Part 1: A Sign From Above
----------------------
Part 1: A Sign From Above

Palace of Axayacatl, Tenochtitlan
May 20, 1520 A.D.

Moctezuma sat, lonely and silent, in one of the many rooms of his father's palace. Though several hours had passed since the sun vanished into the horizon, the tlatoani's body refused to sleep as his mind thought over and over about the terrible mistake he committed many months ago, when he welcomed the Tlaxcalans and the strange light-skinned men who came along with them as guests into Tenochtitlan an attempt to know them better, even though the destruction of Cholula showed how dangerous they were. He then tried to convince the newcomers, whose leader was named Hernán Cortés, to join his side by giving them vast gifts of gold and silver, and how did they repay his generosity?

By turning him into a hostage so that they could satisfy their insatiable greed and, worst of all, interfere with the rituals that ensured the stability of the world since time immemorial (1) without having to face the people's wrath. He should've seen this coming, much like how his younger brother Cuitláhuac did. But Moctezuma was powerless now, destined to die a prisoner under the custody of a hated enemy and their new allies. What had he done for the gods to bestow such a humiliating fate upon him? There were several possible answers, but none of them mattered in the end: all he could do at this point was hope that Tenochtitlan would be spared from their wrath. But even that seemed like an increasingly remote prospect, since although his captors did their best to isolate him from the rest of the world, the tlatoani knew the population groaned under their harsh rule.

War was inevitable, and he was an asset to the enemy.

That made Moctezuma stand up. The gods' will was absolute, of course, but maybe there was something more to his current predicament, something they wanted him to do to make everything worth it? The monarch began to wander around in the palace in the hopes of calming his mind, the usual bustling of courtiers, servants and guards which dominated it in daytime replaced by a heavy, oppressive silence which made him feel even more alone. His curiosity was piqued: how alone was he, really?

Moctezuma made his way to one of the palace's exits as quietly as he could, and froze after encountering one of those "Spaniards" - as the foreign, light-skinned men called themselves - assigned to keep him captive, his metal armor glistening under the moon's light. But the stranger didn't react to his presence, something that made the prisoner realize he was asleep. So he continued onward, even more silently than before, and no one stopped him. A few minutes later, the liberating sight of one of Tenochtitlan's many streets greeted his eyes. The gods hadn't given up on him just yet (2).

The tlatoani knew he had to act quickly to seize the opportunity before him: Cortés had left a few days ago with a handful of soldiers to fight an army sent to capture him, leaving an even smaller contingent of Spaniards and Tlaxcalans under the command of Pedro de Alvarado, his trusted lieutenant.

It was time to pay them a visit.
----------------------
A few hours later...
Pedro de Alvarado was woken up by what sounded like thousands of people surrounding the palace of Axayacatl. The young captain wasn't too worried at first, for he had witnessed several of these incidents during his stay in Tenochtitlan and they were all resolved amicably thanks to the timely intervention of Moctezuma, whose speeches always calmed his subjects down. All it took was a brief peek outside for him to realize how much danger he and his compatriots were in: these weren't angry commoners, but warriors brandishing macuahuitls, quauholollis and other weapons, massing for an assault. Where the hell was Moctezuma to deal with these people? Were they revolting against his authority?

The invaders searched every corner of the building, but their prisoner was nowhere to be found.

Everyone in the palace knew that, without the tlatoani under their control, it was only a matter of time before they were all killed or, worse, sacrificed. That grim reality only hardened the resolve of the Spaniards and their Tlaxcalans allies, for although death was a certainty, they would bring down as many Aztecs as they could with them. With that in mind, Alvarado ordered the men under his command to use what little time they had left to barricade themselves as much as possible.

The attack began a few minutes later, and the Mexica warriors quickly overran most of the palace through sheer weight of numbers, while the defenders fought with increasing ferocity the more they were driven back and cornered. But there could be only one possible result, and even though the Tlaxcalans' courage was boosted by despair and the Spaniards' heavy cuirasses withstood multiple blows, they fell, one by one, as time went by.

Many hours later, in the morning of March 21, the Aztecs finally won the battle, but not before suffering many more casualties than expected. Nearly all of the palace's defenders were killed, Alvarado among them, while the few who unlucky enough to survive were taken to the Great Temple and sacrificed as offerings to Huitzilopochtli. The capital of the Mexica was free, for now at least, but it wouldn't be completely safe until Cortés and especially Tlaxcala were defeated for good.

And they would have to be fought in a battlefield much more favourable to them and their tactics, since it would be impossible to trap them inside Tenchtitlan again.

----------------------
Notes:

(1) Human sacrifices, of course.

(2) There are two PODs here. The first is that Moctezuma escapes the house arrest he was under since November 1519, the second is that he does so after Cortés departs to deal with Narváez and before Alvarado kills most of the Aztec nobility.

Interesting. I'm a suckered for Mesoamerican timeliness so I'll definitely we reading more of this.

Cortez is in a tricky spot but even a gruesome defeat will only deter other Spaniards for so long before they try again.

I've been interested in the whole mesoamerican culture and want my ancestor (being a mexican-american) to actually beat Cortez's and the Spainard's ass either to the coast of modern-day Veracruz or out of Mexico. Keeping an eye on this.

Edit: Forgot to ask, will you change how their religion that involves the whole 'human sacrifice to appease the gods' stuff.

Last edited:
Intresting. Never seen A<tec TL. Some Inca TLs I have seen but this is really intresting thing.
@King of the Uzbeks' The Sons of Inti Shall Not Perish was a direct inspiration for this work, and it's one of the best TLs I ever read on the site. Hopefully I won't burn out before the story reaches its conclusion (I want to reach the 18th century at the very least).
Excellent chapter!

Btw what will you about the heart sacrifice thing? Will it continue?
I can't answer your question without spoiling some important bits, sorry 😅

Very interesting timeline! I suppose that Tenochitlan and the Aztecs will survive with the downfall of Cortes and the Tlaxcalans but that doesn't mean they are going to remain the same for the future. I'm thinking there will be vast changes to Montezuma and the Triple Alliance as the people of the Old World start flooding in. Watched.

Oh ho, am I looking forward to this. Monctezuma, you may gain the forgiveness of your people just yet.

I will watch this tl with great interest.

Very interesting timeline! I suppose that Tenochitlan and the Aztecs will survive with the downfall of Cortes and the Tlaxcalans but that doesn't mean they are going to remain the same for the future. I'm thinking there will be vast changes to Montezuma and the Triple Alliance as the people of the Old World start flooding in. Watched.

Will surviving Aztecs mean surviving Incas?

Aztec society is indeed going to change. I can't see human sacrification surviving long time anymore. Not sure can they even avoid Christianisation. But them have yet worry with European diseases and new waves of Spanish conquisdators.

Will surviving Aztecs mean surviving Incas?

Aztec society is indeed going to change. I can't see human sacrification surviving long time anymore. Not sure can they even avoid Christianisation. But them have yet worry with European diseases and new waves of Spanish conquisdators.
Maybe, if only because the failure of Cortes might make Conquistadors a bit less desirable of a job. Plus butterflies might conclude the Incan Civil War faster than OTL, giving them the time needed to resist the Spanish for a while longer, perhaps even indefinitely. Disease will be a huge problem for both the Aztecs and the Inca though, so it's huge question mark on whether they survive or not even with the death of Cortes.

I think a Catholic Anahuac is inevitable, since conversion gives them access to trade with the Spanish and the rest of Christendom and removes the proverbial target on their back due to their perchance for human sacrifice. Plus I think the religion might help the Tlatoani convert the Empire from a tributary state into a more centralized regime where its military could be reformed to resist the European powers, as I have heard that human captives were an important source of tribute, which isn't necessary if the Aztecs become Catholic.

Maybe, if only because the failure of Cortes might make Conquistadors a bit less desirable of a job. Plus butterflies might conclude the Incan Civil War faster than OTL, giving them the time needed to resist the Spanish for a while longer, perhaps even indefinitely. Disease will be a huge problem for both the Aztecs and the Inca though, so it's huge question mark on whether they survive or not even with the death of Cortes.

It is very possible to butterfly Inca Civil War away. Diseases just need kill bit differently on Inca royal family.

I think a Catholic Anahuac is inevitable, since conversion gives them access to trade with the Spanish and the rest of Christendom and removes the proverbial target on their back due to their perchance for human sacrifice. Plus I think the religion might help the Tlatoani convert the Empire from a tributary state into a more centralized regime where its military could be reformed to resist the European powers, as I have heard that human captives were an important source of tribute, which isn't necessary if the Aztecs become Catholic.

Convertion to Christianity probably is not really nice event anyway. I woulödn't be surprised if there wouldn't be Aztec Civil War between Christians and Old Faithers. Spaniards have quiet good chance get more influence over Aztec Kingdom.