An Alternative Wife of Erik of Pomerania, King of Denmark

OTL Erik married Philippa of Lancaster but had no issue by her. I was wondering in a scenario where Philippa is unavailable, who might Erik marry instead?

Margareta seems to have tried for a French match at one point (with Isabelle de Bourbon) and she was certainly interested in an imperial match for Erik's sister, Katharina. However, the sole remaining Wittelsbach girl (Elisabeth) is rather old (not to mention she and her sisters didn't have a lot of luck as far childbearing went).

Any thoughts who Erik might marry?

@Atterdag @Zulfurium @Milites @Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary

I always got the impression that Margaret wanted a match with a European conventional great power to really get across that the Kalmar Union was just that and not a peripheral kingdom like Scandinavian kingdoms had been for centuries. If she can’t get a French, English or Imperial match for Eric I think a Scottish, Portuguese or Spanish (of some sort) match might be her tertiary choice. If Eric is picking his own bride, I.e if Margaret dies before he can marry, then I think a bride with Polish connections is going to be his own first choice.

I always got the impression that Margaret wanted a match with a European conventional great power to really get across that the Kalmar Union was just that and not a peripheral kingdom like Scandinavian kingdoms had been for centuries. If she can’t get a French, English or Imperial match for Eric I think a Scottish, Portuguese or Spanish (of some sort) match might be her tertiary choice. If Eric is picking his own bride, I.e if Margaret dies before he can marry, then I think a bride with Polish connections is going to be his own first choice.
A daughter of Robert III of Scotland could make for interesting times @VVD0D95

Could Elisabeth of Luxemburg (daughter of Johann of Gorlitz) or a Burgundian girl work as well?

I would guess an imperial match.

According to Vivian Etting's biography of Margrete I, the Kalmar kingdoms had been largely isolated from European affairs for several decades and had come to be an area of fascination for outsiders. That is to say, with England and France kicking the shit out of each other for the better part of a century, Castile and Portugal in a near-continuous state of war, the emperor dealing with constant revolts and challenges to his authority, the Visconti slowly conquering and subjugating their neighbors in northern Italy, and the two Sicilian kingdoms a total mess, the various crowned heads of Europe had come to look at Denmark, Norway and Sweden as peaceful and prosperous and wondered how Margrete was able to hold it all together. If Etting is right in this description of Margrete's reputation, then Erik probably could have secured any bride he wanted, if not for the fact that Margrete wouldn't agree to any marriage that brought her kingdoms into foreign wars. (Erik and Philippa's OTL marriage negotiations dragged on for four years -- and the early concurrent negotiations for Henry and Catherine broke down entirely -- because Margrete would not concede to English demands that her kingdoms provide aid in a war against France.)

So, when trying to find marriages with people who are powerful enough to merit their daughter being made a queen, but who are willing to concede that you will not aid them militarily, you end up with a very short list. But I think there are some options:
  • Rupert III of the Palatinate had Agnes
  • Rudfolf III of Saxony had Scholastica
Wedding their daughters to a crowned head of Europe would be a huge boon for their families, and as prince-electors, it would give Margrete a network of connections across the empire.

I always got the impression that Margaret wanted a match with a European conventional great power to really get across that the Kalmar Union was just that and not a peripheral kingdom like Scandinavian kingdoms had been for centuries. If she can’t get a French, English or Imperial match for Eric I think a Scottish, Portuguese or Spanish (of some sort) match might be her tertiary choice.
Seeking a "conventional great power" would make Portugal and, especially, Scotland very odd choices. Portugal was a small and poor kingdom on the edge of the Atlantic at this time and Scotland a backwater with few continental connections outside of France. It wouldn't be until the reign of James III that the Scottish parliament would even concern itself with raising the dignity of the king, passing legislation to give him the power over church appointments and notaries -- areas of basic governance that kingdoms like England and France had concerned themselves with centuries earlier.

VVD0D95

Banned
I would guess an imperial match.

According to Vivian Etting's biography of Margrete I, the Kalmar kingdoms had been largely isolated from European affairs for several decades and had come to be an area of fascination for outsiders. That is to say, with England and France kicking the shit out of each other for the better part of a century, Castile and Portugal in a near-continuous state of war, the emperor dealing with constant revolts and challenges to his authority, the Visconti slowly conquering and subjugating their neighbors in northern Italy, and the two Sicilian kingdoms a total mess, the various crowned heads of Europe had come to look at Denmark, Norway and Sweden as peaceful and prosperous and wondered how Margrete was able to hold it all together. If Etting is right in this description of Margrete's reputation, then Erik probably could have secured any bride he wanted, if not for the fact that Margrete wouldn't agree to any marriage that brought her kingdoms into foreign wars. (Erik and Philippa's OTL marriage negotiations dragged on for four years -- and the early concurrent negotiations for Henry and Catherine broke down entirely -- because Margrete would not concede to English demands that her kingdoms provide aid in a war against France.)

So, when trying to find marriages with people who are powerful enough to merit their daughter being made a queen, but who are willing to concede that you will not aid them militarily, you end up with a very short list. But I think there are some options:
  • Rupert III of the Palatinate had Agnes
  • Rudfolf III of Saxony had Scholastica
Wedding their daughters to a crowned head of Europe would be a huge boon for their families, and as prince-electors, it would give Margrete a network of connections across the empire.

Seeking a "conventional great power" would make Portugal and, especially, Scotland very odd choices. Portugal was a small and poor kingdom on the edge of the Atlantic at this time and Scotland a backwater with few continental connections outside of France. It wouldn't be until the reign of James III that the Scottish parliament would even concern itself with raising the dignity of the king, passing legislation to give him the power over church appointments and notaries -- areas of basic governance that kingdoms like England and France had concerned themselves with centuries earlier.
Re the wcotttish church, Alexander iii did have a large level of influence over the church and church appointments, but Robert I and the war of independence did seriouslt knock the crowns influence especially as Robert had to make concessions

Eric I think a Scottish, Portuguese or Spanish (of some sort) match might be her tertiary choice. If Eric is picking his own bride, I.e if Margaret dies before he can marry, then I think a bride with Polish connections is going to be his own first choice.
Why should Margaret prefer Scottish bride over bride with Polish connections? I understand that she might prefer Castillian/Aragonese/Portuguese ones, but after Jogaila took the throne, Poland could be arguably considered one of the great power - it's king was one of the greatest threats for Sigismund of Luxembourg himself, Pope sought Polish help in the crusade against Turks, the Turks were talking with embassies from Vladislaus II, so I think it was at least on par with Castile in the term of being a great power. Or did she just support Teutonic Order (I don't know, so I'd be thankful for answer).

Philippa is unavailable, who might Erik marry instead?

Maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedwig_of_Masovia. And there is also another option, but I'd prefer to discuss it in PM.

Seeking a "conventional great power" would make Portugal and, especially, Scotland very odd choices.
What I meant was if a French, English or Imperial match was unavailable.

Why should Margaret prefer Scottish bride over bride with Polish connections?
She kept most polish affairs at arms length, probably she thought that their relations with the Teutonic Order were to volatile to make such a commitment to them.

What I meant was if a French, English or Imperial match was unavailable.

She kept most polish affairs at arms length, probably she thought that their relations with the Teutonic Order were to volatile to make such a commitment to them.
I think Isabella of Portugal is a possibility.

Eric IOTL married in 1406, had he been single until 1410 battle of Tannenberg might affect this or am I wrong?

Eric IOTL married in 1406, had he been single until 1410 battle of Tannenberg might affect this or am I wrong?
Possibly, at that point Margaret’s otl death isn’t far away either. The two did start showing more interest in regaining Estonia after the battle, but either were unwilling or incapable of committing much to the project due to the conflict in Schleswig that was going on, and would go on for most of Eric’s reign. But Eric certainly got more closely involved with Poland once he ruled alone.

Possibly, at that point Margaret’s otl death isn’t far away either. The two did start showing more interest in regaining Estonia after the battle, but either were unwilling or incapable of committing much to the project due to the conflict in Schleswig that was going on, and would go on for most of Eric’s reign. But Eric certainly got more closely involved with Poland once he ruled alone.
OK, so it seems the best bet in TL involving Philippa being taken is just to delay Eric's marriage until after 1410.

OK, so it seems the best bet in TL involving Philippa being taken is just to delay Eric's marriage until after 1410.
Or have Margaret die earlier, her dying around 1404-1405 would change a lot about Erik’s reign, and certainly who he’d want to form alliances with.

Rupert III of the Palatinate had Agnes

Agnes would be a great choice, though you’d have to abort her otl marriage and/or have her live longer. I’m sure Margaret would’ve loved an imperial and Wittelsbach double marriage for her adopted children.

Agnes would be a great choice, though you’d have to abort her otl marriage and/or have her live longer. I’m sure Margaret would’ve loved an imperial and Wittelsbach double marriage for her adopted children.
Think (given the time of Erik's marriage OTL), her sister Elisabeth, seems more likely

This isn't really about Erik, but rather a surviving Olaf II. The Erik+surviving daughter of Hedwig d'Anjou-Jogaila is a possibility, but what about a surviving Olaf II (b.1370) marrying Hedwig d'Anjou instead of Jogaila? Would there be interest in such a match from either side?

@Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @Atterdag

This isn't really about Erik, but rather a surviving Olaf II. The Erik+surviving daughter of Hedwig d'Anjou-Jogaila is a possibility, but what about a surviving Olaf II (b.1370) marrying Hedwig d'Anjou instead of Jogaila? Would there be interest in such a match from either side?

There was a thread about just this a while back.