Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Manny is sure to get the PLM which will not make his mother Helene and his Aunt Kat happy as they know more then others what the price of the medal costs, the blood and lives of other people both friend and foe alike and will not think it is worth it.
Helene as the Minister of the Interior will probably demand that the German Government tell Argentina to agree to a ceasefire immediately or their aid is cut off, and if the government refuses Helene will resign immediately and pull the Democratic Ecology Party out of the governing collation which will force new elections.

Manny is sure to get the PLM which will not make his mother Helene and his Aunt Kat happy as they know more then others what the price of the medal costs, the blood and lives of other people both friend and foe alike and will not think it is worth it.
Helene as the Minister of the Interior will probably demand that the German Government tell Argentina to agree to a ceasefire immediately or their aid is cut off, and if the government refuses Helene will resign immediately and pull the Democratic Ecology Party out of the governing collation which will force new elections.
I mean, it's not like Manny's father doesn't know what it takes to earn one either. Curious to see how he covers the first match after finding out what his son did. (He's still the equivalent of a Bundesliga commentator, right? @Peabody-Martini?)

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won: the bravery of my troops hitherto saved me from the greater evil; but to win such a battle as this of Waterloo, at the expens of so many gallant friends, could only be termed a heavy misfortune but for the result to the public."

- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington

ferdi254

Banned
Seeing war as unjust and cruel is actually much older. You find this thinking already in old hinduistic writings, of course in buddhism and the Christian church has a nearly „1984“ style rewriting their own history to downplay their pacifism and the martyrs created by this in it‘s history.

Simplicissimus as another older work depicting war without glory.

But of course there have always been people glorifying war even after WW1.

Part 125, Chapter 2111
Chapter Two Thousand One Hundred Eleven

31st December 1971

Buenos Aires

It had taken a few days aboard the SMS Prinzessin Antonia, but the Surgeons had told Christian that his injuries were not life threatening. He had spent the flight from Fiambalá to Córdoba and finally to Buenos Aires completely out his head on painkillers and antibiotics, his arms and legs wrapped in gauze. The Surgeons had been unable to find all the small fragments of metal and stone lodged in the parts of him that had not been armored, mostly his arms and legs. Many of those fragments had started to work their way out on their own and the risk of infection was great, so Christian was being kept cooped up.

Christian had found that being a hero didn’t mean a whole lot here after the ten of them who’s injuries were relatively minor waited on the hospital ship in Buenos Aires while the Heer decided what to do with them. Aboard this ship, it seemed like everyone was a hero of some sort, so they were just the crazy guys who called in an artillery strike, from 15cm Evergreens no less, on their own position as a way to give the finger to the Chileans as they were being overrun. Laudable, sure, but still totally batshit insane.

That was why Christian was staring at the ceiling, deck, or whatever you called it on a ship. The others in the ward were watching a television that was playing a recording of a sitcom from back home. Christian wasn’t interested. Instead, he kept running the numbers of what had happened to the Squad he had led. Fred Moser, the Squad’s Radio Operator, Martin Kruger, one of their gunners, and Engel Brun, one of their Dragoons, were all dead.

Bruno Kundert had his face peppered by shrapnel. It was a miracle he had made it to the field hospital alive and the Surgeons had been unable to save his vision. He said that driving an Iltis was the only thing he had ever been good at. Florian Brodbeck had sustained similar injuries to Christian’s and was with the others watching the sitcom. Einar Tann was in a different ward recovering from the major surgery that had been required to save his life after getting shot in the chest by the Chileans. Christian had been told that he would eventually recover but that would not be soon.

Manfred von Mischner and Ralf Blecher had been in the same hole as Christian. Manny was in a private cabin and not just because he was an Officer. It was said that because he had been nominated to join the prestigious Order of the Pour le Mérite. When Christian had spoken with him last, he had been taking the deaths and injuries among the Platoon hard. He felt that he had made several mistakes starting with letting them volunteer to remain on the line. Ralf was in the bed next to Christian’s, and he was annoying everyone with his tendency to want to disassemble anything electronic.

Rainer Maus had somehow received only minor injuries and had been sent to 7th Recon’s Headquarters to wait for further orders, sort of hard to do with the rest of the Platoon out of action. Ralf figured that Maus was probably Oberstlieutent Schier’s gofer. As if Christian needed more proof that God loved drunkards and fools.

Feeling restless, Christian got out of bed and limped on bare feet to the door leaving the ward. Stepping out into a hot, humid night, he saw the lights of the City off in the distance. The Antonia was anchored out on the river for reasons unknown to him. He recalled that he had been flown from the airport to the helipad on the ship. It was something that he hoped he would never have to do again. It being New Year’s Eve, there was a celebration going on in the city. Leaning on the rail Christian watched the city and wondered if they did fireworks at midnight here like they did at home.

Christian’s own situation was a bit odd. He had been promoted again before leaving for Paso de San Francisco, but the news had not reached him before the battle. Then afterwards he learned that Manny had remembered saying that he would put him in for a medal after he had insulted that Chilean Officer. Like the EK1 and EK2, the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross was open to Officers and Enlisted alike, Christian getting nominated for one was huge deal though. He had also been recommended for a meritorious promotion and had his name broadcast over the Imperial Radio Network in a dispatch to the Reichstag. He had been informed of all this by one of the Nurses calling him Oberfeld Weise and had thought that she was talking to someone else. Later, when Generalfeldmarschall Dietrich Schultz had been visiting Manny, two of his Staff had spoken with Christian. They had said that with his service record, decorations, and after having received two meritorious promotions in two and half years he seriously needed to rethink the role he played in the Heer…

“You are not supposed to be up” One of the Nurses said as she approached Christian. “And look at this, you’re bleeding again.”

Christian looked at his arm from where he had been clutching the rail, the bandage had blood seeping through it.

“Sorry, Ma’am” Christian said, “I was just trying to get some fresh air.”

Last edited:

ferdi254

Banned
At that time OTL nurses had a high role so you‘d better not mess with them.

As a very small aside the first sitcom in the Germany (and that is stretching the meaning) was „Lindenstraße“ in 85 with Alf coming alive at the same time and some other US sitcoms in the middle to late 80s like Alf or the Bill Cosby show.

ferdi254

Banned
And yes Christian should feel very lucky he got out of that alive. But until today there is no remedy to survivor‘s guilt. I hope PTSD is not getting him. Having seen a couple 155 explode from a „safe distance“ I sincerely wish to be never to be on the incoming side.

Later, when Generalfeldmarschall Dietrich Schultz had been visiting Manny, two of his Staff had spoken with Christian. They had said that with his service record, decorations, and after having received two meritorious promotions in two and half years he seriously needed to rethink the role he played in the Heer…
This sounds like a recruiting pitch to move over to the BND…

ITTL Greta was on basically the first German sitcom when television was introduced in the first timeline and she played a character based on Kat.

This sounds like a recruiting pitch to move over to the BND…

ITTL Greta was on basically the first German sitcom when television was introduced in the first timeline and she played a character based on Kat.
Or take an instructors role, teaching advanced infantry tactics to non-coms, (AKA The how not to get your men killed course).

I think the change is probably a change from Soldat auf Zeit (soldier for the term of enlistment) to Berufssoldat (career soldier) and OCS. Probably making him Manny's aide de camp.

Christian has three choices:
1) Wait out his term of enlistment, then get out (officially at least)
2) Stay in the Heer and possibly become the next Jost Shultz
3) Stay in the Heer and possibly become the next Tilo Shultz

Christian has been set up as a character to be someone who is like Jost Schultz or Reier to have the back of another person, in this case it is Manfred von Mischner.
It basically all depends on what the future holds for Manny that will determine in what direction Christian's life goes in and we have not heard anything about the extent of Manny's injuries.
After what just happened in that last battle and the previous posts about how great a shot Manny is the most logical direction for Manny is that he is transferred to the BND as part of a wet work team but there is a lot of different directions that this can go to that is also very logical.

It seems to me that it ie Germany that is doing the heavy lifting in this war and that will not go down with the German people if the war continues because the President of Argentina wants to keep the war going in order to "punish" Chile.
There might be criticism that Germany has been suckered in to doing the majority of the fighting and how the Americans were smart enough to just send weapons and advisors only which will be the highest insult that can be made..

Part 125, Chapter 2112
Chapter Two Thousand One Hundred Twelve

7th January 1972

Berlin

The railcar slowed to a stop as it pulled into the station. Pulling on his coat, Manfred von Richthofen was annoyed by how he felt the cold as he had grown older. He remembered that Käte had wanted to buy a house in Italy or Portugal, and he had not liked the idea because that would be admitting that he had grown old. There were entire communities in those countries that catered to German retirees during the winter months. They would happily welcome Manfred, and his money, with open arms. Still, the thought of spending the winter months with a vast crowd of pensioners who shuffled around ancient streets that they no longer had the energy to properly explore as they waited to die did not appeal to him. He would certainly miss the rhythm of the seasons that had been a part of who he was for his entire life. Grabbing ahold of Rust’s leash, Manfred did his best to stride towards the exit but the arthritis in his knees made itself felt and he almost cursed aloud. He would be damned if he would walk with a cane. It was already bad enough that he was half deaf and needed glasses to read. It seemed like every part of him was failing him these days. As a retired Field Marshal and the Prince-Elector of Silesia, Manfred had had a number of Aides who had taken care of the arrangements for today before he had left Silesia. They had done much of the thinking beforehand, so that was one thing he didn't need to worry about.

“The Emperor has confirmed your meeting with him tomorrow” Major Erich von Manstein said. It seemed absurd to Manfred that his Chief of Staff was the grandson and namesake of a Heer General he had once worked closely with. But there he was. The meeting with Friedrich had been up in the air just a few hours earlier. It being Emperor Friedrich these days also felt absurd.

“Very well” Manfred replied.

“The other bit of news is that Herr Guthmann is waiting in your car” Erich said, “He said that it is urgent.”

“When isn’t it?” Manfred asked.

Erich just stared at him and for what must have been the thousandth time, Manfred felt that the Major really needed to develop a sense of humor or else he felt sorry for the men in the future who would fall under Erich’s command. Not that his grandfather had exactly been a joy to be around either. There was also something about the way he mentioned Guthmann that suggested that he shared his grandfather’s perspective on certain other matters as well. It was a reminder to Manfred why he had taken pains to keep Erich and Helene separate at all times. She was rather intolerant of that sort of thing.

Walking out of the train station, Manfred saw his car waiting for him. As the Chauffer opened the back door, he saw that Berthold Guthmann was waiting inside.

“Why exactly haven’t you retired yet?” Guthmann asked as Manfred sat down. “Like most men our age.”

“I could ask you the same thing” Manfred replied.

“I passed off running the firm to the Junior Partners ages ago” Guthmann said, “They called me back from Naples because it seems that I’m the only one that can talk to a stubborn old goat like you. I’d rather be there than experiencing the joys of winter in Berlin.”

Guthmann had just unknowingly confirmed many of Manfred’s earlier thoughts about Italy. During the First World War, Berthold Guthmann had flown in the Imperial Air Service, what would eventually become the Luftwaffe. After the war he had gone into the legal profession and was one of the few Lawyers who Manfred halfway trusted to mind his family’s affairs.

“What’s the crisis that is so important that it brought you back to Berlin?” Manfred asked.

“You haven’t seen today’s news then I take it?” Guthmann asked, “Your daughter threatened to withdraw the Greens from the Government if our further involvement with the war between Argentina and Chile involves anything other than a ceasefire and negotiating a settlement to end the conflict. She is really taking her son getting hurt over there personally and that move would force early elections. The Chancellor is screaming bloody murder.”

That surprised Manfred. He had returned to Berlin because Manfred the Younger was coming home this week and could probably use the support of someone from his family who understood the implications of everything that had happened. To help him put things into perspective.

“That is the sort of powerplay that I wouldn’t have expected from Helene” Manfred said, but in retrospect should have anticipated it.

“We need to get ahead of this matter” Guthmann said, “The optics of…”

“I’ll issue a public statement expressing my unreserved support for my daughter’s actions” Manfred replied cutting off Guthmann.

“That is a bit of a surprise” Guthmann said.

“The war in Argentina is over but for the shouting” Manfred said, “While Helene’s actions are because she is upset as a mother, it also makes her look extremely powerful which is good for the Party.”

Guthmann stared at Manfred, looking bewildered.

“I cofounded Democratic Ecology with Helene and Sophie Scholl, so I have an interest in the future of it” Manfred continued, “Care guess who this move appeals to? Millions of wives and mothers out there who are less than thrilled by the military adventurism over the last couple decades.”

“Of all the Machiavellian crap you have pulled over the years” Guthmann said, “This takes the cake.”

“Welcome to the future Berthold” Manfred replied, “Some of us have seen it coming for a long time.”

Last edited:
Chapter Two Thousand One Hundred Twelve

7th January 1972

Berlin

The railcar slowed to a stop as it pulled into the station. Pulling on his coat, Manfred von Richthofen was annoyed by how he felt the cold as he had grown older. He remembered that Käte had wanted to buy a house in Italy or Portugal, and he had not liked the idea because that would be admitting that he had grown old. There were entire communities in those countries that catered to German retirees during the winter months. They would happily welcome Manfred, and his money, with open arms. Still, the thought of spending the winter months with a vast crowd of pensioners who shuffled around ancient streets that they no longer had the energy to properly explore as they waited to die did not appeal to him. He would certainly miss the rhythm of the seasons that had been a part of who he was for his entire life. Grabbing ahold of Rust’s leash, Manfred did his best to stride towards the exit but the arthritis in his knees made itself and he almost cursed aloud. He would be damned if he would walk with a cane. It was already bad enough that he was half deaf and needed glasses to read. It seemed like every part of him was failing him these days. As a retired Field Marshal and the Prince-Elector of Silesia, Manfred had had a number of Aides who had taken care of the arrangements for today before he had left Silesia. They had done much of the thinking beforehand, so that was one thing he didn't need to worry about.

“The Emperor has confirmed your meeting with him tomorrow” Major Erich von Manstein said. It seemed absurd to Manfred that his Chief of Staff was the grandson and namesake of a Heer General he had once worked closely with. But there he was. The meeting with Friedrich had been up in the air just a few hours earlier. It being Emperor Friedrich these days also felt absurd.

“Very well” Manfred replied.

“The other bit of news is that Herr Guthmann is waiting in your car” Erich said, “He said that it is urgent.”

“When isn’t it?” Manfred asked.

Erich just stared at him and for what must have been the thousandth time, Manfred felt that the Major really needed to develop a sense of humor or else he felt sorry for the men in the future who would fall under Erich’s command. Not that his grandfather had exactly been a joy to be around either. There was also something about the way he mentioned Guthmann that suggested that he shared his grandfather’s perspective on certain other matters as well. It was a reminder to Manfred why he had taken pains to keep Erich and Helene separate at all times. She was rather intolerant of that sort of thing.

Walking out of the train station, Manfred saw his car waiting for him. As the Chauffer opened the back door, he saw that Berthold Guthmann was waiting inside.

“Why exactly haven’t you retired yet?” Guthmann asked as Manfred sat down. “Like most men our age.”

“I could ask you the same thing” Manfred replied.

“I passed off running the firm to the Junior Partners ages ago” Guthmann said, “They called me back from Naples because it seems that I’m the only one that can talk to a stubborn old goat like you. I’d rather be there than experiencing the joys of winter in Berlin.”

Guthmann had just unknowingly confirmed many of Manfred’s earlier thoughts about Italy. During the First World War, Berthold Guthmann had flown in the Imperial Air Service, what would eventually become the Luftwaffe. After the war he had gone into the legal profession and was one of the few Lawyers who Manfred halfway trusted to mind his family’s affairs.

“What’s the crisis that is so important that it brought you back to Berlin?” Manfred asked.

“You haven’t seen today’s news then I take it?” Guthmann asked, “Your daughter threatened to withdraw the Greens from the Government if our further involvement with the war between Argentina and Chile involves anything other than a ceasefire and negotiating a settlement to end the conflict. She is really taking her son getting hurt over there personally and that move would force early elections. The Chancellor is screaming bloody murder.”

That surprised Manfred. He had returned to Berlin because Manfred the Younger was coming home this week and could probably use the support of someone from his family who understood the implications of everything that had happened. To help him put things into perspective.

“That is the sort of powerplay that I wouldn’t have expected from Helene” Manfred said, but in retrospect should have anticipated it.

“We need to get ahead of this matter” Guthmann said, “The optics of…”

“I’ll issue a public statement expressing my unreserved support for my daughter’s actions” Manfred replied cutting off Guthmann.

“That is a bit of a surprise” Guthmann said.

“The war in Argentina is over but for the shouting” Manfred said, “While Helene’s actions are because she is upset as a mother, it also makes her look extremely powerful which is good for the Party.”

Guthmann stared at Manfred, looking bewildered.

“I cofounded Democratic Ecology with Helene and Sophie Scholl, so I have an interest in the future of it” Manfred continued, “Care guess who this move appeals to? Millions of wives and mothers out there who are less than thrilled by the military adventurism over the last couple decades.”

“Of all the Machiavellian crap you have pulled over the years” Guthmann said, “This takes the cake.”

“Welcome to the future Berthold” Manfred replied, “Some of us have seen it coming for a long time.”
Very good.

Bravo! Just because Opa Richthofen is a Feldmarschall a.D. doesn't mean that he is a unthinking militarist.

And many seem to have forgotten the man's political affiliation. True it goes Family-Kaiser-Silesia-party politics, but you should never underestimate the old Generals. They are those nasty and ambitious enough to not have bitten a bullet.

Last edited:
Kurfurst von Richthofen is overflowing with pride not just for his first grandson but his oldest daughter in pulling a masterful power pay.
Helene could have not pull this off without the support of her party and in particular the party leader Sophie Scholl but if this fails then the Greens are not going to be trusted again with any major posts in future coalition governments and for the Greens getting the Interior Ministry post in the first place was a major coup for the party.
Ironically we are at the Thirtieth Anniversary of the founding of the Women Auxiliary and Helene was one of the first to join where she was awarded the EK 2 and along with who her father, husband, best friend, brother and son are that gives her a credibility to oppose further involvement in the war once the President of Argentina decided to fill the graves of the Chilean Army with the tears of the widows and children.

Paternas

Donor
One thing I've been wondering about this Chile-Argentina conflict is the naval aspect. Given the level of German involvement what have the German submarines been doing? I would expect a naval blockade/mining campaign. I'm having a bit of trouble seeing how the Chileans kept their economy going.

As Kat takes thing day to day and reacts accordingly, the Kurfurst Richthofen has shown he thinks on the long term for his family and country.

Kurfurst von Richthofen is overflowing with pride not just for his first grandson but his oldest daughter in pulling a masterful power pay.
Helene could have not pull this off without the support of her party and in particular the party leader Sophie Scholl but if this fails then the Greens are not going to be trusted again with any major posts in future coalition governments and for the Greens getting the Interior Ministry post in the first place was a major coup for the party.
Ironically we are at the Thirtieth Anniversary of the founding of the Women Auxiliary and Helene was one of the first to join where she was awarded the EK 2 and along with who her father, husband, best friend, brother and son are that gives her a credibility to oppose further involvement in the war once the President of Argentina decided to fill the graves of the Chilean Army with the tears of the widows and children.
Manfred Senior has always seen the ruthless streak in Helene as making her most like him in character. Helene's ability to turn a very real emotional incident (her son wounded in one of the most dangerous battles of this 'police action', with many of his men killed around him) into a real political issue cements her status as a 'conviction politician' whose family's tradition of service and understanding of the cost of Germany's wars doesn't purely represent political posturing or playing for electoral advantage. Furthermore, while they might not totally agree with Helene's colour of politics or her threat to bring down the government, the majority of the mothers, daughters and wives of Germany's servicemen would quietly nod in agreement with her position on this issue (not to mention the fathers, sons and husbands of women serving in the military).

Last edited: