Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

VVD0D95

Banned
"He would not be like his father; he would not give way to favourites or whores." - lets hope you hold to that Henry!

Didn't the marriage vows inculde something about'honour and obay' or is that something from later?
Think that might be something that could be added at the discretion of rhe participants.

Deleted member 147978

May Almighty God bless Prince Henry Frederick Stuart and Princess Anna Maria Wasa for their blessed marriage on the green earth He had created.

May the both of them be blessed with a large brood of Princes and Princesses. Amen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chapter 22: Wedding Night

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 22: Wedding Night

August, 1610

Anna Maria sat down on the bed and watched as her husband-that still felt odd to say-slammed the door shut in the faces of those who had come to ogle their consummation. Her husband turned and looked at her. “Sorry.” He said, speaking in French.

“It’s quite alright.” Anna Maria replied, in the same language. She knew English, albeit, in a rather broken and disjointed version, though she had been able to follow the ceremony by reading the lips of the Archbishop and then comparing the lip movements to what might be said in Polish, that and the fact she’d studied the ceremony beforehand had helped her. Though it had also confirmed that she needed to learn more English.

Her husband, Henry, moved to the table near the far wall and poured himself and her a cup of wine. Anna watched him do that and found herself thinking about her husband. He was a handsome man, his face was slightly plump, but not in the sense that he was fat, more that his boyish youth had not yet gone, though from the way he stood now, she could see the outline of muscle in his back and his arms, and legs. He had a fair head of hair, and the nicest eyes she’d ever seen.

Henry turned and walked over to her, handing her a cup of wine. “Thank you.” She said smiling.

Henry nodded. Anna put the cup to her mouth and drank. She sighed; this was the good wine. Not the horrible stuff that you sometimes got in Poland.

“How are you?” Henry asked her then.

Anna blinked and then said. “Tired and happy, mostly happy.”

“Happy?” Henry asked, he sounded surprised.

Anna frowned. “Yes, of course. I am happy to be married to you, and happy that the ceremony is done and dusted.”

Henry laughed. “Ah I see. Was the ceremony easy for you to understand?”

“Reasonably.” Anna replied. “I was able to follow along through reading the Archbishop’s lips and comparing them to the way my mouth had formed the words when I’d been reading over the ceremony guide the other day.”

Henry’s eyes widened, and Anna blushed. “You were able to do all of that with just a few days’ notice?”

Anna’s blush deepened. “Yes, I…I’ve been practising that since I was a child.” It was the one thing she was happy the Countess had insisted on. Now she could tell what someone was saying from across the room if she focused enough.

“That’s…. That’s impressive.” Henry remarked.

“I could show you, if you want?” Anna offered tentatively.

Henry’s eyes widened further. “Yes, please do.”

“Very well.” Anna said. “Think of a word.” She watched as her husband’s brow furrowed in concentration and then she added. “Now mouth the word.”

She watched as her husband mouthed a word, she got the first three letters of it. “Hello.” She said.

Henry’s eyes widened to comical proportions. “That’s…. that’s really impressive.”

Anna smiled. “Thank you.”

“You have to teach me how to do that.” Henry said.

“I will.” Anna replied, her smile widening.

There was a brief pause and then Henry asked. “And how did you find the feast? It wasn’t too much for you was it? I know that sometimes the King can go a bit far when he’s celebrating.”

Anna thought back to the feast, well, there had been two feasts. There had been the lunch right after the ceremony, held in the great hall of Westminster Palace, and then there had been the evening feast, held in the Banqueting Hall of the Palace of Whitehall. They were currently in a set of rooms in Whitehall that had been set aside for them. They would be heading to her husband’s main residence, St James Palace, on the morrow, and then from there, they’d be travelling to the King’s residence Theobalds.

The feast had been an interesting experience. There had been a lot of dancing and singing, and toasts. A lot of toasts. The King had been talking with a strange man, with a long red beard, and slightly reddish hair, who’d stared at her and made her shiver uncomfortably. Her husband had danced with her several times, and they’d even come close to kissing before the dance partners had changed. “It was lovely.” She said.

Anna took a sip of wine and looked at Henry, he seemed relieved to hear that. “That’s good. I’m sorry again that my sister stopped us from, well you know.”

Anna smiled as Henry blushed. “It’s fine, I understand.” She did, she’d want to dance with Wladyslaw when his wedding came, just to remind him how to treat his bride to be.

Henry nodded, then Anna asked. “Who was that man the King was speaking to? He seemed rather engrossed in what he was saying.”

Her husband sighed. “That was Robert Carr, the King’s chief gentleman of the bedchamber, and secretary.”

Anna could tell by the way in which Henry had said his name that he didn’t like the man, and therefore she asked. “He’s not a nice person, is he?”

Henry shook his head. “I don’t think so. But then, I will not force you to make a judgement yet, we will be meeting him again tomorrow before we depart for St James Palace.”

“Oh.” Anna said, unsure how to feel about that. She changed the topic. “What is the Palace like?” She’d read about it of course, but she wanted to hear about it from the horse’s mouth.

Her husband’s eyes brightened considerably then. “Oh, it is a magnificent place. Filled with magnificent sculptures, paintings, and books. And there are gardens that will make your heart sing.”

Henry had moved closer to her as he spoke, and thus Anna felt comfortable leaning in closer to him. “Tell me more.” She whispered.

Henry looked at her and smiled. “There are roughly six hundred books in the library, ranging from Ancient History and the Classics to more modern works. The paintings vary from the scenes from the Bible to tales of old, such as the Odyssey and Prometheus.[1]I think you’ll love it.”

“I’m sure I will.” Anna said, she put her cup on the floor and then stood up. She was just below Henry’s eyes, she could look right at his mouth, a shiver ran through her.

“Are you well?” Henry asked, clearly having noticed her shiver.

“I will be.” Anna replied.

“You will be?” Henry asked.

“Yes.” Anna answered, she looked up and then pressed her lips to Henry’s. He grunted in surprise and then he was kissing her back. He was a surprisingly good kisser, she wondered who she had to thank for that. When they broke apart, his lips were swollen.

“I think I’d like to do that again.” Henry said.

Anna giggled. “So, would I.” They kissed once again, Anna guiding Henry to the bed, which they promptly fell onto, though they didn’t stop kissing.

[1] Keep an eye on this one, this is important.

Brilliant chapters. Great how you capture each characters moods and personalities in each one.

A question or two, I have is regarding the governess. IOTL, she was described as being very thrifty and dressed mainly in a black Spanish dress.

How will she take to a king who spends money like it’s going out of fashion.

And IOTL she kept correspondence with Emperor Ferdinand II and the Pope and received a Golden Rose for an "exceptionally virtuous life".
Will she do so in the capacity of governess or will Henry and Anne send her straight back to Poland, similar to how Prince Albert sent away Victoria’s governess.

VVD0D95

Banned
Brilliant chapters. Great how you capture each characters moods and personalities in each one.

A question or two, I have is regarding the governess. IOTL, she was described as being very thrifty and dressed mainly in a black Spanish dress.

How will she take to a king who spends money like it’s going out of fashion.

And IOTL she kept correspondence with Emperor Ferdinand II and the Pope and received a Golden Rose for an "exceptionally virtuous life".
Will she do so in the capacity of governess or will Henry and Anne send her straight back to Poland, similar to how Prince Albert sent away Victoria’s governess.

Ahh glad, you're liking the chapters :)

I think, the Governess is going to be shocked/appalled by James' spending, and also maybe Henry's-Henry didn't spend nearly as much as James, but he still spent a lot-and I think, she might keep up correspondence with the Emperor here, which may actually play a role in her being dismissed, given what's about to happen in Europe.

I am liking Anna a lot I find. Good luck to this couple.

Am thinking Anna will not like Carr any more than we do.

When will the Prince and Princess of Wales meet the Queen?

Was reading wiki - did Henry ever learn to swim ITTL btw?

VVD0D95

Banned
I am liking Anna a lot I find. Good luck to this couple.

Am thinking Anna will not like Carr any more than we do.

When will the Prince and Princess of Wales meet the Queen?

Was reading wiki - did Henry ever learn to swim ITTL btw?

Oh they met the Queen at the wedding feasts, but if you mean more informally? Then soon.

And, yes, I think Fraser in her bio mentions that Henry did eventually convince his father to teach him how to swim

Ahh glad, you're liking the chapters :)
I think, the Governess is going to be shocked/appalled by James' spending, and also maybe Henry's-Henry didn't spend nearly as much as James, but he still spent a lot-and I think, she might keep up correspondence with the Emperor here, which may actually play a role in her being dismissed, given what's about to happen in Europe.
I can imagine that being her demise, neither James or Henry will stand for their lives being wrote about and sent to Holy Roman Emperor or the Pope.

Chapter 23: Councils Of A King

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 23: Councils Of A King

September, 1610

James took his seat in the Council Chamber, in the Palace of Whitehall and breathed a sigh of relief. He was incredibly grateful that God had seen fit to lower the temperature this month. Last month had been swelteringly hot, as had the month before. There had been reports of serious crop failures in the south west and the north, which was not good, but now with the weather cooling and rain hopefully on the horizon, things would hopefully improve.

James couldn’t feel too despondent though. His son’s marriage seemed to be a roaring success. The reports he got from Theobalds-where his son and daughter in law were staying for the time being-stated that Henry and Anna Maria spent almost every waking moment in one another’s company. And such was their feeling for one another, it seemed that not only had the marriage been consummated, but they were increasingly drawn to one another’s bed, for long stretches of time. As such, James fully expected to hear that his daughter in law was with child by the end of the year if not sooner.

That would be a good thing to present to Parliament, when it returned from its summer recess. It would meet next week, and James wanted to sort out his priorities for it. That was why he had summoned the Privy Council, to ensure that they all knew what their targets were.

James took a breath and then said. “Gentlemen, thank you all for coming. The time of summer is ending and Parliament returns. And with it the debate around the Great Contract shall resume.” James had hoped that the Contract would be made into law before Parliament adjourned for summer, but something else had come up and thus the Contract had been shelved. With Parliament’s return, James wanted to remove any barriers and to get the thing passed.

He fixed the Earl of Salisbury with his gaze. “We want no barriers put in place of its passing. We want it so that no troublesome Lord or Knight in the Commons can suggest amendments that will delay its passing. We wish it to be passed before the end of the first week of Parliament’s new sitting.”

Salisbury looked tired, his skin was white as a sheet, and his eyes were drooping, and yet his voice was still firm. “That should be achievable, Sire. I have spoken to our friends in the Commons and instructed them to lead the debate.”

“Good.” James replied, that their men should have been leading the debate from off he did not say.

“Sir Oliver Cromwell will introduce the bill for another reading at the first sitting, Sire.” Salisbury said.

“That is good.” James replied, Cromwell was a good speaker, and not someone who got flustered easily, unlike Holles, the other man that James trusted.

“How long will it take for them to clear it through the Commons?” The Earl of Northampton asked. Northampton truly did look like a ghost, how long he had left James didn’t know, but he suspected that perhaps the time was fast approaching for him to ask the man to retire.

“I would say a week, no more than that. Cromwell and Holles know how to guide things through, and besides opposition has largely been bought off thanks to the investiture and the marriage of the Prince of Wales.” Salisbury answered.

James nodded; he didn’t really know how to feel about the fact that his son seemed to have so much influence on the Commons that they could amend their desires to suit things that had happened in his life. It worried him.

“And then when it comes through to the Lords, we all know what to do.” The Earl of Suffolk said.

“Good.” James replied, fixing the man with his gaze. “We want to ensure that this is sorted out completely, we cannot keep living on empty.” The debts of the Crown currently stood somewhere close to £500,000. He’d managed to pay off £100,000 through fines levied on merchants who were in violation of a decision granted by Bate’s Case, but if he wanted to get the entire thing cleared off he’d need more money.

To that end he asked. “Has the Commons decided to stick with the £200,000 initial summary or have they gone for more?”

“I believe that Sir Francis Knollys will propose an increase to £450,000 a year, Sire.” Salisbury said.

“With no additional requirements?” James asked.

“No additional requirements, Sire.” Salisbury confirmed.

“Good.” James said. Maybe he’d misjudged old Knollys before. The man clearly had some sense.

There was a moment of silence and then James turned the conversation to something else he’d been contemplating. “Lord Suffolk, we had tasked you with investigating the feelings of the Kingdom around a Union with Scotland, we would hear your thoughts.” He’d given this task to Suffolk last year, after discussing the matter with Sir Edward Coke, Coke had encouraged him to pursue it through diplomatic rather than forceful means and as such, here they were.

“Sire,” Suffolk began. “The mood of the most important members of the Kingdom is that a Union could have benefits. Particularly if the terms are as Your Majesty has laid out. England and Wales keeps her legal code, there is free trade between the two Kingdoms, our navies join together into one single union, and there is one single currency.”

James nodded, happy, though he sensed there was a but coming. He waited, and Suffolk continued.

“On the matter of Parliament, the general feeling amongst the great lords is that this would be unproblematic, there is space enough within the chamber for extra lords. But, within the Commons, amongst the MPs there was some concern.” Suffolk said.

“About?” James asked.

“The number of MPs who would be chosen from Scotland, and where the space would be for them. Currently, with the number of MPs from England, it has proven slightly difficult to find space for all of them. There is concern that with an additional forty MPs, space would be even harder to find.” Suffolk said.

“Fifty MPs. Not forty.” James said.

“Sire?” Suffolk replied, frowning.

“There are going to be fifty MPs coming from Scotland not forty. As to where they would reside, well perhaps a change in location would benefit them.” James said. If he were being honest with himself, he was surprised that it was the Commons and not the Lords who were voicing concerns about space. Especially as there were limits on the number of MPs who would be coming to the Commons, whereas there would be no limits on the Lords.

“Sire?” Suffolk replied, breaking through James’ thought process.

“There is additional space in the chambers next to the Court of the Star Chamber, indeed, there are a few rooms there which contain unnecessary materials. Those can be knocked down and made into one room.” James said.

“I…” Suffolk began as if he wanted to protest.

James looked at the Earl of Oxford, who as Lord Great Chamberlain held responsibility for the security and maintenance of the Palace. The man spoke. “His Majesty is right, the rooms next to the current Commons chamber, and the Court of the Star Chamber, are unnecessary and therefore can be knocked down. A similar process can be done for the Lords should the need arise.”

Suffolk closed his mouth then, and nodded.

“Now, we want you to come up with a list of men you think would be suitable to attend a Commission of Union that will be held in due course. You will have two months to get this list together to present to me at the next formal council meeting.” James commanded.

“Sire.” Suffolk said.

James nodded then turned to look at the Lord Chancellor, Lord Ellesmere and said. “We have waited long enough, Ellesmere, the time has come for Sir Robert to get the letters of nobility that we promised him.”

Ellesmere’s eyes widened, though why that was, James didn’t know. He’d told the man before that he’d soon ask him to do this. “I…are you sure that is wise, Sire?”

“Wise? Yes. I am upholding a promise. See it done.” James commanded, bristling at the question.

“Very well, Sire. If Your Majesty could remind me of the titles, please.” Ellesmere said, pulling out a quill and some paper.

“Viscount Rochester and Baron Carr.” James answered.

Ellesmere made a note of that and then said. “I shall ensure that this is completed by the end of the day, Sire.”

James smiled at the man. “Good.” Now Robert would get off his back about it.