TL-191: After the End

How did Germany democratize?

The democratization of the German Empire was shaped by the victory of the Central Powers in the two Great Wars, as well as by domestic considerations. The Social Democratic Party and the Centre Party both played key roles in this admittedly gradual process.

How much of London was destroyed in their superbombing, and how many died? Depending on where it hit, I think that there could have been at least 100k British casualties.

Also, did the royal family survive?

How much of London was destroyed in their superbombing, and how many died? Depending on where it hit, I think that there could have been at least 100k British casualties.

From what I experimented with Nukemap, much of central London would be destroyed with much of the famous landmarks being destroyed as well. This using a Fat Man bomb based on the maximum capacity of nukes at the time and seeing how the Germans would want to go for maximum destruction. Deaths will be at least the number you stated.

From what I experimented with Nukemap, much of central London would be destroyed with much of the famous landmarks being destroyed as well. This using a Fat Man bomb based on the maximum capacity of nukes at the time and seeing how the Germans would want to go for maximum destruction. Deaths will be at least the number you stated.
Islington probably caught some of it; DBE mentioned that Herbert Chapman was killed and that Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and West Ham all had to be rebuilt almost from scratch.

Islington probably caught some of it; DBE mentioned that Herbert Chapman was killed and that Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and West Ham all had to be rebuilt almost from scratch.
Ideally, I put my blast site at either Southwark or at the west end of the City of London.

Last edited:
Why wasn't the UK occupied and balkanized post-SGW?

The German Empire had extensive security commitments after the end of the Second Great War, including a prospective two decade-long military occupation of northwestern France, continued military requirements throughout Germany’s East Central European allies, and existing overseas military deployments throughout the rest of the empire. A long-term military occupation of Great Britain was never considered by the postwar German government.

Breaking apart the United Kingdom politically was also never seriously considered by either the Austro-Hungarian Empire or the German Empire. Neither country wanted to establish a precedent for regions of their respective empires to seek independence.

The German Empire had extensive security commitments after the end of the Second Great War, including a prospective two decade-long military occupation of northwestern France, continued military requirements throughout Germany’s East Central European allies, and existing overseas military deployments throughout the rest of the empire. A long-term military occupation of Great Britain was never considered by the postwar German government.

Breaking apart the United Kingdom politically was also never seriously considered by either the Austro-Hungarian Empire or the German Empire. Neither country wanted to establish a precedent for regions of their respective empires to seek independence.
So that last bit is why the CP opposes Scottish independence post-SGW despite being advantageous to them in seeing the UK weakened and not having them rise against them ever again.

I am not sure of either the number of casualties or the scale of the devastation in London as a result of the 1944 German superbomb attack. It took a full generation after the end of the war for the city to be reconstructed.

The Royal Family survived outside of the city.

So that last bit is why the CP opposes Scottish independence post-SGW despite being advantageous to them in seeing the UK weakened and not having them rise against them ever again.

More or less that. The United States was also opposed to breaking up the United Kingdom after the end of the SGW for similar reasons.

What happened to the German and Austro-Hungarian concessions in China?

In TTL, they were occupied by the Japanese Empire in the First Great War, before being returned to the Germans and Austro-Hungarians in 1917. In 1941, the Japanese occupied these concessions again, and maintained control until the Fourth Pacific War.