These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

Wait isn't the US is already embroiled in a civil war, why would they launch a war to the British Empire? Seems whoever control of the US wants to speedrun America collaspes.

Wait isn't the US is already embroiled in a civil war, why would they launch a war to the British Empire?
I think that the main reason is this is the last gasp of a dying (albite powerful) regime. They are probably telling the Americans that the Britain attacked first and that the air strikes are justified, in order to try getting everyone back on board and get a rally round the flag effect going on. Of course this wont work but I think that the government knew that but was still trying a hail mary.

Last edited:
There is also the hope that Britain might somehow lose the peace. Cleaning up the mess the Hoganistas made is going to look like the occupation of the Confederacy in Timeline 191 look like a cakewalk.

I think that the main reason is this is the last gasp of a dying (albite powerful) regime. They are probably telling the Americans that the Britain attacked first and that the air strikes are justified, in order to try getting everyone back on board and get a rally round the flag effect going on. Of course this wont work but I think that the government knew that but was still trying a hail mary.
That seems, pretty dumb. Like in our world, when Mexico was invited to join the Central Powers and attack the US, they decline since they were in civil war.

Dictatorships mired in ideology, particularly those under panic/stress, regularly engage in illogical behaviour. Its an overly basic reading of foreign policy decision making to think that individuals pursue the rational choice at all avenues. Whether its Charles II's insane pride begetting civil war after civil war, the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour or the Argentine Junta's invasion of the Falklands, decisions which are evidently risky and potentially disastrous are made thanks to domestic politics, extreme convictions and ideologies or simple desperation.

I can absolutely see something like this happening, particularly if the Brits are funneling support to the opposition.

Wonderful wonderful work as well, great format and exciting to read. Can't wait for more.

So Hogan might not be the one who launched those attacks after all? Unless he got couped out right as the attacks happened.

I don't think Spain, which has supported anti-American rebellions, would go out of their way to support the regime. But now, I'm thinking that they might be attacking in the name of "anti-imperialism".

I don't see why the Empire would launch missiles to large civilian centers like NYC, which was already full of protesters against the regime? Maybe it was deemed to close to New England?

Super stellar stuff, can't wait for more.

By the way, thank you for reminding me of the single most terrifying film I have ever seen. I pray that Threads! America edition never happens in this timeline. It remains to date the only movie I have had nightmares over, and felt sickened by.
Likewise. Moreso than any other film, that did a great deal to shape my whole worldview.
Wouldn't it be horrible if TTL basically turns into, well, that, and we see the rich, prosperous, first-world New England destroyed as Sheffield was?

Then, as a resident of Upstate New York I'm probably dead even if this war stays conventional...

Connectr Posts: 28/29 May 2021
cfIy0y6.png

This concludes today's events. I will return tomorrow to answer people's questions!! Thank you to those on the discord server who followed along as this event took place live!! For now... ask any and all questions! I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Likewise. Moreso than any other film, that did a great deal to shape my whole worldview.
Wouldn't it be horrible if TTL basically turns into, well, that, and we see the rich, prosperous, first-world New England destroyed as Sheffield was?

Then, as a resident of Upstate New York I'm probably dead even if this war stays conventional...
Well there is one thing holding that back. America does not have sunlight in a bottle. And without that horrifying capability, humanity can still recover. Chemical weapons can pollute for years, decades, but they are limited to (relatively) small areas. Biological weapons is the greater danger, but even then they can be stopped with quarantine, vaccinations and severe restrictions. Nukes though release poison that attacks everything humans need, our water, air, food and our children. And America does not have them.

Britain does though. And if they choose to, which they might have done, it won't be Sheffield or Boston that burns, it will be Cincinatti, Hamilton, New Orleans and all the people whose only crime was to be ruled by a madman. And there will be countless American Ruths and Janes who suffer for it.

EDIT: Oh OK Hogan had a functioning brain after all. Er, good for him I guess. America is now led by a cabal of reactionary madmen instead of just one. And the British haven't gone nuclear yet thank christ. This is fantastic work, I feel like I'm in this world, glued to my phone watching the confused updates come in.

Last edited:
Well there is one thing holding that back. America does not have sunlight in a bottle. And without that horrifying capability, humanity can still recover. Chemical weapons can pollute for years, decades, but they are limited to (relatively) small areas. Biological weapons is the greater danger, but even then they can be stopped with quarantine, vaccinations and severe restrictions. Nukes though release poison that attacks everything humans need, our water, air, food and our children. And America does not have them.
Britain does though. And if they choose to, which they might have done, it won't be Sheffield or Boston that burns, it will be Cincinatti, Hamilton, New Orleans and all the people whose only crime was to be ruled by a madman. And there will be countless American Ruths and Janes who suffer for it.
EDIT: Oh OK Hogan had a functioning brain after all. Er, good for him I guess. America is now led by a cabal of reactionary madmen instead of just one.
I think the US does have a few nukes but I hope I'm wrong.
With regards to Hogan's, ah, incapacitation, my bet is that *America (can't even call it the same country as the one I inhabit and love) will probably fracture over time as the current regime heads become warlords battling it out over the nation's heartland. Just an idea though.

I think the US does have a few nukes but I hope I'm wrong.
With regards to Hogan's, ah, incapacitation, my bet is that *America (can't even call it the same country as the one I inhabit and love) will probably fracture over time as the current regime heads become warlords battling it out over the nation's heartland. Just an idea though.
The United States does not maintain a stockpile of nuclear weapons.
Word of God can help us rest somewhat easier. Somewhat.
Yeah, so Spain, sorry The Regime East of Portugal, is gonna get punted. They don't even crack the top 20 economies and they think attacking a UK thrice its population which seems to be fairly easily handling fighting the frickin USA is a good idea.
Funny, this seems like it will be the War of 1812 in reverse, with the UK presumerably devoting most of its energies to fighting in North America and diverting a relatively small army to fight a european power. Should still be able to roll Spain up and smoke it like a constitution.

Okay, all of this is just crazy, why would the US (or whichever faction was in control at the time) attack the empire? To create a united front of Americans to fight a common enemy, to actually fight the major power that supported the rebellions, I'm trying to better understand?

Americans when Britain asks why they just detonated several biochemical weapons in London:

"Just kyllt 5000 Neu Ingglish Traytors in Cunnetincut via surfaice-zu-areo mizzile stryk. Gott sieve The United States of America!"
EpDHBkMXYAA7p7G.jpg

Just because America has no nukes doesn't mean they can't cause massive devastation to the British Empire. In Pax Atomica, the Soviets had no nukes but were still able to decimate the US with chemical and biological weapons.

Stellar work again, as always! I have, many, many questions on my mind right now.
  • So the government east of Portugal really were behind the attacks. Perhaps their government got Hogan'd too, or is it just another group of rogues attacking Gibraltar?
    • Side tangent: is that the only name the Empire calls them? No "south of France" or "north of Morocco"? Are there any Spanish governments-in-exile, and if so, where do they reside?
  • And if I'm reading this correctly, it seems like the Californian assault (intentional or otherwise) somehow lead the USA to attack the Empire? If that is true, I don't see California being a friend to Empire anytime soon.
  • At least Hogan is sane and alive. Where is he now? Which areas does he have still control over?
  • Nice to know that Texas has finally broken free. Also, really neat to see the change of flags under Jerome Taylor's name in his two posts. Hopefully Louisiana gets a better flag than just a seal in blue. I take it that Connectr (as is perhaps most social media) is British?
  • What does Carbone exactly want to get done that's limited by their constitution?
EDIT:
  • What is the reasoning behind the profile picture of the user after the all-black one? I assume the first is just a personal picture, the second being a sign of solidarity with the victims of the attack, but the third?
  • What is the user's timezone? Based on the discrepancy with Carbone's planned speech on 9 PM being posted on 9:45 PM, maybe GMT-0?
  • Can we have explanations for the alt-terminology of Connectr?
  • Outside of Empire, Argentina, Russia, and California, who else has declared war against the USA (or at least plans to send military aid to the Empire)?

Last edited: