Fenians, Brits, Mexicans, Canucks and Frenchies....OH, MY! An alternate American Civil War

Chapter 76
November, 1866

Washington DC

Well, Lincoln thought in disappointment as he reviewed the mid-term election tallies, it could have been worse.

It truly could as the nation was enduring a bit of an economic slump and post-war exhaustion. The huge amount of weight placed upon the black suffrage movement also lost the Republicans some support. High tariffs to pay the exorbitant war debt and limited funds for investment were also key factors in why the Republicans lost 30 seats in the House and 5 in the Senate.

Yes, it could have been worse. At least the necessary number of states had approved the 15th Amendment late summer. That guaranteed over 750,000 new voters who were quite certain they knew who to thank for their suffrage. Unfortunately, most of those new voters were also residing in Southern States which had not yet been readmitted to Congress. Oh, well.

Still, Lincoln had done his best and the Republicans maintained a significant majority in both Houses of Congress. That was something.

In addition to the litany of complaints leveled against him by the Democrats, he had been accused of "Gerry-Mandering" by fast-tracking the statehood of Lafayette and Washington DC. The former only BARELY approved a referendum requesting statehood while the latter had long been presumed never to be raised to statehood.

Of course these were a wash as the French residents of Lafayette largely supported the Democrats (though their biggest domestic issue, beyond NOT WANTING to be Americans in the first place, was America's requirement of secular schools) while Washington DC, with its large black population, large military garrisons and number of bureaucrats would vote overwhelmingly Republican.

Given the massive Republican Majorities of the past four years, this return to the equilibrium may be deemed inevitable. Still, Lincoln would miss those majorities.

Unfortunately, there remained many accounts of intimidation of black voters in generation and unrest on the whole. Too many changes in too short a period of time had that effect. But most of the black men of the north successfully voted (for Republicans) and that had offset losing so many of the "Anti-Confederate" Democrats which had supported the Republicans during the war years.

Speaking of, Lincoln had a meeting this afternoon with two Senators of the same name, but certainly not related.

Stephen Douglas had long been Lincoln's rival in Illinois. However, the Democrat, having lost the 1860 election, did not hesitate to back Lincoln to preserve the Union. The President would never forget that fact and always treated Douglas with respect.

The new Senator from Washington "State", as the District of Columbia was now known, was Frederick Douglass. Elected as the "Senior" Senator of the new State, Douglass was the first black man to sit in the Senate. Four other black men had already been elected to the House of Representatives.

"Senator, Senator," Lincoln addressed them both, finding them an odd couple. While not a "fire-brand" Democrat, Stephen Douglas had not been overly concerned with the status of the slaves prior to the war. He just wanted to preserve the Union by compromise. Given the deplorable number of dead in the War Between the States, that seemed a reasonable concern. Frederick Douglass, on the other hand, was chief among the agitators for equal rights and was not remotely done doing so. With the greatest platform in the land, Douglass did not intend to shut up anytime in the near future.

That both Senators were willing to be seen with one another perhaps was a good thing. Separated by race and party, the two still had maintained a cordial relationship.

"Gentlemen, how can I help the senior Senators of Illinois and Washington?" The President greeted them warmly as John Hay came forward with coffee.

Both accepted and quietly sipped for a few moments before Douglass rumbled in his deep baritone, "I shall take only a few minutes of your time, Mr. President. The lack of Freedmen being granted Federal Jobs and Contracts prove that they are not yet getting a fair deal as you recall promising. The Federal shipyards, postal positions, etc, etc continue to allocate ALL positions to whites....as you may well know."

Lincoln nodded, admitting the same problem. Though he never wanted to produce some sort of "quota" system, it seemed necessary. "Yes, Mr. Douglass.....er, Senator Douglass, I fear I must concur. Though I am not certain how to change this, plainly something must be done."

"I quite agree, Mr. President," Senator Douglas intoned, much to Lincoln's surprise. He still hadn't figured out why BOTH of them were there together. "The Federal hiring system must be upgraded to hire the most qualified."

So, THAT was it. The Spoils System created under President Jackson had turned Federal Employment into a partisan affair. Even time a party left power, the postal workers and various bureaucrats were liable to be fired and replaced by members of the incoming party. It was a regrettable system and Lincoln admitted it had to change. Of course, during the sixty-year domination of the Democrats, this was not a problem beyond the occasional Whig President. However, it now appeared that the Republicans were the favorites to remain in office for a generation and that would keep Democrats out of Federal hiring. No wonder Lincoln's fellow Illinoisan wanted to support reform. Siding with Douglass only meant furthering his own party's ends.

Lincoln allowed both to carry on for some time before holding up his hand, "Gentlemen, I already survived ONE Lincoln-Douglas debate and have no intention of experiencing a Lincoln-Douglas-Douglass debate. You have my support if you can bring a bi-partisan bill before Congress."

Surprised, both Senators thanked him and departed without expected acrimony. Lincoln was amused at how such differing people could make such common cause.

Despite the improving economy, there seemed to be no shortage of problems. The sheer vastness of the migration out west by Freedmen in particular and Americans in General had strained the government's resources. The Freedmen had been promised provisions, seed, tools and an animal. Initially, this had not been a problem as there were so many surplus army pack animals. However, by 1866, this was costing the nation no small amount. The horse, mule, oxen, cattle, sheep, goat and various other animal producers in Texas in particular were making a mint off of the Federal largesse supplying this exodus.

The Navy continued to spend money hand over fist as it decommissioned old ships and built expensive new ones. The heavy two-turret battlecruisers were being launched every three months while trials on new submersibles continued apace. This seemed a good coastal defense idea. Unfortunately, two of the submersibles had been lost in accidents with all hands over the past year, bringing the idea into some disrepute. Still, key members of the admiralty remained in favor and they represented a small part of the research and development budget so Lincoln was willing to continue to experiment though under safer terms.

With the new "State of Washington" rising up in the district of Columbia, the "Washington Territory" out west, which would probably be fit for statehood sooner rather than later, would require a name change. Given how political such things tended to be, Lincoln was content let Congress hash that out. They'll probably name it after the biggest local river or Indian tribe. Rumors that the President was going to rename the territory "Lincoln" were almost absurd and probably cost him some votes in the last election.

As it so happened, the large Negro town in Nebraska (as well as towns in most states and territories) had been named after him. Lincoln was not so vain to actually advocate a state being named after himself.

Seward was Lincoln's next appointment. The Secretary of State had been the frontrunner for the Republican nod in 1860 and initially there was a frostiness between the two. However, that had warmed to a mutual respect and loyalty. Besides, Seward was almost as ugly as Lincoln and the President appreciated that.

"Mr. President," Seward began without preamble, as was his wont, "I'm getting increasingly concerned about this matter in Hispaniola. The reports that I am receiving paint a stark picture of mass slaughter in Haiti."

Lincoln frowned, "Spain has been perhaps the only European power with whom we have no quarrel....and does not seek to undermine us. I would hate to burn that bridge as well."

"Nor would I, Mr. President," the Secretary of State intoned, "but I cannot stay silent as hundreds of thousands of people are murdered. Even accounting for some exaggeration, it would seem at least a quarter of the population of Haiti is dead. Entire districts are being wiped clean of adult males and rapine of the Haitian women by Spanish, Dominican, French, Cuban, Puerto Rican....etc..... are simply too numerous to discount."

Lincoln sighed, "Send an envoy to Haiti, then. Perhaps your son would be interested. I would like a first-hand account by someone impartial. Just the facts, please."

Taking the victory for what it was, Seward nodded and departed without asking another boon leaving Lincoln to wonder if he wanted to kick up another foreign hornet's nest. The Haitians had been nothing but trouble since independence, both for themselves and their neighbors. While no doubt brutally oppressed for generations in bondage, the first half century since independence did not speak well of black government. Warlords, coups d'etats and other violence seemed to be endemic to that region.

When SPANISH government, of all things, was viewed as the more stable, it was a bad situation.

Last edited:
That argument works until the Canadians realise that

A) their culture is very similar to America's
B) Britain abandoned them
C) they are landlocked and economically independent on the USA
D) Would likely be stronger economically and safer as an official state.

I bet you by 1900, Canada/Ontario petitions to be admitted as an official state of the Union.

I'd have to ask a Canadian about this but I think they prefer their own citizenship.

My TL has then being granted unbridled access to the Atlantic by the Grand Trunk RR and, though it is not constructed yet, St. Lawrence Seaway.

I determined in this TL that, already trying to force 5 million southern whites back into the fold was enough to handle. They didn't need to try to force 3-3.5 million Canadians as well (Canada, Quebec and the Maritimes) who had never been citizens.

List of States and Territories - 1866
States at time of Civil War:
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Ohio
Indiana
Michigan
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Kansas
Missouri
Texas
California
Oregon

States since the start of the Civil War:

Kanawha (western 60% of Virginia)
NIckajack (eastern 40% of Tennessee and western 15% of North Carolina)
Arizona
Nevada
Lafayette
Washington (DC)

Likely to reach statehood in the near future:
Nebraska
Calusa (southern 60% of Florida)
Mescalero (western 40% of Texas)
Aranama (southern 30% of Texas)
Columbia
Washington (new name pending)

Great to see Stephen Douglas again. I actually forgot that he was still alive in this TL. Douglas is something of a favorite of mine and it would be awesome if he could someday be president in this TL. Looking forward to what comes next!

Chapter 77
December, 1866

Asuncion, Paraguay

With the fall of Paraguay's capital, McClellan had assumed the war to be over. However, President-General Lopez was intent apparently on tearing his nation down to the studs.
Fortunately, General Jose Diaz would be more willing to talk. Having served well in the Paraguayan Army for years, Diaz was tired of the poverty and death of the hopeless war and was willing to take a deal. Diaz agreed to use all his influence to end the war in return for guarantees on the territorial integrity of the nation.

As there remained exceptionally vague national borders in the region, even McClellan had to admit this was nearly impossible. Worse, he swiftly realized that Brazil did not want its "ally" Argentina to be augmented to the point where they could be a threat to Brazil.

The bickering allies were worse than the Paraguayans. Finally, McClellan was able to wrangle a moderate compromise which kept the worst of Argentina's advances at bay. Only a small amount of land would be turned over while the bulk of the nation would remain independent.

Thus, by Christmas of 1866, the allied army of Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, France and now General Jose Diaz marched into the hinterlands to hunt down the bulk of Lopez's diehards.

It would take nearly 4 more months but Lopez was finally cornered in northeastern Paraguay and gunned down by his former subordinates.

McClellan would do his best to keep the worst of the invader's depredations from the general population but was appalled by the carnage. Whole villages lay bare and depopulated. The American had thought he'd seen the worst of war with the bombardment of Manhattan.

But this was an entire different level.

Hispaniola

Major Augustus Seward and Assistant Secretary of State Frederick Seward were livid at having been refused entry to Haiti. The Spanish officials merely stated that they had no right to be there an demanded that they return home at once.

The sons of Secretary of State William Seward, the brothers had been dispatched to investigate the alleged abuses to the Negro and Mulatto population of Haiti. There was relatively little opposition to Spain attempting to conquer the area. After all, Haiti had tried and succeeded in conquering the Dominican twice. Turnabout was fair play and Haiti's government was reportedly so unstable as to be a direct danger to its own people.

But as tales of massacre, plunder and rapine abounded from the region, the Americans had sought to grasp the true nature of the situation. Unfortunately, Queen Isabella's government seemed disinterested in anyone interfering from the outside.

The brothers returned home in January, intent on demanding that their father implement the "Monroe Doctrine", though this was a very, very loose interpretation of the intent of the Doctrine.

With a military crackdown occurring in the former Confederacy as the army searched for anti-Freedman partisans, problems on the Great Plains with the native tribes and the Mormons causing issues in Utah, the attention of the government was not easily focused on this remote and desolate place where the Haitians were fighting for their lives.

Washington

"Yakima", Lincoln asked, his tongue attempting to work around the unfamiliar word.

John Nicolay, one of his secretaries, nodded, "Apparently, it came down to that or "Tacoma", both are Indian Tribes or places names or something of the such."

"As long as it doesn't mean "I hate Lincoln" in some Indian tongue, it is fine with me," the President joked.

After months of debate, apparently Congress had settled on a name for the former Territory of Washington. "Yakima" seemed an odd choice, for some reason "Tacoma" sounded better, but the President really didn't care all that much when all was said and done.

If the locals were happy with it as well, then so be it, he thought. But maybe "I hate Lincoln" would have been better. At least he'd been remembered in posterity.

Setting aside his morbid sense of humor, Lincoln read through the rest of his correspondence.

1. The Southerners were outraged that so many Negroes were departing the cotton states to the point that there were not enough sharecroppers to harvest the cotton. This was amusing as the past few years were spent being outraged that there were free Negroes around.

As there wasn't Lincoln could do about the matter short of re-enslaving the Freedmen, this was set aside.

2. Formal requests were made and granted for the formation of Territorial Governments in Calusa, "Yakima" and three or four other Territories. This was no doubt a precursor to a request for formal statehood in a few years. The President saw no reason to reject any of the requests though he did make a point that he expected the Territorial Legislatures, once embodied, offer a resolution of support for the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments.

3. The Naval department requested funds for a new class of battleship, apparently making even the Massachusetts class still in development obsolete. Though he regretted the expense, Lincoln knew he must seek Congressional support.

4. President Juarez was apparently livid at hearing that General Santa Anna wanted to return from his exile to his home in Mexico. Too much blood had been shed to allow that man back on Mexican soil. Lincoln would order that President. An American squadron would intercept his vessel and politely tell the man he was likely to be executed if he showed on Juarez' watch. Thus Santa Anna would return to his quiet exile in Cuba.

Might I ask why DC became a state? Isn’t the whole point of DC that it is not a state? If there’s voting issues return all the residential areas to Maryland and Virginia and keep the Federal stuff Federal. Or grant DC the voting rights of a state but not the autonomy of a state. Maybe they have only one Senator for example or very little electoral votes.

Chapter 78
Might I ask why DC became a state? Isn’t the whole point of DC that it is not a state? If there’s voting issues return all the residential areas to Maryland and Virginia and keep the Federal stuff Federal. Or grant DC the voting rights of a state but not the autonomy of a state. Maybe they have only one Senator for example or very little electoral votes.
I think the idea was always there but, in OTL, large numbers of the population were black and therefore not part of the electorate. That was probably why it had never become a state. By the time of the 60's, the Capital was entirely dependent upon Federal funds and few wanted to risk that funding for statehood.

In this TL, the 15th Amendment is being actually enforced thus I found it more likely.

I think the idea was always there but, in OTL, large numbers of the population were black and therefore not part of the electorate. That was probably why it had never become a state. By the time of the 60's, the Capital was entirely dependent upon Federal funds and few wanted to risk that funding for statehood.

In this TL, the 15th Amendment is being actually enforced thus I found it more likely.
Yes but the whole point DC was created was to make sure the federal capital is not a state so the federal government has control over it and prevent any conflict of interests.

It really just doesn't make sense. DC was explicitly created so no state had the national capital in it and made that state overly powerful. Literally every federal country in the world, from IRL America, Australia, my home country of Malaysia, has an explicit federal territory as capital to avoid these problems. It's in the Australian consitution that Canberra can never be a state.

Now if Lincoln thinks that DC should vote, he should give it one senator, and proportional representation in the House of Representatives and electoral vote which it could have as right of being the nation's capital. But statehood? No that doesn't make any sense at all and I don't see anyone voting for it.

Washington was not denied statedhood because of black people, it was denied statehood because it can never be a state without creating a whole host of issues related to the conflict of interest and responsibility between the federal and state government. It was never intended to be a state in the first place!

Last edited:
DC becoming a state means 2 senators who will always vote for more federal agencies in DC and more and more federal spending as the economy in DC becomes more and more dependant on federal spending.
This could lead to other big cities wanting to become a state like New York, Boston, etc.

DC becoming a state means 2 senators who will always vote for more federal agencies in DC and more and more federal spending as the economy in DC becomes more and more dependant on federal spending.
This could lead to other big cities wanting to become a state like New York, Boston, etc.
Which states like New York and Massachussets will absolutely hate. The precedent of DC's statehood and the ridiculousness of the nation's capital being a fellow state would make all states, both northern and southern absolutely protest and refuse this decision.

Genius move Lincoln, way to unite the country again after the Civil War.

If you want to amend the constitution I would consider adding a balanced budget requirement outside of America declaring war.
Possible an amendment forcing a sovereign wealth fund as a reserve to be used in the event of a recession or depression removing the need to borrow for an economic stimplas.
This might limit the tendency to buy votes more federal spending beyond what the country can afford.
It would be to limit politicians promising increased spending and cutting taxes and then borrow the rest and leaving the bill for the next goy to pay.

Chapter 78
March, 1867

Asuncion

30 miles north of Asuncion, President Lopez was finally cornered with a few dozen of his waning supporters in a grove of trees. Having formed what would later be called a “cult of personality”, Lopez had dominated every facet of Paraguayan life.

However, the allied assault would crack the Paraguayan army in 1866 and the partisan campaign did not last long against the allies and the turncoat General Jose Diaz.

It had been the fortune of Diaz to find Lopez. Though no doubt someone had raced off to inform McClellan, the Paraguayan knew that Lopez was too dangerous to keep alive. Thus, he ordered his forces to surround the small woods and attack from all directions.

By the time McClellan and his Argentine and Brazilian allies arrived, there was a photographer taking pictures of Lopez’ corpse.

The Paraguayan War was over.

Chincha Islands

Having quietly purchased one of the new Kalamazoo-Class ships from America, Peru’s navy spent weeks in training before sailing out to the Chincha Islands to confront the Spanish invaders.

Supported by half a dozen Chilean and Peruvian warships, the “Lima” would thoroughly outclass the Spanish forces available. Not expecting the Peruvians to field one of the most modern warships on earth, they would learn quite quickly when the “Lima” blew holes in the Spanish flagship on the first exchange. Almost immediately, she began to settle.

The other Spanish vessels deemed that discretion was the better part of valor and opted to retreat north towards Mexico and let the diplomats clear up the incident.

One was only so willing to fight over islands of guano. The birds can always crap more.

Siam

As the East Indies Squadron received heavy reinforcement from Europe including the Prince Alfred, Royal Oak, Bellerophon and the Monarch. Tragically, the HMS Captain had foundered on the voyage and was lost with all hands.

Once reaching the East Indies station, Admiral Leopold Heath assumed overall command and sailed to Siam with a fleet of 12 of Britain’s most modern warships.

The French had not believed that such a vital number of Royal Navy vessels would be assigned away from European waters.

Badly outgunning the French squadron blockading Bangkok Harbor, Admiral Heath issued an ultimatum. If the French forces (2000 French soldiers, 800 Marines and 2500 Vietnamese Sepoys) did not withdraw within 72 hours, then the Royal Navy would wipe their French counterparts from the sea.

The French commander demanded to know if this was a declaration of war. Heath shrugged and told him to take it however he liked but France WOULD NOT get a free hand in Siam.

In truth, that WAS what the French had assumed. Napoleon III had betrayed Britain’s (and Spain’s) trust by using their common “intervention” in Mexico as a path to conquest. They’d openly thrown support to protect Russian naval operations against the Ottoman. The Emperor forged an alliance in South America in contravention of British interest. The French were now trying to force open the Joseon Kingdom.

But Napoleon III simply underestimated British paranoia regarding even the slightest threat to India. What was more, British impatience with French aggression had reached the breaking point.

If the French did not withdraw….it would be war. But there was no question of the deadly British earnestness.

Which states like New York and Massachussets will absolutely hate. The precedent of DC's statehood and the ridiculousness of the nation's capital being a fellow state would make all states, both northern and southern absolutely protest and refuse this decision.

Genius move Lincoln, way to unite the country again after the Civil War.
I mean, you’re just kind of talking about points that are still being talked about today. DC was not envisioned to be an actual place people live in but it happened anyway and denying the residents who live their representation is contrary to one of the reasons the US broke from Britain. DC can certainly become a state if the federal buildings and certain districts inside are designated as federal property. I think you’d do well to look into both sides of the argument before dismissing it outright.
That all said, this is 1) up to the author, 2) getting out of the scope of the thread, and 3) turning into current politics.

I mean, you’re just kind of talking about points that are still being talked about today. DC was not envisioned to be an actual place people live in but it happened anyway and denying the residents who live their representation is contrary to one of the reasons the US broke from Britain. DC can certainly become a state if the federal buildings and certain districts inside are designated as federal property. I think you’d do well to look into both sides of the argument before dismissing it outright.
That all said, this is 1) up to the author, 2) getting out of the scope of the thread, and 3) turning into current politics.
Hence why I argued for returning all the residential areas to Virginia and Maryland so the residents can have representation. Then the White House, Congress, the National Mall, all the museums etc, remain a smaller federal territory.

In any case there are territories other than DC with no representation. Guam and Puerto Rico among others but that's beside the point. Statehood for a federal capital is something that just doesn't make sense to me and if the US electoral system is so rigid that it can't allow DC to vote without being a state, I really have no words.

In danger of derailing and getting reported for politics( please don't guys only making a suggestion) I think Westminster style does this better because federal territories have their own representation in the national legislature and it's not limited to states. My own country Malaysia for example, the federal territories have members of parliament representing them while remaining federal territories. This is the solution I propose for Washington DC in this story. This being said it is OP's story but I still think the clash between federal and state authority in DC would undermine the capital.

Chapter 79
April, 1867

Mexico City

By 1867, Ignacio Zaragoza had largely managed to purge the old Conservative political element from the army and hunted down the last of the regional warlords and outlaw gangs. Oh, there would always be the odd band of brigands but the nation was not remotely as lawless as it had been only a few years prior.

President Juarez was now secure in his office from any coup d'etat NOT led by Zaragoza. Feeling confident that his cadre of Republican officers would not betray the President, Zaragoza announced his retirement without fanfare, turned over his papers to his staff and departed Mexico City for an extended tour of America and Europe. He still had many relatives in Texas (and the territories carved from Texas) and enjoyed finally being at peace for a change.

Juarez, who had come to depend upon Zaragoza, would nevertheless breath a sigh of relief as there seemed no other threat to his office beyond Zaragoza himself. Though genuinely appreciative of the soldier's great contributions over the past decade, the President was happy to see the man into retirement.

Siam

Though outraged by the British high-handedness in demanding that the French abandon their play at conquering Siam, the French Admiral Fourichon knew that the political stakes were higher than a mere naval battle. Having seized the capital of Siam months before, the French had dug in.

Yet even the strong French squadron was not going to be a match for the British Armada, which held a number of heavy ironclad ships. The battle was not going to go well there. But the aging Admiral and French colonial governor (who was to be the first French governor-general of Siam) could not accept backing down.

The Admiral would ordered several of his own fleet (the older and more expendable vessels) ships scuttled at various key points in Gulf of Thailand near the mouth of the Chao Phraya River. The guns of these ships had been removed and placed upon high ground near the Mouth of the River, ensuring that any ship that dare attempt to sail up (mostly lighter ships) would have a hard time of it. The surplus sailors were pressed into the army to man the guns.

Having invaded with 6500 French and 4500 Vietnamese soldiers, the Admiral now had another 3000 French sailors on hand plus the inevitable "native volunteers", usually dissidents or political opponents of the King. Regional warlords offered aid or at least neutrality provided they were left alone.

The old Frenchman knew the game well enough.

By spring 1867 (not that "spring" meant much at this latitude), the French commanded the capital and could bring in supplies overland from Cambodia and Vietnam.

To the best of Fourichon's knowledge, the British Armada did not come with an army in tow. This led him to believe that the Queen's men did not plan on actually invading Siam but merely would be happy to expel the French. This gave the Admiral a certain advantage.

Now striped of the obsolete vessels, the French ships determined to break out in the middle of a starless night. The eight remaining vessels would be split into pairs, four sailing east to Vietnam and four west for the Sinai (unfortunately, the Suez Canal was still two years from completion but Egypt remained on good terms with France).

Under strict orders NOT TO FIRE FIRST, the French ships fled. In the dark, the unexpected maneuver took the British by surprise and several British ships fired upon the French as they fled. Two of the French ships would be stricken and force to strike though the other six escaped.

The news of the British attack on a French fleet would reach Europe within weeks and kick up a global firestorm.

Chapter 80
May, 1867

Rio de Janeiro

Emperor Pedro II would announce that his "great fighting General" McClellan was to be ennobled as the "Count de Parana" for his contributions in the Paraguayan War. He was also granted land in Brazil (which McClellan promptly sold) as a boon and granted a mansion in Rio de Janeiro. McClellan's wife Ellen arrived in the capital just in time to witness her husband entitled in the Brazilian nobility. She brought their six year old daughter and two year old son as well.

The Argentines, seeking not to look cheap, also granted McClellan lands though it was so remote as to be worth scarcely anything.

The French alliance of the Rio Plata was already falling apart as the natural enemies Brazil and Argentina were already at one another's throats over the spoils of Paraguay (Brazil refused to allow much encroachment by Argentina) and their long-standing rivalry in Uruguay. The latter country was already battling internally (again) while the Buenos Aires and British alliance looked on in amusement.

Feeling "appreciated" in Brazil in a way that he never felt in America, McClellan decided to remain in Rio to partake in various business ventures (he was effectively given stakes in several railroad and insurance companies by admiring leading citizens) and glorying his accomplishments in his memoirs.

Washington DC

For the first time, Lincoln was finally ready to consider returning "certain" Southern States to the fold in Congress. Tennessee and Texas had both reformed their Legislatures with minimal disruption from anti-Freedman factions and approved the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments.

It seemed none of the other former Confederate States were inclined to do so, a fact which made Lincoln more than happy as it meant continued majorities for the Republican Party.

Over the past year, the Union Governor-Generals had ruthlessly hunted down the southern partisans and, by and large, the "raiders" were less and less of a threat. But Lincoln knew that seeing Freedmen openly voting would be something very, very different. The President doubted that any election would be truly free anytime in the near future.

Publicly stating that the 1868 Presidential Election would be "closely monitored" and the results forfeited if any form of public intimidation were witnessed, Lincoln was ready to allow a couple of test cases for readmitting the Southern States as full-fledged members of the Union.

Tennessee, like Virginia, was a mix of north and south. It had a high industrial base, the loss of which had been as crippling to the Confederate cause as losing Virginia. It was not a "cotton state" and, while Tennessee had many slaves, they tended to be on smaller farms rather than large cotton or tobacco plantations.

Texas was another unique state. While a "cotton state", it was also lightly populated and the post-war mass immigration to the region would ensure that, only six years after the Confederate surrender, the pro-Confederate white population was well outnumbered by Pro-Union Whites, Freedmen and foreign immigrants (Germans being the most common with Mexicans and Irish after that).

Lincoln made it known that both Texas and Tennessee would host large garrisons of troops during the election to ensure free participation. The Democrats of the north half-heartedly objected though they knew well that Lincoln had a point. Only through Federal control would violence be avoided. And perhaps not even then.

The additional soldiers of the occupying army would be eligible to vote as well. This mattered little in Tennessee which had a population nearly a million souls but Texas, which had already been divided into three territories, would fine 15,000 disproportionately black Union soldiers to be a significant portion of the electorate.

In the meantime, Calusa, Columbia, Yakima, Mescalero and Aranama were all agitating for statehood.

In the meantime, America was about to get another internal headache out west.

Utah Territory

In 1849, the Mormons of Utah Territory had proposed "Deseret" for statehood. This was rejected due to, among other reasons, that sect's use of polygamy. It was this tradition which had caused the Mormons to be evicted from eastern states (Illinois and Missouri among others).

The Territory remained quiet through the war though, by 1867, it had reached a population of 70,000 about 2/3's Mormons.

Brigham Young, the leader of the Mormons since the death of the Prophet, would create a "shadow government" in the Territory. But the Comstock Lode would bring many non-Mormon settlers and the arrival of the railroad even more. It became apparent that, within a few years, the Mormons would be outnumbered by non-believers.

In 1867, fanatics under the nom-de-guerre of "Nauvoo Legion" would seek to halt this trespass by damaging the railroads being laboriously constructed along the plains. This was enough for Lincoln to dispatch 10,000 soldiers under Custer and Stuart to Utah Territory to reassert control. The Territorial Legislature was abolished and polygamy outlawed. While some Mormons spoke of rising up to fight, Brigham Young forbade this.

Seeing the futility, he would order his followers to depart with him for lands which would not hinder their faith. This saw a split in the Church as the remaining Church of Latter Day Saints would formally forbid polygamy upon penalty of excommunication from the Church.

The 20,000 or so polygamist followers of Young would migrate west and sail from San Francisco for Hawaii, where the King of Hawaii and his British "advisors" would welcome white settlers on Oahu and Hawaii ("Big Island"). They would be less thrilled in years to come when the practice of Polygamy was cracked down upon by the government.

Paris

Emperor Napoleon III would waste no time tearing into the British Ambassador for Queen Victoria's "vulgar display of aggression" which resulted in the deaths of dozens of French sailors in the Gulf of Thailand.

The Emperor demanded restitution and the immediate withdrawal of the Royal Navy squadron blockading Siam's capital of Bangkok.

The Ambassador, who had been well prepared, calmly replied in the negative. France's continual acts of omni-directional aggression could no longer be tolerated. Britain took the better part of valor in the Eastern Mediterranean, the Rio Plata and Mexico.

NOT so close to the borders of India.

The line was being drawn. If the Emperor decided to cross it, then let it be upon HIS head.