Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

With only one entry so far, it looks as though this round will need to be extended. This is something like the third or fourth round in a row now where this has happened, and I would rather not have this become a permanent feature - this isn't the Map of the Three-Weeks contest, after all. Would anyone like to put forward suggestions about how to increase participation?

(I suppose another option is to be less ready to extend rounds, and allow them to go unentered or uncontested, but that also goes strongly against tradition - as far as I can tell, MotF rounds have always had at least two entries. However, if enough people prefer this option, I will consider it.)

I have the impression there's a seasonal element into this (at least I have been much busier due to exam season while other times can be much easier) which might make things harder for people to participate.

I'll try to do something this week.

Congratulations to @Prince di Corsica for winning MotF 236 with a nifty map showing the Congo River as a cradle of civilization!

New threads are now posted:
MotF 237: Never Gonna Give You Up - Voting Thread
MotF 238: Caveat Emptor - Entry Thread

I am still giving consideration as to how to improve participation and have fewer extensions, but I think that as first step, starting with MotF 238 I will reduce the threshold for an automatic extension from having two entries to having one entry or none. We'll try that for a while and I will see how things go.

In the Asp's Embrace - make a map showing two possible aftermaths of a long period of civil strife (ie Rome after Octavian's victory and Rome after Mark Antony's victory)

This is Not Okie Dokie: Make a map depicting international response to a genocide, war crime, or other mass violation of human rights.
Goddammit, Mario!: Make a map depicting a country being "backstabbed" by a people, group, or other country.

"Sweats in French intervention in Rwanda and CAR"
I wasn't thinking of that (even though what you're talking about is a subject that gets very little media coverage...) but rather an madness World where the majority of the international scene decides to intervene to support the massacre and where it is largely assumed by the rulers in question.
For example a World where the Axis powers have won.

Last edited:
Here are my suggestions:
  1. Game of Thrones: Make a map of a realm engulfed by an epic war of succession crisis (anything allowed)
  2. The Lone Colonizer(s): Make a map of a world where only one (or two) country(s) colonized much of the world (no ASB or sci-fi, has to be realistic, starting time can be anywhere)
  3. One Nation, Indivisible: Make a map of a country uniting an entire ethnic group into one nation (no ASB or sci-fi, has to be realistic, starting time can be anywhere)
  4. God of War: Make a map of an area affected by a ruthless powerful warlord/general/army(s)/leader
  5. Century of Blood: Make a map of an area/world for which at least a hundred years has been devastated by endless conflict
  6. The Long Night: Make a map of an area/world that was devastated by freezing temperatures

Last edited:
The Seven Seas: Make a maritime map. Could show anything as long as it is mainly on the seas. Naval battles or campaigns, areas of piracy, voyages of famed sailors and explorers, fishing areas, trade lanes etc.

Last edited: