Burying the Hatchet: A Nintendo/Sega TL

Will most likely debut with or slightly after Brawl ITTL so around 2008-2009.
That depends if Brawl is even in OTL schedule, could be pushed forward or back because butterflies.

Again you need the NFC Reader to begin with for amiibos and similar, meaning an add on or integrated with the next console to begin with

@Gaminguy010 remind me how Nintendo got fable? IIRC Molyneux was very big supporter of MS, come from the Black and White port?

Last edited:
@Gaminguy010 remind me how Nintendo got fable? IIRC Molyneux was very big supporter of MS, come from the Black and White port?
Fable was originally a Dreamcast title, and Nintendo has/had an "Ambassador Program" for games devs who were developing on the Dreamcast.
Fable got a discount on the licensing fee for shifting development to the GameCube and it's the last game to receive this special treatment.
This is also how Nintendo got Half-Life, as a Dreamcast port was in development. (OTL Half-Life Blue Shift was originally exclusive Dreamcast content but ended up on the PC.)

An excerpt from April 2002
One of the ways Nintendo was attracting developers was by giving Dreamcast developers a discount on licensing fees. Developers would get a discount should they port their Dreamcast titles to the GameCube. Nintendo said that this how they acquired the critically acclaimed Half Life for the GameCube’s launch.
A Recent One from just before E3 2003 (This one was specifically hinting at Fable)
To: Hideki Sato, President of Sega
Cc: The Transfer Program
1-3-2003
After much back and forth the discount amount of the final game in our “Dreamcast to GameCube Ambassador” program has been approved, with a final publishing discount of 40%. The developers are intending to showcase the game at E3 this year. The offices at Sega assisting in handling the program can now be diverted or closed.

With Thanks
Satoru Iwata, President of Nintendo

Fable was originally a Dreamcast title, and Nintendo has/had an "Ambassador Program" for games devs who were developing on the Dreamcast.
Fable got a discount on the licensing fee for shifting development to the GameCube and it's the last game to receive this special treatment.
This is also how Nintendo got Half-Life, as a Dreamcast port was in development. (OTL Half-Life Blue Shift was originally exclusive Dreamcast content but ended up on the PC.)
Nice use of the concept of Ambassador program ITTL, oh I see, I was reading up but that was a nice surprise hidden in plain sight, I always thought fable was planned for ps2 onward(only MS that wanted the exclusive) but if was already on DC, Molyneux got lucky that break. Especially as Nintendo would want that exclusive too.

That was a very subtle butterfly, great one

View attachment 656867
Promotional Art

Produced By
Ashi Productions Co., Ltd

Dubbed By
Funimation Global Group, LLC

Channel & Air Date
Cartoon Network
Toonami Block
Weekdays at 5:00 PM
Airs in between Totally Spies and Samurai Jack

Began Airing
October 3, 2003

Voice Cast
Ryu Suzaku: Eric Vale
Captain Falcon: Christopher Sabat
Jody Summer: Colleen Clinkenbeard
Lucy Liberty: Luci Christian
Jack Levin: Justin Cook
Samurai Goroh: Charles Campbell
Lisa Brilliant: Meredith McCoy
John Tanaka: Steve Blum
Dr. Stewart: Duncan Brannan
Dr. Clash: Mike McFarland
Super Arrow: Sean Schemmel
Ms. Arrow: Laura Bailey
Mr. EAD: Sonny Straight
James McCloud: Josh Grelle

The Dark Million
Black Shadow: Patrick Seitz
Miss Killer: Cynthia Cranz
Zoda: Chris Rager
Pico: Justin Cook
Octoman: Mike McFarland
Bio Rex: Dameon Clarke
The Skull: Christopher Sabat
Blood Falcon: Christopher Sabat​

The first Nintendo anime to be dubbed by Funimation. While previous anime series such as Sonic X, Kirby: Right Back At Ya! Were given to 4Kids, Nintendo of America offered the dub rights to Funimation before 4Kids as they thought the F-Zero series was better geared towards older kids and teens. Funimation handeled the show much better than OTL's 4Kids. Funimation kept the show's original opening theme and kept the names of the characters the same. Ryu Suzaku didn't get name changed to Rick Wheeler and Miss Killer wasn't changed to Luna Ryder. Cartoon Network bought the broadcast rights and began airing the series on their anime oriented Toonami Block. Airing at 5:00 PM EST, F-Zero would be the opening show on the Toonami Block.

Reception was overwhelmingly positive. While there was some criticism from fans of the series that the anime didn’t follow the games canon close enough, these complaints were drowned out by the praises of the line deliveries by the voice cast. The reception to the voice cast was so positive that Nintendo would start using them for the games. Most notably Christopher Sabat who became Captain Falcons permanent English voice actor, first being used in Super Smash Bros DS.
1: Will this motivate Nintendo to give the rest of their anime to Funimation to dub?
2: So, Smash will be on the Nintendo DS in this timeline. Cool!
3: Did Toonami see a boost of success and/or popularity from starting with this show?
4: Barring that, will past Nintendo shows air reruns on Cartoon Network and/or Boomerang?

1: Will this motivate Nintendo to give the rest of their anime to Funimation to dub?
2: So, Smash will be on the Nintendo DS in this timeline. Cool!
3: Did Toonami see a boost of success and/or popularity from starting with this show?
4: Barring that, will past Nintendo shows air reruns on Cartoon Network and/or Boomerang?
1. I looked up a list of anime based on games and Nintendo doesn't have any after F-Zero. (Barring anything that gets created as a result of butterflies.)
But I did find out that Sonic X didn't air in the US until September 6 2003. Meaning we can save Sonic X from 4Kids bad dubbing, but at the same time we'd most likely lose out on the voice cast too such as Mike Pollock as Eggman. I don't know how you guys feel about the voice cast though. (Weird I thought Sonic X already was airing. Must have confused it with Kirby. Glad I'm wrong though.)

2. This was explicitly stated in the chapter detailing Smash Bros Melee.

3. I'd say definitely yes. Mostly because F-Zero GP Legend replaced SD Gundam ITTL. (If you're wondering SD Gundam is a lighter and softer chibi-style spinoff.)

4. I'll find a way to squeeze Kirby: Right Back at Ya! somewhere in the CN Schedule when 4Kids loses their rights in 2005. We're gonna need to find shows to air later on because CN Real is not real ITTL.

Did this helped the game In the west too? So F-zero doesn't fall in his OTL hiatus? Maybe climax is localized or we got a day F-zero DS game too?
Yes. F-Zero anime is a massive boost to F-Zero GX sales and the F-Zero GP Legend GBA game, but Climax is butterflied away and replaced with a DS launch title developed by the F-Zero GX Team.

Alright folks, its time for another episode of "G** ******! OTL SEGA!" And this week, it comes back to a semi-common topic in Gaming alternative history:the development of Sonic X-Treme and the politics that lead to its cancellation. But one thing that got brought up in this episode what the name Michael Kosaka. Apparently, he got the boot due to the constant politics between SOA and SOJ. Afterwards, he went back to EA to do PS1 era Strike games and has done freelance work ever since.

In terms of this timeline, I'd like to ask this. I assume that much of the corporate staff in 90's era Sega is gone by this point. Would it be in the realm of possibility to bring Kosaka back for another mainline Sonic title in the future?

What's next?
Next Chapter: Sonic X
Upcoming Chapter: Pokemon Anime Season 6 / Pokemon Advanced
Upcoming Omake: Full Steam Ahead!
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Fall 2003
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Holiday/Winter 2003
Upcoming Chapter: The Duke of Nukem
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Spring 2004
Upcoming Chapter: E3 2004 / 2 Screens, Unlimited Potential
Upcoming Chapter: Dawn of the DS