The Quarter-BAM project

View attachment 659822

Quarterbam with latitude and longitude lines, i didn't do them on land but i think wouldn't be too hard to put in a ocean only map. Be aware this is based on the Q-BAM which has a weird prime meridian... Also the lines mark each 30 degrees because i did aesthetically prefer this, considering i made the map to use in a particular project. Hopefully i will post it soon :)

Also, the ice caps is based on WorldA's because i also like it more than the Q-BAM ones.
Very Good Map!

I also went ahead and started on the paleogeographic maps with a 750 ma map.
View attachment 659696
MY ideas for the paleogeographic maps:
  • The deep oceans are shown using a deep shade of blue, and the current blue is reserved for continental shelves
  • Maps set before the evolution of land plants (i.e. before the Silurian and Devonian periods) colour the land a drab brown
What is this sourced from?

(all credit to @Gust) i figured some people would want it so here it is a Only Islands Quarter-BAM
12345678.png

Last edited:

qazse

Gone Fishin'
Okay, so I came up with a colouring methodology for the paleogeographic maps.
paleocolourscheme.png

And to showcase the ice colours, here's 690 ma updated to account for the global ice cover of Snowball Earth.
690 ma.png

qazse

Gone Fishin'
630 ma. This one was a real tedious one because the Scotese base map I used made it almost impossible to see under the ice...
EDIT: Updated the map to fix a discrepancy between the left and right edges.
630 ma.png

Last edited:

qazse

Gone Fishin'
Backing up in time from my pervious map, we have 660 ma. A few notes:
  • This time lay in between the two Snowball Earth glaciations, so the standard colours are used rather than the ice colours.
  • I was unable to find a 660 ma reconstruction of Scotese's in any of his filesets, so I had to use the reconstruction from the Visible Paleo-Earth project, which does not show continental shelves (it's meant to provide a Blue Marble-esque view of ancient Earth). Ergo, the continental shelves are not shown on the map. If you wish to try and add them yourselves, feel free to do so.
With that out of the way...
quarterbam660ma.png

qazse

Gone Fishin'
And with 600 ma the Precambrian maps are complete. Probably the most complex ice cap I've done so far...
quarterbam600ma.png

I'm still working on the rivers! Here's a lot more of Europe. I can't really do much more until the qbam rivers map progresses further; I've been using the qbam as a base. I've also update it to a complete world map. Not sure what to put in the top left yet, anyone is welcome to update that.
quarterbamrivers.png

I've also got a few minor patches for the main maps:
quarterbam2021.png
quarterbamblank.png

qazse

Gone Fishin'
540 ma. Now that we're in the Phanerozoic, the coastlines for the paleogeographic maps start getting complex - note the various lakes and inlets around Gondwana's peripherary.
quarterbam540ma.png