These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

I don't see Carbone as a potential authoritarian. It seems to me like this circumventing the Constitution is more like, "we're in an immediate national emergency, things need to get done else we die. No time for debate or deliberation." Maybe it's just naivete but I do think that if there is a New England left after the war, it'll remain a democracy.

Can't wait to see how the Americans break any and all rules of war. I have a very deep feeling that they will go all out with chem/bio weapon attacks and war crimes.

Also kind of funny to see Americans as the arbiters of terrorism with their attacks on Commonwealth civilians.

Deleted member 77383

I’ve some questions when you’re ready to answer later

When did the insurgencies and civil unrest start in the US during the apartheid era before the present day? The 1960’s I presume? Which organizations fought back both with violence and non violence during the 60’s and beyond? And what would be an example?

Would Martin Luther King be equivalent to Nelson Mandela and the Black Panther Party to the Spear of the nation insurgent organization?

when was the CPO formed?

Has the US fought any wars between their neighbors in the past similar to the South African Border War?

What was life like during the apartheid era in America? Very similar to otl South Africa?

I don’t mean to bug you, I’m just very interested in this timeline. It’s awesome. Thanks so much for your time!

Briefly weighing in to say the last few updates have been phenomenal - really scratch my morbid itch for live social media updates and the apocalypse. The graphic design for alt-Twitter is excellent and really convincing.

I don't see Carbone as a potential authoritarian. It seems to me like this circumventing the Constitution is more like, "we're in an immediate national emergency, things need to get done else we die. No time for debate or deliberation." Maybe it's just naivete but I do think that if there is a New England left after the war, it'll remain a democracy.
Same. I'm reading that as similar to what Lincoln did at the start of the Civil War; technically speaking he couldn't suspend Habeas Corpus without the consent of Congress, but since Congress was out of session, he did it on his own and then had Congress retroactively approve it (though it took until 1863 for the Suspension Act to actually pass, if memory serves). So a temporary measure designed to ensure the country can respond to a critical threat, rather than some kind of intense power grab.

"Britannia, f**k yeah!"

Coming in to save the motherf**kin' day, yeah!
You know, after seeing dozens of TLs pitting a saintly US against a grimdark Britain, it's refreshing to see a story that not only turns the concept on its head, but also plays with it a little. While TTL US is undeniably repressive and corrupt, the British Empire has just enough skeletons in its closet to avoid being Mary Sue-ish.

ooMZNQO.png

9EMUsMg.png
Welp, I'm up shit's crick. I imagine the Champlain valley took heavy damage due to its strategic value.

Last edited: