A New Coat of Arms Thread

Cool idea and a pretty cool design !

I would have smoothed out the edges a bit, though. It's possible if you use a paintbrush tool in Paint or GIMP or other software, rather than a pencil. The pencil tool creates a hard edge, the paintbrush creates an edge you can smooth out into a neat transition, though it takes some degree of care.
I ll take a look at it, haven't really been using the paintbrush before, as I have mostly been doing easily-colourable maps. So yeah, will definitely try to smooth it out

I ll take a look at it, haven't really been using the paintbrush before, as I have mostly been doing easily-colourable maps. So yeah, will definitely try to smooth it out

Practice makes perfect. It took me a few years to get skilled at this, but I eventually got the hang of it. :)

8806E36B-4453-4ED4-8E8C-EDE8DB21017A.png

Arms of the Kingdom of Lusitania, established after the collapse of the Roman Empire in 752 A.D.

oaxJGBU.png

I think this goes here, but this is the Seal of the State of Santo Domingo, the 39th state in the Union. Kind of cheating though, since I just used elements of the IRL Dominican Republic seal (sort of how like when Texas was admitted, they just slapped "STATE OF TEXAS" onto their existing seal).

Looks more like a Panther to me (the Germanic one that is)
Oh? My mistake then. Actually I didn't know heraldic panther until I accidentally found one and decided to use it for my own coat of arms. But Guatemalan Nat-Synd's really looked like a dragon to me.

Oh? My mistake then. Actually I didn't know heraldic panther until I accidentally found one and decided to use it for my own coat of arms. But Guatemalan Nat-Synd's really looked like a dragon to me.

Oh wait, I got confused a little. For some reason I thought you were responding to your own coat of arms which I thoughts someone else had posted.
Dunno why.

Oh wait, I got confused a little. For some reason I thought you were responding to your own coat of arms which I thoughts someone else had posted.
Dunno why.
I see. Well, making two posts in a row wasn't the best idead. Should have done everything in one.:)

I wonder what could be the colors of this attributed coats of arms of Thrace and Moesia, as illustrated by Hristofor Zhefarovich:
076.jpg

055.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what could be the colors of this attributed coats of arms of Thrace and Moesia, as illustrated by Hristofor Zhefarovich:
076.jpg

055.jpg
The hatching in the picture could tell you. Commonly horizontal lines are Azure while dots are Or. There are other systems though so without knowing more information it's still hard to tell.

076.jpg

055.jpg
Looking at the shading he used for the CoAs of Bulgaria (link), Croatia (link) and Dalmatia (link) amongst others, he seems to have followed this convention:
horizontal shading = blue (azure), vertical shading = red (gules), dots = or (gold).
So I think Thrace is a gold lion on blue - not sure what the circle above the lion is meant to be, but it's gold too.
Moesia is a crown and inverted crown on blue - the crowns are probably depicted 'proper' i.e. in normal colours, so shadings of gold with gems in other colours (which I can't make out at this resolution).

Edit: 'red' for Moesia was a mistake - corrected to 'blue'

Last edited:
Looking at the shading he used for the CoAs of Bulgaria (link), Croatia (link) and Dalmatia (link) amongst others, he seems to have followed this convention:
horizontal shading = blue (azure), vertical shading = red (gules), dots = or (gold).
So I think Thrace is a gold lion on blue - not sure what the circle above the lion is meant to be, but it's gold too.
Moesia is a crown and inverted crown on red - the crowns are probably depicted 'proper' i.e. in normal colours, so shadings of gold with gems in other colours (which I can't make out at this resolution).

Moesia seems to share the same shading as Dalmatia and Thrace, so it seems to be Azure rather than Gules to me.

Moesia is a crown and inverted crown on blue - the crowns are probably depicted 'proper' i.e. in normal colours, so shadings of gold with gems in other colours (which I can't make out at this resolution).

Edit: 'red' for Moesia was a mistake - corrected to 'blue'
Moesia also appears to show a bordure like division but the hatching is the same either side
Perhaps a tressure?
Or perhaps to indicate it's an escutcheon on a shield of the same colour and any outline will do. Though that seems odd to me.

Edit: or maybe not? Looking at those other shields linked he's done something similar. Weird!

Last edited:
Moesia also appears to show a bordure like division but the hatching is the same either side
Perhaps a tressure?
Or perhaps to indicate it's an escutcheon on a shield of the same colour and any outline will do. Though that seems odd to me.

Edit: or maybe not? Looking at those other shields linked he's done something similar. Weird!
As you say, the same appears on many of his other shields - often with the charge actually overlapping the line. My best guess is that it's meant to represent a physical shield with the centre part being slightly raised - though that is only a guess, with nothing really to back it up - and the fact that he doesn't do it on all his shields is somewhat counter-indicative as well.

As you say, the same appears on many of his other shields - often with the charge actually overlapping the line. My best guess is that it's meant to represent a physical shield with the centre part being slightly raised - though that is only a guess, with nothing really to back it up - and the fact that he doesn't do it on all his shields is somewhat counter-indicative as well.
It's rather odd because it's unnecessary in heraldry. Maybe his base is limited?