men escapes.
While the term "disperse" is often used to describe the Hesper army post-Cartagena, one needs take note of the Suebi, Visigoths and Franks. While some probably were effectively disbanded, Majorian did keep a certain number as garrison commands under Nepotianus and Aegidius. The treasury probably couldn't support him keeping a few thousand more for himself, or maybe he wanted to cut expenses and thought he could trust Ricimer. Anyhow, this final option was to prove fatal.

59:The Turning of the Wheels
A/N: Hello all! I'm here again with another Chapter of Roma Renovata est. As said before, Majorian's time is winding down as he goes into his 50s. What will happen during this time remains to be seen...

The Turning of the Wheels

473AD

In comparison to the years both preceeding and following, the times of 472-481 were a relatively peaceful time for the Empire. The year of 473 was no different in this regard, being in a time for recovery and stabilisation of the empire.

That is not to say that nothing happened in this time, nor did it mean things were perfect in the empire. Though things like corruption and economic instability were less crippling, these were still issues the empire had to deal with. Whilst Majorian tryed to fix these issues in the first half of his reign with varying degrees of success, he knew he would not be able to fully deal with issues such as these at this stage. He was now in his 50s, so he did not have the same energy as he did when he started his reign. More importantly, his affliction, which had been getting steadily worse as the years went on, meant he could not be as active in the day to day proceedings as he once was.

He would ultimately have to leave those issues to his son and successor Theodosius, hoping he would be able to continue on the trajectory Rome had set. For now, Majorian was content with his work. He had managed to take the sickly, dying empire and against all odds, had brought it back from near total destruction. For the first time since West split from East, the Western Roman Empire was on the rise. Though still not as mighty as it had once been, it was no longer a mere shadow, but an entity capable of standing against those that wished to oppose it.

Now the new generation was coming in, and Majorian wanted his successor to be as prepared as possible. In April of 473, Majorian reached out to Leo for a swap. Arcadius would be sent West while Theodosius would be sent East in order to further their training. After a month of waiting for a response, Leo agreed to this offer/request. Starting from July of 473, both were to go to their respective sides for 5 years. This only ended up lasting a year.

Despite its rather short span, this would be important, as it would mark the first meeting of Honorius and Arcadius. Though it took a bit as a result of the clashing personalities of the two, Honorius' charm eventually won Arcadius over. This establishment of friendship would become one of the most important factors for the survival of the west in just a couple of decades time.

In was also during this that Honorius would meet Rugalius, the son of Procopius Soranus. Rugalius was similar to Honorius in his energetic extroversion. As a result, it wasn't long before the two became friends, as well as friendly rivals. Rugalius essentially became a second to Honorius, being his best and most trusted friend. Alongside Aetius, these three could be seen as something of a mini triumvirate, especially as they were later known as the 3rd Triumvirate.

Most surprisingly, Arcadius and Luccius also became something of friends during this time, bonding over their love of books, particularly plays and philosophical texts. Luccius also came to respect the tenacity and energy of Honorius during this time, though still not enjoying his company.

Perhaps even more surprising than Luccius being friendly was news from beyond the Germannic Kingdoms. In Late 473, there were reports of raids on the borders, particularly the Alemanni and Rugii borders. What was most shocking was the group doing the raiding; the Huns. Whilst their empire had fallen, the Huns themselves had remained under their kings. Back in 469, under their kings Dengizick and Ermak had won some minor victories against the ERE and had raided south of the Danube. Since their fall at the Battle of Nedao, the Huns had been slowly rebuilding, trying to reestablish themselves.

Though still not as powerful as they were under Attila, they were slowly becoming a threat. One that could be staved for the time being, but a threat nevertheless. It worried Majorian and his administration that in due time, the Huns could force the Germannic Kingdoms to force themselves into Roman territory, as they had done when they first arrived.

Majorian knew that he needed to prepare for such an eventuality, namely by securing his borders. He decided he would start with the Kingdom of Armorica. Though small, Armorica had been something of a blindspot to the empire. It proximity to Gaul meant that should the likes of the Franks push into Gaul again, then Gaul could be at severe risk. Majorian would begin to prepare to reconquer lost lands once again.

One last time.

A/N: And that is all for now! Bit of a shorter Chapter compared to recent ones, mainly acting as a set up to later events in the story. Majorian now has his sights set on Armorica, intent on stabilising the frontiers against the Huns. We shall see how that goes soon. Thank you to everyone who has read this series, it has been great to all the discussions the memes and the feedback, so please, keep them coming! See you next Chapter!

Last edited:
Yay update:relievedface:
Starting from July of 473, both were to go to their respective sides for 5 years. This only ended up lasting a year.
TYPO
Majorian knew that he needed to prepare for such an eventuality, namely by securing his borders. He decided he would start with the Kingdom of Armorica. Though small, Armorica had been something of a blindspot to the empire. It proximity to Gaul meant that should the likes of the Franks push into Gaul again, then Gaul could be at severe risk. Majorian would begin to prepare to reconquer lost lands once again.
IIRC Armorica is modern Brittany, which means they're settled by Romano-Britons in exile? I suppose a peaceful solution could be worked out ... or not, since their grandfathers and fathers were chased out of the Isles by the Anglo-Saxons while the Romans did nothing.
One last time.
"And that, students, is the background of our case study today: Majorian's succession, and how trying to solve it extended the Crisis of the Fifth Century."

Arcadius: Why Luccius? Why you want to destroy the Empire?
Luccius: Because I’ve learnt enough to from you Romans- I learnt enough so I can know where to smear my shit onto when I destroy your Empire that your father built! DECEPTICONS, ATTACK!!!
*Unleashes his hordes of unsanitary barbarians.*
Arcadius: What the fuck is a Decepticon?!
Note: The scene is a reference to Transformers Parody by CynixBox on YouTube.

Arcadius: Why Luccius? Why you want to destroy the Empire?
Luccius: Because I’ve learnt enough to from you Romans- I learnt enough so I can know where to smear my shit onto when I destroy your Empire that your father built! DECEPTICONS, ATTACK!!!
*Unleashes his hordes of unsanitary barbarians.*
Arcadius: What the fuck is a Decepticon?!
Note: The scene is a reference to Transformers Parody by CynixBox on YouTube.
Applies more to the likes of Theodosius and Honorius, but otherwise good meme.

I think Majorian was in exile at the time of the Catalaunian Fields/Chalons, due to the possibility of him being married to Placidia.
But the exact year is rather blurry though. He was in active service at least up to 448, was recalled by Valentinian III in 454, so we have a six-year span within which his dismissal could happen at any time.
And considering Aetius lost contact with his own Roman troops halfway through Chalons, I think it isn't unlikely that Majorian's fame increased by leading the Roman forces during the battle. Which obviously led to Valentinian considering him as a potential son-in-law.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor

One last time.
The year is 473 AD. Gaul is entirely occupied by the Romans. Well, not entirely... One small village of indomitable Gauls still holds out against the invaders. And life is not easy for the Roman legionaries who garrrison the fortified camps of Totorum, Aquarium, Laudanum and Compendium.....

But the exact year is rather blurry though. He was in active service at least up to 448, was recalled by Valentinian III in 454, so we have a six-year span within which his dismissal could happen at any time.
And considering Aetius lost contact with his own Roman troops halfway through Chalons, I think it isn't unlikely that Majorian's fame increased by leading the Roman forces during the battle. Which obviously led to Valentinian considering him as a potential son-in-law.
The only problem with Majorian being there is that people like Sidonius Apollinaris would have likely at least mentioned Majorian being at the battle, especially as Majorian is one of the better documented Emperors during the Fifth Century.

The only problem with Majorian being there is that people like Sidonius Apollinaris would have likely at least mentioned Majorian being at the battle, especially as Majorian is one of the better documented Emperors during the Fifth Century.
That would then raise the question of why Majorian was considered for the position at all (around 450-451), since most of his previous battles were fought in distant northern Gaul, and as the Senate in Rome itself demonstrated, it couldn't care less about who was trying to keep Gaul Roman.

That would then raise the question of why Majorian was considered for the position at all (around 450-451), since most of his previous battles were fought in distant northern Gaul, and as the Senate in Rome itself demonstrated, it couldn't care less about who was trying to keep Gaul Roman.
From what I can gather, it is a combination of factors.

He had some level of family history, as his grandfather (also named Majorian) was a Magister Militum under Theodosius, and his father (possibly named Domninus) was essentially Aetius' accountant.

Those victories are also important, as whilst the senate wouldn't care, the soldiers certainly did. These victories helped him to grow influential in the army, not as much as Aetius, but enough to at least pose a threat to Aetius.

Again, it's Valentinian III that is making the marriage arrangements, not the senate (this is also why Eudocia was engaged to Huneric). He likely saw Majorian's importance in the army and wanted him in the family because of this. The main reason would be keeping the army happy, whilst also keeping Aetius from getting too powerful. It's a similar reason as to why Majorian was recalled after Aetius' assassination. He knew he needed to keep the army at least somewhat happy, and so recalled the army to keep the army from turning on him.

Hope this provides at least some explanation.

Again, it's Valentinian III that is making the marriage arrangements, not the senate (this is also why Eudocia was engaged to Huneric).
Ah, a miscalculation on my part. I got too carried away on the "Valentinian was designating a successor" side of the problem, and forgot he was designating a successor by matchmaking. Yes, the opinion of the senate, Valentinian could ignore, it wouldn't be his problem to placate them after he's already dead.
Huneric succeeding Valentinian suddenly feels like a crazy way to keep the Western Empire alive. Though, probably even Marcian would be forced to take action in this case.