How's the Redux?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sārthākā is there any chance to see an independent Nakhchivan State Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire-style?
Something akin to this:
tuFrnIY.png

I mean it's possible but highly unlikely. Armenia doesn't want to escalate things that far.
Well, this could also make Turkey intervene in the conflict and escalate the situation. Armenia could surely conquer a bit more territory than in OTL but apart from that, I do not see any major change. However, one country that could be different in this timeline is Czechoslovakia. With Russia keeping Crimea and Belarus we could see the Czech and the Slovac decide to remain united on a much-reformed basis that would come into being in the early 1990s and be strongly inspired by at the time ongoing Belgian state reforms.

Except the EU already has happened, it existed long before the PoD. If anything, it would just see the EU as more of the continuation of an economic union rather than becoming more of a pseudo-political union.

the European Union does exist, its monetary league doesn't. There's a slight difference.
Yup, my poorly explained idea was that because Germany, Benelux, Scandinavia (and the UK) are actually quite closely interlinked economies, they could see benefits of a NEURO (😉), even without France, Italy and Spain / Iberia.

Yup, my poorly explained idea was that because Germany, Benelux, Scandinavia (and the UK) are actually quite closely interlinked economies, they could see benefits of a NEURO (😉), even without France, Italy and Spain / Iberia.
A Euro with only those countries would be a beast of a currency. All the weak links removed from the chain.

A Euro with only those countries would be a beast of a currency. All the weak links removed from the chain.
Of those countries only Germany , the 3 Benelux and Finland actually use the Euro , the other 4 nations said no thanks we are not giving up the ability to control our currency.

Of those countries only Germany , the 3 Benelux and Finland actually use the Euro , the other 4 nations said no thanks we are not giving up the ability to control our currency.
The UK is a contrarian at the best of times, it's better if they stay out. The Scandinavians (minus Denmark) may very well jump on board if it's clear it's just going to be Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg.
At this point in time the Deutsche Mark is already so powerful having 'control' of your own currency is a nationalist myth. Truth is the European central banks called Frankfurt before doing anything because making a wrong move against the Deutsche Mark could end up costing you tons of money. It's a bit like having the freedom to burn your house down.

Well, this could also make Turkey intervene in the conflict and escalate the situation. Armenia could surely conquer a bit more territory than in OTL but apart from that, I do not see any major change. However, one country that could be different in this timeline is Czechoslovakia. With Russia keeping Crimea and Belarus we could see the Czech and the Slovac decide to remain united on a much-reformed basis that would come into being in the early 1990s and be strongly inspired by at the time ongoing Belgian state reforms.
Are you suggesting that Czechoslovakia stays united? Well, apart from a divergence for the sake of it I don't really see any difference on the European or World stage apart from there being one country less.

Are you suggesting that Czechoslovakia stays united? Well, apart from a divergence for the sake of it I don't really see any difference on the European or World stage apart from there being one country less.
But a still united Czechoslovakian football team might have more success such as winning Euro 96! In which OTL had the Czech team reached the final in which it might not be hard they could take down a pretty poor German team who only won by a Golden goal, so might it be not out of the realms of possibility for them to sneak the victory? The same thing goes for Yugoslavia in which if we don't get a complete break apart and leave with just Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia and what is left of a rump Yugoslavia then less teams in Europe will give others a chance to qualify for major tournaments *Cough*Scotland*Cough*.

I do wonder how football in Europe might change ITTL speaking of which?

Last edited:
The UK is a contrarian at the best of times, it's better if they stay out. The Scandinavians (minus Denmark) may very well jump on board if it's clear it's just going to be Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg.
At this point in time the Deutsche Mark is already so powerful having 'control' of your own currency is a nationalist myth. Truth is the European central banks called Frankfurt before doing anything because making a wrong move against the Deutsche Mark could end up costing you tons of money. It's a bit like having the freedom to burn your house down.
No way Norway would join, their historical path to independence means they have certain Red Lines policy wise, one of which is their own currency. Sweden refused the Euro after a referendum, on the polls there does seem to be a bit of a split but all subsequent opinion polls are not trending nearer acceptance.

@Sārthākā what do you think about this map that I have found about a possible future solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh war:
Meghri_Proposal.png

The so-called Meghri proposal ( also known as the "Goble Plan" ) was proposed in March 2001 by French President Jacques Chirac and included an exchange of territory whereby Azerbaijan would be granted sovereignty over a corridor across the southern Armenian region of Meghri that linked Nakhichevan and the rest of Azerbaijan, while the Lachin corridor linking the Republic of Armenia and the NKR, which Armenia has controlled since the spring of 1992, would be recognized as Armenian territory.
What do you think?

@Sārthākā what do you think about this map that I have found about a possible future solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh war:
View attachment 655746
The so-called Meghri proposal ( also known as the "Goble Plan" ) was proposed in March 2001 by French President Jacques Chirac and included an exchange of territory whereby Azerbaijan would be granted sovereignty over a corridor across the southern Armenian region of Meghri that linked Nakhichevan and the rest of Azerbaijan, while the Lachin corridor linking the Republic of Armenia and the NKR, which Armenia has controlled since the spring of 1992, would be recognized as Armenian territory.
What do you think?
that is certainly possible as a compromise.

that is certainly possible as a compromise.
Very plausible solution indeed but I think that the Armenians wouldn't like to cede their border with Iran: maybe the Meghri corridor remains in Armenia but the Meghri highway is transformed into a condominium between both parties to connect Nakhchivan to Azerbaijan that however can't be used by the Azerbaijani military. They could also reopen the railway, originally constructed in 1941, that linked Moscow with not only Azerbaijan, Armenia and Nakhchivan, but with the Iranian rail network as well via Julfa in Nakhchivan.

Last edited:
Very plausible solution indeed but I think that the Armenians wouldn't like to cede their border with Iran: maybe the Meghri corridor remains in Armenia but the Meghri highway is transformed into a condominium between both parties to connect Nakhchivan to Azerbaijan that however can't be used by the Azerbaijani military. They could also reopen the railway, originally constructed in 1941, that linked Moscow with not only Azerbaijan, Armenia and Nakhchivan, but with the Iranian rail network as well via Julfa in Nakhchivan.
Well, you have made a good point as in OTL it was exactly the cession of the Meghri corridor that made Armenia unwilling to sign. In any case, Azerbaijan could always be coerced by Russia into accepting such a deal but not in a too overt way since we have to remember that Baku has the Russian-operated Gabala Radar Station

I wonder how the domestically built Post-Soviet Airliner manufactures are going to preform TTL.

Thanks to the OTL economic crash in the 1990s Tupolev and Ilyushin failed to sell their next generation airliners.

I wonder how the domestically built Post-Soviet Airliner manufactures are going to preform TTL.

Thanks to the OTL economic crash in the 1990s Tupolev and Ilyushin failed to sell their next generation airliners.
Well, everything depends on how relations are between Russia and Ukraine.... the Antonov An-418, the Sukhoi KR-860 and the An-218 are still out of question but we can easily see more Tu-204s, Il-86s and Il-96s being produced. We would also likely see the introductions in the early 2000s of the Tupolev Tu-324 alongside the SSJ 100.
If Russia and Ukraine stay on friendly terms we could also see the Antonov An-70 enter mass production in the early 2000s and the re-engined Antonov An-124-300 enter service in the early 2010s to replace the retiring original An-124s. The Mig 1.44 could also be completed and the Su-37 could enter mass production in the late 1990s to replace the ageing Su-27s. The second Antonov An-225 could also be complete and used by the Russians for their space program. If Russia really wants to keep military spending up they can also complete the Yak -141/Yak-43M to and use it on the Kuznetsov-class carriers or even on a modernized kiev-class aircraft carrier (if relations with India deteriorate like in the previous timeline we could see a revamped Russian Navy opting to modernize the Admiral Gorshkov and keep it as an LHD type amphibious assault ship)

I have one question, OTL Ukraine was very integrated with the Russian economy before 2014, but ITTL Russia has both Belarus and Crimea without the war to make Kiev grow distant from Moscow. Furthermore, the EU is going to be much weaker in this world. With all those things in mind, it's safe to say Ukraine is going to be much more economically dependent on Russia, being surrounded and all.

Does this mean Ukraine will be even more close to being a Russian puppet state than pre-2014 OTL's Ukraine? Or maybe all this influence will make things fall apart quicker?

Will Russia try to create the situation for a re-anexation some decades down the road?

I believe making Russia a monarchy is going to help with the Ukranian issue, most of the grievances the Ukranians have with Russia have to do with Stalin's genocide. If Russia becomes a monarchy again they can claim to also be victims. And if they can keep being a democracy, then the chances become even better in the long run.
It would be challenging for Russia to keep a hold on Ukraine with such a late POD.
A reunification down the line is not impossible but would require Russia itself to be a very different country from OTL. Additionally, a reunification would require concessions towards Ukrainian nationalism and identity. In effect, it may have to a union of equals with Ukraine and Russian keeping their own laws and separate institutions. Pan-Rus institutions would then be built on the top, with possibly even a new capital built from scratch somewhere in Don/Volga valleys. Note that I am using the term Rus instead of Russian here as I don't believe that subsuming Ukraine into a Greater Russian state and identity was still possible by the 1990s.
The best analogy that I can think of for this "Russish Union" or "New Rus" would be Austria-Hungary but with stronger common institutions.

If there is a monarchic restoration in Russia, it could even mean that the reigning monarch has a different name and numeral in Ukraine, would need to be crowned separately in Ukraine etc.

Such a union could be made to work with compromises, good will etc. The resulting country and eventually nation won't be a new Russian Empire. It would instead be a reincarnation of the Kievan Rus under new auspices.

@Sārthākā
I still do not understand where was the POD that made the EU a nonentity, or why was making the EU basically disband necessary for there to be a strong Russia. Russia's greatest rival is not the EU. It is NATO and the US. The OTL EU was very willing to work with a geopolitically sane/sane-ish non-reactionary great/super power Russia.

If you wanted a POD that gets rid of Russia's main obstacles...it would be not to disband the EU but getting an isolationist US President into office post Bush (Ross Perot FTW?) combined with OTL scandals about Kohl and the CDU blowing up in Germany and the SPD getting into power ahead of schedule and the French behaving like the French always did to have NATO disband before 1995 rolls around.

Without NATO around for Russia to feel threatened constantly, and a financially unified EU, the Kremlin would get massive amounts of dosh in the form of EU investments (which, unlike the US investments, wouldn't be attached to strings like "Neoliberal Grand Theft Country" policies) that it could, finally, start doing some SERIOUS internal national gardening that had been two centuries overdue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.