These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

My half arsed attempt at making a meme on making a meme in that timeline LOL
Sorry for desecrating your work @/ComicAsh
1622384746264.png

Last edited:
I'm thinking that memes like those would be flagged by Connectr given the situation and the higher level of enforcement on the internet compared to OTL.
Although with the historical enmity between the Indians and the British, that meme might be fine by Indian standards.
Though, with such a stricter internet, would memes even be a thing?

I'm thinking that memes like those would be flagged by Connectr given the situation and the higher level of enforcement on the internet compared to OTL.
Although with the historical enmity between the Indians and the British, that meme might be fine by Indian standards.
Though, with such a stricter internet, would memes even be a thing?
1622387931813.png

I'm also interested in the state of memes in this TL as well. I think we should ask Ash, but given that Connectr is a British company, I don't think they'll give much of a toss about Bengali(or Indian) laws and regulations...
[not metagaming... meos is glorious open source fork of some AH Linux equivalent that the programmer in me made up in that TL]

Last edited:
I should apologise to Ash for weebposting in her thread, but I'm rather distracted by a question...
Is anime a thing?

Last edited:
There's been some discussion of this in the Discord- basically, emigre Japanese artists brought the fundamentals of what would become anime to British Hong Kong, where it became a style of animation associated with the production company British Pathé, which later became the generalized name for a style of animation broadly similar to what we would recognize as anime. So, basically, anime exists ittl and it's British and it's called "pathé".

How are you making these? Is there a connectr format somewhere that Ash has provided?
No... I made one myself, using one of her posts as a base on Photoshop...

There's been some discussion of this in the Discord- basically, emigre Japanese artists brought the fundamentals of what would become anime to British Hong Kong, where it became a style of animation associated with the production company British Pathé, which later became the generalized name for a style of animation broadly similar to what we would recognize as anime. So, basically, anime exists ittl and it's British and it's called "pathé".
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!!!
We own anime now!!!

You know, after seeing dozens of TLs pitting a saintly US against a grimdark Britain, it's refreshing to see a story that not only turns the concept on its head, but also plays with it a little. While TTL US is undeniably repressive and corrupt, the British Empire has just enough skeletons in its closet to avoid being Mary Sue-ish.
What are you talking about? If anything I see more TLs where America doesn't even exist and is under the control of a 'saintly' British forever-empire

What are you talking about? If anything I see more TLs where America doesn't even exist and is under the control of a 'saintly' British forever-empire
All I see are TLs where the US conquers Canada...
There are so many of them that I wonder if I should even move there 🇨🇦, lest I become a victim of the US going after Albertan oil...

So uh I haven't been on the forum and I come back to this. Amazing

(Also small side not that is basically irrelevant at this point but I noticed on the map that Charleston was the capitol of SC, but Columbia still exists. Columbia was made to be the capitol so either it got moved back or shouldn't exist. Either way Camden would probably be the big city in the midlands)

The brits even took anime :'(

The fact that these artists are choosing Hong Kong as the place to produce their works instead of their home country does raise questions about the state of Japan ITTL.

The fact that these artists are choosing Hong Kong as the place to produce their works instead of their home country does raise questions about the state of Japan ITTL.
I mean, the political map from earlier does show that the Japanese Empire still retains the Emperor in some position of power, suggesting that the conservative Showa era (or its equivalent ITTL) never quite met the same abrupt and traumatizing end it did OTL, and thus the more risqué plotlines and features in modern-day anime simply would not be able to exist. That being said, I would be interesting in seeing what other countries outside of the British Empire have in terms of animation. Does Argentina's own liberal politics lead to a flourishing animation industry to compete with Hong Kong's?

Oddly specific question(s): What characters are in the dominant character encoding(s)? (Is there one to rule all, or are there various incompatible standards?) Would it by 6-, 7- or 8-bit? Consider punctuation marks and currency symbols: \ | { } were mostly included in OTL ASCII for compatibility with certain programming languages, and ` ~ ^ for "international use", whereas ¼½¢ were omitted despitebeing on typewriter keyboards. I'd imagine that the pound sign would definitely be a mainstay instead of the dollar sign.