WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, PART II

If Sherman's planet is so important then why are you going Warp 3 to Vulcan, when you tell Terrell you are "Unfortunately, we’re 36 hours away at warp eight." Kirk? Warp 8 to Vulcan surely or 36 hours away at warp 3?
Commander Kyle - as in Kyle from the TV show? Nice bit part for his actor there.
So they are evac'ing civilians to the Yorktown, a ship still expected to go into combat? No transports or anything else they could try and escape on? Still there is the possibility that Decker's mum survives then...
"Decker: I fear for Delta IV, sir. Ilia’s home world...." Probably a good line to mention his Mum being on planet, give him more personal reasons?
Ok- the Decker/Illa conversation covers a lot of things, but I bet someone who reviews the film calls it 'soppy' and 'delaying the action.'
Captain Howard of the Yorktown is played by Clint Eastwood - most excellent casting there!
Who is playing Captain Terrell on Reliant btw?
Did Howard not fire as agreed when they jammed the Klingons?
Why did Spock shuttle to Enterprise if the transporters are working? Chekov could have easily met him in the Transporter room.
"Spock: Mr. Decker, the Klingons want Sherman’s Planet for their own purposes. Reducing the planet to lifelessness with an antimatter bomb would be an illogical course of action from their perspective." - yet they do it anyway, proving the Klingon illogical...
Captain’s log: Stardate 7315.2 = Sun Feb 02 2268 - going to be a Manic Monday....
"Uhura: The Reliant planted countermeasures into Klingon subspace communications, and stalled them for a very short time. About thirty seconds. I believe that we will be more effective than Reliant was.
Kirk: How so, Commander?
Spock: Perhaps Uhura can design a code..." Perhaps Uhura can answer for herself Spock? Kirk was asking her not you.
A song? I can recommend Beastie Boy's Sabotage.... :)
Kang- the only honourable one in this cabal...
You drop a transporter horror in here when Yorktown beams up someone already dying from the bomb?
The beam down to Sherman's Planet will be another 'get on with the action' criticism from the 'more action' trolls.
Who is playing Commander Branch? Would be a good spot for another Alien, perhaps an Andorian or a Tellerite done in movie quality SFX!
Like the last log, it does hint at the other battle going on, though a Starfleet victory would be nice somewhere in there.

Looking forward to Act III.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, PART II

If Sherman's planet is so important then why are you going Warp 3 to Vulcan, when you tell Terrell you are "Unfortunately, we’re 36 hours away at warp eight." Kirk? Warp 8 to Vulcan surely or 36 hours away at warp 3?
Commander Kyle - as in Kyle from the TV show? Nice bit part for his actor there.
So they are evac'ing civilians to the Yorktown, a ship still expected to go into combat? No transports or anything else they could try and escape on? Still there is the possibility that Decker's mum survives then...
"Decker: I fear for Delta IV, sir. Ilia’s home world...." Probably a good line to mention his Mum being on planet, give him more personal reasons?
Ok- the Decker/Illa conversation covers a lot of things, but I bet someone who reviews the film calls it 'soppy' and 'delaying the action.'
Captain Howard of the Yorktown is played by Clint Eastwood - most excellent casting there!
Who is playing Captain Terrell on Reliant btw?
Did Howard not fire as agreed when they jammed the Klingons?
Why did Spock shuttle to Enterprise if the transporters are working? Chekov could have easily met him in the Transporter room.
"Spock: Mr. Decker, the Klingons want Sherman’s Planet for their own purposes. Reducing the planet to lifelessness with an antimatter bomb would be an illogical course of action from their perspective." - yet they do it anyway, proving the Klingon illogical...
Captain’s log: Stardate 7315.2 = Sun Feb 02 2268 - going to be a Manic Monday....
"Uhura: The Reliant planted countermeasures into Klingon subspace communications, and stalled them for a very short time. About thirty seconds. I believe that we will be more effective than Reliant was.
Kirk: How so, Commander?
Spock: Perhaps Uhura can design a code..." Perhaps Uhura can answer for herself Spock? Kirk was asking her not you.
A song? I can recommend Beastie Boy's Sabotage.... :)
Kang- the only honourable one in this cabal...
You drop a transporter horror in here when Yorktown beams up someone already dying from the bomb?
The beam down to Sherman's Planet will be another 'get on with the action' criticism from the 'more action' trolls.
Who is playing Commander Branch? Would be a good spot for another Alien, perhaps an Andorian or a Tellerite done in movie quality SFX!
Like the last log, it does hint at the other battle going on, though a Starfleet victory would be nice somewhere in there.

Looking forward to Act III.
1. The warp factors are exactly what I meant. Vulcan is en route, but is a lot closer to Earth than Sherman's Planet. I mention in the Enterprise fly-by scene that the Enterprise can't go past warp 3 until Scotty works on the engines and does the tests. Scotty then determines that the ship can safely travel at warp 5, but it takes Spock to help Scotty fix the engines to a point where they can go at maximum speed.
2. Commander Kyle is played by British actor John Winston, just like TOS, and later TWOK. He actually gets a nice role here, because he deserves some credit for being in TOS.
3. Decker by that point has already mentioned his mom when they are on planet. I don't want the script to harp too much on this. Just a mention or two works I think.
4. Terrell is played by Paul Winfield, just like in Wrath of Khan IRL.
5. Spock wanted to make his grand entrance. Although we don't see a long, convoluted shuttle docking scene like IRL TMP.
6. I have to go back and add Howard's Yorktown firing on the Klingon ships. Nice catch. That's an easy fix.
7. The Klingons get desperate. They know Enterprise (or other Federation reinforcements) will arrive to even the odds, so Kor decides if I can't have the planet, you can't either...
8. There is a scenario where I could have Kang betray Kor. I haven't decided what I want to do with Kang yet. He was the most honorable Klingon enemy in TOS if you remember Day of the Dove.
9. No I don't want to add a transporter horror in there.
10. I want Kirk and company to beam to Sherman's Planet to get a view of the genocide. This is an important theme in the movie.
11. David Gautreaux plays Branch, just like IOTL. No reason to change him.
12. I want the log to depict the Klingons as defeating Starfleet because their ships are better and the Federation can't fully go after the Klingon weakness yet.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Part III
maxresdefault.jpg

And now, the conclusion.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, PART III

Kirk and Decker are in the turbolift.

Decker: The inspection is complete. Enterprise's systems are optimal.
Kirk: Good job, Decker.
Decker: Why isn't Starfleet sending more ships to this sector?
Kirk: They need most of the ships to defend other systems after the defeats at Archanis and Capella. The Klingons are threatening the Rigel and Berengarian systems. Starfleet has arranged its 150 heavy cruisers in concentric defensive rings to prevent a deep Klingon advance toward the core home worlds.
Decker: I see, sir. (they leave the turbolift)

On the Enterprise bridge.

Sulu: Approaching Epsilon Nine station. Outside the Delta system.
Spock: Sensors detect two other Federation vessels approaching the area; Yorktown and Reliant. Yorktown has sustained damage to its saucer section.
Kirk: Uhura, open a channel to the fleet.
Uhura: Channel open.
Kirk: Federation fleet. This is Admiral James T. Kirk. We are organizing here at Epsilon Nine to stop the Klingon advance. We will leave this conflict victorious. Defeat is not an option. The Klingons will destroy Delta IV and billions of Deltans if we fail. Kirk out.
Bones: Hell of a message, Jim.
Kirk: The stakes are high, Bones. Go to sickbay and get the medical team ready.
Bones: On my way, Jim.
Spock: Doctor, I wish you well.
Bones (grumbling): Why thank you, Spock.
Spock: It was only appropriate to wish you success, Doctor.
Bones: I just hope I don’t have to declare you dead, Spock.
Spock: That is always a possibility, Doctor.
Bones: As you say, there are always possibilities. (Bones goes on the turbolift).
Ilia: I just hope Doctor McCoy doesn’t have to announce any of the crew’s deaths.
Decker: Unfortunately, that’s not how this works, Ilia.
Kirk: If we keep on talking about death, we’ll all be dead. Stop talking about death, for goodness sakes!
Chekov: Russians wrote literature about death. Unfortunately, we were the best at it.
Spock: Tolstoy, War and Peace. Earth, nineteenth century.
Chekov: The longest book in human history.
Uhura: Reliant and Yorktown hailing us, sir.
Kirk: Kirk to Reliant and Yorktown.
Terrell: Terrell here.
Howard: Howard here.
Kirk: Where are the Klingons? I thought they were in pursuit? Did they break off?
Howard: We think they’re nearby. They cloaked about fifteen minutes ago.
Kirk: Did either of you detect energy readings nearby that would correspond with a cloaking device?
Terrell: Not in the immediate vicinity.
Kirk: Keep scanning. Once we find those cloak signatures, we fire first. Understood?
Howard: Yes, sir.
Kirk: Keep all transmissions on a secure channel. Godspeed to both of you. Kirk out. Spock, scan for energy surges in the vicinity.
Spock: Scanning. Five signatures detected entering close scanner range.
Sulu: Energy surges on the starboard bow.
Kirk: Fire phasers! (Enterprise, Reliant and Yorktown fire phasers on the decloaking Klingon vessels.

Cut to Klingon vessels.

Kroll (on the Klingon ship): My lord, three Federation heavy cruisers and a sentry post on scanners. They fired on us immediately.
Kor: Focus fire on the nacelles of the ship with four engines.
Kroll: Yes, my lord. (Klingon vessels fire on the Yorktown, and one of the warp nacelles explodes Yorktown is severely damaged in space, about to collide with Epsilon Nine).

Cut to Epsilon Nine.

Branch: Fire phasers and photon torpedoes (Epsilon Nine fires, but the Klingon vessels are lightly damaged.

Cut to Yorktown.

Howard: Damage report!
Yorktown lieutenant: One engine destroyed. Engineering reports a warp core breach is imminent. We are on a collision course with Epsilon Nine.
Howard: Abandon ship! Get to the escape pods. Get us out of range of the sentry post.
Yorktown lieutenant: Too late, sir. (Yorktown collides with Epsilon Nine and both are destroyed).

Enterprise bridge.

Spock: Yorktown has been destroyed, Admiral, along with Epsilon Nine. They failed to divert course in time.
Kirk: So it’s two against five again. We’re sitting ducks.
Sulu: Klingon battlecruisers coming about to starboard.
Kirk: Fire photon torpedoes at the nearest Klingon vessel.
Chekov: Photon torpedo bank one, away! (The Enterprise damages Korax’s ship).
Spock: Moderate damage to their shields, but they are still intact.
Kirk: Damnit.
Sulu: Klingons arming torpedoes.
Kirk: Hard to port!
Spock: Too late. (Enterprise takes a significant hit from the Klingon torpedoes. Explosions all over the bridge. Uhura is almost thrown off her seat by an explosion at the nearby console.)
Uhura: Ah!
Kirk: Uhura, are you alright!
Uhura: Aye, sir. The Klingons are hailing us. Their flagship is calling for a temporary truce.
Kirk: On screen.
Kor: Kirk, this is Kor. Surrender your vessel and the other ship in your fleet or be destroyed.
Kirk: Kor, you dishonorable scoundrel. I will never surrender to you. (Koloth appears on screen). Captain Koloth. So the Klingons brought their best.
Koloth: You are going to die well today, Kirk, along with the rest of the human p’takhs!
Kirk: If we die, you are all coming with us. All five Klingon vessels. I will make sure of it.
Kor: Kirk, I don’t think you can guarantee anything. We have you at our mercy. You will be destroyed once we close this channel.
Kirk: Don’t count on it.
Kor: There is no other possibility, Admiral. You have two ships, and we have five. You are certainly going to die. I hope your last words to your crew will be inspirational. Kor out.
Kirk: Well we know they are going to fire again. Uhura, do you have the code ready to transmit to the Klingon vessels?
Spock: It is the only possibility of survival.
Kirk: All five Klingon vessels are going to fire on the Enterprise. Ilia, you need to bring the Enterprise hard to port to avoid the incoming fire.
Ilia: Aye, sir.
Kirk: Uhura, is the code ready?
Uhura: Ready, sir.
Kirk: Sulu, Ilia, on my mark.

Cut to Klingon vessels.

Korax: This is a glorious day. We are about to destroy the Enterprise once and for all!
Kor: Arm torpedoes.
Korax: Torpedoes armed and ready, sir.
Kor: Fire! (in Klingon).

Back to the Enterprise.

Kirk: Now. Hard to port. Uhura, transmit code! (The Enterprise swings hard to port, and the Klingon fire misses. Reliant fires on Kroll’s ship from behind, disabling it.)
Uhura: Code transmitted, sir.

Cut to Klingon vessels.

A song plays. Oh on the starship Enterprise, there’s someone who’s in Satan’s guise. Whose devil ears and devil eyes, could rip your heart from you!
Kroll: What is this awful human song! Fire torpedoes!
Klingon officer: We can’t, sir.

Back on the Enterprise.

Kirk: Enterprise and Reliant, fire phasers! (Enterprise and Reliant fire, and part of Kroll’s ship explodes).
Kroll: So today is a good day to die.
Kirk: Fire. (Kroll’s ship explodes).

On Korax’s vessel.

Uhura’s song continues. At first his look could hypnotize, And then his touch would barbarize. His alien love could victimize, And rip your heart from you!
Korax: What is happening! Why can’t we fire! I thought Koloth’s ship fixed this!
Klingon officer 2: Enterprise is firing!

On the Enterprise.

Kirk: Fire photon torpedoes, Mr. Chekov.
Chekov: Photon torpedo bank two, away! (The Enterprise fires its torpedoes, and destroys one of the warp nacelles on Korax’s ship).
Korax: We are adrift in space! Ram the Enterprise! (Korax’s ship attempts to collide with the Enterprise).
Sulu: Klingon vessel attempting to fly right into us, sir.
Kirk: Ilia, down Z-1000 meters. Fire phasers.
Ilia: Aye sir, down Z-1000 meters. (The Enterprise moves below the Klingon vessel and fires its phasers, destroying it.
Decker: That’s two ships gone. Reliant firing on one of the three remaining Klingon vessels.
Kirk: Good job, Terrell.

On Kang’s vessel.

Kang: Return fire!
Klingon officer 3: We cannot, sir.
Kang: Move us out of firing range! We’ll be destroyed! (Kang’s ship retreats).
Terrell: Chase that battlecruiser and fire phasers and forward torpedoes. (Reliant fires and damages Kang’s ship).
Uhura’s song continues again. And that’s why female astronauts, oh very female astronauts, wait terrified and overwrought, to find what he will do, Oh girls in space be wary, be wary, be wary! Girls in space be wary, we know not what he’ll do. (Koloth’s ship is damaged, but the transmission ends).

On Koloth’s vessel.

Koloth: We have fixed our subspace communications. Wheel around to attack one of the Federation vessels.
(Koloth’s vessel swings around to attack Reliant from behind).
Decker: We have to cover Terrell!
Kirk: Sulu, one-third impulse power. Pursue that Klingon vessel. (Kor and Kang are still disabled).

Kang communicates with Kor.

Kang: We still cannot remove this code from our computer systems, my lord.
Kor: That Kirk is a dishonorable little devil.
Kang: Koloth is fighting both Federation starships.
Kor: Koloth will be a hero to the Klingon people, but he will die.
Koloth: I was successfully able to remove the code from our ship. Transmitting countermeasures now.
Kor: A welcome development. Hold off those two vessels, Koloth.
Koloth: Yes, my lord.

Koloth’s ship is behind Reliant, ready to strike.

Koloth: Fire (in Klingon). (Koloth’s ship fires, and Reliant takes a hit on its warp coil.
Terrell (with Reliant shaking): That took a lot out of us.
Kyle: Warp coil damaged, front photon torpedo launcher out. Phasers at 40% capacity.
Terrell: The two other Klingon vessels are approaching again!

Enterprise enters the screen, aside Koloth’s vessel.

Chekov: Target acquired, Admiral. Aiming for front torpedo bay.
Sulu: Course at two-six-five, mark one.
Kirk: Fire phasers. (Enterprise fires its phasers, which sever the front of Koloth’s ship. Koloth’s ship is fatally damaged). Good shooting, Mr. Chekov.
Chekov: Thank you, Admiral.
Decker: Chekov is the best tactical officer in the fleet. Glad he’s serving with us.

Koloth’s ship attempts to ram Reliant.

Koloth: Set course directly for that Federation ship.
Kyle: Klingon battlecruiser attempting to ram us!
Terrell: Fire remaining phaser banks. (Reliant fires phasers, but Koloth’s vessel maintains course). Hard to starboard! (Reliant attempts to turn from Koloth’s vessel).

On the Enterprise.

Spock: Klingon vessel attempting to destroy Reliant with a collision maneuver.
Kirk: Fire photon torpedoes. Tell Reliant to go to full impulse power.
Spock: Transmitting. Reliant accelerating to full impulse power.
Chekov: Photon torpedos fired, sir. (Koloth’s ship takes a direct hit).
Koloth: Kirk, you Denebian slime devil! (Koloth’s ship explodes).
Kirk: Direct Reliant to engage face to face with the two remaining Klingon battlecruisers.
Spock: Reliant confirms.
Kirk: Uhura, open hailing frequencies to Klingon flagship.
Uhura: Hailing frequencies open, sir.
Kirk: Kor, you were acting like a bully with five ships. You aren’t acting so tough now, coward.
Kor: You human scum. How dare you trick us that way!
Kirk: Kor, I assure you that we only play fair. My communications officer gave you a transmission you couldn’t refuse. Now surrender your vessels or be destroyed.
Kor: This isn’t over yet, Kirk. We Klingons will fight to the last man!
Kirk: Oh, I’m sure of that. Either you unconditionally surrender now, or you will lose every last man.
Kor: End this transmission, now! (Kor closes the channel).
Sulu: Klingon vessels arming torpedoes.
Kor: Fire all torpedo banks! (Kor’s vessel fires at Enterprise, and breaches her hull and engineering section. Sparks fly all over the bridge).
Kirk: Scotty, how badly are we hurt!
Scotty: Shields failing, Admiral. Phaser banks are shorted out! (A panel explodes, and Scott holds his hand in pain, revealing his missing middle finger on his right hand).
Kirk: Mr. Scott, are you alright!
Scotty: Heavy casualties down here, Admiral! We were lucky to avoid a warp core breach. The Klingons gave us one hell of a wallop.
Kirk: Get the casualties to sickbay, now, Mr. Scott.
Scotty: Aye, sir.

Klingons board the Enterprise.

Computer: Intruder alert.
Spock: Klingons boarding the Enterprise, sir. Engineering section.
Kirk: Decker, lead security forces down to engineering.
Decker: Aye, sir.
Ilia: Take care of yourself, Will.
Decker: I’m pretty good at this. Don’t worry. (Decker, armed with a phaser, leaves the bridge).

A firefight breaks out in engineering.

Scotty: Scott to bridge. We’re being overrun down here! Where are the security teams! (phasers firing in the distance. One beam just misses Scotty).
Kirk: Captain Decker is on his way.
Scotty: I don’t know how long we’ll hold out here, Admiral! If a phaser blast hits the warp core, it could cause an antimatter containment breach! (Scotty fires his phaser, killing a Klingon. Decker arrives in engineering. Klingon troops defeat several Starfleet officers in melee combat, stabbing them).
Decker: The cavalry has arrived, Scotty.
Scotty: Not a moment too soon. (Scotty and Decker fire their phasers, killing several Klingons).
Decker: Cover my advance. I’m going to clear the engineering section so the Klingons can’t get to the warp drive.
Scotty: Covering you, Decker. (Decker advances in the engineering section, killing six more Klingons with his phaser. Scotty kills another two, while Decker’s security team finishes the job, although they take five more casualties from Klingons in hand-to-hand combat).

Cut to the Enterprise bridge.

Kirk: Kirk to engineering. What’s the situation down there!
Scotty: Captain Decker and his security teams eliminated the Klingon threat.
Decker: Like I told Scotty, I’m pretty good at this part of the job.
Kirk: Excellent work, Decker. (Klingons start beaming on the Enterprise bridge).
Chekov: Intruder alert. Klingons on the bridge!
Kirk: Phasers on stun. (Kirk phasers two Klingons. A Klingon attempts to hit Uhura, but Spock performs the Vulcan nerve pinch).
Uhura: I’m glad Vulcans know how to do that, Spock.
Spock: Perhaps I will teach you at some point in the future, Miss Uhura. (Spock nerve pinches a second Klingon and throws the final Klingon intruder hard into the turbolift door,
killing him).
Kirk: Mr. Spock, I haven’t seen you throw someone around like that in years!
Spock: It is part of my training, Admiral, just like it is for all Starfeet officers.
Kirk: Of which you’re the best of them all, Spock. Kirk to sickbay, How is the casualty situation.
Bones: We’ve got moderate casualties. Phaser burns, coolant leak burns. Ten dead, another twenty wounded.
Kirk: Bones, make sure we can get every last person who is able back on duty.
Bones: I’m doing my best down here, Admiral, with Chapel. It’s getting kind of crowded in sickbay.
Kirk: Kirk out. Scotty, how are the phaser banks and shields?
Scotty: I can give you a few phaser bursts, but they won’t damage the Klingons much. (Decker returns to the bridge and hugs Ilia).
Decker: The Klingons were no match for us.
Kirk: Unfortunately, we don’t have phasers right now, so we’re going to have to take a similar course of action to the Klingons.
Decker: Board Kor’s ship?
Kirk: I’ll need you, Sulu and Chekov to come with me. Spock, you’re in command. Ensure the Enterprise remains out of range of Klingon attacks until we get our phasers back online.
Spock: I will ensure that the Klingons remain apprised of our threat.
Decker: You mean, play chicken.
Spock: A human colloquialism, I believe.
Decker: It would definitely count as one, Spock.
Spock: Humans have strange terms for certain aspects of existence.
Decker: Aren’t you half human?
Spock: That is correct, but I am a Vulcan first.
Kirk: We don’t have time for this. Sulu, Decker, Chekov, come with me.
Sulu: Klingon vessels entering warp, sir.
Kirk: Where are they going?
Sulu: Course three-five-two mark eight, sir.
Ilia: Delta IV.
Kirk: Uhura, patch in Reliant.
Uhura: You’re on, Admiral.
Kirk: Terrell, we have to pursue the Klingon vessels. They are headed to Delta IV to deploy that weapon.
Terrell: Will do, sir.
Kirk: Warp factor eight, Mr. Sulu. Give me everything this ship has.
Sulu: Warp factor eight, sir. (Enterprise and Reliant warp).

Klingon vessels approach Delta IV.

Kang: Orbiting Delta IV, my lord.
Kor: My vessel is preparing the neutronium bomb.

The Enterprise and Reliant approach Delta IV.

Kirk: Spock, scan the Klingon vessels.
Spock: Scanning. An energy of enormous power emanating from the flagship. Neutronium energy.
Decker: It’s the neutronium bomb. They’re going to fire on Delta IV.
Ilia: No!
Kirk: Kirk to Reliant.
Kirk: Fire everything you have at the Klingon flagship.
Terrell: We don’t have much.
Kirk: It will have to do. Fire phasers. (Enterprise and Reliant fire phasers on Kor’s vessel, severely damaging it. Sparks fly all over Kor’s ship).

Cut to Klingon vessels.

Kor: Kirk, that Regulan bloodworm.
Kang: Kor’s ship has taken direct phaser fire. Shields down. We must cover for him. Fire on the Federation vessels. (Kang’s ship fires disruptors at the Enterprise and the Reliant, and both take hits).

Returning to the Enterprise.

Kirk: Fire on remaining Klingon battlecruiser.
Chekov: Aye sir. (Enterprise fires, but Chekov’s station shorts out. Kang’s ship is severely damaged by the Enterprise’s phasers).
Kirk: What happened to the phasers.
Chekov: They’re completely spent. Burned out, sir.
Spock: The Enterprise’s phaser system has reached its operational limit sir. The phaser power is channeled through the warp engines, which are currently recharging.
Kirk: Kirk to engineering.
Scott: Scott here.
Kirk: How much time until you have the phasers back?
Scott: Two hours, sir.
Kirk: We don’t have two hours! Kor is going to fire a bomb at Delta IV that will kill the entire population. We need the phasers now!
Scott: I’ll give you all she’s got, Admiral. (Another computer bank shorts out). Tractor beam is out, sir.
Kirk: Kirk to Terrell.
Kirk: What is the condition of your weapons systems?
Terrell: We are in the same situation as you. Phasers virtually out, down to two photon torpedoes.
Kirk: Make them count. Fire one at each Klingon vessel. We’re out of torpedoes here as well.
Terrell: Yes, sir. Fire one torpedo at each enemy ship.
Kyle: Firing. (Reliant fires one torpedo at Kang’s ship, destroying one of its warp nacelles. It fires the other torpedo at Kor’s ship, hitting its underside).
Kang: We’re floating, dead in space. So this is how it ends. (Kang looks at a picture of Mara). I will see you in Stovokor, my love. (Kang is beamed off the Klingon ship by the Enterprise, where he is apprehended by Scotty with a phaser.

Kang’s ship explodes. Return to the Enterprise.

Scotty: One of the Klingon commanders is in custody.
Kirk: What is the condition of the final Klingon vessel?
Spock: Severely damaged, Admiral. If I remember my Klingon tactics correctly, she will attempt to fly into the planet and cause as much damage as possible to the surface.
Kirk: With the neutronium bomb. Decker, Sulu, Chekov, the three of you are with me. We are boarding the Klingon vessel. Chekov, bring explosives. We must destroy that vessel before it enters the Deltan atmosphere. Spock, you have the conn. Ensure that our Klingon captive remains in the brig.
Spock: Best of luck on your mission, Admiral.
Kirk: We’ll need it.

Kirk, Decker, Sulu and Chekov are in the transporter room.

Kirk: Sulu, you will come with me to apprehend Kor. Decker, you and Chekov will set the explosives in the Klingon warp core.
Sulu: Aye, sir.
Decker, Chekov: Aye, sir.
Kirk: Mr. Scott, energize.

Kirk, Decker, Sulu and Chekov beam aboard Kor’s vessel and face heavy enemy fire.

Kirk: Sulu, get out in front and clear the path.
Sulu: Yes, sir. (Sulu kills a couple of Klingons with his phaser, and Kirk takes out a couple more).
Kirk: Decker, Chekov, find the engine room.
Decker: On our way.

Decker and Chekov find the engine room.

Decker: The warp engine is here. Pavel, trigger the explosives for five minutes. We’ll then beam back to the Enterprise. (Decker is shot by a Klingon disruptor, then stabbed by a Klingon, who Chekov phasers).
Chekov: Decker!
Decker (weakly): Don’t worry about me, Pavel. Set the explosives. (Chekov sets the explosives for five minutes, then fires on several Klingons with his phaser. Decker takes another disruptor shot to his stomach but continues fighting until he falls unconscious. Chekov successfully defends the position for a minute and clears the corridor of Klingons).

On the Enterprise bridge.

Ilia: Will!
Spock: Ilia, remain at your station.
Ilia: Will is dying.
Spock: Concentrate on your mission, Lieutenant.
Ilia: Yes, sir.

Kirk and Sulu reach the bridge and find Kor with his Klingon crew.

Kirk: It’s over, Kor. Give it up. You’ve lost.
Kor: Klingons might die, but we never lose. Set a course to crash land on the planet.
Sulu: Not so fast, Kor. (Sulu throws Kor over the chair with a judo flip. Kirk fires phasers on the remaining three Klingon officers).
Kirk: Where are the helm controls on this vessel.
Sulu: Here, Admiral.
Kirk: Set a course away from Delta IV.
Kor: I’m not done yet, Admiral Kirk. (Kor hits Sulu before he is able to steer the Klingon ship. Sulu is temporarily knocked out. A one-minute fight scene breaks out between Kirk and Kor. Several punches are exchanged. Sulu gets up and attempts to throw Kor again, but is stabbed in the shoulder. Kirk prevails by placing Kor in a chokehold, while Sulu throws an elbow at Kor's head, breaking his nose).
Kirk: You’re coming back to the Enterprise with me, Kor. (Kirk stuns Kor with his phaser). Sulu, are you alright.
Kirk: Get this vessel out of orbit, away from Delta IV.
Sulu: Aye, sir. (The Klingon vessel leaves Delta IV’s orbit, and moves away from the planet).
Kirk: Let’s find Decker and Chekov.

Kirk and Sulu find a wounded Chekov and a fatally wounded Decker.

Kirk: How is Decker?
Chekov: Barely alive, sir.
Kirk: Kirk to Enterprise. Five to beam up.
Scotty: Transporter beam energizing now, Admiral.

Kirk, Sulu, an injured Chekov, a nearly dead Decker, and an unconscious Kor are beamed aboard the Enterprise. Kor’s vessel explodes.

Kirk: Medics, get Decker and Chekov to sickbay, now!
Chapel: Yes, Admiral. We’re moving them as fast as we can. (Decker and Chekov are carted to sickbay).
Kirk: Sulu, place Kor in the brig with Kang.
Kirk: Kirk to bridge.
Spock: Spock here.
Kirk: Report to Starfleet Command and Delta IV: Klingon fleet destroyed, Klingon commanders in custody.
Spock: Transmitting now, Admiral.

Cut to sickbay. Bones is treating Decker and Chekov. The entire bridge crew is in sickbay, except for Sulu, who is at the conn.

Bones: Chekov’s got a head wound and a stomach wound, but he’ll pull through. Chapel, take care of Chekov.
Chapel: Yes, Doctor. Chekov is in pretty bad shape.
Bones: I’m going to do my best to save Captain Decker, but I’m not optimistic. He suffered some grave injuries, and it’s a miracle he’s still alive. He has internal bleeding all over his abdominal area, two ruptured blood vessels in the brain, and two spinal fractures.
Ilia: Please save Will!
Bones: I’ll do my best, but I fear he may not survive.
Ilia: No, Doctor!
Bones: If you interrupt me one more time, Lieutenant, I’ll throw you out of my sickbay. Understood?
Spock: Listen to the doctor and give him a chance to save your husband’s life, Lieutenant.
Bones: First, I have to stabilize the brain. (Bones places an object on Decker’s skull). Come on, Will.
Decker: Doctor, let me talk to Ilia.
Bones: You don’t have the strength.
Decker: Even if you save me, I’ll be paralyzed for life. Let me talk to Ilia.
Bones: You’ll die if I don’t save you immediately, Decker!
Decker: Doctor, this is for the best..
Ilia: Will! (crying).
Decker: Everything will be OK, Ilia. We saved Delta IV. (gasping)
Ilia: What about our child, Will?
Decker: You’ll have our child on Delta IV. (barely breathing).
Ilia: I can’t live without you, Will! Let the doctor save your life!
Decker: I won’t be the same Will Decker. Let me go, Ilia.
Ilia: I can’t, Will.
Decker: Ilia, I’ll always love you. We’ll always remember our first night together.
Ilia: On Delta IV, in the bright moonlight. I will never forget. We’ll always have that first night together.
Decker: You’ll make sure I live on. Goodbye, Ilia. (Decker dies, and Ilia kisses him).
Bones: He’s gone.
Ilia: No! (Ilia wails, laying on Decker’s dead body). Why couldn’t you save him! (pounds Bones’ chest with her fists).
Bones: Will would have lived in constant pain for the rest of his life, Ilia. He wanted to die. He’s no longer in pain.
Ilia: Why did my husband have to die, Admiral!
Kirk: He died to ensure all the Deltans would live, Ilia. It’s never easy. (Kirk tries to hug Ilia, but she refuses).
Spock: There is life after death in both the Vulcan and Deltan cultures, and a belief that life exists after death among some humans, Lieutenant.
Ilia: Yes, Mr. Spock. (Ilia calms down in Spock’s presence).
Spock: Your best course of action is the following: Resign your Starfleet commission and raise your unborn child on Delta IV.
Ilia (still emotional, although no longer crying): I understand, sir.
Spock: You must be brave, Lieutenant. You performed your duties admirably in a time of great crisis, and saved your people. The Enterprise crew will feel your loss.
Ilia: Mr. Spock, you have given me great comfort in this time of grief.
Spock: My services are always available, Lieutenant.
Ilia: I am grateful for you, Spock. (Ilia walks away).

Kirk, Spock and McCoy confront Kor and Kang in the brig.

Kor: So there’s the human lowlife himself, Admiral Kirk.
Kirk: Some talk coming from a Klingon who orchestrated genocide. (Kirk throws Kor against the wall with both hands and holds him with both hands near Kor’s neck. Kang tries to intervene but Spock gets between them). I should kill both of you right now.
Spock: Killing them would be illogical, Admiral. They would be martyrs to the Klingon people.
Bones: What do you think we should do, Spock? Put them on trial? We should never have saved them.
Spock: The Klingons view death as a matter of salvation, Doctor. Trying them for their crimes would be a greater humiliation.
Bones: I suppose so, Spock.
Spock: The action of destroying Sherman’s Planet was illogical and resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands. Why did you take that course of action?
Kor: If the Klingons could not have the planet, the Federation could not have it either.
Kirk: So you destroyed the planet to save it. That is barbarous, shameful behavior, from a species that talks so much about honor.
Kor: Your Federation has no honor, stealing Klingon star systems using the intergalactic council.
Kirk: Diplomacy is always preferable to war, Kor. Shame you Klingons aren’t very good at it. Spock, ensure they remain confined until we reach Altair VI.
Spock: Yes, Admiral.
Uhura (over the intercom): A message from the Klingon High Council. Admiral.
Kirk: Send it to me, Commander.
Uhura: The Klingons are withdrawing from the Archanis and Capella sectors. Federation reinforcements arrived and used the vulnerability we discovered in their systems. The Klingon High Council is calling for a truce, fearing a Federation counterattack.
Kirk: So the war is over.
Bones: Not a moment too soon.

On Delta IV, the Enterprise crew buries Decker. Ilia is wearing a black dress.

Kirk: Captain Decker will be laid to rest with the highest honors bestowed by Starfleet and the Deltan High Council. Starfleet awards Captain Decker with the Starfleet Medal of Honor, for saving the planet Delta IV from complete destruction. The Deltan High Council awards Captain Decker with the First Order of Delta, reserved for this planet’s most esteemed heroes. Captain Decker is the first human to be honored in this fashion by the Deltan High Council. We grieve Will’s loss, but we grieve most for Lieutenant Ilia. She will carry Captain Decker’s memory. Captain Decker lives on in Ilia’s unborn child.
Sulu: Order, arms! (Decker’s casket is laid to rest in the Deltan Hall of Heroes. Funeral music plays).

Cut to Altair VI. The Intergalactic Council of Peace convenes.

Sarek: We convene this meeting of the council to punish the Klingon Empire for violating the terms of the council. By engaging in war with the Federation, the Klingon Empire has committed genocide against Federation civilians, and almost committed a second genocide against the citizens of Delta IV. Kor, Kang, how do you plead?
Kor: Not guilty, you Vulcan puppet.
Sarek: So be it. Kor and Kang will be transported to Earth to stand trial in front of the Federation High Council. Your fate will be determined there. (Kor and Kang are escorted away, in handcuffs).
Gavin: The council has determined the following: the Klingon Empire, having started a war of aggression against the Federation, will lose five light years of territory around Sherman’s Planet, The Klingon Empire will dismantle its military bases along the Neutral Zone in the Sherman sector. Additionally, the Klingon Empire is responsible for repairing the environmental disaster caused by the neutronium bomb.
Kamarag: There will never be peace, with the Federation controlling the Council.
Sarek: The terms outlined by this council are final, Kamarag.

Kirk and Spock meet Sarek and Gavin at the Council.

Spock: Father, why didn’t Sherman’s Planet remain a shared territory between the Klingon Empire and the Federation? War would have been avoided in that scenario.
Sarek: The Klingon Empire wanted a vote to control the planet. They were aggrieved by defeats in the votes to acquire the Archanis and Capella systems.
Spock: So war was unavoidable?
Sarek: The Klingons believed so.
Kirk: The Klingons killed a lot of innocent civilians. I’m not sure we really won the war.
Gavin: We pushed the Klingons out of the Sherman sector, and gained more territory. You don’t call that a win?
Kirk: The constant state of hostility between the Klingon Empire and the Federation is a losing scenario for both peoples, Ambassador. Eventually, we’ll push the Klingons too far, and we’ll pay a far greater price.
Gavin: The Klingons are only permitted on Sherman’s Planet in the effort to clean up the damage, but they won’t do it. I’m certain of it.
Kirk: What cleanup? Half a million Federation citizens? We paid dearly for these diplomatic shenanigans, Ambassador.
Spock: Admiral Kirk is correct, Ambassador.
Gavin: The Federation Council has approved the development of a terraforming device which will be used to instantly repair the damage done to Sherman’s Planet. We expect to have the project completed in three years.
Kirk: I’m sure that will cause more anger in the Klingon Empire. They’ll think we’re developing a weapon of mass destruction.
Gavin: The project will remain secret. Starfleet’s best scientists will commence work on the terraforming device immediately upon this council’s adjournment.
Kirk: I’m afraid we’re just creating another crisis. Everyone in the galaxy is going to want that device.
Gavin: I understand, Admiral, but we must repair Sherman’s Planet.
Spock: I believe this action is illogical. We will be unleashing more disaster on the galaxy, but the Federation Council will do what it wants, I gather.
Kirk: Well I guess our time together has come to an end. Sarek, Gavin, Spock and I bid both of you farewell.
Sarek: Best wishes, Admiral Kirk. Live long and prosper, my son.
Spock: Farewell, father. Live long and prosper.
Gavin: You saved the galaxy again, Admiral.
Kirk: I guess it’s a habit of mine.

Back on the Enterprise.

Sulu: Leaving Altair VI orbit, Admiral. Repairs are complete.
Kirk: I want to take some shore leave. What does everyone think about that?
Spock: I will travel to Delta IV to counsel Ilia, Admiral.
Bones: Spock, nobody knew you to be the sensitive type.
Spock: Ilia is in grief after Captain Decker’s death, Doctor. The lieutenant and I have established a friendship. It is difficult for humans to understand.
Bones: No Spock, you’re just becoming more human every day.
Spock: Are you insulting me, Doctor?
Bones: No, I’m just pointing out a matter of fact.
Spock: Fascinating.
Sulu: Course heading, Admiral?
Kirk: Delta IV, Mr. Sulu. Warp factor two.

Kirk: Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission, to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before.

MUSIC AND END CREDITS

Last edited:
Well deserved that was awesome thank you.
Thanks! The next update, whenever I get to it, is going to be reaction from the movie. So we'll hear from Siskel and Ebert ITTL, the fans, Gene Roddenberry, the actors, and perhaps the Paramount studio execs who will be swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck

The next update is likely to be tomorrow, probably in the morning where I live. I needed the day off from writing so much...

I will write a longer review of Pt III soon, but my main criticism of it was that it felt out of place for Starfleet to only beam off the Klingon commanders and not try and save any of the regular crew, esp given Enterprise's transport capability. Also how did they target one particular person?

Better to beam as many as possible to holding facilities and then separate the officers.

Also Starfleet seem to be very easily killing Klingons here- these people are built up as Warriors, but seem to do VERY badly in an actual fight. Kirk taking down Kor like that too- back in TV period maybe, but older Kirk? It should be more of struggle and perhaps only won by ingenuity/trickery not cos Kirk can out wrestle/box him. Sure Starfleet security crew probably go down all over, and we lose Decker, but perhaps some more named folk should get injured?

I will write a longer review of Pt III soon, but my main criticism of it was that it felt out of place for Starfleet to only beam off the Klingon commanders and not try and save any of the regular crew, esp given Enterprise's transport capability. Also how did they target one particular person?

Better to beam as many as possible to holding facilities and then separate the officers.

Also Starfleet seem to be very easily killing Klingons here- these people are built up as Warriors, but seem to do VERY badly in an actual fight. Kirk taking down Kor like that too- back in TV period maybe, but older Kirk? It should be more of struggle and perhaps only won by ingenuity/trickery not cos Kirk can out wrestle/box him. Sure Starfleet security crew probably go down all over, and we lose Decker, but perhaps some more named folk should get injured?
The Klingons committed genocide against a Federation planet, so Kirk is only interested in apprehending the commanders for trial. The rest of the Klingons are going to Stovokor...

Why wouldn't Starfleet officers win a firefight with the Klingons? The Klingons are good at hand to hand combat but that's balanced off by Starfleet officers being better marksmen with their phasers. Kirk outfought Kruge in ST III when he is six years older than he is now, so why can't he fight off Kor? Kirk needs Sulu to take on Kor. It's Kirk and Sulu vs. Kor and Kirk barely wins.

Chekov and Sulu almost get killed. Chekov almost dies in the firefight where Decker dies, and Sulu is knocked out by Kor. A console explodes next to Uhura so she almost gets killed too. A Klingon is about to kill Uhura on the bridge before Spock applies the nerve pinch. Scotty is overwhelmed fighting Klingons boarding the Enterprise until Decker arrives. Yorktown and Epsilon Nine are destroyed so there are quite a number of Starfleet deaths. I could seriously injure Sulu as well (say Kor stabs him but he survives)

Remember what Quark said in DS9 about humans in combat: Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, Nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people, as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people... will become as nasty and as violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces. Look in their eyes.

Last edited:

Looking forward to the review. If there's something that you bring up that I think is a much better idea than what I came up with, of course I can make changes. It was only a first draft

There’s one short scene I completely forgot to include in the third act. I have to include it before I write the next update. It’s a scene where Kirk, Spock and Bones confront Kor in the brig just before the end. Without it the story isn’t capped properly.

I’m interested to see Ogrebear’s thoughts

Last edited:
Chapter 129: Reaction to Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Of course, with any movie, comes the reaction and critical reception. So to start us off today, Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert provide their take on Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

spot_1.jpg

SNEAK PREVIEWS WITH ROGER EBERT AND GENE SISKEL

Siskel: Good evening to Sneak Previews. The highly awaited premiere of Star Trek: The Motion Picture will be one of four movies we preview on tonight's program. Sitting across from me is Roger Ebert, film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times.
Ebert: And this is Gene Siskel, film critic for the Chicago Tribune.
Siskel: Before we begin, I must confess that I was not a fan of the Star Trek television series. but I found this picture to be captivating. This movie had virtually everything you want: a love story, a serious conflict, many thematic elements, and state of the art special effects. Here we see the evil Klingons, the adversary of the human-led Federation, destroying a space station. (clip plays).
Ebert: I was a fan of the television series, and I agree. What made Star Trek such a classic series was the characterizations. The writers nailed Captain, now Admiral Kirk, portrayed brilliantly by William Shatner. (clip plays of Shatner talking to DeForest Kelley at the wedding table).
Siskel: In the movie, two characters get married. A human captain, Willard Decker, marries a bald female alien, Ilia. (clip plays). I didn't know these characters existed in the television series, Roger.
Ebert: I believe that Decker was a replacement for Spock in the show's final season. He's played beautifully by Tom Selleck, who is an action star in the making. He is going to be a leading face of Hollywood, either in the movies or on television.
Siskel: No doubt about that, Roger. Selleck is on his way to stardom. Here, the newly married couple contemplates what will happen to them as the war begins. (clip plays of Decker and Ilia in Decker's quarters).
Ebert: It's hard to have so many characters in a film, but they integrated these two incredibly well. I also like that all the secondary characters had significant roles to play, especially Commander Uhura.
Siskel: I always thought Uhura was a lieutenant.
Ebert: She got promoted to commander, just like Kirk got promoted to admiral.
Siskel: It's sometimes hard to keep up with the ranks.
Ebert: Anyway, the Enterprise runs into the Klingons and of course, there is some serious combat. The special effects were marvelous, especially during the battle scenes.
Siskel: What I liked most about this movie was its realism. Unlike Star Wars, this was hard science fiction. The Klingons had a reason to go to war. Their territory was being slowly claimed by the Federation (clip plays of first council of peace scene).
Ebert: I liked this movie's heart. At the end, there was an anti-war message, despite the movie depicting a galactic war. That was another major difference from Star Wars. We saw the brutality of war in this movie. People die in horrifying fashion, which is what happens in war. We never saw the Alderaan citizens die in Star Wars. We only felt them through Obi-Wan Kenobi's power of the Force. And for that reason, I give Star Trek a thumbs up.
Siskel: I also give it a thumbs up. Non-Trekkies...
Ebert: They're Trekkers, Gene.
Siskel: OK, the audience who does not watch Star Trek will also love this movie.
Ebert: Two thumbs up for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. We expect this picture to be up for several Academy Awards when the nominations are announced early next year, especially in the special effects and design categories. William Shatner could also receive recognition from the Academy for his performance as Kirk.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE WAS THE MOVIE WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

Starlog, December 1978

When I went to see Star Trek with my friends at the theater, we knew about the rumors of a Federation-Klingon war, unlike most of the audience. We were not disappointed. This movie had the cinema fans out of our seats, cheering, booing, and even shedding a tear or two. It was like watching Star Wars last year, but Star Trek developed a very complex, engrossing story for us. We cheered when we saw the refitted Enterprise for the first time. We cheered when Spock boarded the Enterprise and helped her and the rest of the crew run smoothly. And that third act, wow! We were standing up, whooping and hollering, for most of the battle with the Klingons. The crowd exploded in cheers every time the Enterprise and her partner in battle, the Reliant, destroyed a Klingon battlecruiser. We especially liked it when Korax bit the dust. How dare he try to ram the Enterprise! But despite all our love for this movie, there was also some sadness. We saw the reality of war. A wedding between two of the newer cast members, Will Decker (Tom Selleck) and Ilia (Persis Khambatta) was ruined by war. Ilia lost the love of her life, which touched many female fans in the audience. I saw several young women cry with Ilia when Decker died. The experience of a loved one not returning from war was impactful, especially to older fans who lived through this in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. It was the most emotional part of the movie. Our heroes won their fight against the Klingons, but they paid a very heavy price to do so. I expect the American audience to watch this movie multiple times in the theater, just like Star Wars.

RODDENBERRY: THE NEXT TREK FEATURE WILL NOT BE A WAR FILM

November 20, 1978

Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek, was extremely pleased that his movie, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, looks set to break box office records. However, he was a little sad that he had to create a movie with significant war to do so. "I felt like I sold out Star Trek for the almighty dollar," Roddenberry said. "Star Trek is supposed to be about peaceful exploration of the galaxy. I have another script that will only have a short battle, but will be similar to City on the Edge of Forever, where Kirk and Spock have to stop a crazed Dr. McCoy from changing history." Roddenberry, a World War II veteran, ensured that the war depicted in the movie would be as realistic as possible, but in a future setting. "War is hell," Roddenberry said. "I know. I served in a war, saw buddies of mine die and never come back home, and it's absolutely awful. There were times when I was flying bombers in the Pacific where I thought I'd never come back home," Roddenberry said, barely holding back tears. "That's why I was upset with Paramount when they wanted me to make a war film as the first Star Trek feature. "I did it, but I wasn't happy about it," Roddenberry told Variety. "I'm going to have more creative control over the next movie, and if Paramount doesn't give me that, I will refuse to participate in the sequel."

SHATNER: OSCAR BUZZ WON'T CHANGE ME

November 22, 1978

William Shatner is receiving a major push from Star Trek fans to receive recognition from the Academy for his performance as Admiral Kirk in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. A petition with thousands of signatures has already been created demanding that Shatner receive an Academy Award nomination at next year's awards, to take place next April. Shatner was thrilled with the fan response to the movie. "It appears that audiences love what we put together, and will see this movie many times over," Shatner said. "I'm glad that we were able to produce such a thrilling movie for them. They deserved it, after seven years of waiting to see their heroes back on screen, in live action." Shatner said that the push to secure a nomination for Best Actor at the 1979 Academy Awards won't change him, although he admitted that he'd like to win an Oscar at some point. "Leonard [Nimoy] won an Oscar, Dee [DeForest Kelley] won an Emmy, and I haven't won any awards yet, despite being the main star. I would like to join them and win a major honor, and if the Star Trek fans influence the Academy, that's fine by me. Keep on telling the Academy that William Shatner should win an Oscar." Shatner says that the relationship with his co-stars remains excellent. "I mended a lot of fences with them after my behavior when we made the television series," Shatner said. "They didn't like some of my practical jokes, so I decided not to play pranks. But Jimmy Doohan got me pretty good with one prank. He almost set the back of my shoe on fire."

NOTE: Siskel and Ebert's history reviewing Star Trek movies is interesting. Ebert was a Star Trek fan, and Siskel wasn't, but they reviewed nine Star Trek movies before Siskel died in 1999. The only one of the nine movies they both gave a thumbs down to was The Final Frontier. Siskel gave a thumbs down to TMP IRL, while Ebert gave a thumbs up. Siskel and Ebert gave thumbs up to TWOK, TSFS, TVH, and TUC. Siskel actually gave thumbs up to all three TNG movies (he died before Nemesis was made), and Ebert gave a thumbs up to First Contact, but thumbs down to Generations and Insurrection.

Last edited:
My favorite James Doohan moment (it starts at 2:30 in the below video):

IRL, Doohan and Shatner didn't get along so much that Doohan said once that "I'm fond of Captain Kirk. I'm not terribly fond of Bill Shatner."

My favorite James Doohan moment (it starts at 2:30 in the below video):

IRL, Doohan and Shatner didn't get along so much that Doohan said once that "I'm fond of Captain Kirk. I'm not terribly fond of Bill Shatner."
That's Korax (Michael Pataki) insulting humans, Captain Kirk and the Enterprise. I love how Chekov wants to fight because Kirk gets insulted, but Scotty doesn't fight until Korax calls the Enterprise a garbage scow

Chapter 130: December 1978
Short update for today, only three articles. We get an update on Iran, and two Star Trek updates, one on its box office take, and Paramount's position on a sequel.

mf photo mar6 p.jpg

TWO MILLION PROTEST IN IRAN: US CONDEMNS PROTESTS

December 12, 1978 (Note: This occurred IRL, but the way the US reacts is going to be different).

Two million Iranians took to the streets of Tehran yesterday to protest Shah Reza Pahlavi's rule. The protest, led by university students and blue-collar workers recently losing their jobs in a recession, has consumed the country and threatens the Shah's viability as the nation's leader. Despite efforts by President Reagan's administration to convince the Shah to institute democratic reforms, the Shah refused to consider them. "The Iran situation is deteriorating rapidly," Secretary of State Henry Kissinger told the Post. "We fear that a Soviet-aligned theocracy will overthrow the Shah within 90 days." The Reagan administration believes that the U.S.S.R. is funding the protests and is preparing a naval deployment to the Straits of Hormuz to prevent a hostile Iranian government from cutting the strategic chokepoint, which would precipitate a second oil crisis. "We cannot allow the Hormuz straits to be blocked off," Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger said. "The flow of oil from the Middle East to the United States is vital for the economic recovery the President is overseeing, and high gas prices will sink that recovery." Moscow condemned the American statement involving the Straits of Hormuz. "The Hormuz region is an international waterway, and should not be controlled by the United States," a statement from the Tass news agency proclaimed. "The Hormuz region belongs to the Iranians." Arms limitation talks, which resumed last year, could be disrupted by the events in Iran. "We cannot negotiate arms reduction with a Soviet government that is fomenting coups and engaging in warfare all over the world," Kissinger said.

STAR TREK SETS RECORD FOR ONE MONTH BOX OFFICE TAKE

December 18, 1978

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is setting new records at the box office. The blockbuster movie has now been number one at the theaters for a month, and has already taken in an estimated $175 million, an unprecedented haul. "Theaters have had to schedule morning and midnight performances for Star Trek ever since it premiered, and it will simply make even more money over Christmas week, a traditionally strong time for movies," Michael Eisner, the president of Paramount, told the Times. "We expected Star Trek to be a hit, but we never expected it to be as big as Star Wars, and that's what's happening. Paramount is swimming in money right now, and we have big plans to expand the entire studio," Eisner said. Paramount anticipates that Star Trek will remain a strong box office draw for three or four more months, and will exceed $300 million in revenue in the United States and $75 million internationally. "There will definitely be a sequel," an insider at Paramount said. "The question is, will Roddenberry be involved. He wants to make a completely different type of movie for the sequel, and Paramount wants to go with a similar plot for the sequel, perhaps with a different villain to replace the Klingons. Roddenberry feels conflicted about this. He is proud of the movie's success, but feels that we need to return to a more traditional story for the next movie."

hqdefault.jpg

PARAMOUNT: TREK SEQUEL GREENLIT

December 21, 1978

Paramount CEO Barry Diller and president Michael Eisner, after seeing the record-breaking performance of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, have approved a sequel with a budget in the range of $25 to $30 million. Star Trek has already blown away box office expectations, and is likely to become Paramount's highest grossing movie in its 66 year history, exceeding legendary movies like The Godfather and The Ten Commandments. The major question regarding a sequel is Gene Roddenberry's involvement. "Roddenberry is dead-set against making another movie with the level of violence seen in this movie. He wants a time travel story of some kind," an unnamed source at Paramount told Variety. Rumors have surfaced that two scripts are being pitched: one involving the assassination of John F. Kennedy, where Admiral Kirk and Mr. Spock meet Kennedy, and a sequel involving the Klingons claiming a planet belonging to the mythical Titans called "Planet of the Titans." "We will never place the Kennedy story into production, and we do not think the Titans story is fleshed out enough to be a sequel for the current movie," Jeffrey Katzenberg, Eisner's assistant at Paramount, said. "We could produce Titans as a television movie, if the cast agrees." It is rumored that Paramount has sent feelers out to Harve Bennett, currently at Universal Studios, to begin production of a sequel if Roddenberry refuses to return. "Bennett is an exceptional television producer, and if Titans goes ahead as a TV movie, we would like Bennett to be involved in some way," Katzenberg said. "We also believe that Bennett can produce a worthy Star Trek sequel for the big screen if Roddenberry decides to leave the franchise. Additionally, Bennett has worked with Shatner, which gives him a leg up."

Last edited: