Abdication From Life - 1936

December 11, 1936

"I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as king as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love."

Given some privacy before the microphone, Edward VIII places the gun under his chin before his bodyguards can stop him and BLAM!

December 11, 1936 Aftermath
Director General of the BBC John Reith and the bodyguards immediately rush in. Reith calls for a doctor. Reith cuts the live audio feed. Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin along with several government officials rush to the studio. Edward is rushed to the hospital where he is declared dead.

I bit suspect that the king would commit suicide. Wasn't that seen really ultimate sin at this time in Anglican Church?

And even if he would connut suicide, how much this would change?

Suicide was indeed a major sin in most, if not all, flavors of Christianity. This will be a MASSIVE disgrace and scandal.
It certainly won't go well for Wallis, seen as "The woman who hounded the king to his death." The King can;t be blamed for something this bad, after all, so a scapegoat is critical. I could even see a trumped up charge of murder/manslaughter/whatever to clearly pin the blame on her instead of him. (Quickly forging some "incriminating documents" that imply that she was blackmailing him wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility--if she's hanged for passing secrets to whoever is convenient, then the king is the victim.)

Down the road in the early 1970s, the Royal Family approves of Charles' relationship with Camilla rather than tell him to find someone more suitable to avoid another Edward/Wallis situation.

How would this affect George's, and later Elizabeth's, reigns?

George VI has handle this scandalous thing. Even worse than just abdication. This might evne shorten his life so the queen would ascend bit earlier.

Not sure how this would affect Elisabeth. Would she be more fine for abdication on her very old days?

marktaha

Banned
Down the road in the early 1970s, the Royal Family approves of Charles' relationship with Camilla rather than tell him to find someone more suitable to avoid another Edward/Wallis situation.
So Di just another Sloane Ranger- unless she goes into show business.

Suicide was indeed a major sin in most, if not all, flavors of Christianity. This will be a MASSIVE disgrace and scandal.
It certainly won't go well for Wallis, seen as "The woman who hounded the king to his death." The King can't be blamed for something this bad, after all, so a scapegoat is critical. I could even see a trumped up charge of murder/manslaughter/whatever to clearly pin the blame on her instead of him. (Quickly forging some "incriminating documents" that imply that she was blackmailing him wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility--if she's hanged for passing secrets to whoever is convenient, then the king is the victim.)
That would be a very bad idea. Wallis was an American. When this framing was discovered, it would turn the Americans against the British. The British would have to release her and send her home. Then Wallis would be used by pro Nazi Americans to denounce the British monarchy who "Killed her beloved David". When World War 2 happens, no Lend-Lease act.

That would be a very bad idea. Wallis was an American. When this framing was discovered, it would turn the Americans against the British. The British would have to release her and send her home. Then Wallis would be used by pro Nazi Americans to denounce the British monarchy who "Killed her beloved David". When World War 2 happens, no Lend-Lease act.
I don’t think America’s gonna take it that hard. They’re not gonna ruin relations with such an important partner because of one mistress.

I don’t think America’s gonna take it that hard. They’re not gonna ruin relations with such an important partner because of one mistress.
Ordinarily you would be right. Wallis would come home, be famous, do interviews and write a book about her romance with a king. Most Americans wouldn't care and would likely have a low opinion of her. The problem is with falsely accusing her of causing the King's death. If Americans think that she is in jail due to a trumped up charge, they will be furious. That anger would hurt relations and would be used by pro Nazi and isolationist groups.

The British can be rather protective of the royal family. I see them putting a certain amount of blame on her, but very unlikely to do something as drastic as hanging or beheading. I could see her painted as the cause of this disgrace, very vigorously and enthusiastically, and possibly sentenced to prison. The backlash in America, with the rising tensions, would lead to her release.
SOMEONE has to be blamed for the king's demise, and it can't be the king himself.