Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

McPherson

Banned
I can just imagine the accident rates if such a tricky to fly plane saw such widespread service. As well as hear the navy bragging about how when the air force wants the job done they use a navy plane.
The Marines had good success. The FAA had good success. The USNAS had good success.

As for the underlined?

McDonnell_RF-4C_Phantom_II%2C_USA_-_Air_Force_AN0823214.jpg

File:McDonnell RF-4C Phantom II, USA - Air Force AN0823214 ...

McPherson

Banned
True but it could add fire to the flame. Honestly though I would love to see the 47 get more attention, even if the P-51 didn't come into being.
1. Kartvelli was good. Rex Beissel was better.

2. The National Defense Acts of 1920 and 1947 have always given me heartburn. Never mind what it did to the American Army (and still does), what it did to the air weapon of the United States has been atrocious.

1. Reconnaissance
2. Close Air Support
3. Battlefield Interdiction Mission
4. Strategic Bombardment
5. Air Defense
6. Logistics via air transport.

all imply use and denial of the air. That's MAHAN and that's NAVY.

Instead of six different air forces and countless duplications of planes and missions, the need was for one air force and a common set of missions. What works over an army works over a fleet and vice versa. The fleet is harder to do. (aircraft carriers) so if it works against enemy land based air from a carrier (Corsair or Phantom) it will work anywhere.

McPherson

Banned
In case of German victory in ww1 who is the top fighter designer? Fokker still? Do Messerschmitt, Heinkel and Tank still enter?
1. Messerschmidt is vastly overrated. He does nothing until about 1933.
2. Ernst Heinkel lied a lot about his WWI contributions. He does his effective work (for which he was well compensated) for the Japanese, starting in 1921. He will in fact stooge for the IJNAS through the 1920s and 1930s. He does his German work starting in 1933.
3. Kurt Tank does nothing until 1932. All three were associated with Albatros Flugzeugwerke. If one wanted to find compeers to Antony Fokker, one looks at Robert Thelen and Enno Walther Huth.

1. Messerschmidt is vastly overrated. He does nothing until about 1933.
2. Ernst Heinkel lied a lot about his WWI contributions. He does his effective work (for which he was well compensated) for the Japanese, starting in 1921. He will in fact stooge for the IJNAS through the 1920s and 1930s. He does his German work starting in 1933.
3. Kurt Tank does nothing until 1932. All three were associated with Albatros Flugzeugwerke. If one wanted to find compeers to Antony Fokker, one looks at Robert Thelen and Enno Walther Huth.
A bit hard for Tank to be a designer, when he was working as a pilot until 1932😋

Pretty hard to do after 1900, but before 1900 is pretty easy. [snip]
Nice outline, but I'd argue that a more European WWII would see the British Empire survive and transistion into the Commonwealth as the 3rd power just cos Britain would not be bankrupt, and India does not seem to be a 'British problem' here.

Nice outline, but I'd argue that a more European WWII would see the British Empire survive and transistion into the Commonwealth as the 3rd power just cos Britain would not be bankrupt, and India does not seem to be a 'British problem' here.
Still can be a Second Sino-Japanese War to exhaust both Japan and China and involve Britain in Burma, or a harsh Indian decolonisation/"Indian War of Independence", and Britain's enemies (be it France or Germany) in TTL's WWII can still make an utter mess in the Atlantic with submarines and aircraft and send lots of bombing raids against Britain.

McPherson

Banned
A bit hard for Tank to be a designer, when he was working as a pilot until 1932😋
:p Being a test pilot and apprenticing at Albatros Flugzeugwerke gave his products a pilot's perspective of how a plane should be laid out.

Rc9309829e7ecdb6e0bdb36e385636f3c

messerschmitt bf.109 me-109 german single-engined piston ...

That piece of work does not seem as pilot friendly...

Re0fb07932f48885b5cee6b734dc7372b
Fw 190A-3 (Werk Nr 0313). Faber's Fw 190A-3 now with ...

-Better visibility from the canopy.
-Wide splayed landing gear.
-power egg analog fuel-air mix, barometric determined aspiration, and supercharger control (FADAS)
-Tail does not rip off in a high gee turn.

Things a pilot, who designed planes might like to have, as opposed to a politician who built airplanes as a side hobby?

:p Being a test pilot and apprenticing at Albatros Flugzeugwerke gave his products a pilot's perspective of how a plane should be laid out.

-power egg analog fuel-air mix, barometric determined aspiration, and supercharger control (FADAS)

Things a pilot, who designed planes might like to have, as opposed to a politician who built airplanes as a side hobby?
Yeah FW easily built one if my favorite fighters of the war. Especially from a pilots perspective. Though the 109 makes sense from the perspective of getting the biggest engine into the smallest airframe possible. Not a lot of wiggle room for usability outside of the bare minimum.

So he did do something before 1932 😋

Deleted member 78540

Is there any way to keep the Philippines part of the United States after WW2?

Is there any way to keep the Philippines part of the United States after WW2?
A relatively risky idea, but how about considering elements of 1899 Constitution, as well as incorporating the structure of the American federal government itself, in an ATL version of Jones Law (the result would still be quite different, nonetheless, either as a protectorate or UN Trust Territory).

What if Japan did not attack USA (Maybe not even France/ UK) but the Soviets, and demanded to buy Arms in the USA arguing that Cash and Carry apply to them also.
Maybe even having peace with China or arguing that Arms will go against the soviets?​

(Gold provided by resmalted German gold supplied through u boats)​